anyone else "still" hate the 25th anny figures?

Toiletmonkey1

Not meaning to start any sh@t, but man i cant stand these figures. while some of them do look good. to me these would only be nice wallpaper for a joe room. im just curious about how many are buying to "play with" and how many people are leaving them MOC cause the retro look??

TM

• Like 1

Well I like some of the figures, while others I hate. I only own the wave 1 COBRA 5-pack, and so far the only one that has me peeved is Baroness. The other GIJOEs from wave 1 look mostly bland to me except Scarlett.

For wave 2, I love Beach-Head and the COBRA 5-pack(all of them, actually). The others I hate from that wave.

Wave 3 has only the COBRA Trooper that is redeemable. The others I hate or have at least one major flaw that makes me not want them.

If there are two things I hate about the 25th Anniversary figures, it's this:

1. They need to come with a lot more accessories.

2. Not all figures are designed equally(particularly Baroness, who sucks big time).

I don't keep anything MOC because if I don't get to play with any of my figures, they're just eye candy and I wouldn't be able to give them roles in my universe.

Aside from the negatives, I must say this about some figures:

COBRA Commander from the 5-pack(Wave 1): Despite the small head, I love this figure. It suits as THE perfect COBRA Commander.

Destro: Looks great as a secondary version while the 1988 version remains my default version.

COBRA Trooper(Wave 1): Aside from his baldness, he looks a lot like the originals and is a good substitute over the easily breakable originals.

Storm Shadow(Wave 1): Finally, the PERFECT Storm Shadow has arrived. V1, the comic pack version, and the Valor vs. Venom version that came with Kamakura all had their own merits but none of them could beat this version.

Beach-Head: I am throughly impressed with the figure because this can replace the original one with the melon head(although my satisfaction with my custom Beach-Head has me wondering if I want to buy this one).

Stinger Driver: See wave 1 COBRA Trooper.

Storm Shadow(wave 2): Before the comic pack version ever existed, the valor vs. Venom version was my default version. He had so much detail and looked cool. With the skirt gone, I definitely find this figure more appealing.

COBRA Commander: I would probably use this figure as an impostor or someone else...not sure.

COBRA Air Trooper: A better looking version of the gasmask troopers...if I did buy the 5-pack I would definitely get rid of the old gasmask troopers I got.

COBRA Trooper: Looks more appealing than the original comic pack COBRA Troopers.

Single Pack COBRA Commander and Storm Shadow: See my description for the wave 1 COBRA Trooper.

Overall, Hasbro is off to a great start with these figures.

I really look at the 25th as a totally separate line from the original RAH. I will always love the RAH figures and nothing can ever replace them. The 25th are, in my eyes, a beautiful and well executed modern take on GI Joe. They fit in pretty well with some of the VvV, though I have gotten to the point where I don't really care for the VvV with their short arms, proportion problems, etc.

Some great sculpting work and attention to the details of the original RAH figures have made these absolutely amazing for me. I'm actually just as excited about the direction of GI Joe now as I was in the early 80's.

That's just me though. I look at these as an entirely different line, which helps a little in dealing with the scale and style difference between the 25th and RAH.

I can still get my RAH fix through releases from GIJCC and the con sets, so I'm ok with that.

i use to only collect rah i dispised vvsv,jvsc,and spy troops now that the 25th figs are out, im collecting some of the newer joes to go with the 25th. i do play with them and wave 1 felt flimsy like if i loked at them funny they whould brake but wave 2 feels alot better even lady jay feels more dourable. these are my definitive joes. and i will proubly army build espesely now that i know there will be 5 packs at tru

That's just me though. I look at these as an entirely different line, which helps a little in dealing with the scale and style difference between the 25th and RAH.

this says it all for me, and partly why i hate hasbro so much. every couple of years its a new scale a new style a type of joe to keep seperate from all the others. that only looks good with others in the same style anyone else feel this way? im done collecting ANY new joes. i just cant start a new seperate collection ever 2 or 3 years. im one burnt out collector right now!

Make mine ARAH! :)

TM

• Like 1

I love the new 25th figures mainly because i loved the originals. Only weakness is the neck and thats a trade off for bigger trap Muscles. I also wish they were closer in scale to Rah. But other than that the figures are phenomenal and im getting them all.

this says it all for me, and partly why i hate hasbro so much. every couple of years its a new scale a new style a type of joe to keep seperate from all the others. that only looks good with others in the same style anyone else feel this way? im done collecting ANY new joes. i just cant start a new seperate collection ever 2 or 3 years. im one burnt out collector right now!

TM

It doesn't bother me that much, with my Cobra Armies... The articulation is all the same for JvC, ST, VvV, RAH and RAHC... All the soldiers look good together, and I only use one specific version of each unique character. So far none of the 25th figures have impressed me enough to take the place of their RAH counterparts except for maybe Storm Shadow (and that's just maybe).

I do enjoy the look of them all, but not when combined with all my other troops... (I'm gonna see about resetting up all the armies on my pool table for you people to see...)

-Kevin

I'm kinda in G.I. Joe-collecting limbo right now. I've went from collecting a little bit of everything from RAH to Sigma 6 to the DTC stuff to selling everything except my DTC collection and some select mint vintage loose Joes. I went from a rather large modern collection to just the DTC and Anniversary stuff. I had viewed the Anniversary stuff as a reboot if you will of my Joe collection; it just seemed like a good place to start over. I ordered the 5-pack box sets very early, and I was impressed with the overall presentation of the new figures in the retro-inspired packaging. But...my curiosity got the best of me, and I tore open both sets, which by the way were in absolutely mint boxes. I just had to see for myself what all the fuss was about with these new figures. My first reaction was disgust; these new figures seemed gangly and very fragile. They wouldn't hold their accessories very well, if at all, and once again the sculpting and construction was inconsistent; some figures' joints were more loose than others, and some of them could sit well, while others couldn't at all. I really wish I had kept these in their boxes just for display, because despite a couple of exceptions, that's what the five-pack figures are mostly good for I think. But I could see the potential. That's where the single-carded figures came into play. They seemed MUCH better in terms of tight joints and the ability to hold their weapons well. I was fortunate enough to be able to get multiples of Wave 1, and so far I've just opened the extra Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadows, but they are really great. Their joints are nice and tight, they can be posed very well, and they hold their accessories perfectly. I even have Storm Shadow holding his sword with both hands, and he just looks great on my shelf along with Snake-Eyes.

Judging by what I've seen with the single-carded figures, Hasbro's on the right track, and I couldn't be happier. I just wish they were easier to come by at retail. I've not seen even a sign of Wave 2 at retail anywhere. I really, REALLY want Beachhead and Stalker in a bad way.

And...nobody's really saying anything, but...I'm excited about the DTC Wave 4 figures being available through Master Collector. Granted they'll probably charge an arm and a leg for them, but I'm glad we're actually gonna get a shot at 'em after being disappointed over their cancellation. Am I the only one who's excited about that?

And...nobody's really saying anything, but...I'm excited about the DTC Wave 4 figures being available through Master Collector. Granted they'll probably charge an arm and a leg for them, but I'm glad we're actually gonna get a shot at 'em after being disappointed over their cancellation. Am I the only one who's excited about that?

Me too actually! And it would be the GIJCC selling it, not Master Collector. ;)

TM

Well, I really can sympathize with you on the new scale every year or so. That bothered me to no end as well.

I made it a point at the con to ask Hasbro (specifically Neal ) about the future of the line in terms of sticking with the scale. I said, in the most respectful way I could, that "It gets really old with the changing of the figure make up and scale every few years. Since this new style seems to work pretty well, stick with it, if for nothing else than being consistent."

They said that they would stick with this style for the foreseeable future, and would most likely continue it into the movie toys as well.

I know that some people, like yourself, are not all on board this whole thing, but if they keep it consistent and stick with it for a long while, maybe that would bring a little more solidarity and flow to the GI Joe line.

Oh, and I agree with Ccav. The magic is missing for you because Fro-Joe has not made his 25th appearance. It's just common sense! ;)

TM, you're not alone. I don't hate them but...

QUOTE(GGPiKE @ Oct 6 2007, 11:56 PM) *

this says it all for me, and partly why i hate hasbro so much. every couple of years its a new scale a new style a type of joe to keep seperate from all the others. that only looks good with others in the same style anyone else feel this way? im done collecting ANY new joes. i just cant start a new seperate collection ever 2 or 3 years.

pretty much sums it up for me too. Reinventing the wheel every 3 years or so, sucks.

They are awesome looking figures though, just not for me. Too big.

Still waiting for a new sculpt Bazooka that's not 4.5 "

I am collecting them, although they do have some flaw:

they are too tall

the face sculpts on many of them are pretty terrible

they do not have enough accessories (where are the back packs?)

they are not poseable enough (especially in the leg/thigh area)

they seem kinda cheap

funky hands

It is quite possible that if they didn't have the retro packaging, I would not even be collecting them.

as of now, I am avidly hunting them down.

I think despite the flaws they are pretty cool, best NEW SCULPT GiJoe items yet.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as Clam. I like them for now but refuse to open any of them, as of yet. I had all of the originals and I like the updated look. I needed something to keep me busy between ML releases and I figured why not Joes. They'll look good hanging on my empty wall in the basement. Other than SE & SS, I'm not really coming across enough extras of them to think about opening any at this point.

I`m still holding out judgement until a few more waves come out. There are definantly some turds in the line (Duke, Flint, Cobra Commander, Baroness, Scarlett) but there are a few that I do like so far. I know what you mean though because they really just don`t feel like Gi Joe figures to me. The line so far has been pretty mediocre at best.

I am collecting them, although they do have some flaw:

they are too tall

the face sculpts on many of them are pretty terrible

they do not have enough accessories (where are the back packs?)

they are not poseable enough (especially in the leg/thigh area)

they seem kinda cheap

funky hands

It is quite possible that if they didn't have the retro packaging, I would not even be collecting them.

as of now, I am avidly hunting them down.

I think despite the flaws they are pretty cool, best NEW SCULPT GiJoe items yet.

Everyone saw this right...? Clam is collecting "new sculpt"... *faints*

(What weekend are you coming down btw!? I've found more RAH stuff that I shouldn't have.)

-Kevin

I like them, better than RAH, J vs C, Spy Troops, V vs V. RAH was great for it's time. , but that was then this is now(25th style). Retro cards makes them even sweeter. As long as figs from the RAH line continues, I'll get them all. The reason I didnt buy more of J vs C, Spy Troops, or V vs V, was cuz they messed up the Joe formula. And with those lines, I bought only my favorite characters, Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow. But as I stated, if they continue with RAH characters in the new style, I'm getting them all. But as far as RAH goes, if I could get'em all, I would. Cuz I said the same thing about vintage Star Wars(vintage being outdated...), but now I'm trying to get all them as well as the newer "updated" figures.