With Devil's Due's hold on the GIJoe comic book license coming to a end within the next year, what company would you like to see get it?

JayC

I voted Marvel, they still get my vote on the best issues released, even with the pointless kill off towards the end, and everyone being a friggin Ninja issues, again towards the end run!!

I'm abstaining from voting! I honestly think Marvel will get the liscence. We also discussed this many times at the Con, and kept mentioning the Hasbro-Marvel ML-deal, and assume there's a comic-comment in there somewhere. I do enjoy DD's comics, even with the killing of characters. And if it does go back to Marvel, assume Hama will be writing those comics as well.

-Kevin

Make mine Marvel!

if marvel gets the comic do you think the movie will be done under the marvel name?

No it wouldn't. The movie is through Paramount and Hasbro. Marvel if they got the comic book license would likely do a comic book adaptation for the movie but that would be it.

I voted Marvel also. I liked reinstated and America's Elite - but I'm also starved for anything Joe. As I said in another thread, I feel the Joes under DDP are soft and all too often bested. To me the best DDP issues are the Special Missions stand alones. I don't know if Hama would definitely take back the title - but Marvel is a much bigger company with a larger pool of well known artists and writers.

On a side note, did anyone sit in on the DDP panel on Sunday. Alot of 'I don't want to say', 'no comment', etc. Even when asking simple questions like which 5 characters would you kill off if you could - the response was 'I don't want to name a Hasbro guys fav char and piss him off'. And I was also told that Hasbro has them on a heavy leash. A bigger company might have some more weight to pull.

I voted DC for one reason......the chance of seeing a Jim Lee drawn GI Joe comic would make my head explode.....he's my favorite artist and he's somehow never done any GI Joe stuff from what I know. I do think Marvel will pick it up but still.

I would love to see Marvel get the GI Joe license again, partially for the same reason I want the 25th Anniversary action figures to look exactly like their vintage counterparts: nostalgia. Marvel and more importantly Larry Hama, created an in-depth and complex story with convincing plotlines spanning countless issues. Characters were established in one or two word balloons, and it never came off as forced. Make Mine Marvel!

I say marvel, too. DD has tried to make things TOO realistic and in my opinion, this has made it boring. There's long, drawn out, soap-opera esque scenes and just not enough action. It needs more sci-fi for me. Personally I'd rather see friggin Venomous Maximous in a comic than have the Joe team reduced to an episode of CSI.

Plus, like the others have said, if you give it to one of the big two (DC, Marvel) theres more chance better writers and artists will pick up the book. Its been kind of hit and miss with the talent at DD.

I'm abstaining from voting! I honestly think Marvel will get the liscence. We also discussed this many times at the Con, and kept mentioning the Hasbro-Marvel ML-deal, and assume there's a comic-comment in there somewhere. I do enjoy DD's comics, even with the killing of characters. And if it does go back to Marvel, assume Hama will be writing those comics as well.

-Kevin

I do believe I was a participant in those discussions and I still agree! :)

if marvel gets the comic do you think the movie will be done under the marvel name?

No it wouldn't. The movie is through Paramount and Hasbro. Marvel if they got the comic book license would likely do a comic book adaptation for the movie but that would be it.

it would be cool if they did one those cartoon movies like they have done with ironman, dr strange, and the avengers

I voted for Marvel and I think WHEN they get it back they should completely disregard anything Devil's Due did.

Alot like when Mirage got the TMNT license back and completely disregarded Image?

Well, that would bring back Flash, Mainframe, Chuckles, Recondo, and Lady Jaye (just off of the top of my head). I could probably agree with that. And I assume that Hasbro owns Kamakura since they made figs..

MARVEL for sure.....I do like some of what Devil's Due did...but they really shot themselves in the foot with some of their stories.

Serpentor's return was TOO fast and basically turned to be a waste. I did like some aspects such as Serpentor's new suit, the formation of the Coil, focus on Zandar, Cobra Commander & Serpentor's final stand-off. But the story was rushed too quickly and the character deaths didn't have the same impact as previous ones...it was just an excuse to kill them off. As I also come to think of it...though I like some of his work, Tim Seeley was not the best choice for art during this story arc.

Brandon Jerwa on the monthly title...I think fans got caught in the hype of Jerwa's excellent Chuckles story that he did for FRONTLINE and he followed STRONG with the superb "Master & Apprentice" storylines. But on the monthly title he just didn't fit so well. I, personally, was not fond of some of his character creations such as Wraith and pushing him hard into the limelight and he had some good moments. But the Red Shadows storyline was terrible and I really was struggling for interest in the GI Joe comic at that point. I am glad he was taken off.

Reloaded was a bust...it started well and the Duke as a Cobra agent was a great twist...but it just didn't have it.

America's Elite is pretty darn good and I have been excited about it ever since the whole "Phoenix Guard" story started up...I did NOT expect the characters to actually be Cobra agents until they started dropping more obvious hints. America's Elite has been among the best...though the Snake-Eyes/Sei'Tin storyline was kooky...I am enjoying the book as of now.

Bring it home to Marvel. Make mine Marvel!

I want to see a Snake-Eyes/Wolverine crossover.

Snake-Eyes and Scarlett/Wolverine and Psylocke vs. the Hand

Arashikage Clan vs. The Hand

I don't think we should assume that if Marvel got the rights to G.I. JOE that it would be just like it was back in the 80s or 90s. Back then the comic was just a commercial for the toys. That has not been the case with Devil's Due. That is why Devil's Due has been killing people off right and left. Because they can! Marvel Comics with the kind of creative license Devil's Due has now? Who knows what that will be like.

I think we should also take into consideration that Marvel sold the rights to their old Joe back issues to Hasbro. Are they even really interested in G.I. Joe?