should i be worried ( target employees help )

TRUESTYLE

can you really blame store guys for not wanting to help you though?.. lets face people are rude jerkasses if I could find a good paying job where I would never have to work with or help people again I would jump on it :P

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you really blame store guys for not wanting to help you though?.. lets face people are rude jerkasses if I could find a good paying job where I would never have to work with or help people again I would jump on it :P

I agree! :)

And from a "save money" standpoint, technically, it's cheaper for them to have one employee work 12 hours than it is for two to work 14. The amount they have to pay per employee is higher than people realize.

Now before you attack me, I don't AGREE with the policy, but if I was crunching numbers, I'd consider the 1-12:2-14-ratio if my workers DO put up with all that crap.

Not as a business manager yet, but I am friends with one of the Divison heads for Target Pharmacies, and plan to try to use him as an in. Target could, in theory, overhaul their entire operation, and become the "employee-friendly"-employer that MIGHT cause a change in the entire retail system. Since there's no proof that it will be profitable for them at this point in time, don't expect much change.

-Kevin

I expect change to eventually come, but I seriously doubt if you see that change come from a Target or Walmart.

Basically those are the big 2 in retail right now and there's plenty of business going around for both.

Some day though, other chains will start to slowly rise to challenge them. One way they may decide to attack Walmart and Target is to go after what they're weak at and that's making sure they hire good people to provide better service.

How do they do that you ask?

Well...my theory here.

If companies pay crappy wages and offer crappy benefits then chances are over time the people working there by and large won't be very good.

Every store is the same in the fact that you have a few shiny diamonds in the workforce surrounded by a whole lot of turds!

Now, we can talk about how something like an entry level retail job pays low because basically it's unskilled labor that just about anyone can do. Well if it is, then WHY do so many people have so many customer service complaints?

Why is it so hard to get good people to accomplish relatively "easy" tasks (like properly stocking shelves) when supposedly ANYONE can do that job?

Anyone CAN do the job. But NOT everyone can do it well. Isn't it funny how society as a whole can take for granted the worth of what they view as the "simplest of jobs."

There is NOTHING simple about working in retail. There's nothing simple about working any job really. IF YOU'RE WORKING HARD! Especially when it's these huge companies raking in money like it's raining $100 bills. I can also honestly say, that probably more than 80% of the people making more money than me in the world, COULDN'T DO the job I currently do. I just don't think they'd be able to handle it too long. So take that for skill!

This was the point that led to the near passing of the "big box ordinance" which initially passed here in chicago and would have made large retailers like Walmart and Target pay a minimum $10 an hour starting wage to employees.

.....Of course Target leading the way, cried bloody murder and eventually got it overturned. They threatened to pull out of building several more stores in the city. Even though the bill was presented as something that could potentially benefit these companies in the long run. Better paid, happier workers hopefully meaning better people applying for their jobs was one of the hopes of this bill.

SOMEONE will come along one day and offer people something better. In return, they'll find it much easier to find good people to do a great job and that will be the chain that starts the next cycle of change to the industry.

Here's another thing to consider that's a bit more scary.

Major corporations are still outsourcing every job they don't feel is necessary if they can find outside nations to do it at a cheaper rate. This really began with our manufacturing industry. We still see factories being shut down left and right and people losing jobs.

When they start running out of those jobs to export where do you suppose they'll turn next?

How about the offices. Paper pushers, analysts, and all kinds of "skilled" office jobs will start flying out the window next. Then what's gonna be left? The service industry will keep getting bigger and bigger and probably cheaper because that's all most of us will eventually be. Nothing more than servants!

I have no problem with working in retail. It's actually been my favorite out of all of the jobs I've had. In fact, aside from one or two bad apples, I like the customers and dealing with people in general. I've had good times and bad and I can say the biggest problem in retail is the people that run the store.

Management and employees.

If you could work on your own without talking to anyone, getting involved in internal politics, etc...yes it would be a boring job, but at least you'd do it, couldn't blame the problems on anyone else, or have them blamed on you. The only person it would affect is you and you alone, not everyone in a chain.

Or you can make friends, be a chatty Kathy doll, and watch the dominoes fall when one person screws up.

I tried to find a solid mix between the two, I really did. That didn't work.

I tried the "let's hang out and be friends, let's have a great time on and off the clock!" thing. That didn't work.

I tried the "off to myself, work my butt off, do my own thing. When asked, assist and offer to assist when necessary." and it worked. It was the smarter thing to do.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with making friends out of your co-workers (I did that at a carwash/gas station I worked at) and sometimes it works (like the CW/GS setting, where everyone's a bit of an everyman and just wants to have a good day.) and others it doesn't (like a retail setting or convenience store setting where there's more than one person, or a restaurant).

Obi-Wan Kenobi's line fits here "You won't find a more retched hive of villainy and scum" and it's true. My co-workers would gossip, they would cut shifts to go party with one another, they'd talk crap behind the manager's back and vice versa (wow...she should have never been a manager...she was a terrible loud mouth and always misconstrued what was said, sometime on purpose...) and it just wasn't worth it.

Oh yes, I got caught up in that crap too, I ended up gossipping without even thinking about it and I regret it every day. I ended up covering shifts for idiots who didn't deserve it, etc.

My last job, the human resources head said "It wouldn't hurt for you to work on your interpersonal skills. I never see you really conversing with any of your co-workers or the management. You keep it strictly business in a business about people (what a load of bull that last part was) and while that's good for you, it kinda kills morale. You alienate yourself."

I said "My job is my main focus. I have bills to pay, clothing to put on my back, and food to put on my table. All else pales in comparison. However, I have one question. How's my job performance?"

The HR head said "Oh it's been good. You were only out for two sick days, you haven't been late, you haven't left early, and the customers have rated you one of our nicest and fastest cashiers. In fact, other than the one foul up you had with the customer's groceries back when you were training....you've been well...as close to impeccable as one could get."

I said "Well, I fail to see the problem then. I do my job, I'm courteous to the customers, I'm patient with them, I'm quick with a register, I'm dependable, and the only problem is I don't fraternize with my co-workers? I'm sorry. I just don't think business and pleasure should mix. If you choose to do so after you're off the clock, then by all means." She was floored but reluctantly agreed with me.

I was never curt to my co-workers, I just wasn't open to them, and it worked out a lot better than I had thought it would. Might make me a prick in someone's book, but oh well.

Yeah that's pretty much how I am most of the time myself.

Don't get me wrong, I still get caught up in the bull sessions more than I should but the rest of the time I mainly keep focused on what I need to do.

When I do talk about things, I'm sure it comes out sounding complacent to some but what it really is I think is constructive criticism that they just don't want to hear. They want people to know their place and stay in it.

I've always enjoyed retail and that's why I'm still doing it. When I started Target I did have goals of moving up quickly and worked my ass off to make it so. All it got me was basically exiled to a frozen hell.

For keeping focused on my job and busting my ass all I hear is how I'm grumpy all the time. #WTF#

....Yet if I'm all smiley and chatty then I'm wasting company time. So how exactly does one win?

I am a very friendly person, prone to bad moods like anyone and when I am in a bad mood is when I just try to keep as much to myself as possible. Of course, that's not always a good thing either cuz sometimes the last thing I need is to be alone with my thoughts.

That's when it's good to have a "team member" around to lend a hand. Those will be the people who end up really knowing a bit about who you are. Not the judgmental jerks who don't seem all that eager to take the time from their busy day to ever start a chat with you. Am I right!

I've heard some funny things said about me. Who knows what is and isn't true or who really said what and quite honestly I don't care.

Some people have seen me as a bit of a snobbish prick because I'm quiet. Those who know better know that I'm not a hold anything back kinda person. I'm as open and honest of a person as you'll ever want to meet.

Of course, very few ever really take the time to get to know that. In fact, I can't think of anyone (family included) who knows anything at all about me on a deep level. It's not that my feelings are that buried that anyone would have to dig for either, I've just never had anyone that truely cared enough to find out or simply ask.

How pathetic is that?

Yeah that's pretty much how I am most of the time myself.

Don't get me wrong, I still get caught up in the bull sessions more than I should but the rest of the time I mainly keep focused on what I need to do.

When I do talk about things, I'm sure it comes out sounding complacent to some but what it really is I think is constructive criticism that they just don't want to hear. They want people to know their place and stay in it.

I've always enjoyed retail and that's why I'm still doing it. When I started Target I did have goals of moving up quickly and worked my ass off to make it so. All it got me was basically exiled to a frozen hell.

For keeping focused on my job and busting my ass all I hear is how I'm grumpy all the time. #WTF#

....Yet if I'm all smiley and chatty then I'm wasting company time. So how exactly does one win?

I am a very friendly person, prone to bad moods like anyone and when I am in a bad mood is when I just try to keep as much to myself as possible. Of course, that's not always a good thing either cuz sometimes the last thing I need is to be alone with my thoughts.

That's when it's good to have a "team member" around to lend a hand. Those will be the people who end up really knowing a bit about who you are. Not the judgmental jerks who don't seem all that eager to take the time from their busy day to ever start a chat with you. Am I right!

I've heard some funny things said about me. Who knows what is and isn't true or who really said what and quite honestly I don't care.

Some people have seen me as a bit of a snobbish prick because I'm quiet. Those who know better know that I'm not a hold anything back kinda person. I'm as open and honest of a person as you'll ever want to meet.

Of course, very few ever really take the time to get to know that. In fact, I can't think of anyone (family included) who knows anything at all about me on a deep level. It's not that my feelings are that buried that anyone would have to dig for either, I've just never had anyone that truely cared enough to find out or simply ask.

How pathetic is that?

I'd say sad is the correct word for that. I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

And my sincerest regrets to TRUESTYLE, we pretty much threadjacked the crap out of this for him.

Because of complaints by customers er scalpers we are not allowed to purchase figures overnight anymore

So I will now by these figures before the store closes

They want to stop us from getting these figures but there are other ways of getting them

The dumb asses

The thing is if we worked during the day it would be ok to get them

Geez this place is so screwed up

Because of complaints by customers er scalpers we are not allowed to purchase figures overnight anymore

So I will now by these figures before the store closes

They want to stop us from getting these figures but there are other ways of getting them

The dumb asses

The thing is if we worked during the day it would be ok to get them

Geez this place is so screwed up

Or probably complaints too by parents who's kids are bugging the crap out them for these figures that nobody can find. They're probably complaining to the stores that there are so many on ebay for more expensive prices but somehow they can't ever manage to find them in any stores and they're getting pissed.

So obviously it must be the crooked overnight employees taking them all!!!

Nevermind the fact that the figures have just been slow to ship from Hasbro and distribution hasn't been very good. No, that couldn't possibly have anything at all to do with it. :rolleyes:

My store tried to cut us from pretty much buying anything at all overnight. They wanted to only let us buy something once a night at first break and that's it, and only food items.

They said if we wanted to buy anything else we'd have to come back at, or work to 8am when the store opens to buy stuff.

Well they told us collectibles

They then put signs in front of the Star Wars figures and the Transformers

But not GI Joe :P

I can buy DVS and such but not those two toylines unless its during business hours

I've been told that they keep an eye on what I buy. Apparently they are afraid that I might be using my position to get rare figures to sell on ebay or something. If that were the case, don't you think I'd be all over everything and not not just Transformers. @pow@

Silly people!

They must get me confused with the guy in AP or just figure that if he sells toys for profit than that's what I must be doing too.

I know scalpers too though and I know how they act, especially when they're having a hard time finding what they want. They don't believe that it's possible that a store can go weeks without getting in any new stuff to replenish the shelves so after awhile they like to complain and try to get someone in trouble.

Insisting that someone in the store is taking them all for themselves is one of the most common accusations they like to make though they have no proof to back it up and in most cases, they're simply talking out of their ass.

I'm sure anyone who's spent enough time working a toy department is well aware of the trouble they like to cause. They probably change their tactics too so they look more like an angry parent so that the store takes their complaints more seriously. They're not all dumb!

haha madman you should invite a key group of whiners over to you're house for bbq or something one time & then all they can do is laugh at the idiot collector :P

Well they told us collectibles

They then put signs in front of the Star Wars figures and the Transformers

But not GI Joe :P

I can buy DVS and such but not those two toylines unless its during business hours

I've been told that they keep an eye on what I buy. Apparently they are afraid that I might be using my position to get rare figures to sell on ebay or something. If that were the case, don't you think I'd be all over everything and not not just Transformers. @pow@

Silly people!

They must get me confused with the guy in AP or just figure that if he sells toys for profit than that's what I must be doing too.

I know scalpers too though and I know how they act, especially when they're having a hard time finding what they want. They don't believe that it's possible that a store can go weeks without getting in any new stuff to replenish the shelves so after awhile they like to complain and try to get someone in trouble.

Insisting that someone in the store is taking them all for themselves is one of the most common accusations they like to make though they have no proof to back it up and in most cases, they're simply talking out of their ass.

I'm sure anyone who's spent enough time working a toy department is well aware of the trouble they like to cause. They probably change their tactics too so they look more like an angry parent so that the store takes their complaints more seriously. They're not all dumb!

Some scalpers want you to believe there doing for the moms who can't find a certain toy for there child

I confronted one once at Walmart who gave me this bullcrap story. I told him they can't find it because people like you buy it all so they would have to buy it off you.

Sometimes I have no idea who is worse the scalper or the hot wheels collectors