For those that read the classic Joe comics..

Lady Jaye

I mean ever since I picked up my first Joe comic, # 48, it was if I was looking at my figures on the floor!! He drew everyone, I mean everyone, to perfection!! There was no mistaking Sgt. Slaughter to GH, Lady Jaye to Cover Girl, everyone was drawn just like the figure packages and the cartoon!!

Problem with some of the new Joe artists is that everyone looks the same. I mean J Scott Cambell can draw well, but damn if his characters don't basically look the same. One the outfit and wahtever gear and scars they have differentiate them!! Hell his characters still look like the characters he drew for that one Nintendo Power contest from like the first year! Bonus points to whoever can find their old copy and name the game he came up with!!

Anyhow I just wanted to give my props to Rod Whigham, and kudos to you guys that get to meet him in person!! Please if you meet him, tell em Lady Jaye thinks he's the greatest!! #US1#

I disagree on Whigman, I think his art was serviceable, but bland--not all that different from someone like Herbe Trimpe. Both could tell a story, and draw the material well enough, but I don't think either artist had much of an appealing style.

For my money, the best GIJOE artist, bar none, was Micheal Golden in the Yearbook #2 October Guard story. Golden draws the gear better, and gives the work a really nice appealing look. Its a pity we only got one story from him.

Steve Leialoha also did a good job on the slient story issue, and I liked Mark Bright's work in the higher numbers of the run. Most of the better art on the Joe books was on the covers--and only because they paid a lot more and the artists never had to bother doing the guts of the book (which was NOT a sought-after assignment, despite the high page rate and royalty)

In the Devil's Due books........I don't like any of the art thus far, except for some covers.

I mean ever since I picked up my first Joe comic, # 48, it was if I was looking at my figures on the floor!! He drew everyone, I mean everyone, to perfection!! There was no mistaking Sgt. Slaughter to GH, Lady Jaye to Cover Girl, everyone was drawn just like the figure packages and the cartoon!!

Problem with some of the new Joe artists is that everyone looks the same. I mean J Scott Cambell can draw well, but damn if his characters don't basically look the same. One the outfit and wahtever gear and scars they have differentiate them!! Hell his characters still look like the characters he drew for that one Nintendo Power contest from like the first year! Bonus points to whoever can find their old copy and name the game he came up with!!

Anyhow I just wanted to give my props to Rod Whigham, and kudos to you guys that get to meet him in person!! Please if you meet him, tell em Lady Jaye thinks he's the greatest!! #US1#

I agree totally my dear. LOVE Whingham's work on G.I. Joe.

And ARROW, Golden would have been my second choice. Why? As amazing as his work is, especially the details he puts in it, his characters are too cartoony for my tastes; same reason J. Scott Campbell's not my favorite, although I love his work. Whingham had a good, solid, classic and sturdy style that suited G.I. Joe to me.

Who else would I love to see do G.I. Joe? I'd like to see Jim Lee take a crack at it, but I would absolutely LOVE to see George Perez do G.I. Joe. He's like Rod Whingham in that he does good, solid, standard-looking characters, but he walks a fine line between detailed and simple, while at the same time drawing a multitude of characters at once and doing it well, which would be perfectly suited for the large cast of Joe and Cobra characters. He'd be perfect in my book.

I gotta agree, Rod was by far the most realistic artist on the Marvel run. I loved his work, some of the best issues ever were on his watch......

I agree too! Rod Whigham was my favorite artist on GIJoe. Second place would have to go to Ron Wagner, who had a big run after Whigham left. Third would have to be MD Bright, who also had a decent run. Unfortunately, after he left, towards the end of the series, the art became too "Image"y and was really horrible. The 30s and 40s (with Whigham) were definitely a high point in the series from a story and art standpoint.

Whingham had a good, solid, classic and sturdy style that suited G.I. Joe to me.

Exactly, well put! Sure there were and are better artists with greater detail and a lot of flash, but for this lil kid, what I wanted to see were the Joes. And that's what I got with Rod. J Scott is good, but like I said before all his characters looked the same, Duke looked like the spy guy from Danger Girls and the old timer from same series. Baroness, Scarlett, Lady Jaye, all looked like the Danger Girls. Rod was able to give each Joe his or her own distintive look, and for me I appreciated it!

Take my first Joe comic ever, # 48, and you'll see the sheer amount of characters that run around in that fabulous issue and you'll see what I mean! BTW a fantastic issue with a fabulous back and forth between GH and Zartan!!

Anyhow as I was reading the first replies I was like Wah??? Glad to see the others see what a great and classic artist Rod is!!

Oh and let me not forget or overshadow his work on the vehicles!! I mean this guy drew everything in his book, and the vehicles were fabulous as well! Just what you saw on the toy or the package is what you got in the book!! I remember picking up a couple of those bundled up early/reprint Joe Issues, and man the vehicles and characters were blah!! I remember the one where CC, Destro, and the Baroness were in the swamps looking for Zartan (#28 perhaps), man they looked fugly, especially the Baroness!! And the vehicles were laughable!