A question

Lady Jaye

But why in the hell is Roddy Piper being turned into a GI Joe action figure????

I mean Sgt Slaughter I can understand he was released because of his military gimmick. I can partially understand Fridge as the PT trainer, and Rocky (had he been released) as the hand to hand trainer. But Rowdy Roddy Piper a figure, an Iron Grenadier no less?? WTH is up with Master Collector??

If you guys are getting this, may I ask why?? Are you the buy everything slapped with a GI Joe/Cobra symbol on it? If not, why are you getting this figure??

I would rather see actual 80's military icons in the line, ie Dutch from Predator, hell his entire team. How about any of Chuck Norris's characters, Matt Hunter from Invasion USA, Braddick from the MIA series, or best yet his McCoy character from the Delta Force series, the rest of his team as well!! I think a Lee Marvin figure would rock!! #US1# Other characters could be Rambo, Seagal's Chief Ryback from undr siege!!

So many characters and actors that would have been a better choice than Rowdy Roddy!! If you like him, which I do, go pick up a Jakk's figure!! @hmmm@

Instead of the Rowdy one, I'd like to see other military gimmicked wrestlers!!

Ha ha ha, and it's sad that your probably right. Cheap SOB's!!

You know what could have been cheaper, had they gotten the characters from Predator to be figures!! I mean they (Fox) don't have the names copyrighted do they??

Blain, Mac, Billy, Poncho, and Hawkins could be a special Team subfaction of GI JOE! Just have them look like the movie counterparts and have the same names. However give them a unique bio, one that doesn't involve an alien monster!! I bet they (the actors) would all get a kick from seeing a figure made of them!!

If this happens I want a cut of the profits!!! ^_^ No seriously, I want $$$$ <_<

It's funny, I told my gf about this today, and she was like "why?"... And I couldn't really give her a good answer either!

I agree that I'd much rather see lines from the '80s. Dutch and his gang is something I always wanted in RAH form, as well as the Colonial Marines from Aliens. How about the A-Team or Magnum PI? They had RAH-type figures from Galoob back in the day so it'd be appropriate. That being said, I think having Roddy is okay, kind of cool even, but I probably won't pick it up.

I didn't include the Colonial Marines for fear of the futuristic taking over like BF 2000, we all know how that turned out!! :rolleyes:

As I was reading the Predator page on Wiki, a great tribute to Kevin (the Predator) Peter Hall would be a Helicopter pilot figure. For those that might not know, which is doubtful on this board, he played the black pilot that rescued Dutch and Anna.

I think that would be a fantastic tribute to the late actor and would top off a great set. Include a chopper and it'd be perfect! Well add Dutch in there and then it would be perfect!! :D

If you guys are getting this, may I ask why?? Are you the buy everything slapped with a GI Joe/Cobra symbol on it? If not, why are you getting this figure??

Well, I chose to spend my hard earned money to support the GIJCC. That is why. You may not like my personal decision, but then again, I am not asking you to support it. @smilepunch@

wow! that's cool the predator played the pilot at the end, i didn't know that one. i heard that clown van damme played the predator too, but he's too damn short. have you guys seen the really cool predator crew customs yet? great stuff!

The reason "why" probably goes a bit further: Piper is a name celebrity amongst the target audience for GIJOE. That alone makes him "insertable" into the property more than most. If he was cheap to sign, you have the other bonus as well.....

Its probably the best of both worlds for the club because, YES, costs are a factor for them.

Honestly, Piper is no different than Rocky Balboa, or William Perry being a GIJOE.

I assumed it was because both Destro and the character Rowdy Roddy Piper are both from Scotland. It really doesn't make any less sense than including Sgt. Slaughter as a trainer on the GI Joe team does it? Sure we are far removed from Piper's prime but back in the day there wasn't a bigger villian in wrestling. He's a perfect foil to Sgt. Slaughter.

I think the celebrity-made-into-a-Joe craze lived and died in an extremely SHORT amount of time.

Sgt. Slaughter was an obvious choice and more fitting. It was also more relevant at the time. The Fridge tried to follow up on that after the Rocky figure didn't follow thru for Hasbro, and the ONLY relevance to his figure at the time, was that he was a popular, recognizable NFL/Super Bowl winner. Hasbro must have been thinking they were onto something, and maybe doing a figure like this, the same as WHEATIES slapping the image of someone famous on their cereal box.

It didn't last long, and maybe for the Joes, that's a good thing? ^_^

The Piper figure is just for shits & giggles as far as i can tell. No biggie, no major importance of any kind, just random and extremely NON-relevant to current pop culture.....just available at the moment and CHEAP!

I don't really like the figure they came up with all that well, but I appreciate the effort in WHY they threw this old concept in, at least for a con exclusive special extra kinda deal. It's cool!

becuase WWE has turned into a joke, with the worst subplots and storylines since i used to watch. vince is probably runnin out of ideas, and with two characters dead, well he needs more commercialization.

Im sure they would do anything to get a few more fans. Hasbro just wants a cheap gimick to bring some more WWE fans to buy G.I.Joes, becuase we all know and Piperheads will buy anything with "piper" on it.

As Joe fans will Buy anything that says G.I.Joe.

put the two togeather and you double the money.

personally i think its a sad, and pathetic attemp by the CC. At least i wont have to hear his stupid babbling

on a cartoon. At least Slaughter was a Military style character.

becuase WWE has turned into a joke, with the worst subplots and storylines since i used to watch. vince is probably runnin out of ideas, and with two characters dead, well he needs more commercialization.

Im sure they would do anything to get a few more fans. Hasbro just wants a cheap gimick to bring some more WWE fans to buy G.I.Joes, becuase we all know and Piperheads will buy anything with "piper" on it.

personally i think its a sad, and pathetic attemp by the CC. At least i wont have to hear his stupid babbling

That sounds more like a disgruntled wrestling fan? @lol@

I wouldn't be so critical of the CC for at least TRYING. It's just an "extra" that doesn't change the face of G.I.Joe (or Cobra) in any way shape or form, and you're RIGHT...you won't have to suffer with Pipers "stupid babbling" in any future cartoons for G.I.Joe, and I doubt he'll be inserted into the mainstream line.

I bet when he shows up at the convention though, you'd be right THERE standing in line for his autograph? @smilepunch@

only since they screwed over my fantasy wife Lita ;)

I wouldn't be so critical of the CC for at least TRYING. It's just an "extra" that doesn't change the face of G.I.Joe (or Cobra) in any way shape or form, and you're RIGHT...you won't have to suffer with Pipers "stupid babbling" in any future cartoons for G.I.Joe, and I doubt he'll be inserted into the mainstream line.

I bet when he shows up at the convention though, you'd be right THERE standing in line for his autograph? @smilepunch@

no.. the only thing i want from the Con is the Mauler and the Cobrettes. other then that.. i dont care for anything else. The 25th stuff far surpasses the old and tiresome figures imo. I just think Piper is old and not even that great.. i mean get a better enemie.. like Triple H, or the Undertaker.. they can always convert back later. I just think Piper is a Lame character.. and there are so many better ones to pick.

no.. the only thing i want from the Con is the Mauler and the Cobrettes. other then that.. i dont care for anything else. The 25th stuff far surpasses the old and tiresome figures imo.

Well, as far as the 25th stuff....it's STILL the same "old and tiresome" characters, being recognized (for the most part) on their 25th anniversary and done so in their "old and tiresome" outfits. Nothing NEW, just....different.

The "difference" in this case, is not (imo) better either. It's just DIFFERENT! ^_^

I just think Piper is old and not even that great.. i mean get a better enemie.. like Triple H, or the Undertaker.. they can always convert back later. I just think Piper is a Lame character.. and there are so many better ones to pick.

Did you miss the part about the extra DOLLARS it would have taken to nab those OTHER wrestlers you mentioned? This is the CC dishing out the expense to get Piper immortalized as a COBRA character for a con exclusive figure, not so much Hasbro (I don't think) so it's the cheapest way to give a nod BACK to the glory days of ARAH and signing up celebrities to join the ranks.

You know, if they took ALL those wrestling characters, and made them like the OLD style of O-ringed Joes, I'd buy every damn last one of'em! Is it because I'm such a big wrestling fan? HELL NO....it's because they'll look GREAT next to all my old G.I.Joes, and I'll find a spot for them in the ranks, just like I did with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat figures, and many of the CORPS stuff.

If they took ANY action figure line or action move theme (say a Predator line, ALIENS line, James bond line etc...) and made the figures like the old Joes, I would literally sh@# my drawers on the spot, as THAT would be the most awesome thing ever. More NEW characters and figures to add to the collection I have already, of different and unique characters that MATCH!

What we seem to get instead....is not more of the same style of action figure, but more of the same CHARACTER...in multiple, various styles made popular by OTHER brands. That satisfies a Cobra Commander collector, or a Duke collector or a Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow collector who has everything with their images on it, and EVERY kind of action figure, doll or bust that they make of them. A wide variety and selection of the same gad-danged characters in a thousand different looks. :rolleyes:

I guess I just have a weird/unique philosophy behind my interest in these toys and what it is I've desired out of it?

@hmmm@ ummmmm? Don't know where THAT came from, but it's off my chest now I guess? @smilepunch@

Conventions are mostly for collectors and folks "in-the-know" about the subject matter it's for. I think the old fogies will appreciate the Piper thing well enough for what it's worth. ;)

The 25th stuff far surpasses the old and tiresome figures imo.

Woh easy there youngster!! You either were too old or too young when the ARAH phenominon occoured, cause no one that lived through that era, the greatest decade mind you, would say that!!

Sure these are nice new figures. Great articulation and they look pretty good, sans anime Scarlett, but without the originals these would never have been made! Something must have been done right back then for this universe to have lasted 25 years!! #US1#

The 25th stuff far surpasses the old and tiresome figures imo.

Woh easy there youngster!! You either were too old or too young when the ARAH phenominon occoured, cause no one that lived through that era, the greatest decade mind you, would say that!!

Sure these are nice new figures. Great articulation and they look pretty good, sans anime Scarlett, but without the originals these would never have been made! Something must have been done right back then for this universe to have lasted 25 years!! #US1#

i lived through it, i watched it, I owned it!, but still... mainly the Vehicles always had my attention due to size

and having drivers. It WAS a great time, but the mold for O-rings and the exact same size's are old, and outdated. I guess its like somone saying G1 transformers are the Best. Contrary to popular belief, there are WAY better versions of said characters avilable recently. Technology works with everything, including refreshing the world of Toys. G.I.Joe cant survive with the RAH incilation anymore. You tell me it does, yet there are still crap loads of viperpacks clogging shelves even though everyone screamed "ill buy 20".

The Point is Collectors alone cant support a toyline. They need to freshen ideas and bring new life to Old ideas. Just becuase some people cant grow up with the Toyline, doesnt mean the people ready for new cant have it. I really dont want to see a Movie be made, becuase no one will ever be happy, unless it was 1986 the rest of thier life.

VH - all that and it still doesnt matter. Plus the fact its not even a RAH mold, its a DTC parts smorgasbord

its not like the broke a new mold for it. and it wont look good sitting next to RAH figures ;)

- ive learned not to buy everything just becuase it says "G.I.Joe" on it, its unfortunate so many others havent. Hasbro will continue to put out sub-par product as long as your buying all the crap they can sell.

they dont learn from online "nerds" crying about figures. They learn from Money. Buy whats good, and they get the hint... buy whats crap.. and they think its ok.

For me its simple.......as a total 80's baby I love the idea of Piper now being a part of the Cobra Ranks....IMO its kind of a homage to the 80's as a whole when you think about it.......wrestling was huge back then and the idea of Slaughter being a REAL LIFE Joe was awesome to me when I was little. So in that way I think its a throwback to ARAH in a way........plus I think it totally fits and is appropriate with all the 25th stuff we're getting now. Plus Piper was the ULTIMATE bad guy in wrestling in the 80's.....probably the only household name bad guy at least.......I think its cool.

That and he's the least offensive. I mean really,who else would you get that won't offend anyone? Someone brought up the Iron Sheik. Man,imagine the stink that would bring up. At least with Piper,there won't be too much of an uproar. Sure maybe from some Joe fans and a few pissed off Scotsmen.

For me its simple.......as a total 80's baby I love the idea of Piper now being a part of the Cobra Ranks....IMO its kind of a homage to the 80's as a whole when you think about it.......wrestling was huge back then and the idea of Slaughter being a REAL LIFE Joe was awesome to me when I was little. So in that way I think its a throwback to ARAH in a way........plus I think it totally fits and is appropriate with all the 25th stuff we're getting now. Plus Piper was the ULTIMATE bad guy in wrestling in the 80's.....probably the only household name bad guy at least.......I think its cool.

..amd that is why the Club would choose to bring Piper into the mythos, in a nutshell. Well said.

only since they screwed over my fantasy wife Lita ;)

no.. the only thing i want from the Con is the Mauler and the Cobrettes. other then that.. i dont care for anything else. The 25th stuff far surpasses the old and tiresome figures imo. I just think Piper is old and not even that great.. i mean get a better enemie.. like Triple H, or the Undertaker.. they can always convert back later. I just think Piper is a Lame character.. and there are so many better ones to pick.

There is also the fact that Destro is Scottish, as is Piper.

Surpasses? I'm waiting for it to be is good in way too many areas for the 25th to consider "surpassing" anything from RAH.

Whether the RAH stuff was "old and tired", as Lady Jaye said they had to be doing SOMETHING right for 25 years.

Then we get 25th and...what the hell happened? I mean when the basic articulation is WORSE than RAH?

The new look takes some getting used to, admittedly, and they LOOK very nice. But looks aren't everything.

Whether the RAH stuff was "old and tired", as Lady Jaye said they had to be doing SOMETHING right for 25 years.

Then we get 25th and...what the hell happened? I mean when the basic articulation is WORSE than RAH?

The new look takes some getting used to, admittedly, and they LOOK very nice. But looks aren't everything.

Yes, the articulation leaves something to be desired! I noticed it yesterday when I took out some of my early 2000 Joes and compared them to the 25TH Anni Joes. That missing elbow piece is surely needed! Without it you can't bend the elbow as much as you could before! Hell I can't get a 45 degree angle anymore on any of my figures!! Now that sucks!

And what someone said before about standard body size, I can agree with, to a certain point! It's cool seeing Destro and some of the others larger, however I don't like seeing Scarlett and the other ladies so damn thin that they feel as they're about to break if you move any of their joints!! Way to frail, I'd sacrifice a bit of asthetics for a sturdier figure!!!

There is also the fact that Destro is Scottish, as is Piper.

Surpasses? I'm waiting for it to be is good in way too many areas for the 25th to consider "surpassing" anything from RAH.

Well, they did something right for 10 years and then 2 more years of some good sculpts and someone going crazy with the neon spray paints. And then took a few years off - and then did repaints for 4 years. And then took some time off. And then came back and made some figures with GI Joe on the package and everyone went 'Thats... Duke?' and then they changed it and started doing it right again. And then they stopped... and then they did online. And then they went to 8" and then.. er.. yeah.

Out of the 25 years I'll give them 16 or 17 'good years'. @smilepunch@ I'm also a sucker for anything that is 3-3/4" and has a Joe logo on it. Reason RAH was so good was it was allowed to go for 12 years originally without a break and pump out tons of figures, vehicles, sets, multiple costumes for different characters, etc.. I thought VvV was getting really good at the end and then they quit. And now they started over again with another new sculpt. I personally really like the 25th although I do have issues (but I had just as many gripes out of ARAH, GvC, VvV, DTC) - I just hope this line is allowed to go on long enough to start being really strong. But they are playing on major strengths - classic costumes and classic packaging design. Of course the tyranny of horrible case ratio and a lack of major distribution needs to be conquered.

But, if someone things they surpass the original thats cool too. It doesn't make them any less a fan of ARAH or 'too young' to know any better. My v1 25th Snake-Eyes is far superior to my v1 ARAH v1 Snake-Eyes (he just need to be solid black to be nigh-perfect) - while my Flint is an elbow and some gloves away.