My initial opinions on some of the Convention figures

code red shockwave

http://www.mastercollector.com/neat/GIJOE/.../RAHpreview.cfm

After taking a look at the Convention figures, here are my initial opinions and feelings about them:

Sparks: An interesting use of parts, particularly since Dial-Tone's right leg has a communicator. He reminds me of the Tan Grunt. It's good to see Hasbro busted out yet another cool new character with this figure.

9.5/10

Flash: After seeing this figure, I was given an idea on how to make a custom Flash. As good as this figure looks, there is one minor and one major gripe I have. The minor one is this figure could just as easily be Grand Slam, depending on whether you imagine Grand Slam with silver or not. The major one is that the lower half just wasn't too good of a choice. It doesn't match the original's by much and he should be wearing something that looks more like armor, not a generic pair of pants.

8/10

Grunt: At first, this reminded me of the Frostbite figure that used the Snow Job mold(came with the Snow Cat) and thought to myself, "Oh no, this can't be good". However, in this case, it looks better than I imagined it could. The head was definitely a better choice to use than the comic pack version in my opinion, and looks like one of the best versions i've seen. The only minor gripe here is the collar, but it's not too big of a deal. As badly as I want to get it, it costs too much and I already have a custom version of my own.

9/10

Lt. Claymore: Ever since the Shock Vipers first appeared as a figure, they have really been one of my favorite COBRA troops. Well, this one is really good, I admit, though i'm wondering why his removable helmet is the same one used for the DTC Major Bludd and Convention Skull Squad figures. If he used one with a gasmask, like say the Spytroops Depth Charge's helmet, I might have liked him better. Call me crazy, but his face reminds me of Link Talbot(shudder...j/k). Looks like this figure will be another commander of COBRA's specialized troops.

9/10

Zap: The look on this figure reminds me of the valor vs. venom Sgt. Bazooka. It's simple, I suppose, but it doesn't really scream Zap to me. I think if he was repainted to look like that VvV Bazooka figure, perhaps he'd look better. I'm wondering how he's gonna hold that giant sized Bazooka with those thin arms. Bottom line is, this one makes me wanna say, "Meh", and not really care much about him.

7/10

Clutch: He looks good, but I think have the odd feeling this figure may have standing issues(I could be wrong though). I can understand the m-4, but why does he have a sniper rifle? He should have had a pistol instead. If he does pose as well without problems, he'll get a higher review from me.

8.5/10

Doc: Ok I'm still confused as to why she's called Doc, after the first medic GIJOE ever had. Rant aside, her uniform looks good and she has a beautiful head sculpt. Off topic from the review, I have a funny feeling if you repainted her face with a flesh tone and repainted her hair red, you'd get a better looking Scarlett. Anyway, I find absolutely no faults about her other than the weird name.

9.5/10

Rock N' Roll: He has the same problem as the Comic Pack version---he has long sleeves instead of short ones. Also, this figure reminds me more of Hollow Point than Rock N' Roll himself because of the camouflage and brown vest. This is another figure that looks dry to me.

7/10

Night Stalkers(commander and troopers): Wow...i'm blown away by these figures. They look like bodyguards who work for the Baroness. They can be used for so many purposes(such as assassinations, infiltration, death squads, etc.), it's amazing. After waiting so long to get a female COBRA trooper, I definitely think these figures made that wait worth it!

10/10

It seems every year Hasbro manages to step up to the plate and make the figures better and better! Unfortunately I won't be able to go to the con and I don't wish to purchase an entire set, so maybe when the figures become a little more affordable to get, I'll get 'em.

http://www.mastercollector.com/neat/GIJOE/.../RAHpreview.cfm

After taking a look at the Convention figures, here are my initial opinions and feelings about them:

Doc: Ok I'm still confused as to why she's called Doc, after the first medic GIJOE ever had. Rant aside, her uniform looks good and she has a beautiful head sculpt. Off topic from the review, I have a funny feeling if you repainted her face with a flesh tone and repainted her hair red, you'd get a better looking Scarlett. Anyway, I find absolutely no faults about her other than the weird name.

9.5/10

The female Doc has a very cool back story in the Devil's Due comic books. I think the story is in the GI Joe Declassified trade. You should check it out.

It seems every year Hasbro manages to step up to the plate and make the figures better and better! Unfortunately I won't be able to go to the con and I don't wish to purchase an entire set, so maybe when the figures become a little more affordable to get, I'll get 'em.

Semantics, I know.....Hasbro doesn't have much to do with the set. It is mostly the work of the GIJCC.

The female Doc has a very cool back story in the Devil's Due comic books. I think the story is in the GI Joe Declassified trade. You should check it out.

She is related to the original Doc, right? I remember there was a female Doc in the Reloaded disaster. I did not know DD created a new Doc in the RAH-AE continuity. I haven't read the comic in over a year so..... @lol@

Rock N' Roll: He has the same problem as the Comic Pack version---he has long sleeves instead of short ones. Also, this figure reminds me more of Hollow Point than Rock N' Roll himself because of the camouflage and brown vest. This is another figure that looks dry to me.

7/10

I think the long sleeves are well suited for this set, as the theme is specifically Joes in cold weather training. @smilepunch@

Giving it more thought though, the Nightstalkers don't particularly lend themselves to cold weather operations with their bdsm outfits.

Or DO THEY?! @loll@

I've always admired con sets in the past (I have yet to get any unfortunately...), but this one is the first set I'm truly tempted to pursue. It looks amazing to me. Excellent use of colors and parts IMO. And I love the Herbe Trimpe artwork on the file cards. Nice little touch there. I'm just wondering though; what's the plastic quality like on these? Are they made with the same kind of plastic as vintage RAH Joes, or is it more like the comic three-packs? If it's the latter, then no thanks.

She is related to the original Doc, right? I remember there was a female Doc in the Reloaded disaster. I did not know DD created a new Doc in the RAH-AE continuity. I haven't read the comic in over a year so..... @lol@

Well, her name is Carla Greer and she followed the footsteps of her legendary uncle - and so happen Doc's name is Carl Greer. Seems the name was taken on as family homage.

Sorry I meant MasterCollector...oops.

Heh heh! Master Collector is the name of their website and mailing publication. Fun Publications is the actual company's name, but the real name of the Joe-related group is the GI Joe Collector's Club. They are trying hard to shed the MC label.

Thanks for that code red.

Did I hear that we have to pay around $350US for this set?

Even for US folk, that would be crazy...but with the Aussie dollar, I'm looking at about $500 for the group!!

I would hate to miss this set though. Such cool figures!

GIJCC members are paying $268. According to the con site, the Attendee Registration Form has the non-member cost for the set at $318 + $45 for shipping. Heck, for that much money, that is a pretty decent down payment for a trip to come over and enjoy the fun in person. ;)

I've always admired con sets in the past (I have yet to get any unfortunately...), but this one is the first set I'm truly tempted to pursue. It looks amazing to me. Excellent use of colors and parts IMO. And I love the Herbe Trimpe artwork on the file cards. Nice little touch there. I'm just wondering though; what's the plastic quality like on these? Are they made with the same kind of plastic as vintage RAH Joes, or is it more like the comic three-packs? If it's the latter, then no thanks.

I have always found the plastic of good quality. Last year's Cobra Mortal was a bit on the fragile side, but they were using a compound not typical with the figures. I don't play with the sets. They just go on display.

Well, her name is Carla Greer and she followed the footsteps of her legendary uncle - and so happen Doc's name is Carl Greer. Seems the name was taken on as family homage.

Just ask and ye shall be answered. Thanks Jeffro!

Heck, for that much money, that is a pretty decent down payment for a trip to come over and enjoy the fun in person. ;)

@loll@

So where does that price come from? There were not too many new molds in the set were there? Surely not enough to charge $25 a figure!

Or are the con exclusives always extremely expensive?

Yep, they always sit right around this price point. Something to do with Hasbro doing exclusives for Master Collector for the con. Probably alot of it is a middle man charge, but the club does good by us fans for having this con for friends/fans to get together and dork out for a weekend.

Yep, they always sit right around this price point. Something to do with Hasbro doing exclusives for Master Collector for the con. Probably alot of it is a middle man charge, but the club does good by us fans for having this con for friends/fans to get together and dork out for a weekend.

This year's set for instance is just under $18 per fig. If I had to guess, if you factor in the Collector's box, printing of the file cards, and shipping, the actual cost of the figures may be in the $14-$15 neighborhood. The individual Slaughter fig from a year ago was $25 and it was carded. The reason for such a high per figure charge is because the quantities the club runs is often minimum orders from the factories. I am guessing when Hasbro puts in an order, they put in a request for a couple thousand. When the club puts in an order, it is, at best, half as much.

Once again, Hasbro has very little input into the sets. It is all of the GIJCC's doing. They may seek advisement or help from Hasbro to find molds and tools, but it is 99% of the club's staff efforts. There is a misconception that the GIJCC and Hasbro are in some sort of deep ca-hoots, but if you ask the club and you sit through their roundtables, they will tell you that Hasbro does not help very much, if at all. If it is 100% the truth, I don't know. I am just going off a gut feeling.

I snagged off of eBay on a dreaded "Pre-Order" the 3 Night Stalker chickees in each hair color and the Night Stalker Leader for just under $17 a pop. Assuming these figures arrive post convention I will be a happy go lucky fellow. I didn't want to pay for the full set as I thought it didn't warrant paying $18 a pop or more for a ton of figures I could care less about (not into those Joe Sculpts or Lt. Claymore). The problem with these sets is they bait us Army Builders with all the fodder and I don't want to be bothered with eBaying the leftovers. I will REALLY miss GI Joe HQ this year as they were the place to get reasonably priced Convention figures (it is where I got all of my Iron Grenadiers from).

Ok thanks to that link I finally saw the set! Wow I gotta say out of all the ones they have done in the past, this one rocks!!! I mean to include two characters that came out of the cartoon just makes this set the one to own!! I mean if Hasbro wants to treat us, we'll get an official Sparks and Lt Clyamore one day in the 25th line, which I hope continues to include figures and characters not seen in the original line!!

Oh and the Doc character is nice, I'd rather have her working alongside her uncle!!

But kudos to you guys that pick this one up and add to your RAH line, it's a nice set!!