Never seen toon or comics

Splinter

well as far as i am concerned being a huge serpentor fan arise serpentor arise is a most and all of the rest of season 2 and 1 are good but after season 2 when dic takes over its just funney there are some good charectors but for the most part the dic series sux in my opinion as far as comics i really like the devils due real american hero series even thou they kill off most of the joes and cobras i just ignore that they are dead

I second the first two mini-series, they were the best. As for the comics, I recommend the Marvel comic series. #21 & #34 are really cool issues, but most all are a good read.

Well, we got the cartoon covered, but the comic is much harder to narro down a "best of" list.

The Marvel comic series, 1-155, is an epic to say the least, and is alone the "Best of" GIJoe comics. Of that, Issues #11-19 (collected in Marvel's Trade Paperback #2) is the first great run of issues, and resolves nicely at the end. There's also a nice arc between #45 and 51 (although it also features Serpentor), and the Cobra Civil War (#72-78) is a must-read. Also the Snake-Eyes Trilogy (94-96). Key backstory issues include: #26, 27, 43, 84, 86, and 126.

From the Devil's Due era, I'd only recommend Snake-Eyes Declassified, GIJoe Declassified, Master and Apprentice I (the sequel was worthless and made no sense), and the current series from #21 on.

Otherwise, there wasn't really much that mattered, or stuck, from the last few years.

Whoever knocked the Serpentor Marvel run is wrong! While Hama may not have liked the Serpentor character, he wrote him with panache!! He was very well written and became an instant hit with this lil kid!! I think the run between issues 33 and 80 were very well done!! I can say they were the best drawn, and had some of the best storylines!

If your looking for a particular issue, I suggest issue 34. It's a great comic that has Ace and his Skystriker against Wild Weasel and his Rattler!! For fun they threw in the gals as co-pilots!! Great action, superbly written, and a great show of respect between combatants!! Highly recomended!!

The comics were a lot more serious, portraying Cobra Commander as a tactical genuis, and they even showed his face a few times. Zartan, Destro and Baroness were also better rounded characters. Mind you, there were hiccups, such as GI Joe/Transformers where the Joes suddenly become stupid and blow up Bumblebee.

The cartoon had its good episodes(Traitor, No Place Like Springfield) but also had its clown moments such as 20 questions. Cobra Commander often felt like an odd mix of Blofeld and Col. Klink- a terrorist genius who often suffered from arrogance and outright incompetence. Drawing his face on the moon was stupid. Something Awful has reviews up of some of the cruddier episodes. Zartan was also just there... he did evil stuff, got hit by sunlight and ran away. At least Tomax and Xamot served a purpose. Then you hit continuity splits with the movie and DiC stuff following its own path.