Bay: ''There will never be an extended edition'' DVD

RC_rika

Thanks to TFans staffer Lord Petehammer for the heads up about a post on Michael Bay's blog. Michael is once again touting the IMAX print and had a little comment to make about the fate of the "Transformers" DVDs and any possibility of an extended edition. Read the post and topic going on now at TFans.com.

I'm sorry but this man is starting to get on my nerves. He acts like he knows EVERYthing that's going on... he's pulling stuff out of his.... well you know. But to check it out, go here..

I seriously doubt its going to be his call on this... This looks to be another way for them to make money in the long run... I bet one year from now Paramount will release the super special uncut collectors edition and charge 50 plus dollars for an extra 2 minutes and maybe a tin case... Because they know we will all buy it...

I'm sorry but this man is starting to get on my nerves. He acts like he knows EVERYthing that's going on... he's pulling stuff out of his.... well you know. But to check it out, go here

Uh, he's the director of the film--he's laid eyes/hands on virtually every frame of the film, and would know if there's enough material to warrant a special extended edition.

Directors often have clauses in their contracts which state that they are hired for their vision on the film, and any edits ( or extensions) have their inputs.

Think back for a bit........how many Michael Bay films have extended editions? The guy just doesn't waste time and money filming stuff to dump onto the editing room floor.

Bay is probably stating that the rumour of extra footage is just that........rumour.

Adding in extra generated material for a DVD release just isn't cost-wise in these films, and is soley up to the whims of the producing studios. Often times, the added material just doesn't add anything to the story, and often stops the film dead in its tracts.

When extended stuff is added, its usually material that's already been filmed, had most of the effects elements added to it, and ADR etc. Sometimes the extra polish--like finishing effects shots, adding musical cues and such is too costly.

That is too bad! I was hoping there was going be an extended version like the Lord of Rings where over 30 minutes were added the films. Not that Transformers was a hard plot to follow but the Lord of the Rings movies are best understood when viewing the extended versions. Well, I guess if the new 2 minutes ends up on the DVD, technically that will be an extended version :)

Sounds like he's pulling a Lucas....natch fans falls for it & have to buy multiple copies - capitalism at it's finest ;)

Wish I had a piece of that pie , people are such suckers when it comes to dvd's....easy money I'd say lol

That is too bad! I was hoping there was going be an extended version like the Lord of Rings where over 30 minutes were added the films. Not that Transformers was a hard plot to follow but the Lord of the Rings movies are best understood when viewing the extended versions. Well, I guess if the new 2 minutes ends up on the DVD, technically that will be an extended version :)

Lord of the Rings is the perfect example of extended edition done the right way... the other that I can think of is Kingdom of Heaven... I guess it would have been too much to ask for an extended edition that explained what happen to some of the characters in the movie... Someone should pull Bay's head out of his a@@... The reason why most of his past movies do not have extended edition is because they were crap... There is no point in releasing extended edition if it didnt sell to begin with...

With LOTR, the shooting schedule was set up to accomodate the extra footage, as that was always the plan to release extended editions of the films.

With TF, it sounds like Bay shot the script as written, opting to add very little material and then edited it as is-and anything NOT in that edit probably simply wasn't filmed, aside from very minimal material.

The reason why most of his past movies do not have extended edition is because they were crap... There is no point in releasing extended edition if it didnt sell to begin with...

Let's see.......

Bad Boys

The Rock

Armageddon

Transformers

Of the nine or so films he's directed, those above are pretty decent flics and darn good box office numbers behind them. He's produced about as many that have made money as well. In Hollywood terms, thats not crap--its savvy!

Sounds like he's pulling a Lucas....natch fans falls for it & have to buy multiple copies - capitalism at it's finest

Yeah, I don't play that "give-them-the-bare-bones-version-first-then-make-the-COOL-version-avalibe-a-few-months-later" game. Never have, never will.

With LOTR, the shooting schedule was set up to accomodate the extra footage, as that was always the plan to release extended editions of the films.

With TF, it sounds like Bay shot the script as written, opting to add very little material and then edited it as is-and anything NOT in that edit probably simply wasn't filmed, aside from very minimal material.

The reason why most of his past movies do not have extended edition is because they were crap... There is no point in releasing extended edition if it didnt sell to begin with...

Let's see.......

Bad Boys

The Rock

Armageddon

Transformers

Of the nine or so films he's directed, those above are pretty decent flics and darn good box office numbers behind them. He's produced about as many that have made money as well. In Hollywood terms, thats not crap--its savvy!

Transformers is good... the rest not really... You actually think those movies would have performed that good if not for the high profile actors... Lets not forget his most recent movie before Transformers... The Island... see how that one turned out without the help of popular actors... Are you Michael Bay? :P

Transformers is good... the rest not really... You actually think those movies would have performed that good if not for the high profile actors... Lets not forget his most recent movie before Transformers... The Island... see how that one turned out without the help of popular actors... Are you Michael Bay?

No fella, I'm not Michael Bay.

You posit that those movies wouldn't have turned out good---well........they were made with good actors, had decent stories and were decently crafted films--they DID turn out well.

Let's not mince words here--Bay has made what I think are some stinkers--he's also made some cool stuff. I'm ready and willing to give him his props because of the good stuff.

He's got some camera stuff he overuses, and lays on some symbolisms a bit thick, but I chalk that up to his music video starting grounds. The guy has a distinctive style--I give him that--he certainly understands the artistry and visual storytelling of pop cinema.

Just what makes him a bad director in your book? He sneezed on you or something? Kicked your puppy?

Or are you just on a negativity bandwagon becuase Bay set out to do something that wasn't your vision?

Bay's biggest failing is that he's grossly arrogant. He seems to believe that he's somehow the most important man in Hollywood just because hes's had a few successful movies. And making nearly $700 mil worldwide has inflated his ego. Problem is, he'll eventually get knocked down a few pegs- either he'll make a film that bombs or the execs will get sick of his childish behavior.

He reminds me a bit of that psycho director Starkweather from Manhunt, just before the big career downfall that led Starkweather to snuff films.

I regarded Pearl Harbor as an insult to actual WW2/PH veterans made in the inetrest of a sappy love story- which Bay couldn't even do without lots of explosions. The Island... we'd seen that movie before, at least twice- and he got sued over it too. He believes his visual style outweighs solid storytelling or decent characterization. Which showed in TF- did Brawl, Bonecrusher or Barricade have anything other than basic roles? I agree with VGCats- Jazz was less developed than bit part humans.

Let's see.......

Bad Boys

The Rock

Armageddon

Transformers

Armageddon would have been better if they'd removed the stupid Liv Tyler sub-plot and focused a bit more on the world-ending meteor(hmm, ya think it had something to do with Bruce Willis not putting up with Bay's pushy, bossy crap on set?). And The Rock, I largely see Bruckheimer's name attached to that one with Bay just... there. Even at that, 4 of 9 isn't a stellar success rate. If he focused more on the film's story than on making sure people know his name, I'd respect him more. As is, I regard him no better than Rob Zombie or Kevin Smith. He's no Peter Jackson or Terry Gilliam.

Bay's biggest failing is that he's grossly arrogant. He seems to believe that he's somehow the most important man in Hollywood just because hes's had a few successful movies. And making nearly $700 mil worldwide has inflated his ego. Problem is, he'll eventually get knocked down a few pegs- either he'll make a film that bombs or the execs will get sick of his childish behavior.

Well, one of Bay's peer's James Cameron is also regarded as having a huge ego, and been cited as arrogant, and made a movie that brought in about $500 Million in box office.....and hasn't made a feature film since 1999.

And Hollywood is MORE than happy to thrown money his way to make movies some 8 years LATER.

Success in Hollywood breeds more success--if the guy made a film that brought in $700 mil, as opposed to $70 mil--he's cock-of-the-walk. Can't argue with success.

He reminds me a bit of that psycho director Starkweather from Manhunt, just before the big career downfall that led Starkweather to snuff films.

I regarded Pearl Harbor as an insult to actual WW2/PH veterans made in the inetrest of a sappy love story- which Bay couldn't even do without lots of explosions.

And I agree completely with you on that film. Pearl Harbour was an awful movie. Bay has made his share of stinkers.

What's my contention here is that because Bay rubs fans the wrong way with his comments--doesn't want to include (or even film ) extra footage for a later DVD release, that it makes him a "bad guy"??

Its the usual infantile demonizing by ignorant fans.

Oh, I know they hate those labels applied to them........but they are slapping them out themselves.

Fandom has their collective heads up their asses on most things---and "insisting" that a director "play nice" with them........pfft, why not just focus on the movie itself. The director's job is to make said film, not be the fans best buddy.

I've been on both sides of the equation here, and honestly fandom can be full of dickheads. There's a lot of self-entitlement mindset in fandom......and really no call for it.

The old saw about "Bay raped my childhood" is a eye-rolling stupid joke in professional circles--simply because the people uttering it are no longer IN their childhood. A guy like Bay is making a Transformers movie for audiences TODAY, not for yesterday.......and fans cannot get their brains around that.

If the idea was a to make a film for yesterday.........then re-releasing the animated feature in theatres would do the trick.

Paramount hired Bay to make a NEW film based on Transformers.........and he did just that.

So he didn't say some thinks the fanboys liked..........he still made a film that brought in $700 mil in the box office, and lord knows what DVD sales are gonna be like.

No matter what a fan thinks of his "childish behaviours", those execs ain't gonna get sick of a guy pulling in those kinds of number anytime soon.

BTW, George Lucas has pretty much the same "numbers" ( in terms of success and stinkers) as Bay does--and Lucas is considered a success. I guess Hollywood looks at those numbers a bit differently than the person on the street.

First of all... I like Transformers The Movie... I just dont like the arrogant ass that is Michael Bay... Did you forget his drunken rant when he found out about Tranformers not being blu-ray... and threaten to quit... I seriously doubt Transformers will die without him... There is a problem when he thinks he is above a product thats been around for 20 plus years that he didnt originaly create... so no... He didnt kick my dog... and I am not some blind fanboy... Thats my reason for not liking Michael Bay... whats yours for being a Michael Bay brown noser...

Heh, I don't brown nose, and never have.

My "defense" of Bay is pretty simple: it comes down to the distinctions between an artist's personality, and their artistry. I cannot mitigate an artist's outburts, peculiarities or quirks, be I can defend the artistry they use.

Fanboys saying/insinuating that a guy like Bay is less of an artist or filmmaker because he doesn't want to do certain things, or he makes decisions that preserve his work ( if that's the case) just betrays the fact that fanboys don't know jack-squat about the movie-making process.

They don't consider it either went they write their little rants disparaging they guy.......or just about anyone in the creative industries.

Its seen in every business from comics, to toys, to games to movies----some imbecile doesn't "like" something, so it becomes open season on the creator in very personal ways--that seldom have anything to do with their work.

It boils down to this: Fans want the "relationship" with a property to be a dialogue. They want their say heard, and to have their input into the thing-- because to them, its personal. They have an emotional investment in it.

Too bad that, most of these works created are not a "dialogue", they are, in fact, a monologue.

They never WERE a dialogue--thus fans have NEVER had a say into these kinds of things.

These works are a creation offered to the fans ( or consumers) for consumption without ANY of their input. They are concieved without consultation, and at no point in their creation is ANY& input from the consumers often deemed necessary.

Yet fans hold to this delusion that "their" input amounts to the guardianship of the property.

And you get fans taking personal umbrage when that property isn't "treated right".

That..........is plainly absurd.

I think yourself......and fandom as a whole, would honestly enjoy the process somewhat more if they let go and sat back to enjoy the stuff as offered--instead of maintaining this faux emotional death-grip on something they are ONLY the end-user of.

Its a cold truth to swallow in the light of easy communication in these modern days, and nothing is going to change it.

A guy like Bay will ALWAYS be around to piss fans off, will ALWAYS be the one to create something that a large number of fans will gleefully ( or grudgingly) consume, and will do so with the blessing of his peers and industry.

In other words, its time to get over it.

I'll stand up and defend a fellow industry professional any day of the week, when someone says his work is crap because HE is a jerk. Separate the person from the profession, if you will.

I do this because, one day, it might be my own work or that of a friend that needs to be defended from such ignorance.

I dont think the issue is with Bay and his take on Transformers... I am not going to disagree with you about the so called hardcore fanboys... But many of us are open minded to this new take on Transformers... Our issue is with the fact that he believes he is above a product or idea that was not created by him... Like I said before, I seriously doubt that it will be the end of Transformers if he did not direct the next one... But he seems to think so... All I am saying is that if you choose one day to make a film based upon a product or idea that is not originaly yours... to respect it... Thats it... You make valid points about fanboys... I agree... but thats not the issue here...

I think a lot of what I'm saying is just piggy-backing on Ken's comments, but here it is anyway:

I think we need to separate Bay the moviemaker from Bay the human being. From what I've read, Bay doesn't seem to be a nice guy; he seems to be arrogant and rude. That doesn't make me think too highly of him as a person. However, it isn't his job to get me, or any of us for that matter, to like him as a person; it's his job to get our arses in the theater seats, which he has done a tremendous job at w/ the tf film.

On another level, I gotta say, "that's life". No matter where you go, where you work, who you deal w/, what fandom you belong to, you're gonna deal w/ jerks. You can either ignore them as people, while respecting their work, which may be noteworthy and successful, or you can have these types of arguments about Bay being an a-hole. I won't say he isn't, but that's not the point; he made us a tf film that most people seem to have enjoyed; it was very successful, you can't find toys on the shelves, and it has dramatically increased the chances of we fans seeing tf's on the shelves for years to come. So..dislike the guy if you want, but..he's done a heckuva job for our fandom. While I myself think he could be a better person, I do salute him as someone who has helped transformers tremendously.

And to be a bit more thread-specific, I don't think there's anything worth seeing in these bonus features; I've read the synopsis of them, and there are no additional robot scenes, just lame human scenes that bay was justified in throwing out. Would it've been horrible to have them as bonus features on the dvd? Of course not, but there's nothing here that I'm gonna miss, so I don't worry about it.

And to be a bit more thread-specific, I don't think there's anything worth seeing in these bonus features; I've read the synopsis of them, and there are no additional robot scenes, just lame human scenes that bay was justified in throwing out. Would it've been horrible to have them as bonus features on the dvd? Of course not, but there's nothing here that I'm gonna miss, so I don't worry about it.

And that is pretty much my own point too--Bay obviously knows the leftover shot list is pretty much just throwaway stuff with the actors, stuff he cut because it really didn't sell the plot at all.

The meat and potatoes in a movie like TF is the plot itself, or the robots.

Since effects cost many more dollars than live actors--the effects either get used or get dumped well they are shot.

Bay KNOWS the film he sent to print is the "final" cut--because anything worth using is probably in that cut. His artistic judgement says this is the film he thinks is worth seeing, the work he's put his stamp on.

Really, what else can be added?

He knows this........some of his critics clearly do not.

Armageddon would have been better if they'd removed the stupid Liv Tyler sub-plot and focused a bit more on the world-ending meteor(hmm, ya think it had something to do with Bruce Willis not putting up with Bay's pushy, bossy crap on set?). And The Rock, I largely see Bruckheimer's name attached to that one with Bay just... there. Even at that, 4 of 9 isn't a stellar success rate. If he focused more on the film's story than on making sure people know his name, I'd respect him more. As is, I regard him no better than Rob Zombie or Kevin Smith. He's no Peter Jackson or Terry Gilliam.

Um, being as I know a little something about movies and cinema and the movie making process, I can assure You that Micheal Bay, like or hate his movies, is considered quite the successful filmmaker.

Technically he's only directed 7 big budget movies, those being -

1.) Bad Boys (1995) - $23 Million to make/$141 Million World Wide

2.) The Rock (1996) - $75 Million to make/$133 Million World Wide

3.) Armageddon (1998) - $140 Million to make/$554 Million World Wide

4.) Pearl Harbor (2001) - $151 Million to make/$450 Million World Wide

5.) Bad Boys 2 (2003) - $130 Million to make/$272 Million World Wide

6.) The Island (2005) - $120 Million to make/$161 Million World Wide

7.) Transformers (2007) - $150 Million to make/$693 Million World Wide

Now, I offer to let You do the math.

How in the world some of You guys are saying he doesn't have a stellar success rate, is completely and utterly beyond me (and it would seem, those things called facts), because out of every movie the man has thus far made, he's only made ONE MOVIE that didn't make near or (more commonly more then) double the production costs of the film. I don't know what world You people are living in, and Your more then welcome to Your personal opinions as to whether his films are "good" or "bad" (personally, I thought Transformers was ridiculously stupid myself, as the plot holes were so big Unicron could fly through them), but to say the man isn't a successful filmmaker when he has those confirmed numbers saying quite loudly that he is, is well, just plain stupid and uneducated.

Hell, the island is a crappy movie, I'll give You guys that, but it wasn't a horrible train wreck as everyone makes it out to me. It was just below making double what it cost to produce. It wasn't a success domestically in the U.S. for sure, but in Hollywood, all they care about is if it makes a profit. And it assuredly managed to pull that off, being the stinker it was.