Hollywierd v1 GiJoe

Valdin

I have been a fan of gijoe all my life. I am also a fan of Transformers g1, most sci-fi, and formerly of x-men. The x-men movies were ok to good, but too many changes caused me to step away, especially the fact that the changes went over to the comics/other media. I personally don't like the costume changes and the fact that they decided to go matrix-y with out compromising bringing the comic costumes to life minus the spandex aspect. The excuse of realism for a property based from a comic/cartoon is idiotic. Iron-man and Superman seem to be doing pretty well, and Spiderman isn't bad either (now midget venom and green goblin are another story).

I am not saying I don't like change. I don't mind change especially if it is done tastefully without taking from the original preestablished characters/product. I for one like the improved character costume designs of the joe verse, especially Storm Shadow, Zartan, Zandar, and Serpentor. They stories and character development are good although I don't like some off the killing off of characters, like Dr Mindbender and others. The changes they did in design were for the most subtle like for Zartan. He looks close to v1 which is most memorable. Look at the changes to the Joes/Cobra when they brought about the gijoe vs cobra figure 2 packs. Destro looked horrible not even remotely familiar besides the silver mask but it was all goofy looking now.

Personally I didn't like the Transformer movie due to character redesigning and the altering of the motive of robots in disguise for a reason to blend in while protecting the world, instead of the whole they came to earth for something, now they WANT to fight and dont care when or how and turn into vehicles to look bad-a$$ed and to cause havok.

I cringe to think this movie did good and that the figures are selling good.

My point is, the same producer from transformers is pushing for Gi joe to have the same changes they deem fit since they worked in transformers to go on gi joe, and they will think they have free range to make changes as needed. For instance now that Cobra is supposedly headed by a scottish arms dealer instead of cobra commander.

<worst case scenario> My fear is that lightening will hit twice, and they will ruin another great property, the toys would sell well, but it would be based on crappy design changes they made, then the changes would move over as in with the comics and a new cartoon. (Like they are doing with transformers).We wouldn't see anymore of the great 25th anniv figures we want to see, and that line would be converted over to nothing but movie stuff (ie the fact that transformers classics are on hold while they sell nothing but movie junk). Gi joe would be forever changed into something we would cringe at the thought of.

What do you all think? Am I alone in thinking that the idea of a botched movie whether if it does good or bad could kill the line/soul of the line? Gi Joe I know will always be, but how is the question. Remember when the he-man movie came out? The line didn't go much further after that if I recall correctly.

Here we go again............

Let the battle begin!!!!!

@soap@

Also correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Autobots come to Earth to find the Allspark to stop fighting.....the only reason they were fighting was to protect the humans and prevent as much collateral damage as possible......they were fighting for the Allspark (Pure Energy/Energon Cubes pretty much the same thing IMO)....not just cause they liked to fight.

Ok, i'd rather have energon cubes, instead of some all powerful allspark rubiks cube, but thats just me. Yes they are pretty much the same thing, but isn't the allspark some one of a kind ancient relic from cybertron instead of a refillable fuel source? Oh thats right its the life giver, (since transformers don't mate) and its a cheap way to make a cop out on something they didn't want to get into. "Daddy where do transformers come from?........"

My second point, if they wanted to defend humanity, why go on the roadways and fight right into a town and rip it up? Thats not transformers, its rampage. That defeats the purpose of robots in disguise.

I do admit transformers is a tough concept/cookie to translate to movie form especially with the size transfers and to alter that really would have been stretching it. I do understand that they are aliens, but who says aliens should look as bizarre as they were presented in the movie. The fact that when they did transform and everylittle microbit in them moved that broke it for me. It shows they use realism as an excuse to their advantage, but when they want to go way off its saupposed to be fine. The fact that micheal bay was so arrogant as to say that he was changing it because he wanted to and added flames because he wanted to and that optimus prime had lips to talk instead of his face plateshould be fine. They are robots and dont need lips. I thought optimus looked like a poorly animated toaster that way. I didn't see any lips on the robots in star wars and they came off as beilevable, hell they even had puppets.

But the point I was getting at is the changes made for hardcore fans could be bad and depending on the fan could kill the line, or make it famous in a bad way. I'm glad you like the movie and want to defend it. I hope Gi joe is a huge success and done right, looks right, and has a great story and many sequals/ spinoffs down the line. But I am looking at the way I see transformers the movie as bad and a bad success, and am thinking worst case scenarios of what could happen to gi joe if transformers becomes the template for future properties.

I thought Transformers was an awesome movie. I thought all three X-Men movies were great.

Some people are just way too picky, and resistant to changes. Whatever happened to watching movies for entertainment, instead of picking them apart for not keeping 100% true to the original property, or screaming foul whenever they break cannon?

There is such a thing as being TOO big of a fanboy, when it gets to the point that obsession over every minor detail can totally ruin something that's supposed to be enjoyable.

There's absolutely no reason to change G.I.Joe to the new acronym like they're proposing and dropping the A REAL AMERICAN HERO from the title as to NOT offend foreign customers who dislike Americans, is just too PC and ridiculous. They don't want to offend anti-American foreigners, so they offend Americans instead, and yes....I'm offended by this political maneuver. @grumpy@

Other than all that, I could care less about the movie at this point. It won't be anything like what G.I.Joe has always been to me, from the 12" Adventure Team to the 80's ARAH era, they're slicing and dissecting it all up for mass consumption at the expense of us Americans by taking a little of our pride in our FAIRY TALE hero's!

Hollywood won't even let us have THAT!

Darthjoe, that is your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

I for one do enjoy good movies and do not pick them apart like some Overly Obsessive Fanboy. I like transformers g1 g2 but not much further from there. I know what I like, and as stated don't mind change. If I did I wouldn't be enjoying the new comics from devils due, or the figures since they aren't O-ring, Please! Its the problem that people let directors/hollywood walk all over a property and change it as seen fit as these sheep will watch anything and give hollywood a profit. I am not demanding perfection as you claim, but I don't want them to screw this up. Maybe I am picky, but as an american I think I have the right to be. With so many choices in the world and so many people trying to make a mark by putting a signature on something, no wonder people just go with the changes as if its nothing. I've always liked marvel, and do't follow the comics and enjoyed most of the movies thats my opinion. I don't have to like a movie because you say, and that I need to be more open minded, if I don't like it I don't like it. I thought the fantastic four movies were great (although I would have liked to have seen galactus at the end of second). I liked the first 2 burton batman movies as well as the 60's movie, and thought the new movie was terrific.

I didn't like the costume changes in xmen, thats minor to the whole movies, the first had its moments but if you think about it nothing really developed, and the story was just there, the second was better, i liked the development with wolverine but again, where did it go? it was a minor story compared to how much better it could have been. The third was best but still had room for improvement. We could have seen so much more but didn't. Superman 2 had a great story, had action, comedy, and a great super hero/villain fight. Whats wrong with asking for that? The fights now a days in movies aren't as good as they could be, they last between 10-seconds to 2 minutes tops. Also there are so many super/regular villains out there. The villain in x2 was good, but we have a super hero team fighting people and a PERSON, crazy but still just a person, there were no Supervillains pulling the reins in second movie. Considering the powers of the heros/villains I would like to see some superfights, wolverine vs lady deathstrike fight was good, but short and not super.Theres been plenty of good movies out, and plenty of let downs. I want gi joe to succeed more than anything, and I want it to be enjoyable as much as the next guy, I can take change but unneeded change is still unnecessary, no matter how you look at it.

So your saying its fine if snake eyes talks, leads the team so he is in the spotlight, and was born anywhere else but the us, to make it universally friendly? <another worse case scenario>

I thought Transformers was an awesome movie. I thought all three X-Men movies were great.

Some people are just way too picky, and resistant to changes. Whatever happened to watching movies for entertainment, instead of picking them apart for not keeping 100% true to the original property, or screaming foul whenever they break cannon?

There is such a thing as being TOO big of a fanboy, when it gets to the point that obsession over every minor detail can totally ruin something that's supposed to be enjoyable.

That's true, but the Transformers were just plain UGLY. At least the X-Men still looked like the characters they represented, and were still really cool looking. Also, the X-Men movies were good - TF was just plain boring...

They should be looking to the Marvel movies as inspiration for a GI Joe movie, not Transformers, but you just know they'll think that's the way to go...

Its the problem that people let directors/hollywood walk all over a property and change it as seen fit as these sheep will watch anything and give hollywood a profit.

No reason to attack people and call them 'sheep' because they like something. I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and thats fine - but this kind of talk seems to come across as you being right and anyone that watches it is an idiot and not a real fan. I loved the Transformers movie and want to see as many of them as they will make.

That is why when I see the argument of 'What if the same thing that happened to Transformers happens to GI Joe?' I personally don't get it. I don't mind changes and I saw what happened in the movie to be slight and unobtrusive changes. Comparing flames on the side of Optimus and moving lips behind the usual faceplate doesn't seem quite as bad as making Snake-Eyes a chatter mouth from a different ethnicity. But I realize that is all perspective. I hope that a GI Joe movie is made and hope it stays true enough to the cannon (but then which is that - comic, cartoon, or just toy file card?), but I will not mind if some changes are made and I'm entertained. As long as I watch a movie and enjoy it all is good, but only comic/toy movies to come out lately that I don't like are Elektra and Catwoman. Hell, I liked the He-Man movie from the 80s.

If Stephen Sommers can be respectful to the source material, then he can have my 8-10 bucks. The directors of certain comic book movies have been on most part, respectful to the source material the movie is based on ie Chris Nolan's Batman Begins, Zach Synder's 300, Richard Donner's Superman.

I agree 100%.

That being said, I really hope the G.I. Joe film moves towards what made it great and away from this Global Integrated filth.

fact: Some people can never be satisfied no matter what you do.

A G.I.Joe movie has potential to either be total SCHLOCK (Street Fighter) and possibly KILL the image of ARAH G.I.Joe forever more, as more people will see it and hate it and make fun of G.I.Joe everytime they hear it's name, because they don't know any better and did not have all the years of experience with it like we do. ^_^

Or, it has the potential to be pretty neat and entertaining (some say Transformers accomplished this, I haven't seen it though) and with THAT, could possibly create a LARGER interest in it, and lots and lots of toys will come out of it, but what KIND of toys, seeing how I hate movie edition action figures with a passion, and if they run with this totally restructured, discombobulated VERSION of not only standard G.I.JOE, but the ARAH side of it, then that's what it will be forever more to the NEW audience they've created with it. The Joe world we've known for the last 20-40 years will be dead and gone and regulated to few homage pieces at the conventions. Hollywood has our G.I.Joe hero's dumping (or hiding) their American roots in favor of appeasing the international community which the ARAH team has already served and protected anyway and joined up with to fight Cobra, but we'll lose that little bit of pride in our good ol' AMERICAN Joes, and if the movie is a hit, that's how they'll have to STAY!

It's a double-edged sword if ya ask me, and it's a helluva lot bigger deal than T-CROTCHS and ACTION ATTACK!

"ahhh..ya can't please everyone" ain't gonna cut it here as a schluff-off of our concerns on the matter.

There's absolutely no reason to change G.I.Joe to the new acronym like they're proposing and dropping the A REAL AMERICAN HERO from the title as to NOT offend foreign customers who dislike Americans, is just too PC and ridiculous. They don't want to offend anti-American foreigners, so they offend Americans instead, and yes....I'm offended by this political maneuver. @grumpy@

Other than all that, I could care less about the movie at this point. It won't be anything like what G.I.Joe has always been to me, from the 12" Adventure Team to the 80's ARAH era, they're slicing and dissecting it all up for mass consumption at the expense of us Americans by taking a little of our pride in our FAIRY TALE hero's!

Hollywood won't even let us have THAT!

My sentiments, exactly!

@usa@

Here's to the U.S. Armed Forces and the battles they have won; here's to America's colors, the colors that never run.

May the wings of liberty never lose a feather. #US1#

(Mods, just to point out, there are two emoticons that are supposed to look different, but there is a problem with how they're lettered:

This - @usa@ - usa with @'s at both ends

There is another emoticon, an American flag in the shape of the United States of America, but it is lettered USA with @'s at both ends. You can probably tell the problem already. The boards read the all capital USA like the lowercase usa and gives us this emoticon - @usa@. Could someone, please, fix this?)

11joeug2.png

Bravo, very well said!! #US1#

Yo Joe!!

^_^

Of course, with the NEW meaning of G.I.Joe, they'll be yelling...

"YO JOINT OPERATIVE ENTITY !!"

the changes would move over as in with the comics and a new cartoon. (Like they are doing with transformers).We wouldn't see anymore of the great 25th anniv figures we want to see, and that line would be converted over to nothing but movie stuff (ie the fact that transformers classics are on hold while they sell nothing but movie junk). Gi joe would be forever changed into something we would cringe at the thought of.

What do you all think?

What do i think? I think even if the movie craps on everything good about GIJoe, it will not infect the rest of the franchie as you fear.

Transformers Classics was not put on hold for the Movie. It was designed *solely* as a filler line to bridge the gap between the end of Cybertron, and the beginning of the Movie line. The toys that were released were the only toy hasbro intended to release. The fact that they sold so well is the reason hasbro's bringing them back next year. They weren't interrupted by the Movie, they actually disprove your theory... as Hasbro has not abandonded the classic Transformer style for the movie designs. The Movie toys will disappear by year's end, and Transformers Animated (which is stylized, but very much "classic" Transformers) will take over.

That's the second proof. The Animated cartoon is, as I said, a heavily stylized show, but is completely different from the Movie. If the movie were the Evil beast you fear it was, the new cartoon would be heavily inspired by the movie designs. Instead, the Movie passed, and things went back to normal.

The same thing with the comics. IDW produced two 4-issue miniseries based on the Movie continuity. But at the same time, they continued to produce a number of their G1-reboot titles. If you didnt like the movie, you could keep reading the other titles and never feel slighted.

So for GIJoe, the worst we'd be looking at is six months or so of Movie-related merchandise and a miniseries from DDP. When the Movie hype passes, so too will the related merch.

We hope!

Personally, I hope the Joe movie gets canned and these debates will end.

I'll drink to that!

cheersxe1.gifCHEERS!!

Of course, these aren't so much "debates" as they are....objections! I OBJECT to Hollywood's vision on this material and their political maneuvering with it, where it doesn't NEED it.

Then again, I guess THAT'S the "debatable" part?

OK never mind!

CAN the movie and we'll live happily ever after! @lol@

These topics aren't going to stop.... cause no matter what you can't make everyone happy. Plus, the movie is at least 2 years away......so I bet we're going to have a topic like this at least every month.....I can't wait for the first casting news to break...... @twisted@