Why is Xorn such a popular Character?

oracleip

I missed the storyline that introduced xorn in the x-men story line. All I know is he reveals himself as Magneto though, I know he isn't, and I guess Wolverine kills him as he leads an attack on Newyork with the brotherhood(need to look through some trades!) I picked up xorn in the new ml line and the New avengers series I guess he, or it, is the collective, and I know he killed alpha flight. so what made him so popular with fans? I know the xorn story is still going on.

There was another Xorn the real one was locked up in China. (Read it few years ago under the X-Men comics with Havok's group)

He is a little bit confusing since Magneto adapted that Identity then reintroduce at New Avengers as a collective for House of M.

Xorn is indeed popular.

I think he also makes a rather awkward good guy (back when he was on the X-Men) I mean, he's an extremley powerful mutant who can never take his helmet off and is shrouded in mystery, and I think that awkward good guy status, is what makes him popular.

Exactly. I like him. But I don't like the whole "He's not the real Magneto" bollocks. Chris Claremont basically raped a good character. I like it when he revealed himself to be Magneto. Unfortunately they messed it all up. So depressing.

I liked Zorn until Chris Claremont retconned Grant Morrison's work on the character so he "wasn't really Magneto." Claremont's a tool.

Yeah, that probably had something to do with Quesada being pissed at Morrison for going over to DC and working on All Star Superman. I don't even think Quesada and Claremont thought it through. They were just "Let's completely wreck his entire run by discounting the Xorn/Magneto thing he inticately planned for years." Then somebody else futher confused the issue by having the "Fake/Real Xorn" who got beheaded by Wolvie have a identical twin brother with the exact same powers show up and join the X-Men for all of three issues and then disappear, never to be heard of again. What the hell?!?!

I liked Zorn until Chris Claremont retconned Grant Morrison's work on the character so he "wasn't really Magneto." Claremont's a tool.

Yeah, that probably had something to do with Quesada being pissed at Morrison for going over to DC and working on All Star Superman. I don't even think Quesada and Claremont thought it through. They were just "Let's completely wreck his entire run by discounting the Xorn/Magneto thing he inticately planned for years." Then somebody else futher confused the issue by having the "Fake/Real Xorn" who got beheaded by Wolvie have a identical twin brother with the exact same powers show up and join the X-Men for all of three issues and then disappear, never to be heard of again. What the hell?!?!

wow that sounds like awhole lot of stupid, glad i gave up reading that bs back in 92. joe q. is giant tool.

Exactly. I like him. But I don't like the whole "He's not the real Magneto" bollocks. Chris Claremont basically raped a good character. I like it when he revealed himself to be Magneto. Unfortunately they messed it all up. So depressing.

i hated the retcon too because it made no sense, but i thought they "raped" him the second they said he was Magneato, that was just stupid and he had a lot of potential if they left his character the way he was introduced

I respect your opinion but I liked it because I'm a fool for those twist endings. Plus I thought this one worked out kinda well.

Xorn's identity is really confusing now.

How many Xorn are there really?

Grant Morrison's Xorn is supposed to be an alter ego of Magneto to infiltrate the X-Men

Chuck Austern's Xorn revealed to be another twin brother of the evil Xorn.

Chris Claremont's Xorn is the evil twin that is supposed to be the one that blew up New York.

In short, there could have been three different incarnations of Xorn based on different writers.

Xorn's identity is really confusing now.

How many Xorn are there really?

Grant Morrison's Xorn is supposed to be an alter ego of Magneto to infiltrate the X-Men

Chuck Austern's Xorn revealed to be another twin brother of the evil Xorn.

Chris Claremont's Xorn is the evil twin that is supposed to be the one that blew up New York.

In short, there could have been three different incarnations of Xorn based on different writers.

I loved the character before he turned out to be Magneto.

With all that being said what made him this great character that was destroyed by making him Magneto, besides that Magneto returned.

He was ALWAYS Magneto. Morrison ALWAYS intended for Xorn to be Magneto.

Claremont and Quesada screwed the whole story up by bringing Magneto back the FOLLOWING WEEK in Excalibur #1. And saying that the guy who had destroyed New York was some sort of impostor.

Then Chuck Austen further muddled things by saying "Xorn is a cool idea! I'll just make up another one who is the twin brother OF A CHARACTER WHO NEVER EXISTED with the exact same powers!!!" Then he left X-Men soon after and noone else bothered to clean up his mess.

I'm sure everyone involved ( Claremont, Quesada, Austen) is embarrased by the whole Xorn fiasco and would rather we not keep bringing it to newer readers attention. Well, probably not Claremont. He only cares about starting new books at Marvel so he can showcase his stupid and boring characters he created 20+ years ago that nobody else touches because they suck. Callista SUCKS. Lila Cheney SUCKS. Roma SUCKS. The Technet SUCKS. Warwolves SUCK. For the love of all that holy, please stop beating us over the head with all these crappy characters, Chris. If I can paraphrase Sickboy's theory of talent. "You used to be good. You lost it. You got old and cannot hack it anymore."

Amen. The guy should've quit while he was on top. He deserves credit for being the first writer to really make the X-men popular and a lot of the early stuff he did like the Dark Phoenix Saga and Proteus was great. But now he's just rehashing old crap and writing in the same over-expository style as he did in the 70s and 80s. For a writer to remain relevant his/her style needs to grow and develop. Chris has not done this.

Just think what people would be saying about him if he'd never come back to the X-men after that last Magneto story in X-Men 1-3. He'd be revered instead of a laughing stock.

I guess that explains it all simply removed the helmet its Magneto put it back on its Xorn. I got a better solution buy two so that you have one Magneto with no helmet and the other as Xorn.

There are actually three of them so buy three with two as twins and one as Magneto.

Problem solved kiddos.

With all that being said what made him this great character that was destroyed by making him Magneto, besides that Magneto returned.

He was ALWAYS Magneto. Morrison ALWAYS intended for Xorn to be Magneto.

Well, sure, that is the actuality of it, but up until the point we (the reader) knew any better - he wasn't Magneto yet. I also liked the character, but would have much preferred it to not have been Magneto. And everyone keeps talking about Claremont bringing Mags back, but the issue before Morrison's run Wolverine gutted and killed Magneto. Morrison then brought back Erik on Genosha (in the first or second issue of his run, I believe), and killed him off again in the same issue. And then at the end of his run, Magneto was brought back and killed by Wolverine again. ... And then a few months later Magneto was brought back. All in all, the man died 3 times in around a year's time span. A little bit awkward on the writing for any reader.

I picked up xorn in the new ml line and the New avengers series I guess he, or it, is the collective, and I know he killed alpha flight. so what made him so popular with fans? I know the xorn story is still going on.

I don't think Xorn killed Alpha Flight, Michael Pointer as the Collective killed them