Gi Joe hopefully american again!!

Valdin

FOX NEWS needs to do a little research. The action figure does not date back to the 1940s. And what in god's name is that picture they have on there? A prototype or something? That is not what G.I. Joe looked like in the 60s. And when did G.I. Joe single handedly win World War 2?

It doesn't say anywhere in the article that the action figure dates back to the 40's. The first line "The popular all-American comic-book military man and action figure dating back to the 1940s..." does not refer to the action figure dating back to the 40's, it refers to all incarnations of G.I. Joe, the first being the comic strip from the 40's. And yes, that is a prototype for the original 1964 GI Joe, it was sold during one of Heritage's auctions in 2003 for $200,000. Maybe you should do a little research. @smilepunch@

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think they've got a story on GI Joe, for crying out loud. A GI Joe movie may be front page news here, but Fox News? And all they did was use it as another attack on the Left.

It didn't specify WHO (or any politcal party) was crappin' on G.I.Joe, it just stated the FACTS, and that Hollywood (once AGAIN) is crappin' on the United States, with the excuse being that the world ain't ready for A REAL AMERICAN HERO movie, but they'll make it anyways and just change the offensive part.

Sorry...that's LIBERAL Hollywood all over, and it's the FACTS...so Fox news and this article covered it.

Not saying any of the other networks are perfect by any means, but I'm reminded of that famous line from Dragnet: "Just the facts, ma'am."

Like you said...the other networks don't offer up "just the facts" either, it's just that they don't like the otherside that FOX offers up, so somehow they're the target of criticism even though (as you admit yourself) they're ALL guilty of the political slanting and spinning in favor of one position over the other. CNN and the BBC are just as guilty and full of it.

FOX NEWS needs to do a little research. The action figure does not date back to the 1940s. And what in god's name is that picture they have on there? A prototype or something? That is not what G.I. Joe looked like in the 60s. And when did G.I. Joe single handedly win World War 2?

It doesn't say anywhere in the article that the action figure dates back to the 40's. The first line "The popular all-American comic-book military man and action figure dating back to the 1940s..." does not refer to the action figure dating back to the 40's, it refers to all incarnations of G.I. Joe, the first being the comic strip from the 40's. And yes, that is a prototype for the original 1964 GI Joe, it was sold during one of Heritage's auctions in 2003 for $200,000. Maybe you should do a little research. @smilepunch@

@loll@ Thanks for sparing me the post! You're exactly RIGHT!

The way that line was written is misleading.

Fox News is regarded as a joke.

As is the MINORITY in any group! :(

There's a liberal bias in this medium (news, entertainment, arts etc..) so it's no wonder that something that iNTRUDES on that playground, gets ridiculed and stomped on by it's peers.

Childish and telling all in one.

FOX is not any different in what the other networks prescribe and advocate, they just do it for the OTHER side of the issue, which ALL parties should be giving equal time to, but they don't, and Fox news no more or less than any other.

These other networks are nothing less than George Wallace and his National Guard trying to keep Black students out of college schools for Whites. They're trying to keep the conservative VIEW out of the news, as they find it offensive and unjust and against what THEY believe.

dude, your constant portrayal of FOX NEWS as the "little guy fighting the good fight for AMERICA" is tiring...fox is pretty much the "#1 cable" news network (they use it in their taglines) so how is it exactly they are in the minority? They basically have a monopoly on the people that ACTUALLY WATCH cable news, and a pretty good monopoly on the people that ACTUALLY VOTE....so they are nowhere near the little kid getting picked on you make them out to be.

I know I have had to stomach their spindoctoring/sensationalism/tabloid formula at every job I have worked for the last 7 years. I have grown very tired of them attempting to tell me what I should be "outraged" about and how illegal mexicans are going to break in my house and rape my kids...etc, oh yeah and let's not forget the up to the minute updates on brittney/paris/lindsey...etc

Oh I forgot...according to you they have to be ULTRA CONSERVATIVE to counter pretty much every other hollywood movie/internet site/blog/editorial/magazine/local paper out there thats "liberal".....thats yours stance, right? If they are in any kind of minority it is because they choose to wage information warfare on any form of media that does not conform with Rupert Murdoch's ideologies.

Fox news should acually take a page from its "we report/you decide" tagine, not trying to sway public opinion and attempting to be the thought police for everything Rupert Murdoch is afraid of....that guy is the real life Montgomery Burns. Case in point the guy is OBVIOUSLY afraid of mexicans taking over the country by sheer numbers...hense EVERY morning we have to hear an anti immigration horror story about how some illegal in cahoots with Al Queda ate a baby and YOURS could be NEXT!!!! or some crap along those lines...its VERY obvious what his, and therefore FN stance on immigration is, and they take no shame in relentless fear-mongering.

MSNBC is the closest thing to a "fair and balanced" cable news station...the idea that FN is anything but conservative is laughable. Fox news isn't too far from being a goverment ran media outlet.

But I have rambled too far off topic and I know you and I will probably never agree so I will conclude my FN thoughts....I found the FN article typical of them, I'll save my "outrage" for something more deserving....as far as the GI JOE thing goes...meh, I dont really care if they change the meaning or whatever, it's still the same. As long as the movie is entertaining, as somewhat consistent to the source material, I really dont care...this whole thing stinks just like the Transformers movie argument a year ago, only now instead of labeled not "true fans" people who arent married to the idea of Gi JOE being exactly as it was 20-40 years ago will be labeled "liberals" "anti-american" "commies" "tree hugging hippies".....etc...

geezus....whatever DUDE! :rolleyes:

This topic isn't about you liberals hate for conservative news channels...it's about you liberals hate for America, maybe specifically UNDER the leadership of BUSH more than anything, but where that hate will reverse once one of your lib candidates take over, the rest of the world won't have such any easy INSTANT turn-around on their perceptions of the U.S. as a whole. Hollywood and the liberal media (MAJORITY of it) perpetrate all this with perfection, and it's tainting our G.I.Joe history and it's story.

dude, your constant portrayal of FOX NEWS as the "little guy fighting the good fight for AMERICA" is tiring...fox is pretty much the "#1 cable" news network (they use it in their taglines) so how is it exactly they are in the minority?

TOO EASY DUDE...too easy! ^_^

Their a "minority" in their presentation of the facts not being spun to push the liberal agenda of mocking conservatives or their values and principles and mostly their POLITICS. That's why their in the minority when it comes to cable network news programs.

The fact that their NUMBER 1 at it, only proves that the majority of the population are SICK of the other networks way of force feeding to us what they think we should be seeing, doing or THINKING about everything. I mean seriously...look at the reactions here, to an article linked from FOX news? It happens everytime, and just becuase it IS from FOX news, the vitirol comes pouring out of liberals everywhere, and this was merely a story about the upcoming G.I.Joe movie and the ideas of the producers in what they think needs to be changed to be more appealing and less Americanized. Libs are about as petty and hateful about this kind of thing, than anyone would have thought possible or necessary. <_<

Your little rant againt my defense of Fox news is about as typical as it could be, when a liberal wants to argue and insult a conservative. Good job DUDE! I'm tagged the crazy one who's ignorant to the facts I guess, just like FOX news?? @lol@ Coming from a liberal, I'll take that accusation with honor, means I'm on the right path.

Hell, here's what happens when you support Conservatives/Republicans if your a NFL player from a Blue state...

seahawk players recieve backlash

geezus....whatever DUDE! :rolleyes:

This topic isn't about you liberals hate for conservative news channels...it's about you liberals hate for America, maybe specifically UNDER the leadership of BUSH more than anything, but where that hate will reverse once one of your lib candidates take over, the rest of the world won't have such any easy INSTANT turn-around on their perceptions of the U.S. as a whole. Hollywood and the liberal media (MAJORITY of it) perpetrate all this with perfection, and it's tainting our G.I.Joe history and it's story.

dude, your constant portrayal of FOX NEWS as the "little guy fighting the good fight for AMERICA" is tiring...fox is pretty much the "#1 cable" news network (they use it in their taglines) so how is it exactly they are in the minority?

TOO EASY DUDE...too easy! ^_^

Their a "minority" in their presentation of the facts not being spun to push the liberal agenda of mocking conservatives or their values and principles and mostly their POLITICS. That's why their in the minority when it comes to cable network news programs.

The fact that their NUMBER 1 at it, only proves that the majority of the population are SICK of the other networks way of force feeding to us what they think we should be seeing, doing or THINKING about everything. I mean seriously...look at the reactions here, to an article linked from FOX news? It happens everytime, and just becuase it IS from FOX news, the vitirol comes pouring out of liberals everywhere, and this was merely a story about the upcoming G.I.Joe movie and the ideas of the producers in what they think needs to be changed to be more appealing and less Americanized. Libs are about as petty and hateful about this kind of thing, than anyone would have thought possible or necessary. <_<

Your little rant againt my defense of Fox news is about as typical as it could be, when a liberal wants to argue and insult a conservative. Good job DUDE! I'm tagged the crazy one who's ignorant to the facts I guess, just like FOX news?? @lol@ Coming from a liberal, I'll take that accusation with honor, means I'm on the right path.

Hell, here's what happens when you support Conservatives/Republicans if your a NFL player from a Blue state...

seahawk players recieve backlash

dude all fox new does is FORCE FEED people what they "should" be thinking, how "outraged" or "terrified" they should be about whatever subject...and how the are fighting the good fight and the elite media when the ARE the ELITE MEDIA..that station is the king of spin....anyone with a modicrum of impartiality can see that, I will give you that I cant really say about CNN, because I dont watch CNN that much...but I do know Glenn Beck is on that station and his show is about as rightwing as you can get..so what about that huh? I can't think of any block of time on FN devoted to someone with a democratic veiw..even the one show they have has one of the weakest left debaters coupled with one of most hawkish debaters from the right so....

Your arguments are so typical and paperthin, the moment someone doesn't agree with you its " hate mongering liberals this and tree hugging that..etc" not everything can be made into such black & white lines labeled so easily, and I aint the only one who sees through the smokescreens and endless quoting you do.

but whatever, and get it right dude I'm a MODERATE...not a liberal, but I dont want to derail the topic into politics so we can leave it there...

The last thing I'll say I don't take any kind of personal affront to whatever changes hasbo and paramount or whoever makes the movie feels necessary to make money(as thats what business does..not cater to unpleasable people like yourself), as long as the movie is entertaining and relatable to the source material I am fine with that.

dude all fox new does is FORCE FEED people what they "should" be thinking, how "outraged" or "terrified" they should be about whatever subject...and how the are fighting the good fight and the elite media when the ARE the ELITE MEDIA..that station is the king of spin....anyone with a modicrum of impartiality can see that

Right..right! You're stating absolutely nothing that I haven't heard a 100 times before, and always from the same mindset as yourself, it's like an automatic reaction with the same ol' rubber stamped replies and we could argue the differences all day and to no avail or change in opinions. I couldn't care less. Fox news isn't the enemy and they're merely a freshening alternative to what's been crammed down our throats for decades, so they're more of just a THREAT to the opposing beliefs of the rest of the "news" networks. Deal with it. Stop marching around in lock step to the drumbeat of the liberal agenda.

I will give you that I cant really say about CNN, because I dont watch CNN that much...but I do know Glenn Beck is on that station and his show is about as rightwing as you can get..so what about that huh?

Yeah, and have you seen his ratings? They SUCK dude, and it's because he's trying to carry his alternative/conservative viewpoint on a network that generally caters to the more liberal opinions.

I can't think of any block of time on FN devoted to someone with a democratic veiw..even the one show they have has one of the weakest left debaters coupled with one of most hawkish debaters from the right so....

Then you're not "thinking" hard enough, because they ALL carry the other side of the debate, and of course, even if they do, you'll argue it's a deliberately WEAK individual who looks more follish than intelligent, so what's the point really. You'll argue every point and fact, just for the sake of arguing against my opinions on it...on FOX news.

Your arguments are so typical and paperthin, the moment someone doesn't agree with you its " hate mongering liberals this and tree hugging that..etc" not everything can be made into such black & white lines labeled so easily, and I aint the only one who sees through the smokescreens and endless quoting you do.

but whatever, and get it right dude I'm a MODERATE...not a liberal, but I dont want to derail the topic into politics so we can leave it there...

Yeah, yeah yeah! I'm just complaining about what Hasbro and Paramount are claiming they intend to do with the G.I.Joe movie, and how they're letting politics influence those decisions, and I think I'm totally within my right to do so and express WHY I think it's a load of crap, and then somebody links a article about it from a Fox news editor and all of a sudden the typical FOX news bashing comes up and tries to make a mockery of the article because it supports the same ideas I have about the issue with the changes being made to G.I.Joe ARAH. Talk about "typical". Now I'm even getting attacked for even DARING to defend the article and FOX news! WOW!! Tells all don't it? Besides, "hate mongering" is the term liberals have tagged onto conservatives, so get it right, and speak for yourself when trying to insult me, and drop the "I'm Not the oNLY one" tactic for your claims...stand on your own and behind your own opinions and leave it that. I realize that's not the liberal WAY, but give it try Mr. "I'm a Moderate". :rolleyes:

The last thing I'll say I don't take any kind of personal affront to whatever changes hasbo and paramount or whoever makes the movie feels necessary to make money(as thats what business does..not cater to unpleasable people like yourself), as long as the movie is entertaining and relatable to the source material I am fine with that.

No, but you sure take a lot of "personal affront" from those of us that have stated we DO feel strongly about this issue! I don't take a personal affront to those that have stated they DON'T mind it (like yourself) I just keep it in line with the source of the debate, and that would be towards Hasbro, towards Paramount, towards Hollywood in general and politics. I even defended some comments against FOX news I thought was ridiculous, but I haven't attacked any members here. Reinforcing MY side of the opinion against their's, isn't an attack on a member personally. You just like to nip at my heels because of our political differences. Maybe you need to grow up a little bit......"DUDE"! :rolleyes:

I tell ya what........I don't really care about Fox News or whatever everyone is arguing about....I read about this earlier and was trying not to let it bother me.(All the movie...non-patriotic stuff)....here's my 2 reasons for being upset about this you can either agree or disagree.....

1. Being an active duty military member that has been a huge GI Joe fan his whole life.....I was born in 1981.....and had Joe toys my whole childhood and grew up playing GI Joe in the front yard....I know it had something to do with me joining the service 6 years ago. My grandfather was retired Air Force and I remember us both looking over file cards when I was little and he would explain to me what E-5 meant and all the military terms. I've given Hasbro a lot of my money over the years collecting something that is near and dear to my heart.....and something that seemed very patriotic to me.......I'm talking RAH here.....I know it has had many incarnations but just like Gen 1 Transformers.....nothing else seemed the same. GI Joe: A REAL AMERICAN HERO.....just seemed to be its highest point....it also IMO was its best.

2. Having a brother that is a Marine that has been in Iraq for about 3 weeks now...and right before he left we had a long talk about some of the issues going on over there and back home......what it came down to was that the flag was all that mattered..... #US1# ....and we would do anything for the guys we worked with and anything to defend people back home.

It just kinda gets me going when something that has the RED,WHITE AND BLUE as part of their logo....will refuse to acknowledge its roots for more money......thats what all this is about.......oh and I think its funny that the main product that you find in almost all base exchange toy sections is GI JOE.....more than anything....GI JOE is always the main product there....I wonder how bases would feel to hear Hasbro's stance????

I could be taking this waaaaayyy too seriously......but GI Joe is something I love and it needs to be patriotic....also the phrase came from WWII when the draft made everyone look the same "General Issue Joe" #US1#

Here, Here, RD....and AMEN to all that. #US1#

I don't think it's wrong for any of us to be taking this issue too seriously. If it's important to us and it means a little something more to us than just merely a cool action figure toy collection, then that's perfectly fine and understandable.

If it isn't as important to others, well fine to that as well, but I'm sensing (no SEEING) more ridiculing being done of those that ARE a little upset about what their doing, what it says about us and how it will affect the future of these characters and toys we love.

Here, Here, RD....and AMEN to all that. #US1#

I don't think it's wrong for any of us to be taking this issue too seriously. If it's important to us and it means a little something more to us than just merely a cool action figure toy collection, then that's perfectly fine and understandable.

If it isn't as important to others, well fine to that as well, but I'm sensing (no SEEING) more ridiculing being done of those that ARE a little upset about what their doing, what it says about us and how it will affect the future of these characters and toys we love.

Yeah, Hollywood gets one shot at something like this....and if its not done right ( I could list a ton of examples).. this is how the outside masses will be exposed to something we as collectors love. I know I want a GI Joe movie to do well and be as awesome as it can be......I just want it done right and for people to see what I see in GI Joe and the reason why I enjoy it so much.....if you guys know what I mean. Also, you don't get a do-over if a movie completly bombs.....you know.

WHen Transformers was being made there was talk that there would be no Cybertron and that Soundwave was going to be a Blender. Thanks to Aaron ARcher things have changed for the better. I think Hasbro won't allow a movie studio to ruin a beloved franchise as GI JOE. There's lots of talk right now and it amazes me how much people can bicker over it(and I do it myslef sometimes.) If we all just let them do what they wanted we'd have another MOTU movie and look how terrible that was. Transformers was definately a step in the right direction for these franchises but that doesn't mean GI Joe should be too far removed from its source material. Plain and simple it should be a REAL American Hero vs Cobra led by its "faceless" Commander who gets his weapons from Destro.

I think Hasbro won't allow a movie studio to ruin a beloved franchise as GI JOE.

I would certainly HOPE they would take extra special care of something like that, but the argument I keep reading over and over again, is... "it's just good BUSINESS sense to water down the AMERICAN connection of G.I.Joe right now!" :rolleyes:

I imagine we could unload a good bit of nuclear weaponry about right now and claim it's only "good business sense" and totally send every last American companies manufacturing department overseas, using the same "good business sense" excuse, and that would be fine and dandy, as our only concern is that GOOD business people get to make the MOST money out of our BANG?

Plain and simple it should be a REAL American Hero vs Cobra led by its "faceless" Commander who gets his weapons from Destro.

EXACTLY! #US1#

Take a chance Hasbro/Hollywood...and keep G.I.Joe as is and don't buy the hype of all this anti-American sentiment the liberal media has us blanketed with, and just assume the ACTION moving genre loving community out there, could give a rats ass about politics when they just want to go see and GOOD movie about some Super Hero or some fictional American based, multi-national personnel team of eccentric soldiers, who do battle with an equally eccentric FICTIONAL terrorist organization.

.......oh and I think its funny that the main product that you find in almost all base exchange toy sections is GI JOE.....more than anything....GI JOE is always the main product there

I sure would like to go to your PX/BX, unless you mean an adundance of sigma six stuff...have you found any single packs there? I saw the 5 packs once, and then no product since then.

I can tell that GI Joe is selling regardless of size. The Sigma 6 size figs don't move as much because the collectors all buy the 3 3/4 lines while the kids who maybe buy one or two figs at the most are buying the Sigma 6 stuff. Plus cartoons do sell toys. That's why Sigma 6 did sell okay. Now the focus is on the adult fans again.

I think Hasbro won't allow a movie studio to ruin a beloved franchise as GI JOE.

I would certainly HOPE they would take extra special care of something like that, but the argument I keep reading over and over again, is... "it's just good BUSINESS sense to water down the AMERICAN connection of G.I.Joe right now!" :rolleyes:

I imagine we could unload a good bit of nuclear weaponry about right now and claim it's only "good business sense" and totally send every last American companies manufacturing department overseas, using the same "good business sense" excuse, and that would be fine and dandy, as our only concern is that GOOD business people get to make the MOST money out of our BANG?

Plain and simple it should be a REAL American Hero vs Cobra led by its "faceless" Commander who gets his weapons from Destro.

EXACTLY! #US1#

Take a chance Hasbro/Hollywood...and keep G.I.Joe as is and don't buy the hype of all this anti-American sentiment the liberal media has us blanketed with, and just assume the ACTION moving genre loving community out there, could give a rats ass about politics when they just want to go see and GOOD movie about some Super Hero or some fictional American based, multi-national personnel team of eccentric soldiers, who do battle with an equally eccentric FICTIONAL terrorist organization.

Kinda like the way HASBRO did when they went to SIGMA SIX? That was a SIGNIFICANT departure from the G.I. Joe we knew.

I too believe that the regular action movie enjoying people won't give a rat's ass about politics. But I think they might have a problem if the army stuff isn't "realistic" and I don't think it is mutually exclusive to do G.I. Joe as we "know" it and "realistic".

...You... You DID see the Transformers movie, right? @smilepunch@

Tom

and have you ever seen Street fighter.. TF COULD have been worse lol.

...You... You DID see the Transformers movie, right? @smilepunch@

Tom

Am I the only one on this board that liked Transformers? Every time I see the 'look what happened to Transformers' argument I quietly mutter to myself - I hope lightning strikes twice. Transformers was, by far, my most favorite summer movie.

G.I.Joe doesn't deal with REAL life politics anymore than Spider Man deals with it. In the REAL world, they'd have Spider Man up on all kinds of charges regarding unlawful acts of violence and infringing on suspects RIGHTS etc..

G.I.Joe is in that same fictional category, where they leave out all the REAL world bureaucratic red tape legal mumbo jumbo and just lets them do there thing (for the most part) in stopping COBRA. COBRA doesn't exactly represent REAL world terrorism either, otherwise I'd be hard pressed to want to see G.I.Joe KILL any of the main characters, which in most Arnold/Willis type action terrorist fighting movies, you CHEER when the dirt bag terrorist gets blown to pieces.

G.I.Joe doesn't deserve to be tampered with, in this way, because of any REAL world corrleations to it. It's Spider Man and the Green Goblin, Superman and Lex Luther and Batman and the Joker type crap.

G.I.JOE can never be accused of being AMERICAN propaganda for WAR and somehow that's the notion that Paramount has apparently decided folks will assume and hold AGAINST it, if they do the live action movie version of it bykeeping in the General Issue Joe and A REAL AMERICAN HERO details as they have always been and should stay?

It's not that I'm AGAINST the idea of including International forces and personelle into the movie (on the Joe side) like I'm anti-nationality or something and actually, just like in the REAL world, I would LOVE for that to be the case with the REAL war on terror we're fighting against now, but it's scarce and few, so that's not even a reality, so why insert it into something that's so far from reality to begin with, just to portray and warm and fuzzy "what if?" kinda scenario.

If they're worried about "reality" they'd be making the Joes go after Cobra and then have Russia or N. Korea give safe harbor to CC and then have all the real life bureaucratic red tap and POLITICS of trying to stop a terrorist who gets protected by another nation and threatens harsh reprecussions if we attempt to interfere or come after him there. CC promises these "ficitonal" versions of our world leaders, all the oil supply they want, if they help Cobras plan to eliminate the meddling Joes. MAN...now THAT'S some REAL stuff there.

I don't think that would work so well? <_< Just do the story as it's suppose to be, and not how THEY think it NEEDS to be in order to not offend the anti-american population on the planet, which isn't enough to even have the concern over something like this. The RADICALS that might be offended probably don't even know what or where a movie theater is, let alone sit around with the family and watch DVD's.

As far as the TF movie? I haven't seen it yet...waiting for rental, but from what I've seen in previews, it looks kinda like the HULK movie, but with robots instead of the big leaping Green guy tearing sh@# up everywhere? Am I close? ^_^

Well, some of the bureaucratic red tape did get involved in the comic (which was my main source of Joes). When the Joes first attacked Cobra Island they had to retreat shortly after landing on the beach due to it being a sovereign island and the Joes had no jurisdiction there. And that was kind of a neat FU to the team. Cobra sits on top of masterful (and underhanded) lawyers and other types than grunts and soldier - they need to be used effectively.

And I also remember during the Gulf War the books were heavily based out of the Middle East. Cobra Commander had rigged several oil pipelines and sites to blow if certain individuals wouldn't help him against the Joes.

But that isn't 'real world' red tape, per se, and I see what you are saying, VH. But some things like the above could be entered to add a bit of false realism.

As far as the TF movie? I haven't seen it yet...waiting for rental, but from what I've seen in previews, it looks kinda like the HULK movie, but with robots instead of the big leaping Green guy tearing sh@# up everywhere? Am I close? ^_^

I personally loved Transformers......I thought it was a great, fun movie...nowhere even near the crap that was HULK. Yeah, there was flames on Optimus Prime......and Bumblebee was a Camaro......but the HEART of Transformers was still there IMO. I believe that the Joes being American is a big part of the HEART of GI Joe. You take that away and you have "The Thunderbirds" meets "Street Fighter".......awful.

It could still be done without KILLING important characters and be realistic. Sigma Six was a departure from the norm but it still was trying to be a high tech revamped version of what we knew.

Killing important characters? If your refering to the TF movie, NONE of the characters that died were important! @firedevil@

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20070801.html

As for Sigma Six, that's my point. Hasbro itself made a significant change to G.I. Joe. The notion that a movie studio can't or won't do something similar is a weak argument since the owning company already did.