What do you look for in a ML?

tarot

38 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you collect Marvel Legends?

• Character
    • Costume
    • Paint
    • Sculpt
    • Articulation

this is a question i have been asking myself for a long while. why do people complain about ML when it the characters they want? or the costume? Is the Paint really that bad? or the sculpt? Is the POA really that less?

we always fight bout what we want in a ML but when it comes down to it why do we collect MLs. For me it is always for the characters. the Marvel Universe is so vast that that there are character that must be made. that i need.

That why i collect ML , what bout you?

How about overall appearance? That's what attracts my attention. It has to catch your eye. The sculpt has a lot to do with it and the corresponding paint job. Then you look at the finish, if it's rough and bleeds all over, then it's a problem. If it looks like a cheap finish and looks like some Barbie or anime looking thing then I leave it on the shelf. If it looks really silly with a wacky grin, then forget it. Then the articulation. Does the elbows and knees look right. If it looks unnatural or like some tin soldier or puppet looking joints then I don't even consider 'em.

Overall I'd say characters, if it's a character I real want I can look past its weak points. But when it comes to characters I'm not into the paint and sculpt (especially the paint) have got to be top notch or I'll pass on them.

It`s a though poll, cause this line gives us all the marvel characters we want, with descent sculpt and articulation.

For me , the question would be what determines to get a fig.

For example, upcoming Namor: classic costume, cool character, but the face sculpt ruins it for me, so, I`ll decide when i see it in person, because articulation is def somn i can`t look for in this fig.

If it was character selection, but dcd articulated, I think i would`ve passed from the beginning. . .

Of course it's the characters. No matter how great something looks you're not going to buy it if it's a character you don't care about. The LCBH look great, but I just don't care about any of those characters, so I pass on them. To me, the other factors (over-all appearance) are all one big secondary reason that comes in a close second to character choice. If it's a character I want, I may pass on it b/c I don't like the over-all look of it. ML Storm (everything), Ultron (sculpt) & Wasp (costume) are all characters I wanted but passed on b/c I didn't like the look of them. I'm on the fence with upcoming characters that I want (Namor, Marvel Girl/Cable, Cannonball/Domino, Thing) based on their previewed appearance. I won't decide whether or not to buy them until I actually see them in person.

Well, I don't think it is an if/or situation. Sure, I have to like the character first, but beyond that - if it isn't in a proper costume with good scultping, no paint splotches, chips, or discoloration, and needs to at least be moderately articulated. I guess if I had to choose one of the above it would be character - but like I said being a character I want doesn't mean I will buy it unless the other factors fall into place as well.

I go for whatever looks cool and has workable articulation. For instance, I like alot of the DC justice league figures, but the articulation doesn't cut it for me. There were also some MLs I've liked in the past, but I passed them up do to strange articulation points that kinda ruin the fun (some I didn't have any choice, like Mr. Sinister. I needed the Sentinel parts. Sinister sucked though; such strange choices. He's got lines in his arms for pete's sake, why not make a wrist swivel? On top of that his legs barely move up and his chest joint is pointless....)

Anyhow, it's apperance and articulation for me. I usually don't even care who the character is as long as it looks cool.

i look at it this way: sculpt doesnt mean squat if it cant move, anything can be ruined by a drunken monkey with a rat tail brush for paint, and articulation is nice, but doesnt make up for a god awful looking figure. thats why i like DCSH/DCUC, they combine sculpt, good paint and articulation that is the best ive ever seen (aesthetics wise).

ML is all about the character!

when i was a kid i collected those old toybiz stuff. i got mostly every figure they did. belive me, it was a hard time to get them where i live. i always wanted a great collection of marvel figures. it was my dream, sort of. before there where marvel legends , they had crappy lines and always other scales of figures. then there came marvel legends. i didnt wanted them at first and i said to myself forget it, it will be like always and toybiz will stop after 2 or 3 series. how wrong was i :P when i had ghost rider from serie 3 in my hands, it made click and i said: man i am missing something here. i had to get this line. i took thor also and id didnt even knew him. he looked amazing and large. to be honest i didnt know much about marvel, except all the spidey storys. i didnt had a comic store here. since marvel legends began , i catched up on all those characters. i have a comic collection with over 1000 comics now. from spidey to wolverine to captain america. i love this universe. i took out my ghost rider and wow i can pose him as i want him to be. that was even more amazing. now i have my own marvel 3d poster :D i love articulation. even do i collected mcfarlane figures with less articulations just for there amazing sculpt. if hasbro drops some of them ok but dont go too far. i am sure that silver samurai cant hold his sword in his two hands and thats stupid. character choice is of importance too. hasbro does it real good i think. i am just waiting what they do with the spidey classics. how some spidey icons? please? the sculpt has to be ok. all i dont want is painted belts and boots and glows. i want them sculpted. like the x-men belts. they will look stupid if they are not sculpted. so conclusion

-articulation

-sculpt

-character choice

are of importance for me. i hope hasbro can catch up because i am more exited for the dc universe right now then with marvel legends and thats mattel. thats a big company too just like hasbro. so hasbro do it and dont dissapoint some of us more then we allready are.

Here is my bare bones critieria for getting an action figure regardless of manufacturer. If the figure or character indeed looks and appears like he just jumped right out of a comic book, if the product captures the essence of the character including the ability to be articulated and moved in his natural poses. That is my criteria. I didn't say marginally resemble the comic version or somewhat appear like the comic version. I mean BE the comic version and not look like a piece of plastic being passed off as a resemblance to the character. If it looks like a figure giving a blank stare or a simple toy then I pass . . . That's why I don't care for Movie Versions. They are meant to come close to the comic version but not quite good enough..