DC Universe Classics Series 1

The Wire

Even though BAtman is retooled from the DCSH line, I cant wait to get him.

Is this costume used in post crisis or silver age stories that are canon/unchunaged in the post crisis? Also, I am happy that Mattel/4hm retools the heads of their previous figure in different costumes as oppose to sculpting a brand new head. I like the former because it makes it consistant in size and looks whereas the latter, makes it as the character shrunk/grew his head or if the costume is worn by someone else.

I'll be passing on this first wave, I just don't need another Batman....and I really don't care for the other characters or the BAF. Wave two is where my interest is....at the very least I'll be getting Superman Blue and Red.....infact I might get the whole wave. :)

That variant Penguin ticks me off. The only way to get the robot penguin is to find one of mattels idiotic chase figs. I remember how they handled the MOTU chases, these are pure scalper bait. When will companies learn that chases mearly help the scalper and put off the collector. This chase alone might keep me away. At least Hasbro so far has only done repaint chases(I can deal with not finding those). But all new sculpted items that the character should be included with is cheap.

I'm definitely going to have to pick these up. And another Batman doesn't bother me because it is a canon costume he is known for wearing. I don't mind retooled costumes as long as they are comic accurate. Depending on how these look in person DC Classics may be taking Marvel Legend's allowance to accommodate.

I just hope variants are too completely hard to find - I much prefer classic Firestorm and Aquaman (from series 2).

what I like about the mattel line is that the retail toys looks very much like the protoypes in terms of quality. I mean, the characters do not end up with less paint and shiny plastic like Hasbro and to a lesser extent, Toybiz. Pretty much the retail toys end up looking like the proto.

I want the BAF, but I don't really want that Batman (it looks too bulky for the classic look), nor do I want that Penguin (but I'll probably get it in case they don't release a more modern looking one). I assume that the variant IS the robotic penguin and not both together.

Pass on Batman. The Adam West costume is too laughable compared to the black/gray suit. Penguin is definite, maybe Etrigan. Pass on the rest, BAF doesn't interest me.

That not the "Adam West" costume--its considered to be the Neal Adams' design. There's elements of Alex Toth's animated influences, Jim Aparo and even George Perez in there too--all of whom who followed Adam's iconic interpretation. Batman has been in "that version" of the suit for most of his history.

Personally, its the version of Batman I've been waiting for.

Pass on Batman. The Adam West costume is too laughable compared to the black/gray suit. Penguin is definite, maybe Etrigan. Pass on the rest, BAF doesn't interest me.

That not the "Adam West" costume--its considered to be the Neal Adams' design. There's elements of Alex Toth's animated influences, Jim Aparo and even George Perez in there too--all of whom who followed Adam's iconic interpretation. Batman has been in "that version" of the suit for most of his history.

Personally, its the version of Batman I've been waiting for.

I'm with ya ARROW! This guy's probably never even heard of the artists you just mentioned except for maybe Perez. That he would bring up the 60's show & not buying it solely on that, shows you the extent of his comic book knoweledge.

This entire wave is astounding & I highly look forward to buying them all!

I am quite suprise how accurate that Batman is to the silver age style at the time. I mean, my initial reaction when I seen the prototype pic months ago was that the toy looked odd and that the head is too small for a body that huge. However, when I looked at the picture on tni news today, I was also looking at Superdickory.com. I realized that that not only the head is a retooled DCSH head (which is the same size,) the body has been widen when compared to the DCSH toy(rather than having a hour glass frame, the torso is more straight) to match the style Batman was drawn at the time; I looked at the art on that superdickory site of Batman(and later on wiki) where Batman had that huge of a chest. I was quite glad as it will replace my DCSH wave 1 bats as the silver age ver.

cool depending on how much they ill prob pick them up

what I like about the mattel line is that the retail toys looks very much like the protoypes in terms of quality. I mean, the characters do not end up with less paint and shiny plastic like Hasbro and to a lesser extent, Toybiz. Pretty much the retail toys end up looking like the proto.

That's true, Mattel do tend to give u the same exact sculpt as what they show in with their prototypes figure......but as you said they do cut the paint, way too much in my opinion, this is the same thing that kills me with Hasbro's Marvel Legends line. Great paint can make an ok sculpt seem great and a great sculpt seem AWESOME.

I am quite suprise how accurate that Batman is to the silver age style at the time. I mean, my initial reaction when I seen the prototype pic months ago was that the toy looked odd and that the head is too small for a body that huge. However, when I looked at the picture on tni news today, I was also looking at Superdickory.com. I realized that that not only the head is a retooled DCSH head (which is the same size,) the body has been widen when compared to the DCSH toy(rather than having a hour glass frame, the torso is more straight) to match the style Batman was drawn at the time; I looked at the art on that superdickory site of Batman(and later on wiki) where Batman had that huge of a chest. I was quite glad as it will replace my DCSH wave 1 bats as the silver age ver.

Adams drew Bats just like that though--very muscular, tall with a massive chest.

Funny thing though.........what sells it for me..........is the belt. THAT is the utility belt I've known Batman to wear, not the army style pouches.

That's true, Mattel do tend to give u the same exact sculpt as what they show in with their prototypes figure......but as you said they do cut the paint, way too much in my opinion, this is the same thing that kills me with Hasbro's Marvel Legends line. Great paint can make an ok sculpt seem great and a great sculpt seem AWESOME.

I disagree that Mattel cuts a lot of paint on their DCSH/DCC figures to a point where it effects the overall look of the product. I think they only cut out the painting the clothing of a character, which covers the majority of the figure. The only expection is Kal-el, who is mostly covered in paint except for his red parts. As for the stuff Mattel doesn't paint, they remedy this by normally casting the part in dull plastic and go over it with a paint wash. Hasbro and Toybiz in the other hand, uses glossy plastic for flesh, which makes the toy look less attractive. I mean, for human flesh, they seem to paint over the already cast flesh plastic with flat flesh paint. Hasbro in the other hand, would soley rely on plastic colored paints and would sparingly use paint if it is absoluate neccessary like eye balls and hair. They probably wouldn't paint

In my previous post, I meant how the paint aps from proto to retail remains the same in Mattel DCSH/DCC line and not the change of sculpt. Just that most toys from proto to retail have the same sculpt, but the use of paint can either make a sculpt look better or worse. Case in point are the HML figures. The prototypes look better because they hire a professional painter to paint prototypes. However, rather using the prototype paint aps as guides to paint the final product(like how most companies do,) Hasbro seems to ignore the proto paints aps and paint them a bit differently as in using a more glossier paint than flat paint. For instance, all the HML wave 2 toys (except Quick Silver) have the same sculpt as the protos. However, they are all painted differently than the prototype in using one shade of a certain color.

Mattel, however, paints their retail figures like the protos in using flat paint and different shades of color, especially on the faces. If you compare Supergirl Kara Zor-el's face to the prototype two ups face, there are both painted the same way, which I think is great.

Mattel have upped their quality since the DCSH line. Before that, their painting styles was as bad as Hasbro where they only paint things in semi glossy paint when needed.

Man, those are beautiful. This is probably the first complete super hero toy line I will have bought since the Sentinal series of Marvel Legends. I can't wait to get these and anything else put out in this line.