G I Joe movie:Pros and Cons

Romadon

Hey Gang,

Now that the G I Joe movie is official, how do you guys think this

will affect the toy line and collecting?

Personally, for the most part movie based toys are junk, however, if the first movie is

a box office success we can count on a trilogy being made, which means if you look at the Star Wars trend the non-movie years are the years when Hasbro has produced the best SW figures. But if the movie bombs what will that mean for the 25th line?

I really love that line and I'm hoping hasbro will continue to produce these figures regardless of how this movie does at the box office.

I think all movie topics need to be banned from discussion here.

The movie has too many political overtones and is offensive in it's dummy down the American rhetoric concept.

The movie idea SUCKS, and any toys made from it will SUCK just as badly! This is a hot button of a subject, with too much politcally based feelings on or against it, and nobody at TNI can handle such discussions, so I'm suggesting the subject in it's entirety being off limits.

Let's talk about what G.I.Joe IS and has been like we laways have, and forget the movie crap.

I think all movie topics need to be banned from discussion here.

The movie has too many political overtones and is offensive in it's dummy down the American rhetoric concept.

The movie idea SUCKS, and any toys made from it will SUCK just as badly! This is a hot button of a subject, with too much politcally based feelings on or against it, and nobody at TNI can handle such discussions, so I'm suggesting the subject in it's entirety being off limits.

Let's talk about what G.I.Joe IS and has been like we laways have, and forget the movie crap.

agreed

I totally agree.Why does it seem as if hollywood is ashamed of being american.I'm from Tennessee and i fly my flag high and will tell everyone from here to wherever that im proud of my country.I do hope that Hasbro does with this movie as they did with transformers and let the director have his vision as long as its on the same lines as hasbro thinking.

God bless,

JC #US1#

I totally agree.Why does it seem as if hollywood is ashamed of being american.I'm from Tennessee and i fly my flag high and will tell everyone from here to wherever that im proud of my country.I do hope that Hasbro does with this movie as they did with transformers and let the director have his vision as long as its on the same lines as hasbro thinking.

God bless,

JC

The four of us ought to get together and go bowling. @hammerhead# @usa@

God bless,

JC

Oh geez, its not shame---its business smarts!

If you want to sell something that is coloured red, white and blue ( chosen for irony AND for ease of example) to , say, 100 people........and 60 of those people have expressed a reluctance to buy something something blue--what do you do?

Do you say to hell with the 60% and make it anyway, and lose those profits? That's not smart business.

You change it, so the colours are different, maybe red, white and green.

That is essentially what is being done here, its not a matter of national shame being invoked, its all about marketing something that says "America" right in its title-as a serious ( non-parody) entertainment piece-- and doing it for a worldwide audience at a time when America isn't seen in such a nice light.

You alter the VENEER of the piecce so its less-likely to turn-off international audiences, and make it more marketable to everyone.

Now, how far that goes before it destroys the essence of what the property is--well that's all in how its handled.

Hey, I'm proud of my own country too, and I have had GIJOE figures that had filecards that said they were from places like Quebec ( Grunt) etc......as "canonical" as any other filecard because it came from the source creator. To me, GIJOE has always had something of a international flavour--made a lot of sense to have operators from the world over too.

Sure the by-line is " A Real American Hero", but that's all it is......a by-line ( a catchy one though--A Real International Hero just falls flat off the tongue).

Whose to say they cannot make this movie for those fans that have that POV as well??

The whole American thing aside, it really sounds like the movie will end up being crap from all angles.

Y'know......the part that irks me...........is Action Man.

Now, I'm an Action Man mark--been that way for a long time now--anyone who knows my background, knows why.

Action Man is wrong for this movie.

Plain, flat-out wrong--totally unneccessary, imo.

Its like making a James Bond movie and insisting it also feature Simon Templar, John Steed and Napolean Solo.

That many chefs not only weaken the broth, they outright spoil it.

Action Man is a standalone character, with his own ( albeit it confusing as heck) villains roster and adventures.

Explaining him in a GIJOE movie alienates though people that know GIJOE as being "X".

The unfortunate thing here is that "GIJOE" is known pretty much as Action Man overseas, in Europe.

But........GIJOE product is, and has been, sold AS GIJOE product over there as well. Its just not as prevalent.

Action Man doesn't need to be in this film--if they want to fully immerse him in with GIJOE--make a dang animated film and properly fit him in there.

And if they do that, make him the DIC (Matt Exler) version and forget the whole extreme sport "Alex Mann" BS, and I'll be just chuffed.

The whole American thing aside, it really sounds like the movie will end up being crap from all angles.

I'll agree with ya on THAT! ;)

Other than another of Hasbro's toylines (like Transformers) there is no real reason to start crapping out movies, one right after the other, based off of Hasbro's 80's toylines! @grumpy@

ARAH based story on the big screen, with live action, right now...is just a bad idea! I take some personal pride in those little buggers of a toy and their story and I don't need any Hollywood POLITICAL BS ruining what I'm proud of by glossing over or eliminating the key elements in it.

G.I.Joe being AMERICAN is a key as Teenage Mutant Ninja's being....TURTLES!

Smart business or not the fact that it seems that american caters to everyone other than americans sucks.I'm an american and damn proud of it.why should we as americans"dummy down"where we are from and our beliefs just to make others happy.

the main purpose of this post was what the pro's and cons of the movie.then heres the pro's

1.we get a gijoe movie(but i could give a flying frogs ass if its not right)

cons

1.until someone actually sees a true script i will worry that hollywood will totally screw this one up

2.politics makeing thier way into movies that they have no business in.

3.with hollywood scared about upsetting some group this movie might not even have ol'glory in it.

God bless,

JOHN #US1#

OMG people can we please come back to reality here. It's just been officially announced we are getting the movie, and none of us know anything about the script, who's going to be in it or what the story is based on other then a few glibe remarks that probablly were made simply to throw people off, to begin with. You guys better buckle down cause god knows how many false scripts, rumors, ect ect are gonna leak before the movie ever comes out. Can we at least take the leasons learned from Transformers and not assume the worst untill we have something factual to base those beliefs on???? Who knows maybe we will actually end up with a good movie like we did with Transformers.

Okay...no more talking about the movie until it comes out!!!

@hmmm@

@loll@ yeah RIGHT!!

We READ...we REACT..we sometimes RESPOND! Nature of the beast folks...nature of the beast! Otherwise these forums are blank and dull.

#US1#

What I'm hearing and seeing about the movie plans for a G.I.Joe movie THUS FAR...rumor, lie, conspiracy of deception or otherwise, is that it SUCKS, based on those "rumors, lies, conspiracies of deception or otherwise" I've only read HERE.

OMG people can we please come back to reality here. It's just been officially announced we are getting the movie, and none of us know anything about the script, who's going to be in it or what the story is based on other then a few glibe remarks that probablly were made simply to throw people off, to begin with. You guys better buckle down cause god knows how many false scripts, rumors, ect ect are gonna leak before the movie ever comes out. Can we at least take the leasons learned from Transformers and not assume the worst untill we have something factual to base those beliefs on???? Who knows maybe we will actually end up with a good movie like we did with Transformers.

You had me... right up until that last line! ;) Transformers was a terrible movie.

Is this "Action Man" thing confirmed though?

Smart business or not the fact that it seems that american caters to everyone other than americans sucks.I'm an american and damn proud of it.why should we as americans"dummy down"where we are from and our beliefs just to make others happy.

Well, cuz if you don't you get movies like Pearl Harbour.

Okay...no more talking about the movie until it comes out!!!

@hmmm@

@loll@ yeah RIGHT!!

We READ...we REACT..we sometimes RESPOND! Nature of the beast folks...nature of the beast! Otherwise these forums are blank and dull.

#US1#

What I'm hearing and seeing about the movie plans for a G.I.Joe movie THUS FAR...rumor, lie, conspiracy of deception or otherwise, is that it SUCKS, based on those "rumors, lies, conspiracies of deception or otherwise" I've only read HERE.

i believe that.i will wait impatiently until more news,but why rush a movie only to come out as crap when you can wait and do it right.

#US1#

Well, cuz if you don't you get movies like Pearl Harbour.

I think Pearl Harbor sucked because of the idiotic attitudes in Hollywood right now. That and the fact that Ben Asscrack was in it. ^_^

This attitude in Hollywood (that crapped out a moment in history like the attack on Pearl Harbor) is the very attitude that will crap out our GOOD feelin' memories of the 80's, G.I.Joe and a brief sense of relief from the fears of the cold war with the Soviets. Something like G.I.Joe THRIVED under those circumstances, and will fail miserably under anything less...and LESS is about were at in history right now.

This is no time for pushing an American "good feeling" pro USA, FIGHT terrorism around the WORLD G.I.Joe live action movie on the world. I don't want them to CHANGE G.I.Joe to suit the times where in, I'd rather not have it at all and just keep my memories of the toys, cartoons and comic books as is.

Ok let's focus this topic a bit, the Transformers movie is bad, however it was a box office

success, which means there will be a sequel, which means more toys will be produced.

Now lets take the G I Joe movie, do we know yet if Hasbro is going to make movie action figures based on the 3 3/4 line or create some totally new scale just for the movie?

Or are they going to follow the Star Wars trend and mix the movie figures with the 25th line?

Because the years between episode I, II and III they've combined figures from all six movies, if that's the case then will get better figures as the years go, but also have to deal with figures from the film or films if the first movie is a box office success and I'm

talking money not whether the film was actually good or not.

Either way I feel this movie is going to impact the 25th line, how, I'm not sure, I'm hoping

you guys can give me some speculation how it will, from shelf space in the retail stores to pricing....anything give me something.

If gi joe toys are produced for a crappy movie then who wants them??? I mean...we'll get a duke figure that wont have the likeness of the duke we know, we'll get all characters based on the MOVIE, not gi joe. Its not like transformers where they are just robots...these are people. The most we can hope for is custom fodder.

-saboteur

I hail from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

And I've been a Joe fan since, like, forever (I'm 24).

I don't know about VH's rant about the whole "AMERICAN" thing. While I've always been pro-american (which should actually read "pro-USA", for America is a whole continent, not just one country), I think the ARAH concept always had an international flavour. Cobra itself is an international threat. The Joe team has members from all parts of the world. Hell, there's even an argentinian in the Sgt. Savage line (Dynamite).

So... I don't think it's a bad idea to treat G.I.Joe as an "international effort". What I DO agree with is that G.I.Joe is and should be grounded on the precepts of the so-called "american way". Fighting for freedom wherever there's trouble and all that stuff.

And, let's face it, as much as I love the U.S., it's not very popular these days.

In essence... I think G.I.Joe should be an international effort. U.N. haters, I understand you, but well...

Now, this isn't to say that the team should have one character from each continent. This doesn't need to be Captain Kirk's bridge!

But I don't see it as a bad thing if they go the "international" route. Because, in essence, what should remain intact is the american way of life and the american values.

Just my 2 cents.

I hail from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

And I've been a Joe fan since, like, forever (I'm 24).

I don't know about VH's rant about the whole "AMERICAN" thing. While I've always been pro-american (which should actually read "pro-USA", for America is a whole continent, not just one country), I think the ARAH concept always had an international flavour. Cobra itself is an international threat. The Joe team has members from all parts of the world. Hell, there's even an argentinian in the Sgt. Savage line (Dynamite).

That's what I mean. G.I.Joe has already embraced the International aspect of it's team members nationality and the comics have written in allies from all over the world to join them in the united fight against an evil terrorist organization. Why the thought that it needs changed or something, like ARAH has been an exclusive to Americans only club, is ridiculous.

Americans are already a mish mesh of nationalities, and it's because lots of people from everywhere else want to come here, be free here and live here as "American" citizens.

And, let's face it, as much as I love the U.S., it's not very popular these days.

Our President has been publicly beat down to a bloody pile of worthless , incompetent dog sh@# and our efforts to protect ourselves from REAL terrorist threats has gone on too long now, showing little success (although no other attacks have happened) and is now just more political garbage and being treated as another Korea or Vietnam and the original purpose of doing what we felt we had to, is long lost and now forgotten and it's just something ugly and nasty that's been turned into another fruitless excursion that will only get "better" if we "GET OUT NOW" and cut our losses. <_<

Our President and our Government are f@#ked in their heads right now, but that isn't what America stands for, and never has. G.I.Joe embodies what WE..the PEOPLE would like to think of our people and what we stand for, for all the world!

In essence... I think G.I.Joe should be an international effort. U.N. haters, I understand you, but well...

If America is bad..the UN is WORSE! @grumpy@ G.I.Joe is fantasy....it can function with something other than the UN.

But I don't see it as a bad thing if they go the "international" route. Because, in essence, what should remain intact is the american way of life and the american values.

Our values and way of life is what has us in the mess we're in...in the first place. :( We're maybe a little TOO free wheeling in our culture and that's somehow offended other countries that are less free in their religious choices and conduct than we are. The price of freedom continues to rise right along with inflation I guess? We've been trying to defend ourselves for so long against another attack on our people (not our Government, which AGAIN is where all the crap comes from) that people around the world have forgotten it was a defensive act, not an offensive act and were not trying to take over other countries for their religious beliefs we dislike or their wealth of oil supply. We merely wanted to take out the threat and give the "threats" resources a NEW perception of us for future reference, that would make them less gullible to the hype and BULL!

It took too long I guess?

I think Americans are expected to do some serious suffering, before we can ever regain any respect and good standing? :( I'm worried about how MUCH suffering and of what kind (of it) that we'll have to endure, before others around us feel like we've got what we deserved and will start to take pity on us? We'll have to be "brought down to size" I guess like anyone that's held a position of power for too long and others feel they've abused it.

It's infuriating that we can't have a G.I.Joe movie and not have all the anti-American BS get stirred up along with it. The movie's doomed to be garbage anyway because of the context or nature of it, yet these idiot directors think the "risky" endeavor into it, the possiblity of churning out some real CHEESE with it, is just the AMERICAN connection? :rolleyes: Wrongggggg!

Pros: Possibly a Fun Movie and Hopefully Great 3 3/4 Figures with Vehicles.

Cons: Possibly a Let down Film and with a new 5" scale Figures.

I have a feeling Its gonna be a fun movie to watch.

A con: What if they do a different scale for the movie figures, like with Spider Man 3 wasn't it different from Previous scales? (or basically what ObiPrime said...sorry I'll learn to read all the posts before I respond)

Con: A Third/Fourth Continuity...I don't see how they can make this Jibe with Marvel or Toon or even the current stuff/crap Devil's Due writes.

Pros: Movies and Hasbro means vehicles and Playsets in the Movie year.