GI Joe Question & "Answer" round 3

yojoebro82

Hasbro: Our first goal with the 2007 25th Anniversary line was to bring the most important GI Joe and Cobra characters out into the market. Now that we have accomplished that, we can start looking at gearing them up

I'm hoping this means, they will bring in v1 serpentor on air chariot and v1 zartan on swamp skier #Granade# . Also I will definetly picking up the dd serp and zartan in hopes that they will do more dd characters like storm shadow and wraith.

I was reading the q & a's and noticed they said they rushed out the first wave of single packs, so since they realized that they should have put gloves on flint, should they offer replacement gloved hands, or totally do a corrected flint? and would you buy it?

I was reading the q & a's and noticed they said they rushed out the first wave of single packs, so since they realized that they should have put gloves on flint, should they offer replacement gloved hands, or totally do a corrected flint? and would you buy it?

As long as they don't crap him out with a new color pattern to justify it, like making him a Tiger Force version, with all the improvements on THAT one and still leave the V1 of him rendered inferior by comparison.

Just do his classic version all over again, this time with gloves, short sleeves, better hands, and the corrected hip/waist issue. I'll buy! :)

Good to hear they are working on the hips and hands!

Ok, I ony have 2 figures (Flint and CC) so I have to ask, what are the hip issues? I don`t really see much problem with the hands as they seem about the same as a VvV figure but like I said I only have 2 of them and don`t spend alot of time with them (don`t really care for either at this point).

I don't have any problem with the hips either. just the hands and the limited range of motion in the elbows. The legs look and work great. I'm really pumped for these classic looking, updated figures. The detailing is great, the design is great. All the paint aps I've seen are great, too. I love this new line and I hope it goes strong for a while.

The hands on the 25th figures have numerous problems. Some are just FISTS and I hate that sh@#. Some are so tiny and flimsy that they're worthless and some are funky molded and formed in weird ways because they're trying to pre-form them to hold a weapon, just perfectly in ONE particular, designers choice, of a position. They need to just give them all a nice standard, good SOLID pair of hands, in a basic grip design.

The "hips" issue, is more about the crotch design I think, that limits the upward leg movement because the center crotch piece is too wide? That...or just the dainty size of the hips and how unproportioned it looks on the figures, making them look like stretched out 6'5" giants with 28" waist measurements, all so we can have removable belts and harnesses, they scale down the core design of the figure without them. <_<

The hands on the 25th figures have numerous problems. Some are just FISTS and I hate that sh@#. Some are so tiny and flimsy that they're worthless and some are funky molded and formed in weird ways because they're trying to pre-form them to hold a weapon, just perfectly in ONE particular, designers choice, of a position. They need to just give them all a nice standard, good SOLID pair of hands, in a basic grip design.

The "hips" issue, is more about the crotch design I think, that limits the upward leg movement because the center crotch piece is too wide? That...or just the dainty size of the hips and how unproportioned it looks on the figures, making them look like stretched out 6'5" giants with 28" waist measurements, all so we can have removable belts and harnesses, they scale down the core design of the figure without them. <_>

I think they may add some swivel movement to the hips.

...and what's up with not giving desro the same "vac-metal" head as the Gold/Silver pimp daddy destro... causing us to go into a "feeding frenzy" and having to pay top dollar on EBAY just so we could perform an expensive head-swap!!! Has anyone addressed this with HASBRO yet? They owe us an explanation and apology for that mess-up!

...I also love how Hasbro thinks they've re-introduced the MOST POPULAR 25 characters in the joe unverse!! Who did they even contact to get that ULTIMATE WANT LIST?!? Sure wasn't any of us...come on... red satan?!? Please... I've never even been to Argentina... and enough with making snake eyes and storm shadow figures in every version ever made... leave that til later on down the road...sick of them already!

...no more repaints until we've at least seen the first 25 you were supposed to re-introduce with ALL-NEW sculpts! No more cobra commanders offered in 15 different flavors or cobra soldier/officers wrong colored cobra symbols.... enough already...do it RIGHT the first time...you ONLY had 25 years to get it correct!

...and no more cheap-azz plastic... the RAH was made of better stuff!

...oh and more thing...as a fellow designer (Creative Director) myself...has anyone heard of a "hi-quality drum scanner" in order to capture the original card back art instead of re-illustrating most of these? Whomever is doing these illusatrations again isn't giving it his all....take a look at ROADBLOCK's art in the JOE-5pack... his eyes are messed up (pretty funny) if you compare to the original...among others of course!

I'm done with my "RANT" for now... @hmmm@

I can't believe no one is talking about the mail-away figure. Did this already get talked about in another thread?

We haven't even seen the first 25 released to the masses yet... a mail away figure is the furthest thing from my mind... they need to get their act straight as to who are the most popular ever is before they could introduce a mail-away! They should have saved "Red Satan" or Black CC for that.... @hmmm@

Well, the term 'popular' is subject to opinion. Some people would love to see the first 13 redone, while I'm not a big fan of them at all. Trying to give us 25 of the most popular is a big joke. It will be based on what some Hasbro exec thinks will be the 25 best sellers. This is why we're seeing repaints, and V2's already. They'll probably come close and get about 12-15 figures that the majority will agree are the most popular characters, but in the long run, no matter what Hasbro says to the contrary, these figures are out to make money for the company, not appease a niche audiance of collectors. So, we're going to continue to get vague answers to our 'hot' questions because Hasbro is going to look at their numbers given to them from their own research department before they make any decisions to change the direction of this line. If we all gripe and complain about how Flint sucks because he's Duke with a different head, but the research team says Flint's flying off the shelves, do you really think they're going to make a change? Hasbro is a company trying to make money. Once us collectors come to terms with the fact that our opinion is considered very minor in the grand scheme of things, the better off we'll be. Sure, get angry that Hasbro's not listening to us. We're all still entitled to an opinion about the product being put before us. A product that claims to be aimed directly at us. But bottom line is the only thing that makes Hasbro change direction is money. If you don't like something, show it with your dollars. Don't buy something, and then gripe about Hasbro needing to fix it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That will do more to show Hasbro what's messed up than anything else. If all their product sold, and Flint stayed on the shelf, don't you think that the company would start to take notice? Retailers would complain, and then Hasbro would listen. As collectors, we have a very tiny voice in the grand scheme of business. Yeah, it sucks. But what can you do really?

Well, the term 'popular' is subject to opinion. Some people would love to see the first 13 redone, while I'm not a big fan of them at all. Trying to give us 25 of the most popular is a big joke. It will be based on what some Hasbro exec thinks will be the 25 best sellers. This is why we're seeing repaints, and V2's already. They'll probably come close and get about 12-15 figures that the majority will agree are the most popular characters, but in the long run, no matter what Hasbro says to the contrary, these figures are out to make money for the company, not appease a niche audiance of collectors. So, we're going to continue to get vague answers to our 'hot' questions because Hasbro is going to look at their numbers given to them from their own research department before they make any decisions to change the direction of this line. If we all gripe and complain about how Flint sucks because he's Duke with a different head, but the research team says Flint's flying off the shelves, do you really think they're going to make a change? Hasbro is a company trying to make money. Once us collectors come to terms with the fact that our opinion is considered very minor in the grand scheme of things, the better off we'll be. Sure, get angry that Hasbro's not listening to us. We're all still entitled to an opinion about the product being put before us. A product that claims to be aimed directly at us. But bottom line is the only thing that makes Hasbro change direction is money. If you don't like something, show it with your dollars. Don't buy something, and then gripe about Hasbro needing to fix it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That will do more to show Hasbro what's messed up than anything else. If all their product sold, and Flint stayed on the shelf, don't you think that the company would start to take notice? Retailers would complain, and then Hasbro would listen. As collectors, we have a very tiny voice in the grand scheme of business. Yeah, it sucks. But what can you do really?

I agree with you... my rant was based on these question & answers sessions we have and the "vague" answers Hasbro gives... Makes no sense if Hasbro is going to do whatever they feel is correct anyway?!? Why waste our time?

Hasbro: So, we've given you guys new sculpts of fan favorites based on their original appearance. How are they?

Joe Collector: want moar!!11one

Hasbro: I'm sorry, what? Do you mean more?

Joe Collector: MOAR!!111eleven

Hasbro: We don't understand, more of what?

Joe Collector: moar toiez@@@

Hasbro: Look, sir, I'm having trouble understanding what it is you want. More selection? More repaints? More accessories? You're being vague.

Joe Collector: f***ing Has-BLOW!!111 CLUTCH! COBRA DEL ACO!!112

Hasbro: Ok, that's enough. What you're telling me is that we can't possibly please such a fickle and demanding group of collectors, so why even bother.

Joe Collector: TINYFISTS!!!111playset

If we all gripe and complain about how Flint sucks because he's Duke with a different head, but the research team says Flint's flying off the shelves, do you really think they're going to make a change? Hasbro is a company trying to make money. Once us collectors come to terms with the fact that our opinion is considered very minor in the grand scheme of things, the better off we'll be. Sure, get angry that Hasbro's not listening to us. We're all still entitled to an opinion about the product being put before us. A product that claims to be aimed directly at us. But bottom line is the only thing that makes Hasbro change direction is money. If you don't like something, show it with your dollars. Don't buy something, and then gripe about Hasbro needing to fix it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That will do more to show Hasbro what's messed up than anything else. If all their product sold, and Flint stayed on the shelf, don't you think that the company would start to take notice? Retailers would complain, and then Hasbro would listen. As collectors, we have a very tiny voice in the grand scheme of business. Yeah, it sucks. But what can you do really?

Well, if the product doesn't sell, they stop making it.......period.

They will not bother making a corrected version, if in their mind, the first version didn't sell either--so why should a second version?

If Flint is to be "corrected", he probably needs to sell well enough to warrant continued figures of all kinds and a corrected version worked in simply to grab those already dedicated consumers.

Otherwise, a corporation like Hasbro very likely thinks that diverting creative and financial resources to other, more likely, successful kinds of toys is a smarter move. This is why toys like GIJOE see "change" and re-thinking all the time.

Yea, we speak with our dollars, but NOT buying something cuts off the channel. Constant support at least keeps the channel open.

The unfortunate side-effect of all this is that back-tracking to repro items has never been shown to have any great legs in terms of revival. Repro items always tend to be flash-in-the-pan and have never been shown to last. The 12" scales have been very indicative of this.

Since the 3 3/4' scales "returned" in 2000-ish, they've never gone more than 2 years without a re-think in terms of the product itself.

The original molds sparked the spate of product since, but all the truly repro stuff never did all that well. The larger items like the MCC went to discount, and Real American Collection ( iirc) became pegwarmers.

After that, each successive re-think performed much the same--nothing has really moved all that well, and lasted only about 2 years before quietly fading away.

This, of course, coming after claims of fantastic test markets and "best responses ever from retailers.

GIJOE, as a brand, has been suckered ( or suckering) like this for the past 15 years it seems.

The only bright spots in the past 15 have been the 12" Classic Collection which lasted about 5 years or so, and was fueled in part by a simultaneous resurgence in 1/6th scale Military toys.

The previous successes; the 12" original Joes and Adventure Team lasted about 10 years, as did the 3 3/4" scale.

I do not think these new figures will last all that long myself.

Hasbro: So, we've given you guys new sculpts of fan favorites based on their original appearance. How are they?

Joe Collector: want moar!!11one

Hasbro: I'm sorry, what? Do you mean more?

Joe Collector: MOAR!!111eleven

Hasbro: We don't understand, more of what?

Joe Collector: moar toiez@@@

Hasbro: Look, sir, I'm having trouble understanding what it is you want. More selection? More repaints? More accessories? You're being vague.

Joe Collector: f***ing Has-BLOW!!111 CLUTCH! COBRA DEL ACO!!112

Hasbro: Ok, that's enough. What you're telling me is that we can't possibly please such a fickle and demanding group of collectors, so why even bother.

Joe Collector: TINYFISTS!!!111playset

Good call...3 3/4 Joes could still be on hiatus. Hasbro has given us DTC and now the 25th anniversary series and we still keep telling them to go F-themselves. I am happy theres a chance I can find this stuff in stores. I'm happy I can choose to buy it or not buy because before the choice was made for me...they weren't going to make it.

I agree with you... my rant was based on these question & answers sessions we have and the "vague" answers Hasbro gives... Makes no sense if Hasbro is going to do whatever they feel is correct anyway?!? Why waste our time?

Yeah, I feel you. My rant was more for myself than anything else. A way for me to come to terms with things. Keep me from getting so pissed off over this stuff, and basically just take it for what it is. A toy line that I will always love, and will find some part of it that I enjoy collecting for whatever reason.

...and what's up with not giving desro the same "vac-metal" head as the Gold/Silver pimp daddy destro... causing us to go into a "feeding frenzy" and having to pay top dollar on EBAY just so we could perform an expensive head-swap!!! Has anyone addressed this with HASBRO yet? They owe us an explanation and apology for that mess-up!

That might have more to do with the Collector Club knowing what would look better or how to do Destro's noggin, than Hasbro? Isn't the PDD con figure a collector's club creation...color scheme wise? Hasbro is just totally out of touch with their own product. The people that made them yesterday, aren't even the same people that are making them today, and they've probably stepped into their NEW position (fresh out of college) they have at Hasbro, as green and as unexperienced and as unknowledgeable as they could possibly be...about G.I.Joe ARAH? <_<

It's like where I use to work. They use to have "management trainee's" on board. learning the ropes and all the operations behind the company and how it functioned from cradle to grave, and by the time they were eligible for a promotion to some management position, they were well trained and in-the-know with company procedures and policies than just having taken a management course in college. That changed, and people that once sold cell phone services or sold homes in big housing developments were now being hired to managed a group of guys who delivered UNIFORMS and handle customer concerns!! :huh: Talk about one big mongolian clusterf@#k of an operation, hence the fact I "use to" work there. ;)

...I also love how Hasbro thinks they've re-introduced the MOST POPULAR 25 characters in the joe unverse!! Who did they even contact to get that ULTIMATE WANT LIST?!? Sure wasn't any of us...come on... red satan?!? Please... I've never even been to Argentina... and enough with making snake eyes and storm shadow figures in every version ever made... leave that til later on down the road...sick of them already!

Amen to that! I'm so burnt out on the SS variations and stupid looks for him, I don't even like the figure anymore. I'm barely able to hang onto being a fan of SE still, but his commando appearance still looks pretty good even though they've crapped out the whole ninja BS with him.

...no more repaints until we've at least seen the first 25 you were supposed to re-introduce with ALL-NEW sculpts! No more cobra commanders offered in 15 different flavors or cobra soldier/officers wrong colored cobra symbols.... enough already...do it RIGHT the first time...you ONLY had 25 years to get it correct!

...oh and more thing...as a fellow designer (Creative Director) myself...has anyone heard of a "hi-quality drum scanner" in order to capture the original card back art instead of re-illustrating most of these? Whomever is doing these illusatrations again isn't giving it his all....take a look at ROADBLOCK's art in the JOE-5pack... his eyes are messed up (pretty funny) if you compare to the original...among others of course!

GIVE'EM HELL lance!!!! :D

Amen to all thee above!

They might as well just blurt out "NO COMMENT" before we even get to finish our 1st sentence and then slam the door on us as they storm out screaming GOOD DAY SIR........I SAID GOOD DAY!!

That might have more to do with the Collector Club knowing what would look better or how to do Destro's noggin, than Hasbro? Isn't the PDD con figure a collector's club creation...color scheme wise? Hasbro is just totally out of touch with their own product. The people that made them yesterday, aren't even the same people that are making them today, and they've probably stepped into their NEW position (fresh out of college) they have at Hasbro, as green and as unexperienced and as unknowledgeable as they could possibly be...about G.I.Joe ARAH? <_<

It's like where I use to work. They use to have "management trainee's" on board. learning the ropes and all the operations behind the company and how it functioned from cradle to grave, and by the time they were eligible for a promotion to some management position, they were well trained and in-the-know with company procedures and policies than just having taken a management course in college. That changed, and people that once sold cell phone services or sold homes in big housing developments were now being hired to managed a group of guys who delivered UNIFORMS and handle customer concerns!! :huh: Talk about one big mongolian clusterf@#k of an operation, hence the fact I "use to" work there. ;)

Amen to that! I'm so burnt out on the SS variations and stupid looks for him, I don't even like the figure anymore. I'm barely able to hang onto being a fan of SE still, but his commando appearance still looks pretty good even though they've crapped out the whole ninja BS with him.

GIVE'EM HELL lance!!!! :D

Amen to all thee above!

...Just gotta tell it like it is! @grumpy@

Uh I thought the Satan figure was actually a Red Ninja. I know I will army build him. After seeing them in the 1st silent issue I knew I wanted to see a 5 or 6 pack of them. Now I can get them. I think that was a smart move on Hasbro's part. Now Dragon Storm Shadow and the black clad CC....I don't even know why they thought those were part of the most popular group. Hell even the jet pack trooper. I don't even remember seeing that in the comic or cartoon. Do any of you remember seeing the black clad commander and jet pack trooper? Plus how does the jet pack trooper and gas mask trooper have the same mask?

Uh I thought the Satan figure was actually a Red Ninja. I know I will army build him. After seeing them in the 1st silent issue I knew I wanted to see a 5 or 6 pack of them. Now I can get them. I think that was a smart move on Hasbro's part. Now Dragon Storm Shadow and the black clad CC....I don't even know why they thought those were part of the most popular group. Hell even the jet pack trooper. I don't even remember seeing that in the comic or cartoon. Do any of you remember seeing the black clad commander and jet pack trooper? Plus how does the jet pack trooper and gas mask trooper have the same mask?

If I remember what Hasbro said about this set, it was basically just to get more product out to the masses after such a great initial reaction to the product. That is why they are ALL repaints. I don't think these are meant to be counted towards the 25.

These new figures are so much better than Spy Troopers and VvV. The detailing is really cool. I'm looking forward to getting a Clutch and some vehicles that are going to be in line with higher level of quality.