25th Firefly's Card Art Not Original?

DarthJoe

I was browsing the pics from the SDCC coverage, when Firefly's card art caught my eye. For some reason, it just didn't look right to me, so I went to yojoe.com for comparison:

firefly.jpg

firefly2.jpg

It's close, but obviously not the original. The original must've been lost at some point over the last 20 years.

Has anyone noticed any other art that was redone for the 25th line other than figures like Zartan and Serpentor, which had to be redone to fit the single pack card art?

Actually, pretty much all of the classic art has been redone for the 25th anniversary stuff. Little stuff like the knife in Baroness' hand, Flint's holding his new shotgun, different things like that.

I don't think any of the 25th art is reproduced original art, it's all be redone and some of it has been modified in some way.

Justin

Here is basically what I noticed for the carded figure from the first series:

Cobra Officer – the 25th version’s art now has more detailed webbing, and knee pads. The coloring on the Cobra sigil is red now. There are other subtle changes in coloring or detailing to suggest this is a new piece of art, or an elaborate redo with Photoshop. Yet, Hasbro did not change the rifle.

Flint – they changed the shotgun to resemble the toy version, and removed one of the pockets on the pants. Yet, they kept the gloves in the picture.

Snake-Eyes – They removed the backpack and changed the sword. They changed the belt, added the boots, changed the straps on his both legs and removed the dart launcher from his right arm. Also, the finger on his left hand is now pointed more upward.

Stormshadow – They replaced the compound with one matching the toy. They changed the sleeve on his right arm. Hasbro also changed his tunic and sash to more closely resemble the toy, but they left his shin armor the same in the picture.

Cobra Commander – It looks like his pants have been altered from the knee down and the hood is all new. Also his left hand has been lower, his gloves changed and the Cobra sigil on his hood improved. In fact the hood is all new. The gun arm looks all new as well. But I am basing this off his filecard picture and speculation while examining the artwork for the 1983 Battle Helmet Cobra Commander.

Yes all of the art on the single carded 25th figures has been changed.

That figure really can't come out soon enough!!!

My thoughts exactly!

WOW!

Thanks for the comparison pics DJ... I hope I can find two of FF one to keep moc and the other to throw around!!!!!

All I see that is different is the tool case is closed on the 25th, which makes more sense really. Who is running around with his tool case open?

Firefly's whole pack has been changed (its contents and layout) and for some reason, the position of his arm carrying the submachine gun has been altered so the stock is in a different position. It looks like some grenade or other apparatus on his chest is visible on the new card.

Buzzer's new card is very different. His glasses and eyebrows look slightly different. His shirt doesn't show as much of his chest. The chainsaw obviously changed. He no longer has leather pads on his jeans and he has an elbow brace on his right arm and a glove on his left as opposed to the old bracelet. He also has some strap or brace on his left shoulder now. All of the silver insignia on his shirt has been removed also.

Lady Jaye's artwork has been slightly altered. Ironically, the artwork zippered up her jumpsuit to show less cleavage when the figure itself is bustier and shows more cleavage than even the original art. Also, she now has a holster or her right hip as opposed to a pouch. Her right arm moved outward but her camera gear is still visible and it appeared from Comic-con photos that the figure lacks the camera.

Beachhead's art changed as follows. The vest is different reflecting the figure's update. The arms on the new art show the striped pattern of the green sweater and the gloves are more detailed. The left leg shows grenades or some canister instead of the holster. On the right leg, you can see a holster instead of the pouch and grenade on the old card. The rifle is different. On the new art, you cannot see the backpack. Yet, the red Ranger's beret, so visible on the original figure yet not on the original art is clearly visible on the new figure and new artwork. I am slightly disappointed with the new vest as I liked the ammo or charges on the old art and figure.

Zartan's and Serpentor's artwork is, of course, all new. I won't speak about the Red Ninja as I am unfamiliar with Satan's artwork.

Shipwreck's artwork looks completely unchanged. I like the new figure, but I wish there was a variation where his bangs weren't visible from the front of his cap. I wish his hair more resembled the picture. Although, this figure looks a lot like Rod Whigham's Shipwreck from issue 40 of the Marvel book.