Worst Yellowing, Ever

toonces

a few months ago i came across all of the o-ring CORPS! figs from 2001 at ace hardware. they were all in perfect condition and i thought they were kind of cool since i had never seen the o-ring versions before. anyway, i have kept them under my bed in complete darkness in a plastic bag until today, when i happened to pull them out. all of the white ones were completely yellow, like they'd been laying in the desert for 5 years. wtf? anyone else ever have this happen with CORPS! figs so fast? is there some other factor besides light that i'm unaware of?

i've heard that plastic bags can do that.......what kind of baggies were they in??? I hope this isnt the case because i have ALLL my vintage figs in ziplock 3x5 baggies.

-saboteur

i don't know... but it's the same kind that all the rest of my gi joes and transformers are in...:unsure:

i haven't noticed any problems with them, but i would like to know if there is a potential problem with certain kinds of bags, just to be sure.

pic's please!

TM

my camera isn't the greatest and it would be a hastle anyway. you've all seen yellowed figures, right? i just want to know how it happened and if anyone else has had this problem. but if you want more info, and are familiar with corps figs, the worst ones are avalanche and dragon han, both of which are (were) mostly white. also they are not patchy, but each white piece has uniformly yellowed. and, there are a few white pieces on the figures that have not yellowed at all, even though they touch the yellowed ones.

was it really hot under your bed????? what kind of baggies were they in??? sealed bags or sandwich ones that you roll?

-saboteur

they were in ziplock type bags that you kind of snap together from one edge and slide your finger across to the other side and have a white strip across the front to write a label on. is there a certain type or brand of bag that has been "ok'd" for storing figures safely?

and yes, they were under my bed in a plastic tub. also my bed has a skirt as well, so there is no way this yellowing is from sunlight.

heat'll do it though. Its probably just that type of baggie dude. sucks but now you know not to keep other figs in those.

-saboteur

it doesn't get any hotter than room temp under my bed. and like i said before, all my other figures are in these baggies and there's no problem with them, just he corps figs. are corps figs more prone to yellowing?

is there a certain type or brand of bag that has been "ok'd" for storing figures safely?

Don't know, but what I can warn people is to avoid the figure baggies Brian's Toys sells. They're cheap POS's that deteriorate in as little as a couple of months, forming holes big enough for accessories and even the figures to fall out of

My baggies are fine....my white v1 storm shadows are looking just the way they should. I guess it is just the corps figures. But the baggies definitely had something to do with it i have corps figures that i've stored for years with no yellowing. So even if they are of inferior plastic, there is still some chemical reaction going on that could cause figures of other better plastic to deteriorate slightly.

-saboteur

My baggies are fine....my white v1 storm shadows are looking just the way they should. I guess it is just the corps figures. But the baggies definitely had something to do with it i have corps figures that i've stored for years with no yellowing. So even if they are of inferior plastic, there is still some chemical reaction going on that could cause figures of other better plastic to deteriorate slightly.

-saboteur

do you use the actual ziplock brand?

No... I REALLY hope they pass the test of time cause i have my ENTIRE collection in those baggies. 3000+ joes....I had some custom cast white parts in the baggies and they have started to VERY faintly yellow. Like you say, its probably just plastic quality, but if there is any yellowing at all it makes me nervous.

I wish there was a way to definitively test if the bags hurt the figures

-saboteur