seeking comments on artwork

grauritter

Here is another on I started as a practice piece. I need to get the technique down of completing the shading corretly before adding color. So I started this one as a way to do that.

Penciled....

http://www.rogue-artist.com/cobra/art/HISS...ncil_prelim.jpg

Then half way through putting in the shading....

http://www.rogue-artist.com/cobra/art/HISS...s_scene_ink.jpg

After its all shaded I will put in the color. After this practice piece is done, I feel I can move forward on a couple of private commissions Ive taken and not botch them :)

-Jason

Here is another on I started as a practice piece. I need to get the technique down of completing the shading corretly before adding color. So I started this one as a way to do that.

Penciled....

http://www.rogue-artist.com/cobra/art/HISS...ncil_prelim.jpg

Then half way through putting in the shading....

http://www.rogue-artist.com/cobra/art/HISS...s_scene_ink.jpg

After its all shaded I will put in the color. After this practice piece is done, I feel I can move forward on a couple of private commissions Ive taken and not botch them :)

-Jason

Sweet.

Keep us posted, man.

LOL I've tried putting art up on e-bay before. But there is so much junk on e-bay they never even get looked at.

Im always willing to do sales and trades and even commissions for new stuff! :) Just toss me an e-mail from my website: www.Rogue-Artist.com or PM me here.

-Jason

Ok, when do these go up for trade/sale or go on ebay???

Good stuff man.

Shite YES!

Love your realistic, "worn out" (?) style. I really dig the "40 yrs old" Cobra trooper! :P His "stance" and gesture say loads of things about the dude. One thing though: where's his sigil? I'm sure you didn't include it on purpose, but I'm here wondering how it'd look with a Cobra sigil somewhere. Doesn't even need to be the chest. Maybe on the arm or helmet?

At first, I didn't get the last one. That's supposed to be a mirror, right? Maybe you shoulda included Flint's foot kicking the door! Heh. Still a great one.

And we're all looking forward to the HISS one. Oh yep. Looking amazing so far.

You got me so motivated with your topic that I went back to and old and unfinished Gijoe-themed drawing myself. I guess I'm another one of them "artistes" in the forum. I'll be posting the "thing" on a thread of its own in a couple mins (I wouldn't want to invade yours!)...

Keep up the excellent work!

- JL

Ack! It DOES look like a mirror! LOL But that kinda works too :)

Originally, it ws going to be in color, but I live in the Mid-west and my supplier got flooded out and I dont have the right color supplies :(

For that 1st HISS one, Im using water-color colored pencils on sketch paper (which means its almost impossible to actually wet the pigments properly) and is a pain the bum!! Not to mention they are from when I was ni college, some 10 years ago! lol Ive got three other illustrations on hold until I get my supplies in (whenever that will be).

I do have a couple other tricks up my sleeve and I hope to have another ilustration up in a week or so, in color hopefully. As I am pulling out all my "reserve" supplies in an effor to keep up on the work. *sigh*

-Jason

It IS definitely a mirror. I just didn't realize from the get-go. I said to myself: "is that a window?", but it was too "plain". Finally, I understood :D

This sort of thing often happens: we draw knowing the "story" behind, but the observers, ignoring our intentions, may see something else (and sometimes, they see things even WE hadn't thought of).

Here's a link to that piece I was talking about earlier on: http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showtopic=2043145

Happy day! Some of my long overdue supplies arrived today, so I sharpened myself up by working on a section of one of many pieces waiting to be completed.

crimson_guard_test01.jpg

The full piece is 7" X 14" or some such. I've begun colorization using ink. All of it: ink. If anyone has worked with ink, you know it to be the bane of your existence, yet you just can't stop until you've mastered it! LOL

All the old comic books were done in ink and you never saw shading. Because you have to be Faster than the dry-time of ink to get your blending in, you have to put it on in multiple layers and once it's on, it AINT COMING OFF. LOL If you're one of those anal-retentive artists like myself, and one little imperfection will ruin hundreds of hours on a large piece, ink is the bane of your existence!

I've been at it with these inks since one of my college teachers got me hooked on trying to unravel the mysteries of working with it. I graduated in 2001. So you can imagine the countless hours and hundreds of ruined projects started with ink and the absolute nightmare I've been putting myself through. However, I think it time well spent in the end!

Still, I've tried all the mediums and for absolutely pure, blazing color with an even coating (assuming you can perfect the craft and GET an even coating) nothing beats ink.

Blah, Ill stop my seminar-like rant Anyway, I'm happy with it so far and I hope my luck with it lasts the whole illustration! It'll be a good one when it's done!!

-Jason

• 1 year later...

Has it really been a year? whew!

Unfortunately, I never found the time to expand upon that piece :( But I have been doing some interesting stuff for a couple of cool companies lately. I will have those pieces on my site in about month.

In the meantime, I have uploaded some other projects...

www.Rogue-Artist.com

take a look!

Thanks Gojira. Is that MOTU painting in your signature line an actual piece or a photoshop combination?

Great work! I'm an artist myself but I don't want to post anything untill I'm better at inking my stuff. You're an inspiration!