seeking comments on artwork

grauritter

i think they look great

I think the Cobra Soldier looks realistic. The eyes kinda throw me (it almost looks like a zombie), but otherwise I think it looks a lot like a real person would if that person were wearing a Cobra uniform.

The Snake Eyes is good, too. I don't like the sword, though it gives him a knight in not-so-shining armor look, and in some ways I suppose Snake Eyes could be considered a knight.

went to your website.....very talented by the way.....i like the the thumbnail of your snake-eyes better than the complete drawing. the way you have it framed, it is just a head shot and not even a full one. you are very talented.....what would you charge for a series of original artwork....like 6 to 8 prints?

The over all design of the Cobra Trooper is great and the details ar every precise. His eyes throw me off though, they seem zombie-ish and he looks old, he musta been one of the original 82 blue shirts @smilepunch@

The knight in shining armor look is an interesting way to go with SE but the design is very nice

These look like altered photo-swipes, but that is not a bad thing.

Your figure drawing looks fine and your rendering skills on top of those is good too. Where my eye catches things is in the hardware, notably on the COBRA soldier.

Figure drawing is the cornerstone gauge of sound artistic ability--you've got that, or at least have decent life-drawing skills by the looks of it--but that is just the start of it.

Decent figure artists are, by and large, quite common as artists go--what separates artists worth taking second looks at is the stuff that goes beyond a figure.

In this case it could be stuff like the weaponry.

The M-16 the soldier is carrying could use a bit more "accuracy" to match the look of the figure. Its rendered well, and the basic shapes are there, but adding that extra 5% in terms of details and specific attributes can really punch up an image like this.

The measure is in the details, after all.

The more authentic stuff likes weapons are, the better "sell" an image has with a viewer--because it makes the overall subject matter more convincing.

Snake-eyes sword kind of betrays the image to my eyes. He looks like a swipe from a knight, or if the knight motif was sought, it makes him look like same. That might be your aim, it might not.

Doesn't quite fit with what is known about the character, but who am I say your interpretation is invalid.

Again the little details help the legitimacy of the piece.

I'd like to see more of your work to draw (pun intended) a better gauge of your abilities, and how sound your structural drawing is. As these do look like swipes ( to a degree), I'd love to see something purely from imagination--perhaps an action pose.

Not knowing your intended goals with your art skills, I'd say you are well on your way to being on the right track.

Very nice artwork and welcome to TNI, grauritter! I like your Snake-Eyes the best.

Both look nice, but I agree with Pun-101 - the trooper's eyes give him a bit of the :living Dead feel. The Snake Eyes is very nice looking and an odd, but different approach to the Commando Ninja. If he can be a Samurai, why not a Knight o' the round?

I've got to say that these are great looking. The shading seems very realistic, perhaps a bit exaggerated but no harm in that. I agree with Arrows comment on the M-16. That's not to say that the rifle isn't one of the better I've seen posted on a fan site as far as a drawing goes, but its not as great as the rest of your work. I also think the soldier lacks a little bit in terms of contrast, and being really nit-picky, I think the torso may be just a shade short (leading to the out of shape look someone previously mentioned).

I say all of this with the disclaimer that I could not do better, life drawing is the bane of my existence as an Architecture student, but these are the same types of things that have come up in the criticisms of my own work at school.

Again, super job!

Here is one I started to give me some great practice on coloring techniques. It is on pause so that I can get a few custom jobs done for a nice gentleman. Some folks find it interesting to see concept to finish, so Ill post more as I get the time to fill it in more....

The preliminary pencils with some small amount of finalized color added....

HISSscenepencils_web.jpg

I am trying to give it a real sense of reality. so I have decided to have the HISS armed with twin pintle-mounted 50.cal's. The Trouble bubble's main armament already looks like the MG-2 (minus barrel cover) so I don't see a need to change that.

The troopers will all have soviet block weapons. I started finalizing the new AK-47 tactical version for the dude on the far right. My pride of this piece is my long hours trying to get a COBRA trooper helmet that both emulated the Cartoon and original toy look, while being made to a realistic point. Ive modeled it on paper at as many various angles as I could conceive and the beauty is that each angle should line up to each other (unlike the cartoon helmets that never would have worked if created in 3D)

The preliminary pencils are not done, I make stuff up as I go. So I get bare-bones in there to place figures; but as I add the detail, I just start finishing it too.

-Jason

Jason,

It's awesome to see your work here. I'm glad you were able to check out the site and share some of your stuff. I got your post-Origins email just before I hit the road for Gen Con, so I didn't have time to reply. I'm home now, and will write back soon, but when I saw your post here, I wanted to add my vote of support for your work. The two figure pieces are cool (especially your imaginative take on ol' Snakes), but the battle scene with the HISS looks spectacular. Did you have it at Origins or is it new?. Either way, I can't wait to see more!

Just like I said at the show, you got skills man :)

All the best,

Charles

Charles! Alright :)

Its all you bro. This is just me, following your suggestion all the way. You're the man, I can't thank you enough for all of your help!

If you will be at Con on the Cobb, I hope to catch up with you!

-Jason

Jason,

It's awesome to see your work here. I'm glad you were able to check out the site and share some of your stuff. I got your post-Origins email just before I hit the road for Gen Con, so I didn't have time to reply. I'm home now, and will write back soon, but when I saw your post here, I wanted to add my vote of support for your work. The two figure pieces are cool (especially your imaginative take on ol' Snakes), but the battle scene with the HISS looks spectacular. Did you have it at Origins or is it new?. Either way, I can't wait to see more!

Just like I said at the show, you got skills man :)

All the best,

Charles

Thanks Capn & Jogen for your kind words :) I am excited to get it finished, but it won't be for at least another week before I can work on it in even the slightest bit. lol That's OK though, because I am enjoying the other stuff I am working on too!

-Jason

The technique is really good and you obviously have talent.

The issue with the cobra soldier that everyone is referring to I think really comes down to the pose. I pose is realistic but not dramatic and the camera angle doesn’t help. These characters are bigger then life (like super heroes) so when they're in a very realistic nondramatic pose you lose that effect.

I like your stuff.

You Cobra Trooper looks like there is a real person under that outfit, not a muscular superhero. Not every terrorist is a ripped-out body builer. If anything I'd like to see bolder colors in that pic.

Nice bit of re-imagining on the Snake Eyes with the cape and armor. He still looks like a real person.

Have you seen Jae Lee's art in the Transformers/GI Joe comic? I like it a lot and it kinda reminds me of your stuff.

That HISS pic...can't wait to see it finished.