DC Direct vs Mattel

Scott

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, the DCD Grod was made aroud 5 or 6 years ago. Of course the Mattel one is better. But theres no question that the DCD McG Aquaman is better. That figure is phenomenal, the way the scales are sculpted on his suit, every second one painted with a metalic finish, the nice vibrant colors and paint quality as well as the great likeness to the artwork. The thing is when the Aquaman from Mattel actually comes out it will look NOWHERE near as good as that prototype unfortunately. Cheap, glossy looking paint will totally kill the overall effect as well as wash out the nice detailing in the sculpt.

DCD is and always will be far superior to Mattel in every way, but Mattel can out out a decent figure from time to time, only problem is that I have to end up ordering it from ebay because those things are nowhere in sight and then using a dullcoat finish to make it look less cheap.

Sculpts are usually good on both ends (DCD and Mattel) I the odd instance, ie. Steel, the Mattel figure tops the DCD version. But this is usually not the case. You generally get what you pay for, DCDs are 6 bucks more but they are made of quality plastic and have good paint.

Both companies make figures that break.

I'll buy both but mainly stick to DCD.

This is superior to

dcdgorillagrodd.jpg

This!

Grodd-2.jpg

This is superior?

dcdjlacf2_aquaman.jpg

to this!

Aquaman1.jpg

Your freakin crazy! When it comes to correct 6'' scale, comic book accuracy, sculpt, POA, vanilla pose & capturing the basic generic look of the character, Mattel & the 4HM blow DCD out of the water!

Dude, the DCD Grod was made aroud 5 or 6 years ago. Of course the Mattel one is better. But theres no question that the DCD McG Aquaman is better. That figure is phenomenal, the way the scales are sculpted on his suit, every second one painted with a metalic finish, the nice vibrant colors and paint quality as well as the great likeness to the artwork. The thing is when the Aquaman from Mattel actually comes out it will look NOWHERE near as good as that prototype unfortunately. Cheap, glossy looking paint will totally kill the overall effect as well as wash out the nice detailing in the sculpt.

Well even 5-6 years ago many toy companies were starting to make better action figure sculpts.

Many early DCD figures were terrible when compared to other figures such as Marvel Legends. Recently

DCD have gotten better sculptwise, they just need improvement on articulation, paint application and scale.

So its really no excuse that their Grodd is so inferior. Mattel has by far schooled DCD sculptwise in other characters.

Personally the DCD McG Aquaman is the best version put out by DCD thus far, however Mattel's non artist specific

generic version looks like the best version of the character, period. It actually mesh with the rest of the line, unlike DCD

McG Aquaman which I would rank as second best Aquaman. Many collectors prefer non artist specific characters since it

makes for a more cohesive line. This is just my personal view Bigsexy, its not to disregard yours. Unfortunately I agree that

Mattel's final Aquaman figure will have cheap glossy paint which really detracts from the great sculpt.

I've only bought a few DCD figures here and there, mainly I've been collecting different artist renditions of Batman. That's what I like about DCD, and that you can find them easily (if you're willing to spend the retail $15) when they first come out. However, I am excited about the Mattel line because the scale should be pretty consistent (except for the super tall two-face and the not big enough Bane), as well as stylistically.

The thing about DCD is that a lot of the lines are artist specific, which prevents me from trying to get the universe as a whole, but I am willing to get the same character that's based on a different style on a case by case basis. So yeah, these lines play different roles for me and one doesn't cannibalize the other for me.

Also, because the Mattel figs are much more articulated and are in the 6" scale, they go well with all the Marvel Legends toys I have, which is a huge plus. UNFORTUNATELY, the distribution and case ratios SUCK and I'm having a difficult time getting the different Mattel figs without resorting to ebay.

The Mattel representative at WWC (Scott) said that the company is aware of the case packing/figure ratio problem and swears that it will be fixed. He mentioned this at the Mattel/DC panel and, when I spoke to him personally, I stressed that this issue is super important. As I put it to him, I don't want to get 4/5ths of Metamorpho. He said that part of the reason to do the BAFs is to even out the distribution somewhat. As an obsessive collector, I will also want the variants, but I'm willing to search for those (or resort to Ebay for them).

But to drive the point home to Scott, I told him that I was only able to find one 2-Face (which I bought for a ridiculous amount) and only one Cassandra Cain Batgirl (which I didn't buy, much to my regret) at WWC...and they were NOT from the same dealer. Scott was actually going around to different dealers taking pictures of different Mattel figures to show to the corporate guys how much some of the figures were going for on the second hand market.

I thanked Scott for his time and his re-assurance that the packing problems will be addressed. I have to admit, though, that I'm still skeptical.

To be honest, the old DCD Grodd is really not that bad a sculpt at all, Its absurd that they re-use it for the Justice line now of course but its not all bad.

I can see why some collectors prefer a non-specific style of character. For me though, Its just about having a cool figure. This is why I never cared too much about scale or artist specific figures. Just doesn't matter to me. This is not to say there is not a place for them.

Similar to how i prefer little to no articulation in action figures so not to ruin the sculpt or the anatomy of the character. I don't exactly think its right to suggest DCD needs to improve on its articulation. It could add more if it wanted to, its not incapable of it but they simply choose not to for aesthetic reasons. And many collectors agree with this and many do not. But it would be inconsistent of them to start changing their format now.

To be honest, the old DCD Grodd is really not that bad a sculpt at all, Its absurd that they re-use it for the Justice line now of course but its not all bad.

I can see why some collectors prefer a non-specific style of character. For me though, Its just about having a cool figure. This is why I never cared too much about scale or artist specific figures. Just doesn't matter to me. This is not to say there is not a place for them.

Similar to how i prefer little to no articulation in action figures so not to ruin the sculpt or the anatomy of the character. I don't exactly think its right to suggest DCD needs to improve on its articulation. It could add more if it wanted to, its not incapable of it but they simply choose not to for aesthetic reasons. And many collectors agree with this and many do not. But it would be inconsistent of them to start changing their format now.

You state: Similar to how i prefer little to no articulation in action figures so not to ruin the sculpt .

So basically, you collect statues! Then DCD is the line for you! Mattel/4HM are the complete opposite of what you like. They know what the "action" in figure stands for & incorporate that into their sculpts.

Why would you even be on the DCSH/DCCU topics when this line is not for statue collectors, since the aesthetics of the sculpt is what's important to you. I long ago gave up on DCD actually making action figures that were scale compatible with each other & had more than just 9 POA.

Now that Mattel has the rights to the entire DCU for the next 5 yrs, my worries are over!

You also say: This is why I never cared too much about scale.

I'd say you're in the minority here. scale has been the #1 problem issue with DCD and us collectors have let George know this over the yrs & yet, they still haven't fixed it!

Now that they have competition, George & company are trying to outdo Mattel & say they're coming out with a 6'' scale line next yr. Funny, how it took Mattel getting the rights to the DCU, for DCD to get off their lazy butts& do something about the scale issues. Even if their 6'' line is actually in 6'' scale, they'll probably still feature just 9 POA, & cost over $15.00, no thanks, I'll just stick with the great, comic book accurate, generic, vanilla, multiple POA figures that the 4HM are cranking out for us. Oh, did I mention that they're actually in the ...gasp...6'' scale!

I'd say you're in the minority here. scale has been the #1 problem issue with DCD and us collectors have let George know this over the yrs & yet, they still haven't fixed it!

now that they have competition, George & company are trying to outdo Mattel & say they're coming out with a 6'' scale line next yr. Funny, how it took Mattel getting the rights to the DCU, for DCD to get off their lazy butts& do something about the scale issues. Even if their 6'' line is actually in 6'' scale, they'll probably still feature just 9 POA, & cost over $15.00, no thanks, I'll just stick with the great, comic book accurate, generic, vanilla, multiple POA figures that the 4HM are cranking out for us. Oh, did I mention that they're actually in the ...gasp...6'' scale!

I actually to a degree agree with both of you. Personally I agree that the aesthetics of a sculpt is important and if its

possible to add moderate articulation without compromising the overall sculpt then I'm all for it. For example Marvel Legends

added so much POA to their figures that many had loose joints and were flimsy which is why I ceased collecting them. DCD's

figures are almost statues, but more sturdy, however Mattel manages to give us superb sculpts and just enough POA which is'

great. The worst line DCD has put out were the Kingdom Come figures which had the potential to be great had they bother to

add some articulation. Yet since they make obscure characters many collectors overlook this.

The largest issue I have with DCD is scale, which isn't even capable with many of their own figures let alone Mattel's. I was an avid

collector of DCD, but since Mattel has the ability to make practically any character then many collectors many gravitate towards them.

I HATE DCD figures with a passion. If you take one figure on its own, it might be nice, but I don't understand how anybody could try to collect all their favorite characters from DCD, they will never look good next to each other. Its the artist specific thing most of all that sucks about DCD.

the figures themselves are crappy too. I hate that tiny t-crotch, it looks so weird. And the figures have bad articulation. and they are expensive.

Mattel has a long way to go, a lot of their figures have been bad so far because of the old molds they used. And I dislike their articulation also.... the figures can't even stand with their legs closed!.... but I think Mattel's line is much better than DCD, and that is what I will be collecting to get my DC fix

I HATE DCD figures with a passion. If you take one figure on its own, it might be nice, but I don't understand how anybody could try to collect all their favorite characters from DCD, they will never look good next to each other. Its the artist specific thing most of all that sucks about DCD.

the figures themselves are crappy too. I hate that tiny t-crotch, it looks so weird. And the figures have bad articulation. and they are expensive.

Mattel has a long way to go, a lot of their figures have been bad so far because of the old molds they used. And I dislike their articulation also.... the figures can't even stand with their legs closed!.... but I think Mattel's line is much better than DCD, and that is what I will be collecting to get my DC fix

Hey CLAM34, I agree with ya totally on all the reasons why you hate DCD figs, don't forget their crap inabilty/refusal to correct the scale!

As far as Mattel, I count 19 POA on Bats, Supes, Steel, Parasite, etc, that's 10 more POA than DCD puts on their figures. IMO, that is way more than enough to put them in all sorts of cool battle stances & poses. It also doesn't detract from the overall sculpt of the figure. I have no problem getting my figs to stand, when I pose them with their legs as close together as I can get them. The way you pose the arms might help them maintain their balance.

Mark my words, Mattel's DCCU line is gonna run circles around DCD's line in 08!

You state: Similar to how i prefer little to no articulation in action figures so not to ruin the sculpt .

So basically, you collect statues! Then DCD is the line for you! Mattel/4HM are the complete opposite of what you like. They know what the "action" in figure stands for & incorporate that into their sculpts.

Why would you even be on the DCSH/DCCU topics when this line is not for statue collectors, since the aesthetics of the sculpt is what's important to you. I long ago gave up on DCD actually making action figures that were scale compatible with each other & had more than just 9 POA.

Now that Mattel has the rights to the entire DCU for the next 5 yrs, my worries are over!

Now that they have competition, George & company are trying to outdo Mattel & say they're coming out with a 6'' scale line next yr. Funny, how it took Mattel getting the rights to the DCU, for DCD to get off their lazy butts& do something about the scale issues. Even if their 6'' line is actually in 6'' scale, they'll probably still feature just 9 POA, & cost over $15.00, no thanks, I'll just stick with the great, comic book accurate, generic, vanilla, multiple POA figures that the 4HM are cranking out for us. Oh, did I mention that they're actually in the ...gasp...6'' scale!

must you always be so abbrasive Thanos, just because some of us don't need a ton of articulation doesn't mean we don't like action figures just fine, why is it that you articulation junkies get so defensive and have a my way or the highway attitude about toys. you don't hear us non articulation guys bitching and telling you to go play with marionettes or other super articulated things every time you say you want more movement now do ya :P

and seriously who the hell are you to tell him he doesn't belong in this topic just because he disagrees with you and likes DCD more then DCSH, isn't that the whole friggin point of this post to get both sides?

must you always be so abbrasive Thanos, just because some of us don't need a ton of articulation doesn't mean we don't like action figures just fine, why is it that you articulation junkies get so defensive and have a my way or the highway attitude about toys. you don't hear us non articulation guys bitching and telling you to go play with marionettes or other super articulated things every time you say you want more movement now do ya :P

and seriously who the hell are you to tell him he doesn't belong in this topic just because he disagrees with you and likes DCD more then DCSH, isn't that the whole friggin point of this post to get both sides?

I don't think I'm being abrasive at all Mr Yac. If collecting non articulated, out of scale, statues is your preference, DCD is your kinda line. I would hardly call 19 POA a "ton" of POA. but it is the perfect amount for an action figure IMO & way more than the standard 9 POA that DCD gives to their stat...I mean "action" figures.

Mattel's line of DCCU is the anti-DCD & for people that prefer to collect DCD figs, it's totally pointless to come on here & state how you don't care for their amount of POA or what have you. This line is about finally giving us DCU fans somethings that DCD refused to do so over the last 3-4 yrs.

6'' inch scaled figures that are scale compatible when posed with each other, are generic, vanilla sculpts, comic book accurate, non artist specific & feature a substantial amount of articulation so you can pose them in more than just 2-3 poses!

I don't even bother posting on the DCD topics anymore, I just read em & shake my head at how DCD is still coming out with Bats figure # 327 & you guys going crazy over it or Supes figure #251 but with a new head sculpt & fans going bonkers over it! Superbats is all they seem to shove down the fans throats! Where is a Creeper figure? Where is a Rocket Red figure?

The only DCD batman figure I own is the HUSH Batman & that was replaced by the vastly superior Mattel/4HM Bats! Why in the world would I want 22 different figures of the same character over & over again? That's 21 other different DCU charatcers that DCD coulda given the fans!

The concept that truly ruined the line IMO is the artist of the month lines & story line of the month lines! They have made all the figures totally incompatible with each other & with the out of whack scale issues they have, even more so!

I pray Mattel never does this!

Mr Yac, I dunno if you're just pro DCD & anti- DCCU or if you collect both, but you are in denial if you think DCD is the better line right now.

I kind of like the fact that not all the DC Direct figures look homogenous. The fact that some of the figures look like this artist's version or that artist's version actually make them look cool displayed together (with some notable exceptions...Tim Sale's figures are SO stylized, that I only display Mad Hatter with the others...my Two-Face was the Japanese Kia Asamiya figure until recently. I have now replaced him with the 4Horsemen version from DCSH line). The Ed McGuiness Capt. Atom looks just fine next to my Ed Benes Vixen and my "generic" Elongated Man and Red Tornado. My Michael Turner Darksied towers over my Alex Ross Sinestro and my Jim Lee Ra's Al Ghul. I honestly don't have a problem with how they look next to each other.

The scale issue is a bit of a problem, but it's not that concerning to me. I am shorter than some of my friends and taller than others. It only becomes a HUGE display issue when my Red Arrow figure dwarfed my Nightwing (but the Nightwing I have on display is by Mattel).

I totally understand the issues that are being raised, but for me, personally, this issues aren't too upsetting.

I kind of like the fact that not all the DC Direct figures look homogenous. The fact that some of the figures look like this artist's version or that artist's version actually make them look cool displayed together (with some notable exceptions...Tim Sale's figures are SO stylized, that I only display Mad Hatter with the others...my Two-Face was the Japanese Kia Asamiya figure until recently. I have now replaced him with the 4Horsemen version from DCSH line). The Ed McGuiness Capt. Atom looks just fine next to my Ed Benes Vixen and my "generic" Elongated Man and Red Tornado. My Michael Turner Darksied towers over my Alex Ross Sinestro and my Jim Lee Ra's Al Ghul. I honestly don't have a problem with how they look next to each other.

The scale issue is a bit of a problem, but it's not that concerning to me. I am shorter than some of my friends and taller than others. It only becomes a HUGE display issue when my Red Arrow figure dwarfed my Nightwing (but the Nightwing I have on display is by Mattel).

I totally understand the issues that are being raised, but for me, personally, this issues aren't too upsetting.

You state: I am shorter than some of my friends and taller than others. True, cuz you're 5'10 & your friend is 5'6, you're taller, yet your other friend is 6'3, so he's taller than you! Superman is 6'3 in the comics, Wonder woman is 5'11, yet she's sculpted as being the same hgt as Superman or sometimes taller! Gimme a break.

Look at the Benes JLA line, in the comics, Vixen is 5'7 & Canary 5'4, yet they're sculpted as being the same hgt as Supes who's 6'3! Sorry, I can't justify buying a line of figures where the women are sculpted as being as tall as Superman, or for that matter, male DC characters that I know are shorter than Supes , but yet are sculpted the same hgt as him. The only females that should be sculpted as being bigger than Superman are Big Barda & Giganta, that's it!

More power to you & others that don't mind posing all their out of scale DCD figs next to one another, me, I can't tolerate it!

I'll stick with Mattel for the next 5yrs, thank you.

You state: I am shorter than some of my friends and taller than others. True, cuz you're 5'10 & your friend is 5'6, you're taller, yet your other friend is 6'3, so he's taller than you! Superman is 6'3 in the comics, Wonder woman is 5'11, yet she's sculpted as being the same hgt as Superman or sometimes taller! Gimme a break.

Look at the Benes JLA line, in the comics, Vixen is 5'7 & Canary 5'4, yet they're sculpted as being the same hgt as Supes who's 6'3! Sorry, I can't justify buying a line of figures where the women are sculpted as being as tall as Superman, or for that matter, male DC characters that I know are shorter than Supes , but yet are sculpted the same hgt as him. The only females that should be sculpted as being bigger than Superman are Big Barda & Giganta, that's it!

More power to you & others that don't mind posing all their out of scale DCD figs next to one another, me, I can't tolerate it!

I'll stick with Mattel for the next 5yrs, thank you.

Thanos while I do agree with you,and believe me no one is a bigger fan of the Mattel line than me, you are being a little abrasive. I think DCD sucks big fat @#$#. And while I do believe that people who think DCD is better are crazy, the way you are attacking there opinions is just brutal. I buy a DCSH figure everytime I go to the store even if I already have it just because I love this line. DCD has had years to get there act together and yet Mattel is only coming up on 1 year and 9 months and they are blowing them out of the water. DCD has run out of excuses ,if you guys like DCD I hope you get everything you want,and hopefully for you guys since Mattel got the licnse maybe they will step there game up.

Who thought the fact two lines are providing double the chances of getting DC figures would turn into a battle so soon?!?! THanos I don't mean to single you out, but as a fan of both lines, its ok to defend mattel and say you like their line better but to attack every opinion on here that is for dc direct is going a little overboard. Whats the point of having this conversation if you are just going to take teh "Yeah whatever you're crazy I'm right!" angle each time?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the TOPIC of this thread "DCU vs.DCD?

I never said there was anything wrong with collectors liking articulation nor was it wrong, but to me, when you have a figure with articulation, all you can do is pose it in a bunch of ways that look unnatural no matter what, this is why i prefer to have the figure sculpted either pre-posed, or in a basic stance with little articulation (ala DCD.)

Also DCD figures are far from statues in my eyes. While they have less POA they are almost lways sculpted in a more or less "vanilla" stance and feature all the basic POA, legs, knees, elbows, neck etc.That being said I do love my Mcfarlane/NECA "statues".

Also my argument over what company put out better toys never really had anything to do with the format or POA etc. Thats up to preference. My only complaints about Mattel were that they ended up looking a lot worse than the prototypes in the final production stage and the DCD figures often looked BETTER. Also that the DCD figures are made out of better plastic and have better paint that takes note of wha should b glossy and what should be mat. The effect of a mat finish on Black Lightning with just gloss gloves just gives the overall impression of a higher quality figure. With DCSH I have to mat coat them all just so they look better.

I also stated that to me, paying more for a figure that is made out of better plastic and easier to find (my DCSH figures end up costime a hell of a lot more than my DCD because I have to order them all form ebay).

Who thought the fact two lines are providing double the chances of getting DC figures would turn into a battle so soon?!?! THanos I don't mean to single you out, but as a fan of both lines, its ok to defend mattel and say you like their line better but to attack every opinion on here that is for dc direct is going a little overboard. Whats the point of having this conversation if you are just going to take teh "Yeah whatever you're crazy I'm right!" angle each time?

I really don't mean to come down so harshly on the pro DCD side, but when some of them continue to defend DCD's out of scale issues, countless re-dos of Superbats at the expense of other DCU characters that have yet to be done, limited POA, etc, & then have the audacity to put down DCCU for giving us what we've been asking/begging of DCD for yrs, I'm gonna get harsh!

I really don't mean to come down so harshly on the pro DCD side, but when some of them continue to defend DCD's out of scale issues, countless re-dos of Superbats at the expense of other DCU characters that have yet to be done, limited POA, etc, & then have the audacity to put down DCCU for giving us what we've been asking/begging of DCD for yrs, I'm gonna get harsh!

I do have to say this at least, I do admire you passion for these figures.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the TOPIC of this thread "DCU vs.DCD?

I never said there was anything wrong with collectors liking articulation nor was it wrong, but to me, when you have a figure with articulation, all you can do is pose it in a bunch of ways that look unnatural no matter what, this is why i prefer to have the figure sculpted either pre-posed, or in a basic stance with little articulation (ala DCD.)

Also DCD figures are far from statues in my eyes. While they have less POA they are almost lways sculpted in a more or less "vanilla" stance and feature all the basic POA, legs, knees, elbows, neck etc.That being said I do love my Mcfarlane/NECA "statues".

Also my argument over what company put out better toys never really had anything to do with the format or POA etc. Thats up to preference. My only complaints about Mattel were that they ended up looking a lot worse than the prototypes in the final production stage and the DCD figures often looked BETTER. Also that the DCD figures are made out of better plastic and have better paint that takes note of wha should b glossy and what should be mat. The effect of a mat finish on Black Lightning with just gloss gloves just gives the overall impression of a higher quality figure. With DCSH I have to mat coat them all just so they look better.

I also stated that to me, paying more for a figure that is made out of better plastic and easier to find (my DCSH figures end up costime a hell of a lot more than my DCD because I have to order them all form ebay).

Bigsexy944, you state: "when you have a figure with articulation, all you can do is pose it in a bunch of ways that look unnatural no matter what, this is why i prefer to have the figure sculpted either pre-posed, or in a basic stance with little articulation (ala DCD.)

So for all intents & puposes you like collecting statues! I seriously fail to see how posing a very articulated figure looks "unnatural"

As far as "DCD figures are made out of better plastic and have better paint". I beg to differ, none of the DCSH figures I've purchased have ever broken on me, while I have heard story after countless story from tons of DCD fans complaining about their figure's arm or leg breaking as soon as they took it out of the package!

You state "I prefer to have the figure sculpted either pre-posed, or in a basic stance with little articulation (ala DCD.)"

Then this line is seriously not for you or anyone else that collects DCD for those same reasons. Just like DCD is not for me based on the reasons you state for liking it.

Just wait for NY Toy Fair in Feb 08, then we'll see which line is gonna blow who out of the water!

My $$ is on Mattel/4HM!

Mr Yac, I dunno if you're just pro DCD & anti- DCCU or if you collect both, but you are in denial if you think DCD is the better line right now.

very much a fan of both, love DC more then Marvel, always have so 2 good companies giving me lots of options for figures is the best news i've heard in a long time. i just find it funny is all that you're trying to kick all the DCD fans out of the thread when it was originally made to get peoples opinions on both companies ;)

very much a fan of both, love DC more then Marvel, always have so 2 good companies giving me lots of options for figures is the best news i've heard in a long time. i just find it funny is all that you're trying to kick all the DCD fans out of the thread when it was originally made to get peoples opinions on both companies ;)

Hi Mr Yac, I apologize if I've given people the impression that I'm trying to kick people off this thread, that isn't my intention, I love debating the DCD defenders & pointing out all the screwed up things George & co have done these last 3-4 yrs, if not longer. I only get POed when they try & justify or excuse what DCD has done with the line.

Believe me, I'll be the 1st one on Mattel's butt if they start screwing up the line & I'll be the 1st one to critique the 4HM, if their sculpt of a certain character isn't up to their usual excellence.

For example, I'm none to happy with the face sculpt on Ronnie Raymond, nor the flame effects on either FS head, the flame heads on both classic/modern DCD Firestorms are better! I really hope they fix those 2 issues with the FS figures! I hope they fix their distribution problems before wave 1 hits in Jan 08.

Now let the debate about who's better: DCD/Mattel continue!

i don't see a reason for one to be "better" then the other, 2 companies giving us figures of characters we love (well some characters anyway) in 2 different styles, sounds like we all win...well except me because neither side wants to give me a damn Detective Chimp figure :angry:

Well, this thread has been up for a while and has seemed to float in another direction, but for some reason I think I'll add my comment:

I've never been interested in DC based toys until Mattel's line. I've had my eye on countless DCD figures, and actually found them, which is big for me since any place that will carry them is kinda far away. However, not once have I brought myself to buy a DCD figure. Each time I see this SWEET looking figure, then find it, then examine the package to basically find a statue. I was really looking forward to the Azrael Batman costume too! I found it though, and looked at it, which turned me away once again. I just can't bring myself to spend that much on something that I won't be able to play with or pose myself (you know, to put up little fights with other figures). In a way, I like statues as well, since a lot of my figures end up standing around....however, I want the statues to work for ME, not for the sculptor. I know the sculptor had a wonderful pose in mind, but I have a ton as well, and I can't make or customize figures! I'd like them to provide the articulation that's needed to give me the freedom that I love about action figures.

Basically, there isn't one figure that I own that I won't eventually take down and start playing with, if only to put 'em in another pose. I can't stand looking at a figure that's just going to stand there. This, of course, is all my opinion though. I respect those who enjoy the artwork of a figure; I enjoy it as well. That's why I like the Mattel line so much, because the 4H can make a DAMN good action figure while still making it a work of art!

On a side note though: Mattel had better fix their distribution. I hate it when I want to give a company money and they simply say "NO!". I doubt I'll ever find Two-Face or Batgirl, and I'm not paying ebay prices. I'll just go without if they are going to make me run through a rat maze.

I go on a figure by figure basis. For instance, I like the Mattel Steel better than DCD's, but I prefer my DCD Cyborg Supes to the Mattel version. Whichever is the better representation of the character is the one I go for.