Gi joe mmorpg

Valdin

http://www.joesightings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6010 states a gi joe mmoprg would make a great game. I have been playing mmo's since Star wars galaxies first came out, and after the nge,I jumped ship to world of warcraft and have been happy there ever since. I also like the city of heros/villians to play as well. World of warcraft (the last time i checked) has 8.5 million subscribers playing now.

Just imagine the possibilities of a Gi joe mmorpg. For starters most mmo's let you play on both sides of the coin. In warcraft you can play the alliance OR the Horde ( I play both). In star wars you can play a rebel, an Imperial or just simply be in the world coexisting and enjoying the fun. So with this said, I would love to play an mmo where I could be a cobra, a joe, a dreadnok, a spy, or even perhaps work for the MARS program and develop weapons as a bystander or to join in the fun. Imagine all the landscapes in games and in mmo's they are 10 times better. Also think about running around in a Tank or a Skystriker and going into battle to do pvp against another group and knowing its not just some dumb npc that has a set ai, your actually playing against someone else, a living breathing, thoughts in motion, person. You could have guilds which would be mini malitias/ or could be considered a cobra/joe base of operations where other factions could be trying to take over. Having a Terrordrome as a guildhall would be so much fun to me. Also working up, doing missions or battle could move you up through the ranks and earn you perks like new uniform options, weapons, vehicles, or even npc troops you could control and bring into battle.

For me, in star wars some of the highlights were going to see points of interest that were most memorable in the movies, and seeing characters out and about from the universe and interacting with them, or doing missions for them to be in their good grace to further unlock jabbas palace and the emperors retreat.

Another possibility which has been in the mmorpgs is the chance to be a creature handler. So having a croc like croc master, or any breed of dog/wolf/Eagle for the animal handlers of Gi Joe like Mutt, Law, Snake eyes, or spirit could be a possibility.

Its funny cause I was just thinking to myself wouldnt the Gi joe universe be a great place to be in and interact with others and see the landscapes.

I know in star wars when you did quests you could get faction points to get stormtrooper armor. Who wouldn't want to do the same to get viper armor or any other set of armor for that matter?

As for me count me in. I would jump ship for an awesome gi joe mmorpg any day. Its time us Joe fans got a good game to play and could take part in that would be as massive as the joe verse.

i always wanted to play city of heroes. i like rpgs but my computer isn't really a gaming computer. i play strategy games but thats about it on the computer. i think the 360 is due for a good mmorpg. two worlds coming out soon and i think thats one of the few rpgs that you can acutally play online.

gi joe would be hard to make a mmorpg out of though because everyone would want to be the same characters don't you think? there's not really a whole lot of character customization you could. because if everyone made there own gi joe or cobra characters how would it be gi joe and cobra?? it would just be city of heroes without the superpowers the gi joe universe isn't nearly as big as star wars so its very hard to even compare the two. sure it would be fun but its never going to happen.

edit--> i think making it a mmorpg is limiting it. it could be mmo and have some rpg elemets but its still mostly be a shooter. it would have to be. something like rainbow six where you can work in squads. also i wouldn't pay a monthly fee to play a game on my computer. i know there are people that would but comparing to huge games like city of heroes, wow, and sw galaxies is stretching it. gi joe doesn't have nearly a large enough fan base imo for it to succeed solely on collectors. they'd have to get regular gamers to want to get it too. plus if people are already paying to play those three games mentioned online already why would they want to add another one that probably won't meet up to the high standards fans will set.

Actually theres a huge amount of customizing that you can do when making a character for city of heros. I've made a couple cobra/joe toons already. But they will reset the toon to generic if your playing as a popular character/with the name etc. As far as the lands go, in swg, it is sandbox, so they threw in where everything should go and added terrain and citys. Theres I think 9 planets to explore, and they are basically just different climates/areas on earth, which shouldn't be hard to translate to gi joe. We got jungle, city/urban, ice/snow, etc. Water areas would be good too if they could work them right, there hasnt been much as far as water goes in mmos from what ive seen. Halo has very good vehicle based gameplay which could be added. And I think squad play could be good if they could add it, but playing with friends or other players has its advantages too especially with team speak etc. I play world of warcraft now with my gf and our friends in hawaii and we talk to each other through google talk, nightly and have a blast with no problems.

I'm just saying that swg has been around for 4-5 years and had lots of good stuff to work with then and they just kept adding as they went, and now 4-5 years later, they should have been abled to add more bells and whistles by now to any game.

With the character customization, they should have lots of choices to choose from, and you should be abled to unlock further peices of armor for certain viper/troop sets. Or/also as warcraft goes, as you advance you get better armor loot drops with better stats that you can switch out on your toon.

yeah but at what point does it stop being gi joe and start being your fantasy? im all for choices and customization of character in a game but it wouldn't be gi joe to me if there was thousands of new joe and cobra characters that people just created off the top of their heads running around. there would have to be some kind of storyline and some kind of set boundaries. you'd have to pick a character, not create one, and play with people who didn't pick the same character as you to accomplish a mission.

but! creating a new joe or cobra would work if it were not mmo. then there would only be one new character introduced into the joe world.

if/when the movie comes there will be a crappy movie based game like transformers. i wouldn't expect more than that.

I tried the SW MMORPG, and honestly I don't get it... I understand the appeal but it seemed like a waste of time to me, and I didn't really enjoy myself. I don't really think GI Joe is particularly suited to the genre, either... To be quite honest, I would prefer GI Joe to be a third-person 3D shooter, in the same style as Ghost Recon, but a little less realistic if you what I mean. There would be a solid one-player story mode, but a killer online version as well, more suited to the fast-paced military action that is what GI Joe really should be about. There would be an element of stealth as well, provided by ninja and commando-type characters like SS, SE, etc. You could pick any character to play as, and customize it from there to create your own. Just thinking about all the possibilities of customizable character designs and possible add-ons makes me want to own this game...

Basically, think Ghost Recon combined with Call of Duty, with a few sneaky hack and slash elements for the ninja. That is what would work in a GI Joe game, not going around spending hours on "quests" and stuff like that... blah.

Any Joe game MMO or otherwise should be modelled after Metal Gear Solid. That style is perfect for a Joe game. Make it like Metal gear Solid: Portable Ops, in which you can recruit either real people through the net or game-generated players.

Only with regards to characters like Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow. I think a mix of MGS and Ghost Recon/Call of Duty is best. You would be able to play games in a covert manner or more like a traditional combat shooter, which is suited to most of the GI Joe characters after all.

I like RPGs... but I never play the online kinds... don't really need to. I have enough fun playing without dealing with other folks or making the game a replacement for real life @lol@

don't forget to throw a little tenchu in there for the se/ss missions!

i think 3rd person shooter is what it would most likely be if they did in fact make a gi joe game. i also couldn't see a gi joe game being for the pc only. especially if its a movie game. i'm all for games with guests and stuff but that wouldn't fit gi joe because they're not individual characters with their own personal goals. se isn't going to be going door to door talking to people and getting missions from them. it mmorpgs don't apply to the modern world very well. and thats what gi joe should be/is. a modern day anti-terrorist unit. not a guild of fighters or mages or mandalorians.

don't forget to throw a little tenchu in there for the se/ss missions!

i think 3rd person shooter is what it would most likely be if they did in fact make a gi joe game. i also couldn't see a gi joe game being for the pc only. especially if its a movie game. i'm all for games with guests and stuff but that wouldn't fit gi joe because they're not individual characters with their own personal goals. se isn't going to be going door to door talking to people and getting missions from them. it mmorpgs don't apply to the modern world very well. and thats what gi joe should be/is. a modern day anti-terrorist unit. not a guild of fighters or mages or mandalorians.

Oh definitely, massive online shooter game is what this needs to be, and yeah, with swords too...

I forgot to mention that the Call of Duty aspect is important as well, because if it's GI Joe it's gotta have VEHICLES. You'd have to be able to get into a VAMP, HISS, Stinger, AWE Striker, Mauler, Killer WHALE, etc...

I could go for a game like Star Wars:Galaxies...but it would have the potential to be kinda lame.

I would only want 1 Snake Eyes per server...perhaps they could do it like Galaxies and not let Players be the known characters. But if it turned into a Server full of Ninjas...it might suck...but imagine..you could be Joe, Cobra, Dreadnok, October Guard, "Red Something" etc...

But now a 1st Person shooter like Battlefield 2 with all the Joe vehicles...that would be cool. I remember when Counter Strike had the RUMOR of someone doing new Skins so that your team and enemies looked like Joes and Cobras...pretty cool..never played it though...

The problem would be that it would still need just one of each character per server. But with over 100 Joes...it could be a programmingn nightmare. The Cobra's would be a bit easier.

Basically, I'll take any good Joe game. As it is, my gaming buddies just use Joe Personas for BF2 and try to stay true to the "Character" when picking a kit. We've even gone to the point of having our server (un ranked of course) where the Bots are Cobra and Joe names....

The problem would be that it would still need just one of each character per server. But with over 100 Joes...it could be a programmingn nightmare.

Not really, who cares if there are doubles? Basically it'd be like back when you were a kid and everyone brought their Joes to play - there's gonna be a few doubles, but who really cares?

With a good customization feature and so many characters to choose from in the first place it wouldn't matter much anyway. You'd be bound to see a huge variety onscreen. Who cares if there were 3-4 Snake Eyes as well...

I guess we played differently as kids, there was only one of each individual character per "battle"...

While there wouldn't be an issue for me with 4-5 "Commandos" on the screen at one time, the "Feel" of the game would be lost if there were a bunch of Snake Eyes Clones vs. a bunch of Storm Shadow Clones. Part of these games was to "re-create" their universe or some such, I just think it would distract.

Like you said the customization would make it where there would be enough difference, but one of the alures of the Star Wars:Galaxies game for me was there weren't going to be 500 Boba Fetts, 500 Han Solos and 500 Darth Mauls in the game.

I would prefer the speed of the 1st Person shooter anyway..and those games give you maybe 8 or so choices per side and that is tolerable enough.

MMOs based on any known property with a fleshed out background (WOW included) will never allow Feature characters be PCs. It leads to way to much confusion and people getting all bent out of shape because the person THEY want to play is taken. All important characters such as Duke, Stalker, Hawk, Colton, etc.. etc.. etc.. would be NPCs to push on potential stories or world events and quest givers. Also, MMOs are based around leveling up to storm through new zones and content and new gear to obtain. Plus an MMO where everyone had ranged weapons would be chaotic. Then you have to think about the classes and alot of other things that I think would not fit into the GI Joe-verse very well.

I, personally, loved the NES GI Joe games and the arcade game (as brief as its life was) was fun also. A story or continuity such as GI Joe just seems to play out better in a single mode game or multiplayer with your friends in a first-person or third person as alot of people said. This could work online like Halo or RE:Outbreak (but make it actually a good game) and allow online players to do PVP or story-mode.

First off, a mmorpg is a great idea, and it is not to be thought of as a final fantasy rpg. The rpg aspect means that you role play your character in the game, not that your a fairie trolloping around. And secondly you dont go knocking door to door for quests, as someone stated earlier. If alls the game was vacuum salesmen/women work, I don't think it would be that great and i don't think 8.5 + million people would be playing world of warcraft. And if mmo's were that bad then I wonder why there are so many now and so many more in development. And just because one sucks doesnt mean they all will, you just have to find the right one to play, which if/when it came out would be gi joe for me. When it comes to mmo games, don't knock it until you tried it.

Theres a good sci-fi/military game in works in beta called Tabula Rasa that isn't bad, it is in beta and I got a key to try it for free until it comes out which is very cool.

The swg aspect I was talking about that would translate great to gijoe was the way it was setup initially, as a Massive online community that needed one another to work to help out and advance. You could have your crafters/merchants that can go out and mine resources to make weapons/ vehicles/ and armor to sell to the community, and you could have medics/doctors to heal wounded, and/or give buffs to improve stats for battle. They could have set battlefields to gather your groups in and do battle. Not just play some squad based game by yourself commanding your team, but actually working with other people together for a common goal. There should be pvp with bases and vehicles which is pretty much what you guys were talking about before.

As far as your characters go, you CAN"T have 20 guys dressed as destro or snake eyes running around. Each character should be unique and character made. If they choose the joe side they should have something like a tattoo or insignia saying gi joe on their armor or clothes and same done for cobra. I like the idea of being abled to earn armor or to play as a cobra troop, or viper, or grunt and working your way up the ranks. But you CAN"T play as a preexisting character period. They would be npcs that you could talk to/work with.

When swg came out everyone wanted to be a jedi, but it was nowhere to be found at the start. When it did come out,you had to WORK for it to get there which didn't happen overnight and you had to find out how to go through the process which kinda made it interesting and greatful that you earned everystep you took ( but then there were too many whiners that wanted it to be a starting profession, which they made it that way, which ruined it big time).

I could see Gijoe as a mmorpg/shooter/squad game with some sniping action and the works, which could be good on console and pc. And for the people that don't want to pay monthly they could come out with console games to play ( hopefully).

For sniper and better play mechanics, it should have an option to choose between third person and first person, especially for sniping out enemies.

I know a good game I played years ago that felt closest to Gi joe in my books was command and conquer Renegade.

To me there are sooo many more options/activity/fan interaction than in a standard game, and trust me it is worth every penny. I do like 1st person shooters and squad based games as much as the next guy, but I get more out of a game that isnt just another routine deathmatch and knowing that im interacting with people/community than a limited npc.

Also in swg they did have unarmed combat/polearmtype fighting which worked out pretty cool for the guys who want to do martial arts which was always fun. Theres also a Matrix online game with lots of martial arts in it, so it can be done.

Back to the characters, (on cobra anyway), theres plenty of soldiers/choices to make your character or get armor to play as like heat vipers, laser vipers, annhialators etc, and I think it wouldn't be bad to get clothes/armor resmebling your favorite toon like getting a sailor uniform like shipwreck, or flints beret that you could wear,but characters should be unique, and not clones of existing characters plain and simple.

Like you said the customization would make it where there would be enough difference, but one of the alures of the Star Wars:Galaxies game for me was there weren't going to be 500 Boba Fetts, 500 Han Solos and 500 Darth Mauls in the game.

I would prefer the speed of the 1st Person shooter anyway..and those games give you maybe 8 or so choices per side and that is tolerable enough.

Well yeah, that's how I think it'd have to work. Not strictly 1st person, as you'd want to see your character after all - more like Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell, so you'd be able to see Shipwreck or Snake Eyes or whoever.

And yeah, I'm envisioning something where there'd be like, maybe 60 or so players max, so it wouldn't be like there were hundreds of SEs or SS all over the place. Anyone who plays the game for a certain period would want to customize their player anyway (we'd see some awesome stuff too, like people playing as Tiger Force, etc, DD types, all manners of customized Cobra troops), so the guys playing as SE V2 would likely be easy targets, as they'd probably be noobs, mostly!