WHAT IF.... you were in charge of making the toys

CLAM

If I were in charge I'd hire So No Tornato and have him produce FA Storm.

LOL! It's true...I could easily do a better job on an FA Storm figure than the clowns at HASBRO...but if I were in charge, I would NEVER do an FA Storm.

First of all, we already have a Storm from ML 8...once is enough,

Secondly, IMO, she's a boring, over-rated character that I'd never waste plastic on. Again...that's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

I was just thinking of how you and that other guy got into it over FA Storm. Then I sat back and day dreamed about you (no idea what you look like so I pictured a pissed off M.O.D.O.K) making nothing but FA Storms at the factory then stealing all the variants of FA Storm and then selling them on Ebay.

But if I was in charge I'd use colored plastic as little as possible and go back to paint apps. I'd go back to plastic clamshells (they hold up better over time). Id also get rid of some of the odd joints being used now. I'd also go back to larger BAF's. Don't tell me we are getting small ones because of oil prices. Look at the size of the PITT that just came out.

I was just thinking of how you and that other guy got into it over FA Storm. Then I sat back and day dreamed about you (no idea what you look like so I pictured a pissed off M.O.D.O.K) making nothing but FA Storms at the factory then stealing all the variants of FA Storm and then selling them on Ebay.

But if I was in charge I'd use colored plastic as little as possible and go back to paint apps. I'd go back to plastic clamshells (they hold up better over time). Id also get rid of some of the odd joints being used now. I'd also go back to larger BAF's. Don't tell me we are getting small ones because of oil prices. Look at the size of the PITT that just came out.

I like the image you describe...although I'm far more handsome than MODOK. I think I chose him as my avatar because no one else was using him.

I don't mind colored plastic if it's done correctly. For example, I'd always use flesh-colored plastic for...well, for flesh (whatever tone/color that may be...). I hate it when they paint flesh-tones over "colored" plastic...it just looks cheap.

I, too, would eliminate the HASBRO-joints, and reinstitute the tricep-cut, which HASBRO seems to have abandoned.

And I agree about the BAFs...that "price-of-oil" excuse is BS.

So let's say you wake up one day and magically become the head of the Marvel department at Hasbro, what would you do with the line?

1. I would fire whoever has been running the show. I would fire the designers, fire whoever was responsible for Emma Frost too @lol@

2. To replace those guys, I would make design decisions myself and continue to use Toybiz sculptors. (Hasbro has been using some of the same sculptors, but the differences are obvious in their work. Hasbro's designs are a lot more cartoony and less detailed.)

3.. I would go back and take a few figures already released in HML1, and 2 and retool them.

Banshee gets his collar and a new face.

Hercules gets a new face and a normal skin tone.

Emma gets new head.... maybe a new body... maybe an entirely new figure.

All of HML2 would get their protoype heads back, instead of the cheesy ones they were actually given.

All of HML2 would get nice paint washes.

4. I would HALT production of all future waves and fix some glaring issues, which will be named later. figures that most obviously need help the most:

Ratchel - bad articulation, preskool head (Hasbro styled joints)

Blackbolt - dopey eyes, bad articulation

Nova - goofy head, needs paint detail.

Tigra - ugly articulation

NAMOR - throw this figure away, a completely new figure is needed

Invisible Woman - HORRIBLE costume choice, stupid face, ugly joints

ALL the Spiderman wave.

5. NO MORE Hasbro joints, ever. Don't mess with something that aint broke, Toybiz's articulation is what made Marvel Legends. Not all of it is needed, but double knees and elbows, bicep swivels, etc.. standard. Some figures need more articulation, but none of them need Hasbr's ugly joints.

6. NO MORE cheesy face sculpts. Many Toybiz figures were victims of this, but it has become the standard for Hasbro.

7. Return of paint washes. Tiybiz did it. Mattel does it. WHy can't Hasbro? It really helps bring out the sculpting details and makes figures look much better.

8. Bigger BAF, or less figures needed to make one. It's a shame that it takes 8 figures to make Blob, and he really isn't that big. You should get something bigger for 80 bucks.

9. More accessories. Again, for 10 bucks, the customer deserves more.

10. NO MORE MOVIE figures. if you need to make movie figures, give them their own series. If the stores won't order them, then they must realze that these figures shouldn't be made in the first place.

11. CHange packaging. I like the look of the packaging, but its unpractical. It should be more symmetrical. I wouldn't have changed the packaging from Toybiz's if I were in charge. It makes sense if I can get old Toybiz collectors to continue their MOC collections because the Hasbro packaging fits in with their old stuff... I want customers to buy 2 of each figure. Hasbro packaging isn't made to be kept MOC.

12. actually get my product in the store.

1. the designers ARE THE SAME ONES AS THE TOYBIZ FIGURES. the people who worked on legends, still work on it. you wouldnt be doing anything really.

2. see #1.

3. and do what? the figures are about as good as they will ever be. banshee used the standard bullseye body with some tweaks for the removeable wings. hercules skin tone was the skin tone in the comics. and if you say you will re-do emma, then you have to say you'll re-do all the ugly women in the toybiz line, plus spider-woman, wasp, and psylocke, because they share the same basic body as emma.

4. again, the figures would be exactly the same as if toybiz made them. i personally like invisible woman's costume. if it had been the classic version, you would be complaining about "oh, we already have one of them". double for the heroes reborn suit.

5. something that ain't broke? the extra joints made it easier to break the figure. hasbro's going in the right direction. yes, double joints were nice, but they break easily. they are also using the hip joints toybiz used in the beginning instead of ugly balls. they give good motion, without ruining the aesthetics of the figure.

6. and it was a standard for toybiz. i dont know how many times i have to say this, so i change it up a bit: if the deal wouldnt have gone down when it had, you know what we'd have in stores? Marvel legends 17, with she-hulk, xorn, and ultimate wolverine.

7. and do you kno0w what paint washes do to a figure? the make it look dirty. hasbro tried the same kind of wash/highlight with emma, and that didnt turn out so great.

8. did you see the last few BAFs under toybiz? onslaught, mojo, modok. they weren't that big either. instead of comparing to the early days, compare to the last few months.

9. yes, we do deserve more accessories. but did you ever see a web accessory with spider-man? did you see optical blasts with cyclops? did you see alternate, claw-less hands with wolverine? no, you didn't. and the few more bucks we're spending gives us stronger plastics, better packaging, and generally sturdier figures.

10. that's what, one wave? don't like em? don't buy em. if you complain about SM3, complain about the inclusion of X3 beast, juggernaut, and jean grey. toybiz could have made them, but they didnt. they made the comic line. nothing wrong with that, but they could have given us something.

11. so, you're saying we should go from the most inovative packaging, showing pictures of the character in question from the comic (or in the case of X3, the movie), to generic clamshells that show nothing of the character inside except the figure itself and need to be opened with a power saw. hasbro's packaging is WAAAAAAAAAY better than toybiz's. you should not need tools to open packaging! screw MOC. toys are meant to be played with, or at least displayed loose on a shelf surrounded by it's buddies.

12. well no crap! they can't get there if the store doesnt order them! around the time ML14, my wal*mart still had ML9.

since im such a nice guy, i'll add another for you. two names haunted ML. wolverine and iron man. since hasbro's takeover, we've had six announced waves, and only 1 each of iron man and wolverine. stick that in yer pipe and smoke it.

you cant complain about the sculpts or the POA, because it'd be the same. hell, i think the POA is better. and the packaging? what was so good about toybiz's clamshells? they were generic and omnipresent. and why are you complaining about namor? look at your avatar. i know i dont have the best opinion, and people shouldn't follow me. i am pointing things out, and if you checked your facts, you see it's true. but you? i think you'd rather let the line die than buy something from hasbro. it's better that hasbro got it rather than playmates. then we wouldnt see them in as many places.

you cant complain about the sculpts or the POA, because it'd be the same. hell, i think the POA is better. and the packaging? what was so good about toybiz's clamshells? they were generic and omnipresent. and why are you complaining about namor? look at your avatar. i know i dont have the best opinion, and people shouldn't follow me. i am pointing things out, and if you checked your facts, you see it's true. but you? i think you'd rather let the line die than buy something from hasbro. it's better that hasbro got it rather than playmates. then we wouldnt see them in as many places.

okay mate i buy stuff from hasbro and i would prefer tb was back in charge (but i'm not holding my breath and can live with hasbro being in charge).... but you need to chill. your new here so let me give you some advice. don't let the basher bother you. i mean do you still collect HML? if not why are you bothering to bring about another arguement (trust me you'll get used to those in about a few days)

I agree with many of your points. I could not stand the clamshell packaging on the TB figures, and though I think HML wave 1 had some serious issues, the 3 figures I wanted from wave 2 were nice figures IMO. My biggest problem with wave 2 was out of all those figures I only wanted 3 of the characters, She-Hulk, Yellow Jacket and Quicksilver. I had no desire for movie or Ultimate figures.

That being said, and though there are some who take it way to far and try to jam it down your throat, I have seen that there are enough people out there that are not happy with the current state that ML's are in for whatever reason, that Hasbro can't just keep doing business as usual and hope the line is going to do well. Thats just my opinion of course but at the cons, and on these sites I get to hear alot of different opinions, and right now the majority seem to be on the unhappy side, and telling people they can't complain or shouldn't isn't going to win them over or do Hasbro any favors.

I don't care about complainers I just wish they would state WHY they don't like them rather than just going "hasblowes" sucks all the time :D Its no wonder people make fun of people who collect toys because half of them do still act like kids!

Myself, I would definitely re-release some of the HTF figures, to include figures from other lines that would mesh well, like the Super-Skrull, or others I would prefer to mix-n-match, like a Phasing Ghost Rider with a regular release-version head (just an example, but this is the figure I would've wanted here. I liked everything except the 'half-Johnny' head)

(on a sidenote, it's rather selfish to not want others to have what variants you have based solely on rarity/your 'investment'. A person would still have the first release/first edition of the figures, so their collection would only be devalued if their figures were all open/loose)

Second, larger BAF's, to be sure. Some of the smaller ones are definitely nice to have (Annihilus kicks some major ass, and we probably wouldn't have gotten him otherwise, best example I can offer here), but I can't understand why the 'full-size' humanoid Onslaught wasn't made in leiu of the BAF we got instead. I think there should be more genuine effort put in to making these type of decisions for sure.

Concerning sculpts: Judging from the differences between the first Hasbro wave and, say, the M.O.D.O.K. wave from ToyBiz. I just don't think these are all the same people. Just an opinion. I would definitely go with the TB scupltors here (it does look like their work on YelowJacket, Quicksilver, and She-Hulk, though. Very nice figures)

As far as POA, I prefer TB's style over Hasbro's, but then again, not all figures need individual fingers or 'kung-fu grip'. (IMO, YellowJacket, Quicksilver, and perhaps Hercules are the best figures that Hasbro has yet offered in Marvel Legends) Swivel wrists or forearms should be on each figure, though. Just IMO.

I would also consider 'skipping' the BAF in favor of including 'accessory' figures or even a 'dual figure' wave concept, using the scale from Marvel's first wave (so that we're still in the single carded price range, and not in the 'Face-Offs' area.). Examples could be a Subterrenian (sp?) included with Mole Man, a 'Chessman' figure with a member of the Hellfire Club, or a '1st appearance' Ultron with some Hank Pym figure (AntMan with a labcoat, something like that).

Taking a tangent from that, I would consider doing a switchable heads version of figures, too. (For some reason, the 'labcoat Antman' is staying in my head. A Henry Pym Antman with an alternate unmasked Hank head, and a labcoat :D )

That's my take. It does seem simple enough to us, doesn't it? Somewhere between the boardrooms and the pegs, something gets lost, I think. Opinions? :rolleyes:

I don't care about complainers I just wish they would state WHY they don't like them rather than just going "hasblowes" sucks all the time :D Its no wonder people make fun of people who collect toys because half of them do still act like kids!

You do realize that half of them prob are kids don't you? There is no rule that says only adults can be collectors.

hmm good point I suppose I never really thought of it still though even if they around 15 + they can do better than that :) You are right though I just figure for the most part people are in there 20s + range if they are on here bothering to post at all!

First of all, I would go back to sleep and dream of all the wonderful nasty things i could do to piss-off those cry-babies who incessantly whine about TBiz's lack of quality control, like using cheaper, rubbery-like plastics, sloppy paint apps, dirty paint washes that often causes wash-lock, over-do articulation by adding more POA, throwing in a comic book (at no extra charge) topping it all off by encasing those lovely POC in traditional clamshell packaging....SO WHAD' YA THINK!!!

Seems like the TBiz crowd aren't the only ones around here who piss and moan about their toys.

I'm mean really, what the heck was TBiz thinking when they went with the decision to make marvel figures as realistic as they appear in print...

Sheeesh! what is this world coming to?

If I were in charge I'd hire So No Tornato and have him produce FA Storm.

:rolleyes: