12" Adventure Team GI Joes on clearance?!

Jack Left Town

Joes,

I don't know when these came in or how long they were there, but I hit my local Wally World everyday on the way to/from work. Today was the HUGE CLEARANCE time, when they reset the shelves and stock. I found a ton of AT Repro Joes for $7 bucks.

I had to buy the "Man of Action" since I never had an original Joe and I heard they were sort of modelled after Gregory Peck. Since I am a huge "Guns of Navarone" fan, I figured, I'd grab one. Now, I have a nice "Keith Mallory, the Human Fly" figure.

Not sure if this is the same all over the country, but it was a great find!

thanks 4 listening,

JLT

Wal Mart tends to sell every toy cheap. the single packs are $1 less than at Target, and the new Sigma 6 figures are only $13 as opposed to $15 everywhere else. this is probably just another example of WM taking advantage of its large orders to get a cheaper price on them and then turning around and beating everyone elses price and not a clearance matter.

Wal Mart tends to sell every toy cheap. the single packs are $1 less than at Target, and the new Sigma 6 figures are only $13 as opposed to $15 everywhere else. this is probably just another example of WM taking advantage of its large orders to get a cheaper price on them and then turning around and beating everyone elses price and not a clearance matter.

I think the AT Joes are Walmart exclusives though, so that doesn't make sense. I'm guessing that they aren't on the new Plan-O-Grams so they are marking them down to get rid of them. Most likely they will be added later, at regular price.

I'd be happy just to see the damn things around here...at all! :(

i found some swapping on these already. oddly i got a sea adventurer in the man of action outfit. i liked it so i got it! :)

also VH check in the ailse i found them on the transformers thing on the way to the toy dept.

TM

That is odd news indeed since I just saw these for the first time a few weeks ago and they are already on clearance? I would think maybe they are going to lowered to that price perhaps? When I saw them they were on a featured end cap.

These have been on sale for just over a week now and theres reports of SOME Walmarts discounting them from the list price of $10. $7 is the reported discount in some stores, and one apparently had them for $5.

Now, APPARENTLY the reason for this is because they are NOT on the planogram for some stores, and that being the case, the department managers don't know what to do with the stuff. So they discount it to move it and get rid of the mystery.

So I'm told.

Its a new product, possibly the first of other AT stuff, and its intended to be a inexpensive repro to get people into the store and to impulse buy via nostalgia.

I'm told its selling quite well--from the fellow collectors I'm chatted/read from over the past week.

The story about the Joes facial sculpt though has a lot of myths. There was a persistent rumour for years, propagated by Hasbro itself that the Head sculpt was comprised of the 25 Medal of Honourholders from WW2--but it is just a myth.

The truth, from the sculptor himself of the original head, is that he used no reference and aimed just to create a "all-American" look--not based on any living, dead/historical ( or fictional) person. The sculptor did say there MAY be a very subtle resemblance to JFK, as he had completed a bust of the late president just before starting the GIJOE job.

One could cite that, or one could cite that the likeness is a bad Gary Lockwood, from the 60's military drama The Lieutenant.

But the actual claim is that they are all wrong--according to the sculptor. GIJOE is just a nobody that we all make into a somebody.

The story about the Joes facial sculpt though has a lot of myths. There was a persistent rumour for years, propagated by Hasbro itself that the Head sculpt was comprised of the 25 Medal of Honourholders from WW2--but it is just a myth.

The truth, from the sculptor himself of the original head, is that he used no reference and aimed just to create a "all-American" look--not based on any living, dead/historical ( or fictional) person. The sculptor did say there MAY be a very subtle resemblance to JFK, as he had completed a bust of the late president just before starting the GIJOE job.

I have the Masterpiece Editions of G.I.Joe, which had the book inside of it G.I.JOE The Story Behind The Legend and it mentioned the JFK influence behind the original head sculpt. I can definitely see the likeness given him...

111gijoeut1.png

You know..

just slap a more poofed up hairdo on that Joe, get rid of the scar, and it could have passed as a JFK 12" action figure in the day.

111gijoekk0.png

The eyes especially, hell the mouth, the crease in the corner, the jawline, nose, ears. I'm thinking it's more than a possibility the Bust of JFK had an influence on the sculpt of G.I.Joe. :)

Yea, I'm inclined to agree that GIJOE has more "parentage" from JFK than just about anyone else--the ey's and mouth shape are notable similarities. Given the kinds of sculpting seen back in the 60's on toys, there's more than a passing resemblance there.

And those Masterpiece Edition figures are, imo, probably some of the best repros done in the long spate of GIJOE repros. Clearly the closest in terms of resembling the original 60 figures.

John Michlig and Done Levine did right by all us fans with those guys!

( irony of ironies, the Masterpiece heads and bodies, from what I understand, were used ONLY on those series figures. When Hasbro went to producing the Timeless Collection stuff, they remade the bodies AND sculpted new heads--which some expert eyes claimed were based on the slightly broader jawed ( and some say more appealling looking) Talker head sculpts.

No-one I know of is clear on why the talker head sculpts were noticeably ( slightly) different, or a why a "different" head head sculpt of the basic JOE was created for them--it just was.

The Timleess heads were used time and again, and became the basis for the CLUB GIJOE offerings.

The original Masterpiece heads have not been seen on any product since because they are PRIVATELY owned--and were licensed by Michlig and Levine ( from Hasbro) to be used in that product.

Its interesting in that of the basic GIJOE soldier head--the vintage look- there's about at least a half dozen different versions of what is essentially the "exact" same headsculpt.

And that is not even near the depths of GIJOE minutae!)

Those 12" Ultimate Soldier weapon series are on sale at Walmart for $5.00. ;)

I got the 12" Adventure Team guy today, the black guy with the chest holster and tan outfit. Walmart had just one, it was $10

I hit another local Walmart just earlier, and still nothing. They had 4 25th Snake-Eyes w/White Timber and 4 Storm Shadows and that was it. Almost the same thing I saw at the Walmart yesterday. @grumpy@

All the aisles are STILL in disarray for the resets which has been like that going on 2 weeks now. How long does that sh@# take anyway? The store is open 24 hrs a day and they've been farting around in the toy depts for 2 weeks?

I wouldn't pay these people much more than minimum wage either for that kind of work ethic. I know someone will probably say you get what you pay for, but is that REALLY how being employed works? Get the job, then only work as hard as ya want, and blame wages for it? @hmmm@

I hit another local Walmart just earlier, and still nothing. They had 4 25th Snake-Eyes w/White Timber and 4 Storm Shadows and that was it. Almost the same thing I saw at the Walmart yesterday. @grumpy@

All the aisles are STILL in disarray for the resets which has been like that going on 2 weeks now. How long does that sh@# take anyway? The store is open 24 hrs a day and they've been farting around in the toy depts for 2 weeks?

I wouldn't pay these people much more than minimum wage either for that kind of work ethic. I know someone will probably say you get what you pay for, but is that REALLY how being employed works? Get the job, then only work as hard as ya want, and blame wages for it? @hmmm@

Same situation at the two Walmarts here Dan. ZERO organization and very little product. One of the stores stocked a case of the 25th singles, a case of the 25th 5-pks, and the S6 Metal Mayhem thing with Snake Eyes. The other store has NO Joes at all and I noticed that the only thing on their Plan-o-gram is the S6 AT sets. No 25th stuff listed.

Also, still NO sign of the 12" AT Joes. @grumpy@

I'm going to be p!ssed if this is some scattered release thing? @grumpy@

I'm past the point of just being a little over anxious and impatient, to being perturbed and concerned now over just getting them at all? :(

Haven't exactly had much access to any of the 25th stuff either, at any of the retail stores, but I'm sure it's minimal stocking and eager collectors getting to them first that's the cause.

Still getting concerned about the Walmarts around here, because nothing shows on the sheets for it and no employee's know anything about it. All this "clearance" talk, makes me think the stores that DID get them are just being told to dump them fast and clear'em out. Recall or defect, what's up with that? ^_^

I know there's a mistake on some of the Air Adventurer figures, and they put the Sea Adventurer outfit on him instead of the Orange jumpsuit he's suppose to have. @hmmm@ Have shown up this way in several Walmarts, as reported by early finds on him.

All the aisles are STILL in disarray for the resets which has been like that going on 2 weeks now. How long does that sh@# take anyway?

A planogram is timed by number of man hours it will take to complete it. i used to set them for a living and i'll tell you what if i had left an area that screwed up and planograms hangin in the deptartment and empty spaces for more the 1 day it would of been my ass!

TM

All the aisles are STILL in disarray for the resets which has been like that going on 2 weeks now. How long does that sh@# take anyway?

A planogram is timed by number of man hours it will take to complete it. i used to set them for a living and i'll tell you what if i had left an area that screwed up and planograms hangin in the deptartment and empty spaces for more the 1 day it would of been my ass!

TM

Well, I definitely have no experience or knowledge on the process for it, having never worked in retail stores like this, but even so, I had to wonder how such a mess, for so LONG would be GOOD for the dept?

I thought about product arriving on time and all that, as maybe an excuse, but if that was the case, why start the prep work and removal process and rearranging, only to leave it that way for weeks? It's ALL the Walmarts around here too, and not just one. Maybe Columbus Walmarts are just plain F-d up? @lol@

I know there's a mistake on some of the Air Adventurer figures, and they put the Sea Adventurer outfit on him instead of the Orange jumpsuit he's suppose to have. Have shown up this way in several Walmarts, as reported by early finds on him.

Nope, you are thinking of the Urban Outfitters offering which was a incorrectly kitted Air Adventurer.

The Walmart Air Adventurer is supposed to be kitted with the orange coveralls with a AT insignia on the left breast. Some have arrived without the insignia and if they are in the Sea Adventurer's outfit, then its likely a swap.

In anycase, if you cannot find them after about another week, they are reportedly going to be available on the Walmart on-line store.

Failing that, there's bound to be hookups still possible, AND they are reported to be coming at some point to Canadian Walmarts too.

I know there's a mistake on some of the Air Adventurer figures, and they put the Sea Adventurer outfit on him instead of the Orange jumpsuit he's suppose to have. Have shown up this way in several Walmarts, as reported by early finds on him.

Nope, you are thinking of the Urban Outfitters offering which was a incorrectly kitted Air Adventurer.

Yeah, I remember you saying something about that, and then I read this post over at JS and the guy has a scan of the other advertisement for the new Walmart AT Joes, and it shows the Air Adventurer in the Sea Adventurer outfit...

http://www.joesightings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5982

He does have another image of them out of the box, from a set of them smuggled out of China or something? He has the Orange jumpsuit on in that one, but damn, how confusing all that is. :(

In anycase, if you cannot find them after about another week, they are reportedly going to be available on the Walmart on-line store.

Failing that, there's bound to be hookups still possible, AND they are reported to be coming at some point to Canadian Walmarts too.

Be kinda nice to take advantage of these "clearance" prices being reported. I've never army built the 12" Joes! @loll@

I finally found these on an end cap in the WalMart in New Milford, CT earlier today. The weird thing is the display unit said there were 4 reproduction figures, and they had the Land, Air, and Sea Adventurer, as well as the African American Joe (which I was dying to get, since i never owned one as a child, so I bought two). They didn't have any Man Of Action figures and it looked like the display unit was only designed to carry the four figures I got. Anyone know what the deal is with this 5th figure??

- Dan