Is Kevin Conroy that big?

El Kabong

Over at AICN.com there is an article with a link to the new DC DTV New Frontier. Not much in the way of footage but some nice tidbits. The voice cast is introduced, with some notables. The first few comments about the trailer are "this sucks with Conroy!" or "no one can be Batman but Conroy!" Is he really that big? Like Peter Cullen big?

He's pretty much THE definitive Batman voice and has been for years.

You'd rather have Rino Romano? Yeesh! The only voice that guy's ever done which didn't sound fake was Eduardo on Extreme Ghostbusters... it's sad his Hispanic voice sounds more natural than his actual speaking voice. He tends to pump too much enthusiasm into it most of the time(which, oddly, Eduardo lacked). Maybe it has something to do with the fact TB's Bruce Wayne looks like ateenage OC pretty buy and not Bruce Wayne... I hate relaunches...

He's pretty much THE definitive Batman voice and has been for years.

You'd rather have Rino Romano? Yeesh! The only voice that guy's ever done which didn't sound fake was Eduardo on Extreme Ghostbusters... it's sad his Hispanic voice sounds more natural than his actual speaking voice. He tends to pump too much enthusiasm into it most of the time(which, oddly, Eduardo lacked). Maybe it has something to do with the fact TB's Bruce Wayne looks like ateenage OC pretty buy and not Bruce Wayne... I hate relaunches...

I thought Jacki Chan was Bats in TB! There will never be a better voice actor for the role of animated Batman than Kevin Conroy! NEVER!

I read my JL/Batman comics imagining his voice as Bats.

I pretty much agree on the topic, but is he as big as some would argue? CAN there be another Batman? Has he reached the mythical status of Peter Cullen/Optimus Prime or Jim Henson/Kermit the Frog or Mel Blanc/Bugs Bunny? When I read a comic book or think about how Batman sounds, Conroy comes to mind but I also hear Christian Bale, and much to my chagrin George Clooney. So while I immediately identify Conroy as Batman and have a hard time hearing anyone else as the character, I do hear Keaton or Kiler or West or Bale or Clooney too. But I always hear Cullen, Henson and Blanc when I think of their respective characters even though others have voiced the character. So, is Conroy SO big that he OWNS the role?

Over at AICN.com there is an article with a link to the new DC DTV New Frontier. Not much in the way of footage but some nice tidbits. The voice cast is introduced, with some notables. The first few comments about the trailer are "this sucks with Conroy!" or "no one can be Batman but Conroy!" Is he really that big? Like Peter Cullen big?

IMO it should be the other way around........Peter Cullen is Kevin Conroy big....he has been the voice of Batman pretty much from 1989 on when Batman:TAS debuted and kicked all form of ass...when it came to animated comic book adaptations. He was also the voice of Batman in Justice League and JLU cartoons.....basically everything Batman animated from 89 till now......with an exception of the newer "The Batman" series.....Cullen was just Prime in the original Transformers series from what I know. It would be different if he was Prime in every animated incarnation and the movie. Plus Conroy's Batman voice would make me pee myself in a dark alley in the middle of the night..... @loll@.....I instantly frowned when I heard that he wasn't the voice of Batman in New Frontier......he IS Batman.

Bigger, my dear friend, much bigger!

As far as the Batmen go...he is the Batman, make no bones about it "."

Personally, I think Cullen's Prime voice is more Icon than Conroy's Batman. The reason is because Cullen was the first Prime while Conroy is like the 3rd Batman. I think Adam West's version of Batman is more iconic to us Americans despite that I prefer Conroy's.

Furthermore, DC have always used different voices for the same character in different continuities for a long time so I am not suprised they didn't get Conroy for Batman. For instance, the BTAS ep with the three different renditions of Batman each had different voices for the bats.

While I think Conroy is the definitive Batman voice, I think DC decides to use differents for different continuities since honestly, for example, I don't think one va of a character will work on a different continuity/elseworld. I mean Conroy's batman does not fit if DC decides to say, use it for the golden age version.

He is that big. When older fans talk about definitive versions of Batman,Kevin is right up there with Adam West.

He certainly has an incredibly recognizeable voice and I've loved him as Batman the whole time (I'me 27 and remember BTAS). Bud Collier was the voice of Superman during the radio days and invented the different tembres of Clark and Superman. For that time he WAS Superman to millions of children. But we hardly remember him today. Most people think of Christopher Reeve, and rightly so since he became Superman, IMO. But what I guess I keep asking is whether or not, in 30 years or more, will we think of Batman as Kevin Conroy? Does he really OWN that character the same way Mel Blance owned the Looney Tunes characters?

When I think of Kevin Convoy I can think of Batman:TAS and it will always be a classic. For die hard fans, they would sure say he IS the definite voice for Batman .

For me, I would say he's a classic but not the definite. I prefer Keaton's Batman voice better. It's more like a personal opinion. You can get different answers from different people you ask. Kevin Convoy, Adam West and Michael Keaton all are good choices for the voice of Batman.

When i read my comics i imagine Conroy's voice in my head. Conroy is Batman. And yes i beleive as well he is at Icon status with those other guys.

So do I. :wub:

When I think of Kevin Convoy I can think of Batman:TAS and it will always be a classic. For die hard fans, they would sure say he IS the definite voice for Batman .

For me, I would say he's a classic but not the definite. I prefer Keaton's Batman voice better. It's more like a personal opinion. You can get different answers from different people you ask. Kevin Convoy, Adam West and Michael Keaton all are good choices for the voice of Batman.

Blasphemy! :D

When I was younger, I actually got to meet Kevin Conroy, he was doing a signing at a Warner Bros. store near me, and surprisingly there wasn't too many people there. We talked, and he did the Batman voice for me, and I loved it. He signed a couple of things, and we were on our way. I don't remember TOO much about it, other than he let me sit on his lap and talk (I was like 7 or 8 when I met him) and Batman TAS was still going on. I have a picture but I don't know where it is, I'll post it if I find it.

But yes, he is the DEFINITIVE voice of Batman/Bruce Wayne, it's the one that comes to mind when I think about it.

Nuff Said