Batman and DCSH at Big Lots

janderson

Hit the local Big Lots tonight looking for those new TF oversized minicon bootlegs. Struck out but I did see a hefty amount of old Mattel Batman and newer DCSH stuff, plus the new kiddie JL line.

Batmans were mostly the deluxe "variant" gimmick Batmans, $7 each. They also had a gimmick Batman and plain Joker 2-pack for $12. Joker looks identical to the old wave 1 version, no gaudy orange pants. Lots and lots of each of these.

DCSH, only saw Mongul, Steel and Cyborg Superman. $9 each. Cyborg surprised me, he JUST came out.

Kiddie JL, just saw Batman, Supes and Flash. $8 each.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big/Odd Lots is part of the same corporate chain that owns KB. Given how poorly KB is doing business and how small their stores are it makes sense they'd shove excess stock of some things to Big Lots. And while they're a haven of bootleg and small offbrand toys, they still seem to stock a good deal of Mattel stuff.

Wonder why these hit Big Lots before the major retailers like TRU, WM, Target, etc...

for one thing its mattel, they did the same thing with motu. anyone remember aldi's? some crappy little out of the way supermarket received the snakmen wave. then mattel had some bs excuse that they were not able to fill orders to the larger stores.

i don't know if this is a good sign or not.

Big/Odd Lots is part of the same corporate chain that owns KB. Given how poorly KB is doing business and how small their stores are it makes sense they'd shove excess stock of some things to Big Lots. And while they're a haven of bootleg and small offbrand toys, they still seem to stock a good deal of Mattel stuff.

Big Lots actually sold KB off years ago. So this has nothing to do with them getting in the new DCSH. They are trying to move away from only being known as "closeout" and trying to become a "real store". They still do buy closeout lots from KB, its just that KB isn't part of the company anymore.

http://mesh.medill.northwestern.edu/mnschi...ements_lea.html

They were once the store that sold only bootlegs and cheap off-brand goods. But they've been trying to build amor ehonest reputation which is why they now get actual lines. Though the only legit TFs they've ever carried were the Universe carded Energon torso bots and Sharkticon, which they couldn't really move.

Checked mine last night, nothing but a single DCSH Scarecrow. :(

Anyone know which case assortments are showing up? It'd be AWESOME to find an Azrael, Robin, Two Face or maybe even Steel so I could catch up on the ones I want.

I also grabbed the Batman/Joker 2-pack. Joker is identical to the old wave 1 version. Batman is "Battle Armor Batman" and is craptacular. Ugly brown/black costume with silver bat. The cape is black cloth even though his cowl and fake cape bit are brown. His utility belt has spikes all around- if he ever bends backwards, he's parylized. The armor is a waste and his one hand weapon would slice the palms of anyone who held it.

$12 for the Joker, really, but he won't have the orange pants of the upcoming repaint. And that'll be $10 on its own anyway.

Hrmm so on a whim I drive a little out my way to the Clinton, TN Big Lots since I keep hearing they may have Cyborg Supes. Well not only did they have him, they had JLU packs, Super Friends packs, A-10 Warthogs, Command Centers and Superhero Showdowns.

I haven't seen this much new stuff in forever...Wal-Marts are bare and the K-Marts and TRU around here arent really busting with new stuff. But BIG LOTS...wow. Here are some pics. Anyone doubting or waiting on this needs to get off their duff and hit the local Big Lots. They may not have anything...but they may just have the motherload. @bounce@

BigLotsScore_001.jpg

BigLotsScore_003.jpg

BigLotsScore_004.jpg

RE: Aldi- Aldi stores managed about a case each of Snakemen(IF THAT). That was it, and not even all stores got them. They got in a cardboard display stand with maybe 12-15 toys and once they sold out, that was it. They were stuff to put near cash registers. They also stocked new movie TF deluxes, but again, not all stores got them(mine did not). A quick check at Wiki shows that while they have a decent worldwide spread for their business, they only have 818 stores currently in the US. Not a lot. Figure they might only negotiate a couple hundred cases/displays worth. Their low operating expenses also allow them to sell stuff cheaper(TFs are advertised at $8 each) though they are a grocery store where you go solely to buy food with non-food goods there in case you might grab it while shopping. Quoting Wiki-

"In addition to its standard assortment, Aldi also has weekly special offers, some of them on more expensive products such as electronics, appliances or computers, usually from Medion. Although not always available, but regularly put up for sale are clothing, toys, flowers, gifts. Specials are only available in strictly limited quantities and for a limited timeframe (one week). In the past some of Aldi's early computer offers were so popular in Germany that all available items sold in only a few hours. These computer products included in 1987, a Commodore 64 home computer pack.[5]"