SDCC Day 2 - Mattel's DC Classics

The Wire

All I can say is...wow. Mattel's DC figures have far surpassed ML as the best superhero figures on the market now. They show that you can have it all: great sculpt, good paint, and good articulation on a 6" figure. The Four Horsemen are tremendous artists.

Hopefully the distribution for this line gets a little less dicey, and I'll be one happy DC fan!

All I can say is...wow. Mattel's DC figures have far surpassed ML as the best superhero figures on the market now. They show that you can have it all: great sculpt, good paint, and good articulation on a 6" figure. The Four Horsemen are tremendous artists.

Hopefully the distribution for this line gets a little less dicey, and I'll be one happy DC fan!

I agree 100%. This line is going to be amazing. ML will have to step up its game.

I also believe I heard that the build a figure waves will only have five figures to buy. If so that is another awesome thing!

This will quickly become my favorite line!

These certainly outdo Hasbro Marvel Legends - especially in paint applications.

I won’t deny that I find the character choices a bit strange though. For finally getting the license to do all of DC’s heavy hitters…I’d have thought Flash, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern (whom every they chose, if not a few Lanterns) would be set for series one or two instantly. But, whether they’re not…they’ll eventually be made - for sure. But another Batman? The Demon? Well, they’re welcome, just I didn’t imagine them being in the initial line up.

Seems from the sneak peak of series 2 I‘d estimate the line up is - Aquaman, Black Manta, Harley Quinn, Firestorm, and Superman Blue.

I won’t deny that I find the character choices a bit strange though. For finally getting the license to do all of DC’s heavy hitters…I’d have thought Flash, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern (whom every they chose, if not a few Lanterns) would be set for series one or two instantly. But, whether they’re not…they’ll eventually be made - for sure. But another Batman? The Demon? Well, they’re welcome, just I didn’t imagine them being in the initial line up.

Seems from the sneak peak of series 2 I‘d estimate the line up is - Aquaman, Black Manta, Harley Quinn, Firestorm, and Superman Blue.

Mattel has the rights to the entire DCU till 2012, why in the world would they wanna rush out all the heavy hitters in the 1st 3 waves?

They already gave us 4 JLers in wave 1 & 2 more coming in wave 2! I love that they have titles these waves the "Classics"! A concept that DCDirect & Mr Brewer could not understand! Well now they can stick their out of scale, 9 POA, Artist themed waves where the sun don't shine!

I would love it if they can give us a wave of just the 5 members of the Crime Syndicate of Amerika & Alexander Luthor as the BAF!

DCSH & the 4HM are gonna blow them out of the water for the next 4yrs!

30 figures a yr, a BAF in every wave & only 5 figures per wave to build the BAF! Great sculpts, comic accurate classic looks, 6' scale & multiple amounts of articulation!

DCSH line rules!

Damn... I think I am going to rethink now about getting back into the line...

Well of course it's wise to stretch the heavy-hitters out...but to start a line out with a bang and put some of these character choices out there does raise an eyebrow.Perhaps Mattel thinks that their Batman/Superman line compensated for getting out some heavy-hitters in the beginning.

I don't know, but to me...I think Mattel will be using that "muscular torso" over-and-over again for several figures...it already looks like Batman and Red Tornado share some parts...no biggie there, but some people might get tired of it.

Well of course it's wise to stretch the heavy-hitters out...but to start a line out with a bang and put some of these character choices out there does raise an eyebrow.Perhaps Mattel thinks that their Batman/Superman line compensated for getting out some heavy-hitters in the beginning.

I don't know, but to me...I think Mattel will be using that "muscular torso" over-and-over again for several figures...it already looks like Batman and Red Tornado share some parts...no biggie there, but some people might get tired of it.

I'm pretty sure that for characters such as the Flash, Blue Beetle & any other heroes /villians that are under 200lbs, the 4HM will be sculpting leaner/thinner bodies.

It makes complete sense to use the same Supes body sculpt for characters that are only 10-20lbs apart

Superman

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 225 lbs.

Batman

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 210 lbs.

Captain Atom

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 200 lbs

Captain Marvel

Weight: 215 lbs

GL (John Stewart)

Height: 6'1"

Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond)

Height: (Firestorm): 6'2" (Raymond): 6'1"

Weight: (Firestorm): 202 lbs. (Raymond): 161 lbs.

Deathstroke

Leaner, slightly smaller sculpt for these body types

Flash (Barry Allen)

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 179 lb.

Flash (Wally West)

Height: 6'

Weight: 175 lbs.

Blue Beetle (Ted Cord)

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 184 lbs.

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

Weight: 186 lb.

GL(Kyle Raynir)

Weight: 150 lb.

GL (Guy Gardner)

Weight: 180 lbs.

Deadshot

Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 193 lbs

They would have to make a bigger/buffer body sculpt for my favorite martian, 6 1\2 scale would be perfect!

Martian Manhunter

Height: 6'7"

Weight: 300 lbs.

Look at the Etrigan sculpt, looks new to me.

In closing, I'm pretty sure the 4HM are chomping at the bit at doing their favorite classic DC heroes/villians & will have no problems sculpting new, different bodies that accurately represent the character as he appears in the comics!

I'm pretty sure that for characters such as the Flash, Blue Beetle & any other heroes /villians that are under 200lbs, the 4HM will be sculpting leaner/thinner bodies.

It makes complete sense to use the same Supes body sculpt for characters that are only 10-20lbs apart

Superman

Batman

Captain Atom

Captain Marvel

GL (John Stewart)

Deathstroke

Flash (Barry Allen)

Flash (Wally West)

Blue Beetle (Ted Cord)

GL(Kyle Raynir)

GL (Guy Gardner)

Deadshot

They would have to make a bigger/buffer body sculpt for my favorite martian, 6 1\2 scale would be perfect!

Martian Manhunter

In closing, I'm pretty sure the 4HM are chomping at the bit at doing their favorite classic DC heroes/villians & will have no problems sculpting new, different bodies that accurately represent the character as he appears in the comics!

Talking about being specific!!!! :)

oh, and yes...CLAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIC AQQQUUAAAAMAAAAANNNNNN!!!!! I SO LOVE THIS LINE. I don`t remember which memebers bashed me when i said dcsh was better line than ML. there ya go!! I like ML, don`t get me wrong, it`s just that is a better line than ML.

I'm looking at my Super Powers Red Tornado and noticed they put theirs in the same iconic pose, can't wait to grab him, far superior to my DC Direct version.

They look good and all but the character selection was weird. Wish they would make a wave based on teams, such us a JLA, JSA, Secret Society, New Gods wave like DCD is doing.

Probably won’t be getting any of them sad to say, unless that Red Tornado and Orion really looks good up close and personal. And if I can find them!! Looking for these figures here in the Philippines is soo hard.

Anyway, based on these figures I’m excited to see how they’ll make Green Lantern (Hal), Wonder Woman and Hawkman!

I think it is good that they are spreadin out the waves. I mean if they do all the big names in consistent waves, it hurts the line imo whereas the cusumers will just buy the big names and skip the 2nd or 3rd tier figures or will stop once collecting the line once they are finish buying all the superheroes from the JL cartoon, for instance.

I also think that is why they don't do team specific waves.

No offense, but in a marketing sense, it would be wise for Mattel to make a big name character as a baf. However, some would get pissed that they have to buy five figures to get a popular character, but it helps rank in the dinero.

I think it is good that they are spreadin out the waves. I mean if they do all the big names in consistent waves, it hurts the line imo whereas the cusumers will just buy the big names and skip the 2nd or 3rd tier figures or will stop once collecting the line once they are finish buying all the superheroes from the JL cartoon, for instance.

No offense, but in a marketing sense, it would be wise for Mattel to make a big name character as a baf. However, some would get pissed that they have to buy five figures to get a popular character, but it helps rank in the dinero.

not for me it wouldn't becuase the BAF is supposed to be someone that we have always wanted that is well bigger than the regular figure, now we can have that more inscale Darkseid, Mongul and Doomsday and new big figures of Kalibak, Solomon Grundy, Lobo, yes Lobo, in the comics he is actually 7.6 ft tall but my issue with the BAF is that they are only making the BAFs 25% bigger which means only up to 7.5", hell Darkseid himself was already 7" when he came out and Mongul was just a tad taller than Darkseid at 7.1". I was really hoping for a BAF concept like Hasbro has for the MLs line. I can understand most fans want to buy less to get more, not in my case. If Mattel could make BAFs like Hasbro is starting to do with wave 4 or Marvel Toys was doing and still is with their waves of Legendary Comic Book heroes then we could have a more comic accurate inscale BAF and can knock out our favorite DC members a hell of a lot faster.

I will still be supporting the line, you can bet on that but still just slightly disappointed in the lower height scale for BAFs when the majority of DC's bigger figures are over 7.5. I'm hoping that the 25% is only in height and not inscale because if they give us a 7.5" Solomon Grundy but looks more inscale, where as I mean bigger body type then what the DCSH Darkseid and Mongul were then I can live with that. :)

Superman

Batman

Captain Atom

Captain Marvel

GL (John Stewart)

Deathstroke

Flash (Barry Allen)

Flash (Wally West)

Blue Beetle (Ted Cord)

GL(Kyle Raynir)

GL (Guy Gardner)

Deadshot

Martian Manhunter

Talking about being specific!!!! :)

oh, and yes...CLAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIC AQQQUUAAAAMAAAAANNNNNN!!!!! I SO LOVE THIS LINE. I don`t remember which memebers bashed me when i said dcsh was better line than ML. there ya go!! I like ML, don`t get me wrong, it`s just that is a better line than ML.

not really on MM, he could utilize the DCSH Bizarro body for a base and actually Etrigan is using the DCSH Bizarro body as the base but I know what you mean I just could not get into the line if all the figures had the same body type. I cannot see my Blue Beetle as the same size as my Classic Batman. It just wouldn't look right, to me.

not for me it wouldn't becuase the BAF is supposed to be someone that we have always wanted that is well bigger than the regular figure, now we can have that more inscale Darkseid, Mongul and Doomsday and new big figures of Kalibak, Solomon Grundy, Lobo, yes Lobo, in the comics he is actually 7.6 ft tall but my issue with the BAF is that they are only making the BAFs 25% bigger which means only up to 7.5", hell Darkseid himself was already 7" when he came out and Mongul was just a tad taller than Darkseid at 7.1". I was really hoping for a BAF concept like Hasbro has for the MLs line. I can understand most fans want to buy less to get more, not in my case. If Mattel could make BAFs like Hasbro is starting to do with wave 4 or Marvel Toys was doing and still is with their waves of Legendary Comic Book heroes then we could have a more comic accurate inscale BAF and can knock out our favorite DC members a hell of a lot faster.

I will still be supporting the line, you can bet on that but still just slightly disappointed in the lower height scale for BAFs when the majority of DC's bigger figures are over 7.5. I'm hoping that the 25% is only in height and not inscale because if they give us a 7.5" Solomon Grundy but looks more inscale, where as I mean bigger body type then what the DCSH Darkseid and Mongul were then I can live with that. :)

Even though you and I would support the line despite whatever the wave assortment is, some may not and having a spread out line would lure those who are only buying the big name figures into getting other named figures while they wait.

I agree that the BAF is a good move for Mattle, but I am not sure if Mattel would do another Darkseid since the one they released is in scale; Just that Turner drew him bigger, which may have caught on. However, it is not bad idea since Mattel can make a turner version, with the new costume and all.

As for Mongul, he too is in scale and perfect as is. The cartoon just made him a lot larger based on the old comic art and the wiki entry that states the difference between the comic and cartoon adaption of the "For the Man Who Has Everything." However, the current Mongul, (the original Mongul's son, which whom I think you meant) would be a great BAF to have. I think he could pull a 9 or 10 inch fig.

Even though you and I would support the line despite whatever the wave assortment is, some may not and having a spread out line would lure those who are only buying the big name figures into getting other named figures while they wait.

I agree that the BAF is a good move for Mattle, but I am not sure if Mattel would do another Darkseid since the one they released is in scale; Just that Turner drew him bigger, which may have caught on. However, it is not bad idea since Mattel can make a turner version, with the new costume and all.

As for Mongul, he too is in scale and perfect as is. The cartoon just made him a lot larger based on the old comic art and the wiki entry that states the difference between the comic and cartoon adaption of the "For the Man Who Has Everything." However, the current Mongul, (the original Mongul's son, which whom I think you meant) would be a great BAF to have. I think he could pull a 9 or 10 inch fig.

yeah I agree that Mattel may lose fans if they wait too long in bringing out the big nine well big seven so I myself am a harcore fan and will make up the money for Mattel, hell, I am already going to purchase at least 10 Penguins with the robot Penguin so I can make an army of Robot Penguins, I have already purchased 4 SDCC Manbats from an online retailer and am purchasing more so I can have an army of Manbats with the regular brown Manbat when he finally comes out and the General aka General Eiling from the Morrison/Porter JLA days and who appeared in the JLU cartoon could pull a 10ft=10" figure, DC Comics Encyclopedia has him at 10ft and I am having one made from a Pitt BAF and actually, yeah I meant Mogul's son who is called Mongul, too and who was drawn way out of proportion by some artist named Jiminez :rolleyes: check back in the Superman 150 and 175, Mongul Jr was inscale then and which the dcsh figure is based on is, according to the DC Comics Encyclopedia 7.9 ft, same height as his Dad was and Darkseid is 8.9 ft and in the old DC Comics Whos Who, Darkseid was 7.6 ft tall, so see he still does warrant a BAF but I guess what I am trying to relate even to myself is that if we get a BAF Kalibak and he is bigger than the DCSH Darkseid or Mongul in height and scale then we have just went to the standards that DCD have which are nill to none when it comes to scale and height and I believe Mattel will have to go back and make Darkseid, Doomsday and Mongul into BAFs because DC does not have all that many bigger characters that can be made into a 7.5" BAF. I can name maybe 20 at the most and that is strectching it. :(

Although, I might be wrong about the size, but from what I have seen in comics and such, the height numbers really don't mean anything. I mean, Thanos was the height of Captain America in the Infinity Gems, but is now drawn to be 9 ft. Also, in the Bryne era, he drew Darkseid much the same size as the DCSH, which I believe the DCSH ver is based off of.

If Mattel decides to make all their villains in accurate scale, then they have to do it to the females and the other figures that are out of scale. I mean Marvel is all over the scale on their figures. For instance, several wolverine figures were made six ft despite the character being 5'3. It isn't feasable to remake all the villains in the DCSH because of height difference unless the size scale is warranted like Apocalypse. The only I can see them redoing is Doomsday simply because he is too small and a lot of ppl have complained about it.

I think Arrow said that the height is just a number, which the artist or in this case, sculptors, do not neccesary have to follow.

As for Mattel have to go back and redo the Doomsdays, Mongul, and Darkseid because of lack of baf figures is doubtful considering that they are making Metamorpho as a BAF, who is listed as 6'1 on various DC sites. Even though he is listed as 6 ft, they are makin it up with interchangeable arms. With that said, Mattel can produce a normal size character like say Plastic Man, but give him interchange limbs that will make him stand taller Just that I think Mattel is using the BAF as a more creative way than Hasbro in simply having larger figures. Besides, if such a thing may happen where they redid the three you mention, you might be happy, but there will be other collectors who would be disappointed in having a BAF figure being a larger scale figure of a toy they already have. It happened before with BAF Apocalypse even though Apocalypse has the ability to turn huge, which is why they made him.

Although, I might be wrong about the size, but from what I have seen in comics and such, the height numbers really don't mean anything. I mean, Thanos was the height of Captain America in the Infinity Gems, but is now drawn to be 9 ft. Also, in the Bryne era, he drew Darkseid much the same size as the DCSH, which I believe the DCSH ver is based off of.

If Mattel decides to make all their villains in accurate scale, then they have to do it to the females and the other figures that are out of scale. I mean Marvel is all over the scale on their figures. For instance, several wolverine figures were made six ft despite the character being 5'3. It isn't feasable to remake all the villains in the DCSH because of height difference unless the size scale is warranted like Apocalypse. The only I can see them redoing is Doomsday simply because he is too small and a lot of ppl have complained about it.

I think Arrow said that the height is just a number, which the artist or in this case, sculptors, do not neccesary have to follow.

As for Mattel have to go back and redo the Doomsdays, Mongul, and Darkseid because of lack of baf figures is doubtful considering that they are making Metamorpho as a BAF, who is listed as 6'1 on various DC sites. Even though he is listed as 6 ft, they are makin it up with interchangeable arms. With that said, Mattel can produce a normal size character like say Plastic Man, but give him interchange limbs that will make him stand taller Just that I think Mattel is using the BAF as a more creative way than Hasbro in simply having larger figures. Besides, if such a thing may happen where they redid the three you mention, you might be happy, but there will be other collectors who would be disappointed in having a BAF figure being a larger scale figure of a toy they already have. It happened before with BAF Apocalypse even though Apocalypse has the ability to turn huge, which is why they made him.

yeah, I hear ya' and it all make sense but look at it this way, we all had a series 1 Bats figure, series 3 comes around on Bat figures and well a new BATMAN, majority bought it, same with Robin and Nightwing, the majority will buy a new Robin or Nightwing because it will be a better figure, same will go for a BAF Doomsday, Mongul and Darkseid, it will be bigger so it will be better and more inscale especially to the other BAFs that will be made and like you said would be business savy. I mean I wouldn't want Mattel to redo Doomsday into a BAF and now my Darkseid and or Mongul is shorter, nope not me and this line even said by Mattel is for the collector and maybe they can come up with more than 20 to utilize as BAFs but without them doing Darkseid as a BAF, then why bother, he will be playing a huge roll in the 52 comics and is secretly one of the main players but as I said I am a harcore fan :D

I can see them doing Plasticman like Metamorpho or any Green Lantern and they could have done Firestorm that way as well and could do some Cold figures as well, Mr Freeze, Killer Frost, she is always using ice to get around and shooting it out her hands. Hey like I said I will support this line 150% but if it comes down to Mattel not redoing Doomsday, Darkseid and or Mongul into BAF then I will just get my friend Calvin Ma from CalsCustoms to whip me up the three using whatever BAF Mattel comes out with that can be ultilized by Cal to make me a custom BAF of Doomsday, Mongul and Darkseid :D

IMO, and from what I hear, it wasn't the 4HM fault that Doomsday came out small, he's the only one that needs to be re-done at the 7'' scale being that he is 7ft tall in the comics.

Darkseid's scale is perfect! He's based on either King Kirby or John Byrne's art scale as seen here & this is perfect as I don't see Darkseid as 9ft tall! Even in the STAS/JL/JLU he was animated as being around the 7ft scale.

Darkseid1.jpg

Darkseid_SupermanComparison_2-1.jpg

DarkseidSupes.jpg

Mongul also is in the perfect scale, I believe his father was the Giant version.

mongulsuperman.jpg

About the only thing I wish Darkseid had , is an Omega effect beam accessory attachment of some sort.

IMO, and from what I hear, it wasn't the 4HM fault that Doomsday came out small, he's the only one that needs to be re-done at the 7'' scale being that he is 7ft tall in the comics.

Darkseid's scale is perfect! He's based on either King Kirby or John Byrne's art scale as seen here & this is perfect as I don't see Darkseid as 9ft tall! Even in the STAS/JL/JLU he was animated as being around the 7ft scale.

Darkseid1.jpg

DarkseidSupes.jpg

Mongul also is in the perfect scale, I believe his father was the Giant version.

mongulsuperman.jpg

About the only thing I wish Darkseid had , is an Omega effect beam accessory attachment of some sort.

uhh well, even in the old DC Comics Whos Who, Darkseid was 7ft6, maybe not 8ft9 but 7ft6 and this costume could have been based on Darkseid in the Hunter/Killer series, he still wears that costume to this day but bottom line for me is that I am a hardcore dc fan, very hardcore and in my eyes if Lobo or Killowog is made into a BAF and towers over Darkseid and or is wider than Darkseid then nope I will have to do something about that on my own that is all I am saying

Darkseid1.jpg

DarkseidSupes.jpg

mongulsuperman.jpg

uhh well, even in the old DC Comics Whos Who, Darkseid was 7ft6, maybe not 8ft9 but 7ft6 and this costume could have been based on Darkseid in the Hunter/Killer series, he still wears that costume to this day but bottom line for me is that I am a hardcore dc fan, very hardcore and in my eyes if Lobo or Killowog is made into a BAF and towers over Darkseid and or is wider than Darkseid then nope I will have to do something about that on my own that is all I am saying

Kilowog is bigger & more massive than Darkseid. He definately rates a BAF.

Height: 8' 3"

Weight: 620 lbs.

I highly doubt he could beat Darkseid, despite his size advantage.

LOBO won't be bigger than Darkseid.