new dcuniverse wave 1

shokker

We are all now Mattel's #$#@#.

Hah! Totally! I'm going as far as saying that these will be and are better then the competing HML's that will be sold simultaneously. Heck, I think the DCSH line already is better then Hasbro’s Legends.

I’m not too worried about the big hitters - there is no doubt in my mind that we’ll eventually get Wonder Woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, and maybe a few Green Lanterns. I’m even hoping for a plastic man. It’s just bizarre to me that we’re not getting a single one in series one…or even series two. But they’d be stupid to not make them, they’re the most wanted - they will be made, it‘s a given.

As for villains - here is my want list:

- SA Joker

- Business Suit Lex

- Ra’s Al Ghul

- Sinestro

- Capt. Cold

- Grundy

- Riddler

I agree that Hulk, IM and Cap are some of Marvel's biggest names. While not Spidey and Wolverine they're still pretty recognizable to the general public. As for the DC Universe wave 2, I think we're not getting a JLA themed wave because it doesn't make business sense. In wave one we have;

Orion

Etrigran (Demon)

Penguin

Red Tornado

campy Bats

In wave two we're getting;

Blue Superman

Firestorm

Aquaman

Harley Quinn

Black Manta

So, in two waves we're getting three of the JLA. Campy Bats and Blue Superman don't necessarily count maybe, but Aquaman certainly does. They're just spacing them out. Don't put all you eggs in one basket? By spacing out the big names, who we all want, Mattel is almost guaranteeing this line will sell at least until we've got the core members of the League. It's a business strategy, no more and no less. Makes count sense to me too. I'm sure Mattel knows there are those of us who have complained about this or that and have posted, "I'm done with this line" or something to that effect. By bringing in the ENTIRE DC Universe they make those stop and take notice. Now they're teasing us with dribs and drabs of a Justice League shelf in the big toy display case. We're all salivating over a Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lanter, Martian Manhunter shelf to stand tall next to Cap, IM, Hulk, Wolverine, Spidey. We are all now Mattel's #$#@#.

Where did you find out about the second wave? The idea of an Aquaman figure to go with my Namor is just too sweet.

I agree that Hulk, IM and Cap are some of Marvel's biggest names. While not Spidey and Wolverine they're still pretty recognizable to the general public. As for the DC Universe wave 2, I think we're not getting a JLA themed wave because it doesn't make business sense. In wave one we have;

Orion

Etrigran (Demon)

Penguin

Red Tornado

campy Bats

Blue Superman

Firestorm

Aquaman

Harley Quinn

Black Manta

So, in two waves we're getting three of the JLA. Campy Bats and Blue Superman don't necessarily count maybe, but Aquaman certainly does. They're just spacing them out. Don't put all you eggs in one basket? By spacing out the big names, who we all want, Mattel is almost guaranteeing this line will sell at least until we've got the core members of the League. It's a business strategy, no more and no less. Makes count sense to me too. I'm sure Mattel knows there are those of us who have complained about this or that and have posted, "I'm done with this line" or something to that effect. By bringing in the ENTIRE DC Universe they make those stop and take notice. Now they're teasing us with dribs and drabs of a Justice League shelf in the big toy display case. We're all salivating over a Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lanter, Martian Manhunter shelf to stand tall next to Cap, IM, Hulk, Wolverine, Spidey. We are all now Mattel's #$#@#.

Where did you find out about the second wave? The idea of an Aquaman figure to go with my Namor is just too sweet.

There are teaser pics of the characters' chest durin the Mattel panel. Cooltoyreview has a pic of it.

Isn't that Joker figure pictured just an older 90's Joker fig?

No, it's a repaint of the Mattel 6" Batman line from a few years ago. This exact repaint was released in limited numbers, mostly in Europe. When the Batman line died, Mattel reworked the designs and the 4H sculpts into the DCSH line (Scarecrow and Bane were originally going to be released as pat of that Batman line). But it seem Mattel still wants to pad their "new" figure assortments with revivals of old figures, like Robin in Wave 3, Superman in Wave 4, and the upcoming Nightwing.

But the base figure is *not* from the 90's. It's just a very bad repaint of the 4Horsemen sculpt from 2003 or so.

Some of you are really dense. You're complaining that the 1st 2 waves aren't JLA saturated! Oh yeah, let's get all the heavy hitters in the initial 3-4 waves & then foer the next 3-4 yrs, people , half that don't even read comics, will be lining up to buy all the 2nd & 3rd tier DCU characters over the 15-20 waves. That makes a whole lot of sense?

Mattel has this license till 2012, they will be doing 5 waves a yr with 5 figs & a BAF per wave. That's over 120 characters, maybe more! I'm more than sure that Mattel & the 4 HM are going to give us all the members of the JL over the next 3-4 yrs, but they will spread them out thoughout the waves, that way they can give us more great classic versions of 2nd/3rd tier characters!

Those of you wanting modern versions can go buy DCDirect's out of scale, 9 POA, artist themed modern versions!

BTW, Reddy is sporting both his 70s classic look & the modern is the variant, or is it the other way around? But he may be the exception & not the rule.

RedTornadovariant.jpg

The name of this line is "CLASSIC" DC universe!

I pray Mattel/4HM can give us classic Vigilante!

08 is gonna be a great yr for us classic DCU fans!

OK now that Mattel has the rights to the entire DCU, the 4HM have got to give us an awesome figure of a character DCDirect totally has ignored for the last 7-8 yrs, Rocket Red!

I drool at the thought of a Rocket Red figure sculpted by the 4HM, look how awesome Steel came out!

Question is, which version? I'm torn between these 2 looks.

Classic

Rocket-red_.jpg

Modern

RocketRedbrigade.jpg

The modern would make for great army building!

Some of you are really dense. You're complaining that the 1st 2 waves aren't JLA saturated! Oh yeah, let's get all the heavy hitters in the initial 3-4 waves & then foer the next 3-4 yrs, people , half that don't even read comics, will be lining up to buy all the 2nd & 3rd tier DCU characters over the 15-20 waves. That makes a whole lot of sense?

Mattel has this license till 2012, they will be doing 5 waves a yr with 5 figs & a BAF per wave. That's over 120 characters, maybe more! I'm more than sure that Mattel & the 4 HM are going to give us all the members of the JL over the next 3-4 yrs, but they will spread them out thoughout the waves, that way they can give us more great classic versions of 2nd/3rd tier characters!

Those of you wanting modern versions can go buy DCDirect's out of scale, 9 POA, artist themed modern versions!

BTW, Reddy is sporting both his 70s classic look & the modern is the variant, or is it the other way around? But he may be the exception & not the rule.

RedTornadovariant.jpg

The name of this line is "CLASSIC" DC universe!

I pray Mattel/4HM can give us classic Vigilante!

08 is gonna be a great yr for us classic DCU fans!

:huh: uhh, no as I said in your thread over on AFI, the Marvel Legends line has always included modern costumes as well and so should the Mattel line of Classic DC characters. ^_^

Reddy wore that same costume up until the Crisis days in DC Comics and the modern version is from his Morrison/Porter JLA days, his most modern costume in Justice League of America comics these days, he wears a blue on yellow trim cape. B)

The line is actually called DCUC, DC Universe Classics which will eventually replace the DCSH DC Superheroes line ;)

I totally agree, 08 and on is gojng to be a great time for us hardcore DC fans :D

I just hope that 4hm still intergrate the comics with the cartoon look on a few characters. I mean if they make a Shade figure, I think it would cool if they based him more on his cartoon look with a pitch of his comic look; no offense, but imo, his comic look is lame compared to his cartoon one.

I also hope that the 4hm will make a black adam fig. That would be cool to get.

Orion

Etrigran (Demon)

Penguin

Red Tornado

campy Bats

Blue Superman

Firestorm

Aquaman

Harley Quinn

Black Manta

I agree that spacin out the big names is wise of Mattel. I mean if they put the big names after big names in the first several waves, then the later waves, with the less known characters will not sale as well, hence a possible end of this series. I mean unlike Marvel, DC has even more obscure characters in which the general public and maybe some comicbook readers may not have heard of.

I love the way these look. Orion looks awesome with the detail in his battle armor and Etrigan is fierce! I don't care if Metamorphoa is statue-esque, he's still cooler than most of the BAF's from ML (Modok, Mojo). Red Tornado looks meh, and so does Penguin. Batman has been working out it would seem, but these are only minor quibbles. So long as Mattel can fix their case ratios and distribution woes, I'll keep buying these guys. How long til WW Chi-Town? I can't wait to see me a blue Superman. I have always wanted one.

Actually, like someone else have said eariler, Metamorpho isn't a statue figure. He is a regular figure like the rest as in having the same points of articulation. He just happens to have a lot of additional accessories. Think Sandman from the SMC or the SM3 line.

172.jpg

As you can see, red torrando comes with both arms and with two attatchments (one of which looks like a gun or his foot in a clear base.) Looks like he has a normal hand under that big mallet considering that it is probably like his other arm (Orion comes with the lava hand) and seeing that you can tell on the 2up? pic here:

052.jpg

So I guess he comes with two larger hands and two transforming feet to be inserted into his normal limbs.

I am happy they did Metamorpho this way. I mean I can have him lookin normal with my other toys or have him with his transforming limbs and such.

If retail cost remains the same, I think Mattel offers for more bang for your bucks as oppose to Hasbro. I mean the paint aps are better and we get a BAF that has accessories. I guess Mermorpho can be compared to annihlius(sp?) where as it is a 5 inch figure. However, unlike Annihilius, Mermopho appears to require only 5 figures (Batman for the leg, Penguin for the torso with head included, Red Torrando for the arms and two attatchments, Orion for an attatchment, and Demon for the leg though I do not know who comes with one of the final leg attatchments )

Because of Metamorpho, I wonder if Penguin's Penguin (displayed as a two up next to two up Penguin) have gotten the axe.

you are over 95% correct on Metamorpho except he will only come with one leg BAF accessory and two for his arms the clear attachment you see by Reddys foot is a whirlwind attachment for Reddy ;)

It was mentioned over on AFI that Firestorm in wave 2 will have a atomic burst attachment for his arm just like in the comics of old :)

I cannot wait until WWC to see pics of wave 2 and see what BAF will be shown for wave 2 and the variants, can't forget the variants now, with variants we are actually getting an additional figure in each wave as well :D

I picked the BAF would be Plasticman, Mattel and 4 Horseman would just have to tweak the BAF attachments some and also maybe sculpt a new leaner body for Plasticman and the variant would be either Aquaman, with the long hair, beard and harpoon for a left hand or it will be the modern Firestorm Jason Rausch, with a tweaked costume and different face sculpt :)

or Mattel could go the very rude cheap way and just repaint the blue Superman red and throw in some hyenas for Harley like they did for Penguin and had him as a variant with a robot Penguin :unsure:

Look at wave 1 of ML if you can remember that far you had IM, Toad, Hulk, Cap, and i think there was one more, but even there you didnt have your "BIG" names in there. When i say big i mean popular. So im glad they are doing this this way, that just means they are gonna sweeten the pot all the more along the way!

Hulk, Iron Man, and Capt. America aren't heavy hitters in your world? They're not Spider-Man or Wolverine...but common...those are three of Marvels biggest and most well known character - especially Hulk. You can't say that for Orion, Metamorpho, The Demon, and Red Tornado. Plus they've been trying to acquire the license for SO long to specifically diversify the line, and then they get it...and don't give us the obligatory in the first wave (Flash, Lantern, Wonder Woman, MMH)? It's just kind of odd to me, but forgive my questioning...the figures are still amazing and welcome characters - strange choices for first wave or not.

EH... maybe... I still think half the people out there only like cap cause hes dead & ironman has only been gaining on popularity the past couple of years or so mainly I think due to the civiil war as well... But other wise face it ... these guys were chumps no one cared about for the most part. Heck I didn't like them at all till new avengers & mighty avengers & eds run of cap is the only reason I like cap at all! I've been with it since the #1 came out...

I have no real love of ironman anymore thoug I started to like him during TNA but now hate his guts :P

& also I don't think ML really picked up as much as it did untill wave 4-5 maybe even wave 6ish... & it picked up then because it started using more popular characters I think ... I think indeed it would have been foolish for mattel to use up the main 5 ish or whatever dc people in the first batch but they didn't have to use complete zeros either :P

I just hope that 4hm still intergrate the comics with the cartoon look on a few characters. I mean if they make a Shade figure, I think it would cool if they based him more on his cartoon look with a pitch of his comic look; no offense, but imo, his comic look is lame compared to his cartoon one.

This is a "classic" line base on their "classic" looks! You want a cartoon version of Shade, Mattel already made him in the JLU animated line.

In case you weren't aware, this is gonna be a collectors specific line , not a toon line geared towards the below 10yr olds.

Also, I may be wrong, but I just don't see the Shade as a must do figure in their initial waves. Maybe in wave 20, when they've gotten alot of the more popular villians done.

If this is his currect look, you can see that he's gonna be on their must do list anytime soon.

TheShade.jpg

Regardless of not being a popular character, he did have some screen time on jlu. BTW, the cartoon seems to be targeted to a higher demographics considering the hidden sexual innuendo. I mean sure Mattel wil probably not opt to make him, but all I saying is that I hope they would and not they will. Isn't not a crime to dream that 4hm will make a better looking Shade figure that is based on the cartoon? I mean I see me wanting such a toy no different than my pal synch wanting a Sinistro in the GL uniform by the four horsemen. I find your comment to me quite condescending and belettling.

In case you have forgotten, the Mattel DCSH line has intergrated cartoons, comics, and their unique style in their toyline. I don't remember the Penguin's Penguin looking like the classic toy. I think the classics name is merely a name that includes other superheroes other than Batman and Superman. I mean if you think about it, a true classics line wouldn't sell well to the more modern crowd. The name classics is probably means much the same thing as legends in Marvel Legends.

Besides, I don't recall Blue Superman to be a classic and isn't Harly Quinn a bit too new to be considered a classics.

i predict that the DCSH will either get a name change or quitely die seeing how the majority of figures are repaints or repackaged figures.

Lastly, seeing how I was made a fool on my account in regards to Darkseid's size, I doubt I will take your size scale as truth ever again.

Regardless of not being a popular character, he did have some screen time on jlu. BTW, the cartoon seems to be targeted to a higher demographics considering the hidden sexual innuendo. I mean sure Mattel wil probably not opt to make him, but all I saying is that I hope they would and not they will. Isn't not a crime to dream that 4hm will make a better looking Shade figure that is based on the cartoon? I mean I see me wanting such a toy no different than my pal synch wanting a Sinistro in the GL uniform by the four horsemen. I find your comment to me quite condescending and belettling.

Sorry you took what I said too seriously. Understand that I don't want this line turning into a cartoony wave, that's what the JLU line is for. I don't know why that's so hard to understand. Didn't mean to belittle you at all.

In case you have forgotten, the Mattel DCSH line has intergrated cartoons, comics, and their unique style in their toyline. I don't remember the Penguin's Penguin looking like the classic toy. I think the classics name is merely a name that includes other superheroes other than Batman and Superman. I mean if you think about it, a true classics line wouldn't sell well to the more modern crowd. The name classics is probably means much the same thing as legends in Marvel Legends.

I've forgotten nothing. The DCSH line I'm talking about in specific, is the 6'' scale line. I am no fan of the Superman Blue/Red storyline & actually stopped collecting it during that story arc. But I'll buy it if the BAF is someone I really want. Harley's Joker's girl & a Bat villian & very popular due to her exposure in BTAS/TNBA & crossing over into mainstream DC comics. Again, will buy her only if BAF is great.

You say: a true classics line wouldn't sell well to the more modern crowd.

Cool, then DCDirect is your cup of tea, they only like doing flavor of the month costumes or figures based on current storylines.

I believe Mattel & the 4HM are specifically targeting this line for the classic DCU collectors & the modern collectors are welcome to buy as well, if not, buy DCDirect.

i predict that the DCSH will either get a name change or quitely die seeing how the majority of figures are repaints or repackaged figures.

I highly doubt they're gonna change the name of the line. Orion, Etrigan, Metamorpho & Red Tornado are repaints/repackaged? Coulda fooled me.

Lastly, seeing how I was made a fool on my account in regards to Darkseid's size, I doubt I will take your size scale as truth ever again.

How were you made a fool? What about Darkseid's hgt?

I also hope that the 4hm will make a black adam fig. That would be cool to get.

doom saber, you know I think they will, look at Clayface and Manbat, both have some animated look to them and DC loved the idea so I can almost bet we will see some of your favorites in animated form incorporated into the designs and the 4HM are very eager to do Capt Marvel so I would almost bet the villian would be Black Adam

Orion

Etrigran (Demon)

Penguin

Red Tornado

campy Bats

Blue Superman

Firestorm

Aquaman

Harley Quinn

Black Manta

heh, these first two waves are so JLA/Justice League of America themed it is almost silly,

The only characters out of the first two waves that are not is

Penguin

Black Manta

Harley Quinn

the Demon Etrigan

But see Mattel, with these two waves alone is covering like 8 different themes,

JLA/Justice League of America

Batman

Superman

Villians

Variants

Obscure characters