HML 4, Fantastic Four pics are...

So No Tornato

...totally underwhelming...

To those of you who like them...well, all I can say is, you're easily impressed. There's maybe 2-3 good figures in those 2 waves...the rest are crap.

If this is what HASBRO has in store for this line, it'll be dead in a year.

Can you say "HELLO, MARVEL TOYS""???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is best to see if the line will really die in a year and Marvel Toys will be dominant in the superhero toy lines with their LCBH series. I mean do the fans really care about washes and such to switch over to a line with characters they never heard of before. This seems like an interesting thing to keep an eye on.

Will paint washes and other bells and whistles will ruin Hasbro's ML line or will obcsurity and plsatic rubberlness will destory's Marvel Toys LBCH series? Only the dinero used to buy either toy line will determine that. LOL

no, the articulation is making the figure bad. And not just because they don't have as much articulation, but because they have UGLY articulation.

of the FF figures:

Mr Fantastic - looks okay.. I just don't like his knees. I hope he has some sort of normal body to him... but its not all that necessary

Invisible Woman - BAD- bad face, bad costume choice, ugly articulation. Will there ever be a good Sue Storm figure?

Thing - looks pretty interesting, but pretty crunchy too... some pics have him very orange.. and he looks like a cheeto.

Johnny- looks okay.. but his legs are funky... maybe the thigh is too long and the knee too low?

Surfer - not much to complain about... yet. But he doesn't knock my socks off either

Doom - I wanted another because I feel the Toybiz one is kinda scrawny.. but this one doesn't improve on that issue too much. He may be better though, I can't tell yet... he is not a bad figure from what I can see.

Moleman - he is too stylized, and kinda crappy.. I like the SHS version better

Namor - this one makes me sad. He sucks! BAD articulation (no waist, no bicep swivel, ugly Hasbro knees and elbows) His anles are all swollen because they attached the wings to the wrong part, and his face is crappy too.

Ronan - looks pretty dang nice. But I don't see any reason why he is a BAF. And, I think Toybiz would have made him 5 times better.

so.. that leaves me with 2 figures I might want to buy.. and a BAF I will have to buy 6, maybe 8, figures I don't want to get.

oye Toybiz... save me from the huge dissappointment that is Hasbro

I think they are warming up. I can't say for sure until I see them but I still might get some of em

Hopefully more people agree w/ you haters and I can get the ones I want easier. I anticipate seeing a lot of Beasts clogging the pegs. Namor too if they keep his kankles...

I'm both sorry and happy to see that people agree with me. Sorry because it validates my opinions; happy because...well, because it validates my opinions.

Here's my take:

HML 4:

Black Bolt: About time...and, he looks nice. I would have preferred the white-eyed version (a la' Kirby), but it's a minor point.

Nova: Not bad. I'm pleased that they used the 70's version, and I don't mind that the body is recycled,a s it seems to fit. And I like the metallic blue sheen. But overall, the paint-apps still seem a little flat.

Tigra: Big disappointment. I love this character, and was excited that she would be made. Unfortunately, she seems to be in the mold of HASBRO's female LEGENDS...to thin, over-simplified paint-apps, minimal detailing, and dumb-looking joints.

Tim Bradstreet Punisher: Honestly, was ANYONE asking for this figure?? Anyone??? Did we need anotheer Punisher. BORING...and kind of dumb-looking, too. I guess HASBRO wanted to recycle their ICONS molds...swell...can you say "Pegwarmer"??

Yellow Daredevil: Not bad...but his head looks a bit small. It's a ice addition to my silver-age LEGENDS, so OK.

Cat-Beast: Uggh. I hate this character...but I acknowledge that many do like him, so I understand why he was chosen. He's kinda' funny-looking...I envision replacing his head with one from the XMC line..

BAF NEMESIS: Good character selection, but I must say...WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH HIS HEAD?!?!?!? That doesn't look like any NEMESIS I remember...is this an actual, updated look?? Piss-poor execution..just plain dumb.

On the plus side, we only need 6 figs to construct the BAF...if you want that dopey-looking NEMESIS...

FANTASTIC FOUR:

Namor: Those knees...uggh! Sorry, but I just can't get past them...they're horrible...they ruin an otherwise good sculpt. Although the head looks a tad small...

Doctor Doom: Seriously...did we NEED another Doctor Doom? In all honesty, I say "NO". His look has hardly changed in 40 years...what's wrong with the ML 2 DOOM??? Another shrunken ICONs mold...swell...

Mole Man: I like him...and I'm actually glad that they didn't let articulation ruin the sculpt. He looks like Mole Man from FF # 1. Well done.

Silver Surfer: Another Surfer???? 'Nuff said...

The Thing: Another Thing??? I realize you can't really do the FF without the core characters, but still...another one? On the plus side, the sculpt is good, if a tad over-detailed...and another puny head.

Johny Storm: Decent sculpt, and good idea...but it's another shrunken ICONs mold. Still, not bad...

Sue Storm: Nice head sculpt. Terrible body Sculpt. Terrible costume choice. Blech!!!

Reed Richard: Finally, a good Reed head-sculpt! And I definitely appreciate the concept. I'm wondering how they'll fit him in the box, though...this will probably be my default Reed for display.

BAF RONAN: I love this character, so awesome choice. And the sculpt looks good. If I had to criticize anything, I'd say only two things. First, I would have preferred his original Kirby-esque costume...but that's a minor issue. Secondly, his face just doesn't look menacing...RONAN should look angry...or at least grim...he kinda' looks like a Superhero Squad guy...

Overall, I'd only give HASBRO a "C-". The bad is these two waves is really bad, and hurst the good.

It would have been nice to see TOY-BIZ execute these figs.

**Note: The 6" Spiderman 3 movie figs are, in my opinion, so bad as to be beneath contempt...so I'm not even going to discuss them...

The Holocaust figure looks a little misleading since his "bubble" canopy (helmet) was raised. Obviously there's hinge that allows this "open" position. I would like to see the photo of it in the normal "closed" position. The Thing looks grossly overdone and the head looks like a rehash of the House of M version that makes him look like a 'chump'. Daredevil looks great, hopefully they make a 'red variant'. Doc Doom only looks like a marginal improvement over the ToyBiz version, not enough for me to open my pocketbook. Silver Surfer looks great but I will have to cannibalize some other figures to give him 'articulated' hands and 'magnetize' him to his board. Namor is passable, if only to get one for completists. Brood Queen is unremarkable and looks like a enlarged roach. Black Bolt could have used the 'Kirby' eyes. Overall, some hits and misses. Rather disappointed that Ororo Storm did not show up for her 'First Appearance'.

SM3 = MEH, well except Black Spidey and New Goblin, but i love pretty much most of HML4 and FF, in fact i dare say thats the best Sue yet(best head sculpt also)

Thing? WOOOT, they better release a blue and black version or i'll get an extra and do it myself.

While i'm not a fan of the already stretched out Reed look the head sculpt is by far the best Reed head sculpt done yet and i'll pop it off and put it onto my ML5 Reed's body.

I like Johnny but something does seem off about him, not sure what it is though, hopeing for a flamed on version myself.

Namor looks perfect except for maybe the feet, everything else is fine(i'm sorry but Hasbro's articulation just doesn't look as bad as ya'll seem to think, in some cases it actually looks better then double joints)

Doom looks great, hope the cape and suit is made of soft rubber like plastic so his hips won't be to restricted.

Mole Man looks just like he should, serious, scarred etc etc, and while he doesn't have super artic it appears to be enough for the character.

And Surfer is just soooooooooooo much better then the ML5 version in looks, he's serious looking instead of well i dunno how to decribed ML5's head sculpt, but this is Surfer.

And Ronin looks darn good also, not classic Ronin but thats ok i like his Annihilation duds better anyway.

On to HML4

AXM Beast is ok, not a real big fan of Cat Beast, only thing he needs is a quick black/dark blue paint wash.

Black Bolt looks pretty good, could be better but good enough.

Nova needs to have his eyes in the helmet completely white, but i can add a few coats of super glue into those parts and then a coat of white paint to get the right look.

Punisher is kinda meh, but i'm kinda biased anyway, i've only really cared for Punisher when he looked like TB ML4 Punisher(thats just the definitive Punisher to me)

FA DD looks great except that the neck might be a little long or the head a little small, not sure which(prolly the neck) hipe he gets a red variant.

Tigra looks great, on her i'd prefer double joints so she could be as agile as she should be but she looks GREAT so i don't mind to much(oh and So No Tornato, TB started the to thin female bodies when they released Psylocke Wasp and Spider-Woman, Hasbro's just continuing the trend and apparently so is TB since Witchblade looks worse then any of those others i mentioned, yet Sue isn't to bad, weird)

What they NEED to do is shrink the Icon Phoenix body to 6 inch scale and just use it for most girls :P

Well I think they're great. Best character selection yet and thats the most important thing (followed by articulation unfortunately) My biggest piss off is Silver Surfer not being able to make a fist, that's a huge deal (same thing black bolt) I'll be preordering them as soon as the option is available and buy every single figure.

Pretty impressive selection for HML4, I didn't know Tigra was gonna be in the lineup! Cool, another classic Avenger for my collection. Was totally caught off guard with Nemesis being the BAF!

The entire FF wave is awesome IMO! Great re-dos of Doom & Surfer! I pray that Thing is in the 6' scale & not 7"! Reed & Sue look great. Not too crazy about non fire Johnny, hopefully we'll get a fully flamed on version.

Namor is awesome & Moleman is cool as well, why people are whining about his POA is beyond me, he's not an acrobat, & the amount they give him is more than enough.

Ronan rocks! Hopefully in the 7''-8'' scale

Hgt 7'5 (with armor)

wght 480lbs (with armor)

Superhuman strength, he has shown the ability to press at least 60 tons.

Superhuman endurance, speed and reflexes;

The ability to adapt to hostile environments;

Increased intelligence;

A keen, tactical mind;

Superior combat skills.

In addition, Ronan has worn a cybernetic suit of armor that enhances his natural abilities. The armor can generate electrical charges and allows the wearer to cryogenically freeze a target. Ronan also uses a blaster and wields a cosmic-rod, a weapon which allows the user to control cosmic energy through mental command.

Ronan has mentioned on several occasions that the power is in him and not the hammer, which implies that he's in possession of matter/energy manipulation abilities and channels them through the hammer. After breaking his hammer on Ravenous' face, he was still capable of firing streams of energy and such.

I thinkhasbro should be shrinking their icons molds, they`re so great!!! just look at that DARk Phoenix!!! I`m totally supportive of the shrinking idea.

Icons shrunk so far, and look great:

Punisher

Silver Surfer

Doctor Doom

FA Daredevil

Figs that should be shrunk: Dark Phoenix, DD, Nightcrawler, Colossus.

Most ML legends look good, but i still can`t stand Hasbro`s new art.

SM3: Unleashed: sandman and both spideys are great.

I think you whiners should go collect Barbie's. Well maybe not, you guys would probably #$#@# about those also. "Her hair doesn't feel real" "I wanted higher heels on her" "The selection of Ken dolls doesn't look like me, WAHHHH". Seriously you guys just keep clogging up the boards with your anti Hasbro sentiments. You don't like them, then stfu and go collect something else. You guys are massive babies and just can't stop bitchin. Other stuff out there awaits for you to go collect....

I'm really pleased with all the marvel product we're seeing. The only complaints that I have are related to particular character choices - but I can't fault them for not catering the line directly to my personal figure wants. The FF figures in particular look really good.

I think you whiners should go collect Barbie's. Well maybe not, you guys would probably #$#@# about those also. "Her hair doesn't feel real" "I wanted higher heels on her" "The selection of Ken dolls doesn't look like me, WAHHHH". Seriously you guys just keep clogging up the boards with your anti Hasbro sentiments. You don't like them, then stfu and go collect something else. You guys are massive babies and just can't stop bitchin. Other stuff out there awaits for you to go collect....

Yup, it's boarder line spamming the boards with repetitive banter. You all know who you are!

I started to stop caring what other ppl thinkgs of the line and just buy what I want to buy. If you guys hate company A or B, that is your problem, not mines. just means that there will be less competition for me to get the toys I want. It is like you guys have to make some spite club.

As I said eariler, it would be interesting to see if the prediction of Hasbro ML line will die within a year just because of articulation and washes. True, Hasbro cut more corners than the next company, but unforunately to some, they are the 2nd leading toy makers in the nation. Also, even though I don't like some of the new knee articulation, at the end of the day, they are just toys. I am not going to cry up a river and blame Hasbro that they raped the last 5 years I have been collecting ML just because of new articulation. If I don't like it, I will most likely make a custom. I think that is the best thing to do since nobody knows how well the other person's perference is, other than their own; there is an old saying that goes "If you want something done right, do it yurself." Who to say that Hasbro's ML line will be cancelled after one year other than it seems that it is one person wishes for it as revenge for taking up the license.

Honestly, even though the LCBH retains the paint aps and designs of Toybiz's ML line, who to say they will last a long time? The difference between the toy lines is that less ppl know who Savage Dragon, Witchblade, Judge Dread is compared to the other Marvel characters. Furthermore, judgin from the past attempts of non DC/Marvel comic toys, the other lines didn't do so well in retail. One is also forgetting that these toylines no longer have the toybiz logo, but rather, the new Marvel toys one. Wonder if that will affect some collector's decision in buying a toy from a toy company they believe they never heard of before. However, as JayC said on another thread, the Marvel toys logo can help sell the figures since some collectors may get confused and believe that the LCBH are an extension of Marvel or something.

I plan to collect some LBCH, but because there are so many other lines out there, just the ones l want like Conan vs wrarrl, judge Dread, the Darkness, etc..

So it is interesting to see what happens, but this bickering is foolish imo. Let ppl enjoy what they like rather than shoving your own damn opinions down their throats. Calling them names just because they like one company just seems wrong unless they seem deserve it by bashing the other line, biassly. hehe

If you are just bashing the line just to get some followers or some security from other members that you have the same interest, go make a fanclub or get a GF or whatever. These are just freakin toys and not nothing more. I find it funny that some ppl bash a line so that they can be loved by other members.

I already have the new LCBH series and BAF Pitt and it looks so awesome!! He dwarfs the Hulk big time. I can't wait for them to do Image Comics' Caitlin Fairchild (their counterpart to the She Hulk) and Spartan (sort of their universe's Cyclops) and Battalion (their Cable counterpart). I don't mind posing them alongside my other Marvel figures as they are of the same scale. Paint applications are very compatible and make them look just like they jumped out of the comic books. Welcome Marvel Toys! Good counterpoint to the the monopoly of DC and Marvel. Show 'em how to do it the right way!

Will Toybiz have access to Spartan and the other WildC.A.T.s? I don't know the licensing arrangement between Wildstorm and DC concerning figures of their characters. I would definitely pick up a few of those. Grifter, Zealot, BAF Fuji would kick ass! But it's a bit premature to speculate about those kinds of things. Don't assume that LCBH automatically equals (current or former) Image figures. Some good points have been made concerning LCBH vs HML. Sadly, I think it will be tough for Toybiz to sustain a recognizable cast of characters after three or four waves. The casual consumer will be more interested in buying Marvel characters than 10 year old Image characters that were in books with minimal print runs. Average collectors don't know for bubkes about "paint washes" and articulation. Only people who hang out in chatrooms about action figures all day care about that kind of stuff. And even then, only half ( and I'm being generous) of those people complain about said paint and articulation. Hasbro's Legends line will NOT go under in a year. They are in a learning curve, trying to improve on the line, while saving some money. It doesn't always work, but these are hardly disgusting figures. Except for a couple of the female figures, I have been satisfied with HML up until now.

Understand this; Hasbro paid Marvel a HUGE amount of money for a several year long licensing deal. Multi millions of dollars. They aren't going anywhere. No amount of your endless complaining about what used to be and what is now is going to change that. Hasbro makes Marvel figures. Deal with it. Nobody at Marvel and or Hasbro is going to go "Ohmigod! We made a huge mistake! Toybiz is going to start making Marvel figs again next year!!" Believe me, I was as pissed as anyone when I heard the news. But some of your complaining is just insipid, like you are complaining just to complain. You complain about Hasbro's subpar articulation, then turn around and complain about them using Toybiz's "superior" articulation to reissue figures with different paint aps and heads. So which is it? Does reusing figures suck or does entirely new figures suck?

And what amazingly original pose do you have every single one of your figures standing in that it can only be expressed with this superior Toybiz sculpting? Most of my guys are just standing in vaguely heroic poses. And with limited shelf space, sometimes they are just standing in a crowded arms at the sides pose. Beng past the age of 12, I don't routinely have big battles with my dollies requiring the use off all 44 pts of articulation.

Finally, most people can't just CUSTOMIZE a figure any ol' time they want. I hate that some of you find that an acceptable alternative to someone's criticism of a figure is "If you don't like it, make a better one..." WHAT? Who wants to go through the process of buying several clearance figures and kit bashing them in order to find the perfect sculpt, then going through the tediousness of epoxy sculpting and finally painting it all. Any step of the way, making a mistake and having to start from scratch. Finally having a subpar figure sitting on your shelf, only to have them announce that a REAL one will be coming out in six months. If we did a time honored "Unscientific Internet Poll" about who does customizing, I would say less than 10% of collectors have ever done any real customizing, and probably less than 1% TOTAL make final products that don't suck paint of a house. It's just not a realistic acceptable alternative to argue.

Hasbro FF first photos were underwhelming. A closer look confirmed what I suspected. The sculpts look too cartoonish, especially for The Thing, Sue Storm, and Namor. Is this based on the animated series?? I will only get SSurfer since he's an improvement over the TB version. The Thing's body sculpt looks ok but the head is a undersized and has a severe case of overbite (don't know if they were doing the cartoon version or copied the House of M head . . . minus the collar). Hope they can rectify that situation. Series 2 Ben Grimm is still the quintessential version IMO. Ronan, I feel lacks some of the depth and detail in his costumed garb that I'm used to seeing on other BAFs. Again lack of paint washes might be the suspect. Overall, this gives him a cold, doll look ( look at the facial expression) instead of an action figure. His hammer? needs to have a metallic wash that can make it look real heavy and massive.

I'm both sorry and happy to see that people agree with me. Sorry because it validates my opinions; happy because...well, because it validates my opinions.

Here's my take:

HML 4:

Black Bolt: About time...and, he looks nice. I would have preferred the white-eyed version (a la' Kirby), but it's a minor point.

Nova: Not bad. I'm pleased that they used the 70's version, and I don't mind that the body is recycled,a s it seems to fit. And I like the metallic blue sheen. But overall, the paint-apps still seem a little flat.

Tigra: Big disappointment. I love this character, and was excited that she would be made. Unfortunately, she seems to be in the mold of HASBRO's female LEGENDS...to thin, over-simplified paint-apps, minimal detailing, and dumb-looking joints.

Tim Bradstreet Punisher: Honestly, was ANYONE asking for this figure?? Anyone??? Did we need anotheer Punisher. BORING...and kind of dumb-looking, too. I guess HASBRO wanted to recycle their ICONS molds...swell...can you say "Pegwarmer"??

Yellow Daredevil: Not bad...but his head looks a bit small. It's a ice addition to my silver-age LEGENDS, so OK.

Cat-Beast: Uggh. I hate this character...but I acknowledge that many do like him, so I understand why he was chosen. He's kinda' funny-looking...I envision replacing his head with one from the XMC line..

BAF NEMESIS: Good character selection, but I must say...WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH HIS HEAD?!?!?!? That doesn't look like any NEMESIS I remember...is this an actual, updated look?? Piss-poor execution..just plain dumb.

On the plus side, we only need 6 figs to construct the BAF...if you want that dopey-looking NEMESIS...

FANTASTIC FOUR:

Namor: Those knees...uggh! Sorry, but I just can't get past them...they're horrible...they ruin an otherwise good sculpt. Although the head looks a tad small...

Doctor Doom: Seriously...did we NEED another Doctor Doom? In all honesty, I say "NO". His look has hardly changed in 40 years...what's wrong with the ML 2 DOOM??? Another shrunken ICONs mold...swell...

Mole Man: I like him...and I'm actually glad that they didn't let articulation ruin the sculpt. He looks like Mole Man from FF # 1. Well done.

Silver Surfer: Another Surfer???? 'Nuff said...

The Thing: Another Thing??? I realize you can't really do the FF without the core characters, but still...another one? On the plus side, the sculpt is good, if a tad over-detailed...and another puny head.

Johny Storm: Decent sculpt, and good idea...but it's another shrunken ICONs mold. Still, not bad...

Sue Storm: Nice head sculpt. Terrible body Sculpt. Terrible costume choice. Blech!!!

Reed Richard: Finally, a good Reed head-sculpt! And I definitely appreciate the concept. I'm wondering how they'll fit him in the box, though...this will probably be my default Reed for display.

BAF RONAN: I love this character, so awesome choice. And the sculpt looks good. If I had to criticize anything, I'd say only two things. First, I would have preferred his original Kirby-esque costume...but that's a minor issue. Secondly, his face just doesn't look menacing...RONAN should look angry...or at least grim...he kinda' looks like a Superhero Squad guy...

Overall, I'd only give HASBRO a "C-". The bad is these two waves is really bad, and hurst the good.

It would have been nice to see TOY-BIZ execute these figs.

**Note: The 6" Spiderman 3 movie figs are, in my opinion, so bad as to be beneath contempt...so I'm not even going to discuss them...

I would like to note that it appears Hasbro put much more attention detail in sculpting into their 5" Spidey line rather than the 6" line with multiple versions of Venom, Sandman and Spiderman. What a rather quirky decision. These ones doesn't hold much compared to the old Spider-Man 6" lines.

Yup, it's boarder line spamming the boards with repetitive banter. You all know who you are!

I think constructive critiscm is needed, i've put alot of time and money into my colection and when any company tries to sell me a piss poor product yea I'm going to tell them what I think, the original photoshopped ff pics blew me away I thought they looked great but looking at the undoctored photos on marvelous news it's the same old, dumbed down articulation and new articulation where none was needed and the ff's suits don't even match johnny has a gloss that looks like leather while reed thing and sue have flat blues also the original photoshopped thing looked amazing but if the figure looks anything like the sdcc pics then I'll sadly have to pass on the whole line perhaps figures as a whole, a company should take pride in what they do and I can tell you from experience hasbro does not

I think constructive critiscm is needed, i've put alot of time and money into my colection and when any company tries to sell me a piss poor product yea I'm going to tell them what I think, the original photoshopped ff pics blew me away I thought they looked great but looking at the undoctored photos on marvelous news it's the same old, dumbed down articulation and new articulation where none was needed and the ff's suits don't even match johnny has a gloss that looks like leather while reed thing and sue have flat blues also the original photoshopped thing looked amazing but if the figure looks anything like the sdcc pics then I'll sadly have to pass on the whole line perhaps figures as a whole, a company should take pride in what they do and I can tell you from experience hasbro does not

you realise of course that a normal camera picture always seem dull. i did photography for a year and i could never get a artistic feel to them and was exlpian to me that my camera wasn't right. so in other word they may still look like the Hi-res pic but the camera use to take the Marvelousnews ones made them seem dull.