Batman Begins

Riker

I am a huge Christopher Nolan fan and I was reading the IMDB boards to see what people think there and most people absolutely love the movie but then there is 3-4 who call it terrible which I am sure they are just being Trolls however, I wanted to see what you guys thought...

Just rate it from a scale of 1-10, with one being the worst and ten being amazing! If your answer is 9 or lower state what made you think it should be that...

THANKS FOR THE INPUT!

:)

9. pretty flawless movie. the most impressive thing is he treated it like a real movie, not a comic book. this was as close to "what if these characters existed in the real world" as Unbreakable and X-2, and wasn't dependent upon being fantastical to remind you that they are cartoon characters.

9. The best superhero live action movie imo

I love how the writers used obscure characters from the book into this movie rather than inventing new ones. I like it since it shows how much the writers know the world of Batman. I also like how they use the super villain, super villain, mobster villain in this film. Seems like they are doing the same thing by using another mob boss from the comics in the next movie.

It is also great how they did not kill off scarecrow. I mean in a lot of supermovies, the villain usually gets killed.

9. pretty flawless movie. the most impressive thing is he treated it like a real movie, not a comic book. this was as close to "what if these characters existed in the real world" as Unbreakable and X-2, and wasn't dependent upon being fantastical to remind you that they are cartoon characters.

Totally agree with you gscbr... I think that they wanted to show people what if... a Batman type character would actually be running around in everyday life...!

9. The best superhero live action movie imo

I love how the writers used obscure characters from the book into this movie rather than inventing new ones. I like it since it shows how much the writers know the world of Batman. I also like how they use the super villain, super villain, mobster villain in this film. Seems like they are doing the same thing by using another mob boss from the comics in the next movie.

It is also great how they did not kill off scarecrow. I mean in a lot of supermovies, the villain usually gets killed.

Yea DS I think one of the best things that can happen to comic book movies is that the writers and the director which Nolan is, is to be a fan of the movie they are making and know the world that they are getting into!

10- I'll Tell you why, Nolan didnt taint the mythos (much). He did have his way with it (as would anyone in hollywood has too) but he did the film total justice and hands down told the most believeable fantasy story. I could go on forever about it but the bottom line is Batman doesnt kill and the fact that Scarecrow is still running around Gotham makes me believe that Nolan will continue to be known as the man who saved the Batman movies from the Schumucker curse! Bring on The Dark Knight i cannot wait to see this bad boy!!!

10- I'll Tell you why, Nolan didnt taint the mythos (much). He did have his way with it (as would anyone in hollywood has too) but he did the film total justice and hands down told the most believeable fantasy story. I could go on forever about it but the bottom line is Batman doesnt kill and the fact that Scarecrow is still running around Gotham makes me believe that Nolan will continue to be known as the man who saved the Batman movies from the Schumucker curse! Bring on The Dark Knight i cannot wait to see this bad boy!!!

Yea HRB00 I can't wait for the Dark Knight its so far away but man I can not wait to at least see the trailer... they say The Simpsons movie will have the trailer and tomorrow I am seeing The Simpsons movie with my family so I am hoping... hoping... hoping! :o

A 5 and no more.

Follow-up viewings of the film of Movie Channel will not let me grant it more.

Why? Because the science in the movie is out to lunch

Sure, the microwave transmitter instantly vaporizes water in the water mains, but it doesn't do the same to water in peoples stomachs, for example?

C'mon!

Water is water--It should have been KILLING anyone within range, including the bad guys.

The whole idea of using a cape as a parachute or airfoil........nah, I don't buy it. Batman swings around on a rope, for as reason. A cape dangling from his neck is not going to create an airfoil shape if his body is beneath it. It just defies logic. The only thing that rigidity ability of the cape is good for is creating a bat-wing silhouette. He CANNOT feasibly glide with it. No way, no how.

Bale as Bruce Wayne was okay, but as Batman..........well, he looked like a chipmunk on steroids in that costume.

I didn't like the Tumbler. At all.

Call me old school but I like something of the "bat" motif in the gear--and the Tumber should have has some of that. Maybe the vanes on it could have been scalloped a bit.

The plus of the movie is its cast--really good, I thought.

The movie is worlds better than the campy Burton and Schumacher films, but I don't think its the best of its genre.

I'll give it an 8

dislikes:

Rachel

the batman mask

the voice he used as batman

how slow it moved at first, it seemed to drag and drag without a hope of ending (the second half made up for it)

liked:

every other actor (it was Ra's best performance)

Scarecrow!

The use of obscure characters like mr. Zasz (sp?) (he even had the tally marks on his skin)

the second half plot was decent... there were a couple of problems like the emitter, but since it was a comic book movie it can be forgiven.

the dialog, even in the first half, was well done and believable.

the basic looking batcave.

I'll give it an 8 because of some of the more minor irritants. Namely Rachael and the way they kept pronouncing Ra's name.

Not that I'm quibbling, but how do you pronounce it? It's been Rash in the cartoon and Raz in the movie but which is the accepted pronunciation? Moreover, is it actually a real word or just something made up for a comicbook? I know they say it means "the demon's head" but does it really? I don't speak Arabic so I'm just asking.

As for the movie, I think it's definitely a 7. It's not perfect by any means. The first half of the film is very slowly paced and once it does get moving some of the fight scenes are edited too quickly to really understand what's going on. Katie Holmes is not the right actress for the role, since she is always remembered for her role on Dawson's Creek and her lack of physical maturity (she looks too young). On the plus side the scenes are framed beautifully and Nolan and his cinematographer know which colors to use to maintain the relative darkness throughout. Like the washed out tones in Insomnia, the muted colors and realistic set dressing create a visual pallette that makes the film look real and create a cohesive color set that is used throughout the film as well. I think they took a bold step with the Tumbler and I understand the dislke of it but judging from the direction they took, a Tim Burton or Adam West style Batmobile would not have worked. It's very similiar to the directon Michael Bay took with the designs of the transformers. So it's flawed but better than many movies, not just comic book movies. Still it's not Citizen Kane.

I give it a 9, simply because I'm hoping the sequel will be even better and will be worthy of a 10! I loved this film enough to see it in the theatre 3 times, and it's rare that I see a film more than once at the theatre.

And yes, there are a few minor scientific holes in the film, but they really tried to keep them at a minimum, much more so than some of the other Batman films and definately more so than other comic-book based films. And really, how scientifically accurate are the comics? You just have to accept a few things and enjoy the film for what it is.

It's one of the best films I've seen in the last few years, that's for sure.

A 5 and no more.

Follow-up viewings of the film of Movie Channel will not let me grant it more.

Why? Because the science in the movie is out to lunch

lol - hilarious logic! If you want "real" science, wait around for the Bill Nye or Mr. Wizard movie. Did you like Superman, X-Men, Spider-man? What science did they get right? ;)

Just giving you a hard time ;)

lol - hilarious logic! If you want "real" science, wait around for the Bill Nye or Mr. Wizard movie. Did you like Superman, X-Men, Spider-man? What science did they get right?

Those films maintained their "internal logic"---Batman Begins did not.

By saying that the microwave transmitter vaporizes liquid water ( in water lines) then the same liquid water in a person would also be vaporized. Saying it happens one way and not the other defeats internal logic.

That a Kryptonian man can fly by his own power makes perfect sense, within the internal logic of that story. Same thing with mutant abilities or spider-senses etc......they set up their rules and then abide by them.

Batman Begins didn't do that and demands the audience forgo a obvious logic problem.

Whenever a movie states something as an "absolute" within it story structure, and then you go "But what happens if...?"--then there is a problem with the story logic. Simple offhand line of dialogue would have fixed it, like: " Only works on pools of water more than "x" amount....".

We didn't get that line.

I'm known as sci-fi-x over on the imdb.com boards, and I gave "Batman Begins" a solid 9.

It would have been a 10 if it wasn't for two reasons:

I took 0.5 off for the Rachel Dawes character played by Katie Holmes. Her character wasn't necessary. There is no comic book representation of this character. Everything she did could have been done by Alfred, except for being a love interest.

I took an additional 0.5 off for Cillian Murphy's portrayal of the Scarecrow/Dr. Jonathan Crane. Why? He is too much of a pretty boy to be playing a character that became psychotic due to being picked on as a kid because he was so much of a skinny, gangly geek. If they had explained why he was the way he was, with a little bit of character development, then I might, might, be able to accept it. However, for the purpose the Scarecrow played, he was kind of wasted. He didn't have much screen time. Plus, they could have had any generic mad scientist come up with the scheme to send Gotham into fear and chaos.

ok i'm going to go ahead and say 8

i loved it. i thought it was the best batman to date.

i think Christian Bale was awesome.

and i mean screen icons everywhere.

but here was my problem and it's along the lines of arrows logic about the microwave transmitter.

but the fighting style batman uses sucks.

it's highly unbalanced and uses way to many movements to execute to be able to fight the ammount of people batman fights.

tai chi or jujitsu would have been a better choice.

now given the fact that it would have taken 12 years for bruce to master tai chi i would have gone with jujitzu or maybe even akido.

but that is based of of one of the extras on the dvd in the making of section because

the fight scenes were hard to see everything was dark and there were way to many closeups. and that was my major problem with it.

also the scarecrow was a creepy enough villian but him in that mask and a suit was almost comical.

now him in the strait jacket that was awesome.

I gave Batman Begins an 9

No movie is flawless I tell you. Chris Nolan stated that he wrote Rachael Dawes exclusively for Katie Homes so I guess that is what Nolan wanted. The way Nolan wrote the story, her presences was necessary.

Cilivan Murphy had a great performance in the move, almost stole the show if he gets more screen time.

I know it's hard to balance the Batman and the villians but in Batman Begins the villains are over shadowed by Bruce Wayne and Batman. No one know's who's Jonathan Crane. The character itself isn't well developed.

And finally, I do complain about the Batmobile. Being realistic doesn't mean it has to look horrible.( Same gotes with the "batpod")

I gave Batman Begins an 9

No movie is flawless I tell you. Chris Nolan stated that he wrote Rachael Dawes exclusively for Katie Homes so I guess that is what Nolan wanted. The way Nolan wrote the story, her presences was necessary.

Cilivan Murphy had a great performance in the move, almost stole the show if he gets more screen time.

I know it's hard to balance the Batman and the villians but in Batman Begins the villains are over shadowed by Bruce Wayne and Batman. No one know's who's Jonathan Crane. The character itself isn't well developed.

And finally, I do complain about the Batmobile. Being realistic doesn't mean it has to look horrible.( Same gotes with the "batpod")

i think the whole idea with the tumbler is that in the begining batman is using what he can get his hands on. like making the mask was hard enough but now making an entire batmobile would have been harder. and you couldn;t have him driving around in his Bentley.

but the design i think was awesome. then again i saw it in person when it was parked in front of Graumans.

I'll give it an 8 because of some of the more minor irritants. Namely Rachael and the way they kept pronouncing Ra's name.

Not that I'm quibbling, but how do you pronounce it? It's been Rash in the cartoon and Raz in the movie but which is the accepted pronunciation? Moreover, is it actually a real word or just something made up for a comicbook? I know they say it means "the demon's head" but does it really? I don't speak Arabic so I'm just asking.

I'd go with the cartoon myself. Dennis O'Neill wrote one of the episodes with Ra's in it so I'm guessing on my part he told them how to say his name. And he's also the one who says that's what his name means,so I'll take his word for it.