maybe i'm the last one to notice this

toonces

first off i have to qualify this thread by saying i don't have any of the 25th anniversary figures yet, but i just now noticed that all the art is completely re-done with new paintings to look like the old ones. i mean i could tell that the backgrounds and names where different, but i never noticed the actual characters were. anybody know why they did it this way?

The materials for the original art were probably not all usable--and the original artwork was done at a time when digital art was in its infancy. Its easier to just re-do it all from scratch.

Yep..it was first noticed on the single-pack Snake Eyes when they changed the card art to show that he had boots on instead of his little ankle packets.

I haven't taken a closer look at the others but I do know they also changed Flint's to show the new shotgun.

I haven't taken a closer look at the others but I do know they also changed Flint's to show the new shotgun.

yeah they all are different. from what i noticed, most of them are nearly indiscernable from the originals at a glance, except for SSv2, where they drew him without sleeves and a different crossbow to match the new toy version.

Yes we'd discussed this in one of the 25th Anniversary threads, all of the art has been changed.

I originally posted this to yojoe.

I noticed these changes in artwork while examining the 25th Anniversary edition of Stormshadow and I noticed the bow was wrong.

Why is Hasbro making subtle changes to the filecard are but not going all the way?

Cobra Officer – the 25th version’s art now has more detailed webbing, and knee pads. The coloring on the Cobra sigil is red now. There are other subtle changes in coloring or detailing to suggest this is a new piece of art, or an elaborate redo with Photoshop. Yet, Hasbro did not change the rifle.

Flint – they changed the shotgun to resemble the toy version, and removed one of the pockets on the pants. Yet, they kept the gloves in the picture.

Snake-Eyes – They removed the backpack and changed the sword. They changed the belt, added the boots, changed the straps on his both legs and removed the dart launcher from his right arm. Also, the finger on his left hand is now pointed more upward.

Stormshadow – They replaced the compound with one matching the toy. They changed the sleeve on his right arm. Hasbro also changed his tunic and sash to more closely resemble the toy, but they left his shin armor the same in the picture.

Cobra Commander – It looks like his pants have been altered from the knee down and the hood is all new. Also his left hand has been lower, his gloves changed and the Cobra sigil on his hood improved. In fact the hood is all new. The gun arm looks all new as well. But I am basing this off his filecard picture and speculation while examining the artwork for the 1983 Battle Helmet Cobra Commander.

I didn’t see a thread and I thought I would put stuff out and I was wondering what the community thought.

I originally posted this to yojoe.

I noticed these changes in artwork while examining the 25th Anniversary edition of Stormshadow and I noticed the bow was wrong.

Why is Hasbro making subtle changes to the filecard are but not going all the way?

Cobra Officer – the 25th version’s art now has more detailed webbing, and knee pads. The coloring on the Cobra sigil is red now. There are other subtle changes in coloring or detailing to suggest this is a new piece of art, or an elaborate redo with Photoshop. Yet, Hasbro did not change the rifle.

Flint – they changed the shotgun to resemble the toy version, and removed one of the pockets on the pants. Yet, they kept the gloves in the picture.

Snake-Eyes – They removed the backpack and changed the sword. They changed the belt, added the boots, changed the straps on his both legs and removed the dart launcher from his right arm. Also, the finger on his left hand is now pointed more upward.

Stormshadow – They replaced the compound with one matching the toy. They changed the sleeve on his right arm. Hasbro also changed his tunic and sash to more closely resemble the toy, but they left his shin armor the same in the picture.

Cobra Commander – It looks like his pants have been altered from the knee down and the hood is all new. Also his left hand has been lower, his gloves changed and the Cobra sigil on his hood improved. In fact the hood is all new. The gun arm looks all new as well. But I am basing this off his filecard picture and speculation while examining the artwork for the 1983 Battle Helmet Cobra Commander.

I didn’t see a thread and I thought I would put stuff out and I was wondering what the community thought.

i, like you didn't see a thread on this either...

anyway, do you think they retouched the old pics, or completely re-drew them? at first i just noticed subtle differences, but when i looked closer, it almost looks like they are completely different.

As I cannot see Hasbro having on-staff (OR on commission) artists who can paint any longer and the similarity to the original artwork is so similar, I would say someone took the original art and used something like Photoshop. I think that because the changes are subtle but not complete and because Hasbro is a corporation (cheap) and parts of this line have the earmarks of something thrown together quickly.

All I see, is them attempting to make the card art as original as possible, while at the same time, trying to make them match with whatever changes (or inconsistencies) they've had to make on the toys, like all the "quickie" thrown together version 2's they had to come up with by using other molds for it, that wouldn't match the originals as well as they had been planning to, they had to make the artwork match it better now. They just didn't bother with things like Flints gloves.

the string is going inside the fingers and around the end of the arrow. He is holding onto the end of the arrow, not the string.

-saboteur

It's possible the artist was confused and drew it that way, but that's not how you fire a bow and arrow.

When you draw the arrow back, your index and middle fingers go on top of the "string." That's what pulls the string back. The arrow rests between the two fingers.