GI Joe vehicles need to back to real life-based designs!

DPrime

I was thinking... a lot of the later GI Joe vehicles just didn't have that edge the earlier ones had. Today, they are terrible, save for a few notable exceptions, and most of those were based on real-life vehicles. So why not go back to that? Here's some I was thinking of:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/v-22.htm

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/wiesel1.htm (the successor to the Armadillo?)

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/t-90.htm (I like the idea of Cobra using Russian-made equipment!)

Any other ideas?

cobra, imo, shouldn't have vehicles that look like real vehicles unless its some kind of troop carrier. i like how they have that futuristic/experimental technology look to them. am i the only one who liked the strike hiss?? i thought it was cool how the vehicle looked like a snake and had a compartment in the back for two soldiers to sit in.

i would be happy if hasbro made a tank, apc, and some kind of helicopter like the tomahawk. . .i dunno maybe a black hawk. . . for the joes.

i like that idea!

(I like the idea of Cobra using Russian-made equipment!)

i don't think the october guard would!! lol.

(I like the idea of Cobra using Russian-made equipment!)

i don't think the october guard would!! lol.

Meh, the Russians will sell anything to anyone! I was thinking of this in a deep Cobra blue, decked out with RAH-style decals... It'd be sweet. Although I agree with you that Cobra's great with experimental-like designs, they went a bit too crazy later on. I mean, what was that HISS 4 supposed to be? The Crimson Command Chopper looked great except for that crap-like texture on it...

I always thought that GIJOE designers needed to have stacks of Popular Mechanics magazines, coupled with books on Syd Mead, Ron Cobb, Ralph McQuarrie, Andy Probert and Derek Meddings on their desks.

Hell, throw in some Joe Johnston, Nilo Rodis-Jamero, Otomo Katsuhiro and Sushei Nagnoka for good measure.

Just add the Joe team or COBRA logos and away ya go.....

I always thought that GIJOE designers needed to have stacks of Popular Mechanics magazines, coupled with books on Syd Mead, Ron Cobb, Ralph McQuarrie, Andy Probert and Derek Meddings on their desks.

Hell, throw in some Joe Johnston, Nilo Rodis-Jamero, Otomo Katsuhiro and Sushei Nagnoka for good measure.

Agreed completely. Looking at some of those HISS concept pieces reminded me a lot of Star Wars design books!

Right, it looks to me like that's what they were doing in the 80's, and then quit after they left.

For example, IIRC--the proposed "frisbee" illustration for the then unseen F-117 Stealth was what the Joe Phantom X-19 was based on.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology...aw/1281326.html

EDIT: Found this pic.

http://www.oficinamodelismo.com.br/imagens/om1914.jpg

This is a great thread and one of my fave topics.

-PJ

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/mod/us/leef19.htm

When Testors/Italieri released the F-19 model kit, they claimed that their design of the stealth “fighter” based on the literature that was available at the time and the guesses of aviation experts. As politicians have a tendency to do, they got upset at the release of “secret” information and conducted a congressional hearing over a model kit(?). The shape of the F-19 was strikingly similar to the SR-71 which was a reduced, but not low, RCS design (most folks didn’t know about the low RCS flying wings that Northrop developed in the 1940s which was the basis of the B-2.) For most of the 80s when folks talked about a stealth fighter, they imagined the F-19 or something similar to it.

As many of you know, this particular kit was called the best selling model kit of all time and beat the previously declared model, the original Star Trek USS Enterprise, in record time.

And you know Hasbro had to have noticed that. ;)

-PJ

i want a non AA F35 with opening hover mode, and thrust vector exhaust.

real landing gear like back in the glory days of RAH.

a Joe vehicle based on the LAV vehicle.

another Space Shuttle.. more based on the real Shuttle or even the new prototype

NASA shuttle.

a Helicopter based on the Blackhawk or Pavelow concept.

a Joe vehicle based on the LAV vehicle.

Yeah, I was thinking of putting that in the initial post as well. The Joes never had a real APC... sure, they had the APC, but it wasn't an Armored Personnel Carrier!

I still want a proper 1:18th HIND helicopter and a OSPREY.. still gotta find one of those chapmei ones...

Take the Osprey, and sub Jet engines ( thrust-vectored, of course) for the turbo-props and you have a perfect Joe aircraft. Call it the Screamin' Eagle and have a guy named Dust-off as the figure with it.

( this is an idea I've had for years---still trying to find the sketches I did....)

Take the HIND and add a lot more bubble windows, as gun ports etc, to the fore part or fhe frame and the sides of the fuselage--call it the MAMBA Mk 2--and give it to COBRA.

The Joes need a sub, do a big stealthy version with a flying craft the can be deployed--call it the SeaHawk of the Sea-Boomer.

Another idea; the Joes need a Universal Transport truck--basically a semi with weapon turrets and a big expandable flatbed to haul basically any small to medium sized rolling vehicle on it. Have a trooper named Wideload or Jake-Brake as the driver.

COBRA needs a serious main battle tank--call it the King-Snake, and make it dwarf the Grizzly. Two main guns, loads of rocket launchers really nasty stuff.

I still want a proper 1:18th HIND helicopter and a OSPREY.. still gotta find one of those chapmei ones...

I'd love to be able to get all that Chap Mei stuff around here. The stuff is inexpensive but PERFECT for the Joes, and the vehicles are very detailed and solid little vehicles, surp[rising for the cost and all you get.

chapmeisoldierforce5xc1.png

chapmeisoldierforce4po1.png

chapmeisoldierforcetr7.png

chapmeitransport0fecu1.png

I saw that black widow and som kinda WWII type plane last xmas at big lots.....i kick my self for not getting them..and the police cars too i should stocked up on those! cant find em anywhere now!! :(

TM

Interesting thing about the infamous F-19 design was that it was both "right" and wrong in terms of real stealth technology.

The F-117 was all angles, designed form the simplest, but most effective radar deflection and RCS available at the time. It was nothing at all like the curvaceous F-19 design, but.........the B-2 Spirit bears a closer "resemblance".

The complex curves and sloping forms of the B-2 reveal more complex computer modelling of the steath RCS principles, and that research coincides with the F-19 kit revelations.

The F-117, and its technology was developed a full decade before the kit appeared, and the B-was still in development at the time. Its a good case of missing the target, but still making the score.

I'd love to be able to get all that Chap Mei stuff around here. The stuff is inexpensive but PERFECT for the Joes, and the vehicles are very detailed and solid little vehicles, surprising for the cost and all you get.

Oh WOW! They made a Harrier! :wub: Or, it really looks like a Harrier!

That would look so awesome on the Flagg. Thanks for the toy pics, VH! Appreciated.

-PJ

I don't really care how realistic it is as long as it's cool. The great thing about the 80's stuff was that it was solidly built. They didn't fall apart or break the first time they were dropped (or atleast I don't recall a lot of my Joe stuff breaking). The problem with a lot of the stuff that Hasbro has turned out since 2001 (that was new, not reissued) is that they were a little too large for the figures. But they have been on a roll with the vehicles the last couple of years: the Grizzly, The NAC, the Thunderwing, the Humvee, the Rhino and the ROCC were great vehicles that I would rank high up there on the list of great Joe Vehicles.

Plus I know a lot of the guys on these boards like the more realistic stuff, but I always figures that Joe (and even Cobra) were slightly ahead of the curve. Much of the stuff (even early on) might not have been real, but it was within reach or within the realm of possiblity. I mean did the any of the armed forces have laser troopers in 82?

I'd love to be able to get all that Chap Mei stuff around here. The stuff is inexpensive but PERFECT for the Joes, and the vehicles are very detailed and solid little vehicles, surprising for the cost and all you get.

Oh WOW! They made a Harrier! :wub: Or, it really looks like a Harrier!

That would look so awesome on the Flagg. Thanks for the toy pics, VH! Appreciated.

-PJ

Better shot of it here...

chapmeijetvo4.png

IMG_1808.jpg

I believe they are actually calling it a "Harrier"?

chapmeiimg1899cs6.png

and one of the copter...

chapmeiheligd3.png

Plus I know a lot of the guys on these boards like the more realistic stuff, but I always figures that Joe (and even Cobra) were slightly ahead of the curve. Much of the stuff (even early on) might not have been real, but it was within reach or within the realm of possiblity. I mean did the any of the armed forces have laser troopers in 82?

Not to contradict myself, but I too like the just-outside-of-reality styled vehicles.

The Skysweeper is a great example, and so is one of my all times favourites: the Hammer.

Now, the Hammer was clearly modelled after the Humvee, but it had that almost-goofy over-the-top up-gunned look. IT was GIJOE to me. Too many guns, not quite enough aim....

The Jungle Strike Humvee is close in size--and for a long time I thought the Hammer was a LOT larger--and they could have just done a more realistic upgrade of the Hammer ( add that radio stack I love so much, some instruments on the dash etc...).

If anything, the weapons are the weak spot, as they are pretty "soft" molds. They could have done straight M-2 .50 cals for those mounts and it would have worked just as well. After the year they made the Hammer, almost all the vehicles seem to drop off a bit in terms of design. They were went too outlandish, or became too realistic.

As much as I like the NAC and the RHINO, they fall into the former category, and the Jungle Strike the latter. Its a fine line to ride on.

• 3 weeks later...

and one of the copter

chapmeiheligd3.png

Look closely. Is that just me, or does that look like the Cobra transport chopper seen so often in the comics?

I remember alot of fans asking for one like this awhile ago just for that reason.

I found a fan's custom "mock up" of the Cobra Chopper here...

cobrahornetzu3.png

if that's the one from the comics, that Chap Mei chopper above, would work PERFECTLY for it!