What else to do in Atlanta

DPrime

Just wondering... Barring a connection at the airport, it'll be my first time if I go. I'd like to see something kind of touristy while I'm there - any suggestions?

Me too...I teach US History, so if anyone has any suggestions for me as well, I'll take them.

Thanks

You can go clubin' at Buckhead, ride rollercoaters at Six Flags Over Georgia, take a walk in Underground Atlanta, see The World of Coca-Cola, eat at the Varsity by GA Tech, take a trip to Stone Mountain, see the animals at Zoo Atlanta, watch a show at the Fox Theatre, or anything else you might wanna do if you have the time.

Here's a list of Atlanta's tourist attractions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Attractions

I actually hail from Dublin, GA (home of the "Redneck Olympics") and I'm very happy that I will finally get to attend the convention in my home state's capitol.

Just wondering... Barring a connection at the airport, it'll be my first time if I go. I'd like to see something kind of touristy while I'm there - any suggestions?

Me too...I teach US History, so if anyone has any suggestions for me as well, I'll take them.

Thanks

Being a student of history myself, I am looking forward to Stone Mountain as well as the Cyclorama (both of which are on the Convention tour schedule . . I'll probably hoof it on my own though). The Atlanta History Center in Buckhead also looks to be pretty interesting.

I personally HATE the cyclorama... It is one of the most mind numbing experiences I have ever been forced to sit through. But I hate civil war history.

Fernbank is pretty cool. It is a natural history museum. I think they have some dinosour stuff. They have an IMAX there too.

Stone Mountain can be fun. It's a bit of a drive from the city but it is worth seeing. Plenty to do there. If you go, plan at least half a day to get all the good stuff in. They do a lazer show at night in the summer. Not sure if they will still be doing it in September. Probably not.

There are plenty of sporting events.

Buckhead is a decent place to go for bars and night life (for straight people or so I've heard). If you're gay (or just open minded) and want to go out with me, I am planning on taking a couple of the other board members out to some gay clubs during the convention. PM me and we can arrange to get together.

But you can pretty much do whatever you can think of. Just do a search.

Good ideas... I might check out the Cyclorama (kind of a cheesy name, isn't it?), as a student of both history and art. The CNN centre looks kind of interesting. Is Fernbank a pretty major museum? Sounds like my kind of thing...

Buckhead is a decent place to go for bars and night life (for straight people or so I've heard). If you're gay (or just open minded) and want to go out with me, I am planning on taking a couple of the other board members out to some gay clubs during the convention. PM me and we can arrange to get together.

Well, I probably wouldn't be that interested in the gay bar unless my girlfriend comes to Atlanta with me (which is up in the air) - she's one of those girls who has a lot of gay friends and seems to enjoy the gay bar scene. So we'll see!

I'm definitely up for a few drinks though. Since I've been on this board, I've gotten the impression that GI Joe collectors seem to enjoy the drink!

I would say that you should see the Aquarium. It is awesome. Go when it first opens in the morning so it's not so busy.

Kennesaw mountain battle field is pretty cool as well. If you like hiking, there are a ton of trails. If you are lazy, you can drive to the top of the mountain and get a really great view of Atlanta and the surrounding area.

Good ideas... I might check out the Cyclorama (kind of a cheesy name, isn't it?), as a student of both history and art. The CNN centre looks kind of interesting. Is Fernbank a pretty major museum? Sounds like my kind of thing...

Well, I probably wouldn't be that interested in the gay bar unless my girlfriend comes to Atlanta with me (which is up in the air) - she's one of those girls who has a lot of gay friends and seems to enjoy the gay bar scene. So we'll see!

I'm definitely up for a few drinks though. Since I've been on this board, I've gotten the impression that GI Joe collectors seem to enjoy the drink!

Hey man. I wouldn't say Fernbank is a MAJOR museum. Nothing like what you might find in New York or DC but it is a very nice museum. A bit small but I think it is worth seeing. And if your girlfind comes down, I will be happy to make her my fruit fly (aka f@g hag)! LOL