How are you guys able to custom the new Joes?

Zanzibar

I picked up a couple of the Star Wars figures today, one had a figure with gloves i thought would work for Flint, and the other was of the Han Solo in his trench coat (or whatever) and totally on a whim, grabbed them up with a thought in mind for a swap or two, however, the joints are just different enough it wasn't a good swap, the heads have bigger BALLS (yes i said balls) than the Joe figures, and the hands on Han worked ok on Snake Eyes so i could have a bare hands look with possibly a new head, to use for a Grunt or Breaker or someone with the SE body. Looks pretty good, but Hans head is smaller to, so i might try something else.

I did take the SE hands and then put them on Flint, and it doesn't look half bad for gloves. If interested, maybe I can get my camera working and take a quick pic, but i just wondered if anybody else was considering the SW stuff for parts swaps like this?

I picked up a couple of the Star Wars figures today, one had a figure with gloves i thought would work for Flint, and the other was of the Han Solo in his trench coat (or whatever) and totally on a whim, grabbed them up with a thought in mind for a swap or two, however, the joints are just different enough it wasn't a good swap, the heads have bigger BALLS (yes i said balls) than the Joe figures, and the hands on Han worked ok on Snake Eyes so i could have a bare hands look with possibly a new head, to use for a Grunt or Breaker or someone with the SE body. Looks pretty good, but Hans head is smaller to, so i might try something else.

I did take the SE hands and then put them on Flint, and it doesn't look half bad for gloves. If interested, maybe I can get my camera working and take a quick pic, but i just wondered if anybody else was considering the SW stuff for parts swaps like this?

Lets see em'!

TM

Legs: The legs are replaced in the same manor as always, just don't lose the little rubber piece on that makes contact with the ball on the t-hook. The Balls on the T-hooks are a little larger than a normal t-hook, so there me be a little sanding involved to get old legs to fit on there. I've also gotten around the much maligned design flaw of "diaper crotches" by dremeling the groins to look like our much beloved classic crotches. It's really overwhelmingly simple to do, I don't understand why so many people are crying about it. That's why I started customizing, if you don't like it, fix it.

Chest: As far as the chest yeah, best solution so far is to crack them open with pliers, or perhaps drill a minute hole at the seam and crack it with a nail.

Arms: As far as lower arms go, I had to take a page out of my Marvel Legends customizing book and use my hair dryer to soften the plastic of the upper arm and pop out the lower arm and then pop in a lower arm of my choosing. This works best, obviously between 25th anniversary figs, but I find VVV wave 7 and some DTC figures, as well as Star Wars Figures lower arms work well. If the peg is too big for the arm, all you have to do is sand it down. I'm making a Sigma Six style duke out of a Snake Eyes, and I swapped the lower arms of a VVV 7 Gung Ho, looks great.

Head: The heads all swap easy between the 25th anniversary figures, however the heads from other neck ball based figure designs (Barrage, Mutt, Venomous Maximus, Star Wars, select heads from Alyosha and Good to Go Customs) will work as well, with a little help. Basically you need green stuff (epoxy putty). You put a small amount of the putty in the head. Push the head down on the neck peg until it is in a nice centralized location. There should be some putty coming out at the bottom of the head. Let the putty set until dry. Once dry, gently wiggle the head back and forth, until the head is turning on this newly formed neck ball. After that, just pull the head head off the neck ball and cut the putty that is hanging off of the neck ball. That'll leave a nicely fitted neck and head.

Are customizing these Joes going to be as easy as customizing Joes of yesteryear? No, but I think it'll force us as customizers to become more creative and hopefully come up with new techniques. Keep in mind the old methods of customizing Joes was cultivated of 25 years of the hobby. The race is on ladies and gentlemen, let's see some great customs!

I'm working on a Flint right now.. I took an exacto to his shoulders and cut his arms off.. then I did the same to a DTC Mutt and put his on.. I'm using the Flints lower arms.. but I'm in the process of sanding his sleeves down, I have one arm almost done.. Im using a JvC night force Duke gloves for him.. I'm not sure if his arms are a tad too short or not... I'll have to wait till he's painted up.. if they are, then I'll just add a tad to his forearms...

I'm gona fix the diaper crotch too with the dremel/xacto method.. I'll try an xacto first, if it's too tiring, then I'll attack it with the dremel...

Maybe for future figures, Hasbro can dremel the crotchs for us? @loll@

Fred needs to do a dio pic of Duke on the operating table looking up and screaming as a dremel tool is approaching his crotch area...screaming "Nooooooooo!"

the good thing about starwars figs. is their heads are all diff. sizes han and the naboo soildier have the smallest i belive but others like the empirial offic. may work i have not been able to get any of the new joes yet but i saw some the other day at tru and im going back tommarow to get some if they still have them

I was looking at the Star wars comic pack, that has Quinlan Vos (?) in it, and wondered if his arms would work for making a sleeveless Storm Shadow? They seem to be off just a bit in scale though, like a tad smaller than the Joes?

18712ki6.png

Actually I thought the same thing VH.. the size isn't a problem... but the skin tone's a bit off, that and the huge circular emblem on his right shoulder...

Other than that. it looks like it'd work.. maybe I'll try it when I get my 5-pack Stormie... I plan on using the Vos arms for a different custom anyway.. so it wouldn't hurt to lop them off and see how they fit, lol