Current Marvel Stories HML waves...

stormfan

Say instead of having a mix of classic and modern figures, what if Hasbro made an entire wave devoted towards current stories/miniseries? Would anyone buy these? I would personally. I think it makes for some cool opportunities...

An X-Men First Class Wave, A Fantastic 4 wave (with the temporary lineup of Storm, Black Panther, Thing, and Human Torch), X-Men: Endangered Species (with Beast and some of the villains he contacted), etc.

It'd be almost like treating the new comic story/series as though it were a new movie coming out (minus the action features).

Any thoughts?

I definitely want a First Class set, though that's a bit of cheat calling those current comics characters since they're telling stories from the 60s. Coming out with Planet Hulk figs is releasing current characters. I'd be up for current Exiles and X-Factor rosters. I'd like a Winter Soldier. Supreme Power. Current Power Man.

I wouldn't be a fan because it would lead to even more versions of characters we already have. I know that's unavoidable to some extent, they have to put a Wolverine or Iron Man, etc. in every wave, but doing current story lines would probably lead to more repeats than we normally see. I've been getting more and more fed up with that since the BAFs started.

The upcoming Hulk waves are sort of like this. A number of the figures are based on current/recent character appearances in Planet and WW Hulk. And the result is we're going to have to buy about 4 more Hulks to get Fin Fan Foom when we've already had about a dozen of him between ML and HC. I never want to buy another Hulk figure as long as I live but it's less hassle to do so than it would be to track down the Foom pieces separately.

Annilation Wave

Civil War Wave

Exiles Wave

X-Factor Wave

WW Hulk wave

Initiative Wave

Thunderbolts Wave

New Avengers Wave

Mighty Avengers Wave

Fall of the Shiar Empire Wave

I would buy any of these... of course, I am a sucker.

I kind of ment that say, "Uncanny X-Men" has their own ML line, and each new story arc for the series has a new (but small) wave of figures. Each wave could have 3 or 4 key characters to the story arc.

Obviously not every comic series would have a ML line, but the popular ones could.

This is a good idea on paper, but the development lead time makes it difficult to time releases with storylines. And if they wait until after the story arc comes out, THEN develop the figures, they risk low sales because the demand isn't there. Sure, you and i would buy them up, but we are also in a forum talking about the figures daily. Average Joe Shopper would be disinclined to buy story specific characters after the excitment has died down. I suspect there would even be inevitable backlash from collectors. "Why did they make THOSE figures?" when there are so many "classic" figures waiting to be made. That said here are some Specific Waves I think would be cool.

Inhumans

Blackbolt

Medusa

Gorgon

Karnak

Triton

Maximus the Mad

BAF Lockjaw

Alpha Flight

Guardian

Vindicator

Nothstar

Aurora

Snowbird

Shaman

Puck

BAF Box (the red and silver version!!)

New Warriors

NightThrasher

Namorita (Blue Skin variant)

Speedball

Firestar

Kid Nova (Red Uniform variant)

Marvel Boy/(Justice Variant)

Cosmic Heroes

Adam Warlock

Moondragon

Drax The Destroyer

Gamora

Ronan the Accuser

Paibok, Power Skrull

Pip the troll could be a pack in with someone

I'd buy all the figures Rollo just mentioned. Actually, I'm with Draven. I'd just buy all the ML compatible figures Hasbro comes out with.

And I think that actually makes me a more selective consumer.

I kind of ment that say, "Uncanny X-Men" has their own ML line, and each new story arc for the series has a new (but small) wave of figures. Each wave could have 3 or 4 key characters to the story arc.

Obviously not every comic series would have a ML line, but the popular ones could.

That Idea i like :)