Dark Stalkers Need Your Support

The Wire

I hate to say it but "too bad".

Street Fighter was a big hit with eBay sellers, but as far as the stores I actually saw them in, retailers could barely move them. $15 apiece doesn't allow for impulse buys, and the few people enthusiastic would not only want entire sets, but could get said entire sets off eBay for less than retail(or at retail after shipping). Store distro sucked and the things just got clearanced everywhere due to a lack of interest. Add in the fact that their Now Playing line bombed- true, people bought Darkman but who wanted the soldier? That thing clogged pegs.

And again, DS was doomed from the start. Their suggested retail apiece was $25! Then we got accessories dropped for a price decrease(now they cost as much as a SF toy but have nothing whatsoever with them), but even that can't help thanks to the fact they chose 2 characters people don't tend to think of... they'd want Morrigan and Felicia, not "Dracula clone" and "generic zomie rockstar"(which might be pushed to purchase if they'd made the first 2). Admittedly, Felicia would be ugly as SOTA can't much handle a ball joint worth a damn but Morrigan coulda been done reasonably well(keeping in mind SOTA didn't add in a shin swivel to SF until series 4- and many in 1-3 had their boots glued on as separate pieces anyway!). SOTA still believes that toys of female characters don't sell- obviously untrue... finding Chun Li or Cammy in stores was impossible. Crap like Adon and T Hawk(and I say CRAP due to the gigantic hole in his shoulder, ugh) was what didn't sell(which tends to be a company policy more than anyhting... release few female character toys then claim the low sales as proof that they "don't sell well". MOTU did this... of course Teela didn't sell well, they made maybe 1000 of them. The Batman/Batgirl Target set sold real well FWIW, better than Supes/Bizarro or "I'm real skinny" Clak Kent with bulky Supes).

I can't much care if these 2 ever come out simply because the characters on't uch interest me and they'd be too costly to make. I fell for those who would want them but I can't offer my support.

sad, but i think we all saw it coming. a real shame too because as i said from day 1 i think Darkstalkers has a much better shot at being a successful line then Street Fighter ever did. because despite people like janderson (and the idiots who keep remaking the same characters over and over) i think the casual collectors would love most of the DS characters and not just Morrigan and Felicia, with SF you have a handful of characters that the mainstream people know Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Blanka and Dhalsim (or the Green Dude and Stretchy Guy as they are known to the people who don't know) and pretty much the other 90% of the cast are just random normal looking people. DS on the other hand despite being much less known to the casuals has the added bonus of being made up of cool looking monsters, so even if you don't know who the hell Raptor, Victor and Sasquatch are they still have the power to attract the random shoppers just by the fact that they look cool

yeahhhh ive had mine on preorder since 5/05 so yeahhhh ive been in it to win it for awhile now... im a monstrous darkstalkers fanatic.

I hate to say it but "too bad".

Street Fighter was a big hit with eBay sellers, but as far as the stores I actually saw them in, retailers could barely move them. $15 apiece doesn't allow for impulse buys, and the few people enthusiastic would not only want entire sets, but could get said entire sets off eBay for less than retail(or at retail after shipping). Store distro sucked and the things just got clearanced everywhere due to a lack of interest. Add in the fact that their Now Playing line bombed- true, people bought Darkman but who wanted the soldier? That thing clogged pegs.

And again, DS was doomed from the start. Their suggested retail apiece was $25! Then we got accessories dropped for a price decrease(now they cost as much as a SF toy but have nothing whatsoever with them), but even that can't help thanks to the fact they chose 2 characters people don't tend to think of... they'd want Morrigan and Felicia, not "Dracula clone" and "generic zomie rockstar"(which might be pushed to purchase if they'd made the first 2). Admittedly, Felicia would be ugly as SOTA can't much handle a ball joint worth a damn but Morrigan coulda been done reasonably well(keeping in mind SOTA didn't add in a shin swivel to SF until series 4- and many in 1-3 had their boots glued on as separate pieces anyway!). SOTA still believes that toys of female characters don't sell- obviously untrue... finding Chun Li or Cammy in stores was impossible. Crap like Adon and T Hawk(and I say CRAP due to the gigantic hole in his shoulder, ugh) was what didn't sell(which tends to be a company policy more than anyhting... release few female character toys then claim the low sales as proof that they "don't sell well". MOTU did this... of course Teela didn't sell well, they made maybe 1000 of them. The Batman/Batgirl Target set sold real well FWIW, better than Supes/Bizarro or "I'm real skinny" Clak Kent with bulky Supes).

I can't much care if these 2 ever come out simply because the characters on't uch interest me and they'd be too costly to make. I fell for those who would want them but I can't offer my support.

That's because ur not a fan of Dark Stalkers. These 2 are part of the classic characters from the game besides Morrigan and Felicia.

The Street Fighter line shared the same problem. Retailers wouldn't order them because of the lack of appeal. I'm sure there are Street Fighter and Dark Stalkers fans out there who wants these figures but when compared to Marvel Legends, Spawn or movie figures these just don't appeal as well as the other toy lines. But in reality, Sota is making figures that have great sculpt, great paint and a reasonable amount of articulation so that the figure won't look fugly.

• 2 weeks later...

They posted up photos from SDCC of the new Darkstalkers....Morrigan,Lilith and a repaint of Dmitri as Donovan.

Sorry to say,but these figures look like CRAP. On another forum there was a side-by-side comparison photo of SOTA's original Morrigan proto and the new proto...and let me say that the original proto is a VASTLY superior product.

ORIGINAL PROTOTYPE - BEAUTIFUL SCULPT

SDCC05_morr.jpg

NEW PROTOTYPE

normal_DSCN1472.jpg

They posted up photos from SDCC of the new Darkstalkers....Morrigan,Lilith and a repaint of Dmitri as Donovan.

Sorry to say,but these figures look like CRAP. On another forum there was a side-by-side comparison photo of SOTA's original Morrigan proto and the new proto...and let me say that the original proto is a VASTLY superior product.

ORIGINAL PROTOTYPE - BEAUTIFUL SCULPT

SDCC05_morr.jpg

NEW PROTOTYPE

normal_DSCN1472.jpg

So true. The old prototype for Morrigan was good, but the new one sucks. She seems to have less articulation and most likely, they did a new proto because it would cost more to shrink down the 2 up or that what Sota said a year ago when they were referring to the Dee Jay and Zangief protos of last year. Lastly, the previous SOTA sculptor went to Toybiz a few years ago, hence why they probably can't emulate the old look; he probably did the previous Morrigan's head.

Even her twin/clone Lilth looks like crap(they appear to have the same bod with the exception of the boobies and the head. Dee is meh since he only appeared like that in the ps2 ver of DS, which was release in Japan. Therefore, I predict he wouldn't sell well because of obscurity.

Personally and unforunately, I don't think I am not goin to touch this line with the exception of maybe Jedah(they are an unpainted image of him from SDCC either on this site or another;don't remember.) But I think the line is dead and maybe Sota with it.

Anyways, I think I should look for the pic of Jedah in case anyone of ya did not see it

081.jpg

Morrigan's sculpt changed to more animated wise and look less like the rest of the SOTA Capsom characters.

I'll still support the line but I am too worried how SOTA is doing. SOTA is the best toy company out there and it will be a shame if they have to stop the SF or DS line.