Wal-Mart Adventure Team toys

Dragonrider1227

I've been hearing that they're working on Wal-Mart exclusive Adventure Team figures. With the Adventure Team as my second favorite form of GI Joe *RAH line beats it for number one* I'd like to know when they're coming, and if anyone has any pictures. Thanks in advanced

The wurd is they will be on sale in August.

A Land Adventurer, Sea Adventurer, Air Adventurer, and a (Black) Adventurer--all in coffin boxes, and based on the 40th anniversary sculpt. Not sure if any others are planned, but we can all hope.....

In a way, its kind of odd because the Land Adventurer has been done pretty much a half dozen times already, with really only subtle variations to it. The Club, Meijers, and Hot Topic releases......and I think there might have been a couple others there.....were all pretty much the same animal.

Now we are getting much the same thing all over again..........oh, with one expection, I understand.

These Walmart guys will all have Kung-Fu Grip.

The wurd is they will be on sale in August.

A Land Adventurer, Sea Adventurer, Air Adventurer, and a (Black) Adventurer--all in coffin boxes, and based on the 40th anniversary sculpt. Not sure if any others are planned, but we can all hope.....

In a way, its kind of odd because the Land Adventurer has been done pretty much a half dozen times already, with really only subtle variations to it. The Club, Meijers, and Hot Topic releases......and I think there might have been a couple others there.....were all pretty much the same animal.

Now we are getting much the same thing all over again..........oh, with one expection, I understand.

These Walmart guys will all have Kung-Fu Grip.

Well, no matter how many times Hasbro releases the land adventurer, SOMEONE will miss out. Compared to the Man of Action though, the Land Adventurer's hardly seen any action. Also, I think they're doing the Land adventurer because the last couple of times, they released him, he was exclusive to rather obscure stores. I know I had never even HEARD of Mejiers before that exclusive so this will give anyone who missed those exclusives a chance to still get him.

BTW, Thanks a bunch too ^^

I can't believe they're a month away, and we don't have any images of them anywhere? :(

Going by Ken's information about them, I'm going to assume they'll be right in line with these....basically?

atjoespd8.png

atjoes2fg5.png

atjoes3pp3.png

All of them sporting the "Kung Fu Grip" though.

Yep, just like those.

The difference being the Air Adventurer will come in the tradtional orange coveralls (the bottom pic) instead of the oddly -assigned Sea Adventurer's dungarees.

These figures will be slightly different in a sculpting respect--the heads will be based on the more idealized, slightly more angular 40th Anniversary head sculpt with flocking.

The afficianados claim the the GIJOE Club's versions of these figures ( the bottom 3 pics) are the "better" representation because they use the Timeless Collection heads--and thus more closely resemble the originals.

BTW, the Club is rumoured to be clearing out their remaining AT figures--the Black Adventurer and Sea Adventurer as a set--- in anticipation of these figures.

The RUMOURED MSRP for these new figures is either $10 or $15.

Either way, there's soon NEW Adventure Team stuff to be had!

The 5 shown in the ad I saw, were the 4 I posted above (minus the Air Adventurer in the Sea outfit???) plus the non-bearded guy shown here...

11213qp6.png

Don't know if they'll call it Man of Action or the Commander Adventurer, but he's pictured in the 5.

He's pictured here (on the Right) also...

atjoes4tg5.png

Another of the Land and Air Adventurers...

atjoes5vb4.png

Oh cool! I think they'll call him what's on the box: The Man of Action.

Always wanted a boxed version of him--I have some of the Timeless Collection ones but they are not quite the same.

If these sell well, one can hope we get the talkers!!

I saw an ad in the Master Collector fan club magazine too. If those images are correct, they will also have the flocking like the Air Adventurer from Urban Outfitters, not as "bushy" more matted... I think they also mentioned that it will be "Man of Action" for the Beardless White guy and "Adventurer" for the Black guy.

They are all pictured with the Revolver too and not the "Luger/Namboo" that the Hot Topic exclusive came with.

I am just glad to get the Air Adventurer with the correct outfit this time around.

Between 25th, These and the new more interesting take on the 8 inch Scale (adventure team and combat squad)..it is going to be an expensive summer for Joes.

If these sell well, one can hope we get the talkers!!

I SAY BRING'EM ON BABY!!!

atjoes6ga1.png

Between 25th, These and the new more interesting take on the 8 inch Scale (adventure team and combat squad)..it is going to be an expensive summer for Joes.

I hear ya loud and clear on THAT! Hell, I may even forego on most the 25th stuff, and focus on the 12" AT Joes and the newer Sigma stuff, and go for a convention set this year.

I bought the Club Talking AT Commander last summer and its a near flawless repro. The box it comes with is great, the talking feature is loud and clear and works just like the original. Its just a bit pricey.

If the new figures retail for, say, $15, then the talkers could go for $25. Keep them with Kung-fu grip and I'd jump at that.

The Club has confirmed that the MSRP is going to be $10!!! I cannot wait to get my hands on these guys!

Michael

Bulletman Big B

All Hail DOB!!

The Club has confirmed that the MSRP is going to be $10!!! I cannot wait to get my hands on these guys!

Michael

Bulletman Big B

All Hail DOB!!

These then, will move like crazy.

If you see 'em.... BUY 'em!

I think talkers have a good chance. The 40th Anniversary Action Man sets are bringing back Talkers in Late Summer. I can't wait to have a British guy in my with my Talkers.

The Action Man 40th Stuff is partially to blame for my renewed interest in my long forgotten 12 inch collection. These Wal Mart AT Joes, just finishes it off.

Do you think we are dreaming if we hope for vehicles? I'd love a new (old mold) 6x6 or Helicopter

Michael

Bulletman Big B

All Hail DOB!!

These then, will move like crazy.

If you see 'em.... BUY 'em!

I agree Ken! I plan on getting a set for Toys For Tots this year along with a set (or two) for me. With the Wal-Mart homeoffice down the road and at least 9 Wal-Marts within an hour of me, I am hoping to have no problems finding them!

Michael

Bulletman Big B

All Hail DOB!!

Do you think we are dreaming if we hope for vehicles? I'd love a new (old mold) 6x6 or Helicopter

I'd say that the chances of vehicles would depend on how wildly successful the figures are. If there's a lot of clamour for more figures, then vehicles edge into the possible.

Its unclear how many of those molds survive.

The GIJOE Club has some, or access to some, or has created some.

The dog sled and smaller sea sled are two that its known they have, and its possible they may have more.

My guess is that if a vehicle were to come, it'd be something like the Troubleshooter ATV first--so the classic Mummy's Tomb set could be realized.

Anything that needs a mold realized from scratch would be lower down on the list........and larger vehicles have a horrible habit of not selling in todays market.

If you look at these AT figures........their price point is low.......they are not, AFAIK, being hawked as a commerative item--they are just there.

This is a classic "razor" marketing ploy if their ever was one......and where a razor exists, you'll need razor blades. I'm wondering ( wishing) out loud if this is a feeler attempt to see if the razor/razor blade concept of figures and accessories will work in this case. I have doubts, but stranger things have happened before.

If you look at these AT figures........their price point is low.......they are not, AFAIK, being hawked as a commerative item--they are just there.

This is a classic "razor" marketing ploy if their ever was one......and where a razor exists, you'll need razor blades. I'm wondering ( wishing) out loud if this is a feeler attempt to see if the razor/razor blade concept of figures and accessories will work in this case. I have doubts, but stranger things have happened before.

What is the "razor" marketing ploy exactly? I'm thinking something to scratch the surface maybe, but I hadn't heard that expression in marketing.

And on the subject of additional "razors"...

They can cut me DEEP with one of these...

training_tower_sears.jpg

OH the HOURS of fun I had with that thing. I have yet to find the picture of me kneeling next to mine, on Christmas day, with my Kung Fu grip Air Adventurer (Blonde, Orange jumpsuit) climbing the ladder.

Many a "adventures" ended with poor old Joe getting taken out with a snipers bullet and falling to his death from the tower. ^_^

What is the "razor" marketing ploy exactly? I'm thinking something to scratch the surface maybe, but I hadn't heard that expression in marketing.

Its actually a reference to the original marketing plan for the 12" GIJOEs back in the 60's.

The idea was that the figures (razors) were sold seperately from the outfits, accessories and vehicles (razor blades) and the two groups were needed to make for one complete play pattern (razor and razor blades).

A razor is useless without the blades after all, and the figures just play better with added outfits and accessories. It was a sly bit of marketing pressure on consumers that worked for years.

Unfortunately, consumers are a lot more savvy (and demanding) nowadays and the ploy seldom works with toys ( though its a staple with Barbie-- though the figures combined with accessory sets are becoming more common--- and Video games--go figure). Hasbro tried for a few years in the 90's to hawk "blades"--accessory sets--for the 12" Classic Collection line, and they sold miserably. Retailers couldn't move them, and then insisted that Hasbro NOT make figure less accessory sets for any future sets.

From that point on, almost any vehicle or accessory item came with a figure.

Notable are the 40th Anniversary line--which embodied this new thinking. The figures and accessories were packaged together in a single box, but individually packaged as they originally were sold separately in the 60's. This created attractive, but pricey product that was dead-on to what the retailers specified.

And it sold horribly.

Every package came with a figure, the consumers complained.......if the consumers wanted a particular accessory set ( which is why there were so many different sets) they'd have to by another figure with it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Classic no-win situation--the quintessential tug-of-war between product redundancy and marketing necessity.

That idea is still VERY fresh in Hasbro's mind, so if this AT stuff does get expanded, expect the expansion to be VERY timid.

PS: that Training Tower set is one I've always wanted to get, but never took the plunge. The various things you could do with it always fascinated me ( rope slides were just the be-all and end-all thing for me as a kid). One day I'll get myself one.........one day........

Its actually a reference to the original marketing plan for the 12" GIJOEs back in the 60's.

The idea was that the figures (razors) were sold seperately from the outfits, accessories and vehicles (razor blades) and the two groups were needed to make for one complete play pattern (razor and razor blades).

A razor is useless without the blades after all, and the figures just play better with added outfits and accessories. It was a sly bit of marketing pressure on consumers that worked for years.

Unfortunately, consumers are a lot more savvy (and demanding) nowadays and the ploy seldom works with toys ( though its a staple with Barbie-- though the figures combined with accessory sets are becoming more common--- and Video games--go figure). Hasbro tried for a few years in the 90's to hawk "blades"--accessory sets--for the 12" Classic Collection line, and they sold miserably. Retailers couldn't move them, and then insisted that Hasbro NOT make figure less accessory sets for any future sets.

From that point on, almost any vehicle or accessory item came with a figure.

Notable are the 40th Anniversary line--which embodied this new thinking. The figures and accessories were packaged together in a single box, but individually packaged as they originally were sold separately in the 60's. This created attractive, but pricey product that was dead-on to what the retailers specified.

And it sold horribly.

Every package came with a figure, the consumers complained.......if the consumers wanted a particular accessory set ( which is why there were so many different sets) they'd have to by another figure with it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Classic no-win situation--the quintessential tug-of-war between product redundancy and marketing necessity.

That idea is still VERY fresh in Hasbro's mind, so if this AT stuff does get expanded, expect the expansion to be VERY timid.

Wow! That's definitely a little different than what I was thinking, that's for sure, but makes sense now. :)

Personally....I always liked the idea of having the figures (like the 12" Joes) come in their coffin boxes with just the clothes on their backs and a weapon, and then all the other accessories be seperate, so that you could buy the particular uniform, outfit and set of gear you wanted and at a cheaper cost than getting another entire figure, only because you wanted the gear and outfit he was equipped with. The figures were basically all the same, so even though I may have had the Air or Land Adventurer figures, I had TONS of uniforms and gear to re-DRESS (or OUTFIT sounds better @lol@) them in, for whatever the "Adventure" of the day was going to be with them. Fun stuff.

This is something I disliked about the way Sigma Six was distributed, with a figure in every package, and more often than not, it was just another DUKE but in a different painted scheme, same for Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, Heavy Duty etc.. :(

They were almost like the 12" figures, in that they were basically all the same figures, but in order to get some additional GEAR for them, seperately and more economically....you had to add another ENTIRE figure to the lot. This is something that I think came about from the collector mentality taking hold on the toy world. My scenario is ideal for somebody that is actually going to PLAY with these toys, and wants to buy the accessories seperately, and the new marketing scenario, is more geared towards just having everything together in one, likely NEVER to breathe the fresh air out of the package. A collectors piece with the figure in it, is more appealing than a figure by itself, and then a display case full of accessory packs stacked up along side it, showcasing the POSSIBLE different gear you could PUT on that single figure.

A kid would want mom and dad to buy that Quad Runner for his Sigma Six figures, even if the vehicle came by itself, because he already HAS a few figures, and now needs their rides for them. Collectors would probably rather have the Duke figure sitting on it in the package.

PS: that Training Tower set is one I've always wanted to get, but never took the plunge. The various things you could do with it always fascinated me ( rope slides were just the be-all and end-all thing for me as a kid). One day I'll get myself one.........one day........

I was ALMOST out of the G.I.Joe phase, and starting to take interest in other things, as a young teen would, but that tower was just too cool, and I'm going to have to find out when that came out, but I know I had to be 13 at least? Imagine a 13 year old TODAY...clamouring for this stuff? I don't know if we were kept immature too long, or if kids today are forced to grow up too fast, but it's kinda sad really? @lol@

Oh well, I know I was too old by the time Eagle Eye Joe hit the market, but maybe he'll make a return as well, and I'll make up on what I missed out on?

atjoe7hp6.png

The whole "accessories sold separately" thing is just a headache.

The collector angle fits this, but the main reason comes from the retailers observing casual buyers.

The common complaint is that parents feel that when a toy "needs" an accessory, it should NOT be separate--no matter what it is. They feel like they are being ripped off or forced to buy MORE stuff for their kid, then the item should come complete in the first place.

Its funny how people can be fickle in being so practical.

Those Eagle Eye guys ARE set to return--but in a different form.

Right now, the store Modellers Loft in the UK is bankrolling and selling the 40th Anniversary Action Man line, which is where the Eagle Eye feature originated.

A EE figure is due out soon and possibly with the Karate outfit you have pictured above.

( and that figure in the pic is an Action Man, the better hands give it away.)

If you want more info, and a North American source--check out Cotswold Collectibles on-line--they are the sole supplier on this side of the pond. The 40th AM line is doing sets that never made it out in the domestic 40th GIJOE line, plus many of the much-sought, uniquely Action Man releases. Word on the street is they are excellent repros, albeit pricey. These are figure and accessory sets too though apparently some of the sets are being broken up and figures and accessories sold separately.

And before I get over-winded, The GIJOE Club is offering an excellent repro of the complete 60's Green Beret set--which actually combines two sets into one. Only item its missing is the tall boots, of which its consider any collector buying this will have a pair on hand. This is JUST the outfit and accessories--no figure comes with this.

Okay, that's my toy-pimpin' for the day....

I hear ya loud and clear on THAT! Hell, I may even forego on most the 25th stuff, and focus on the 12" AT Joes and the newer Sigma stuff, and go for a convention set this year.

Yes, the end is near.