This Statement Bothers Me

Forcehunter

Here was Hasbro's response as to not doing all the Seekers in the various lines:

"One reason they can't do all the seekers is becuase they have to offer a variety of toys and they don't usually have enough toy space to offer them all "

Okay, so Im taking this as you would prefer to do a figure that may or may not be a hit rather than slotting in figures that are desireable and well known. You want my money but will take the risky way instead of the sure fire way. Oyi that iis stupid.

It sucks but you can't really blame them. As collector's, we want all the seekers. That's a no-brainer. However, their main traget is still kids and for a kid/parent that doesn't know the difference, they only need one or two planes at the most...not six, and they could care less which one they get.

It sucks but you can't really blame them. As collector's, we want all the seekers. That's a no-brainer. However, their main traget is still kids and for a kid/parent that doesn't know the difference, they only need one or two planes at the most...not six, and they could care less which one they get.

Umm, I think there are kids who are fascinated with certain vehicles that they would bug their parents to buy all of that type. We can't say for sure though one way or another because their are various kids and various parents with various attitudes. I would think that repaints would be a good thing for kids or parents who got on the bandwagon late. Little Johnny wants a helicopter robot he saw Billy play with. That exact one is no longer in stores. What are mommy and daddy going to do. Oh look, TRU's catalog shows an upcoming prodcut that is a repaint of that robot helicopter. A decent substitute. Let's apply that to a kid who saw the remnants of the Classics line. He sees on the back a jet Transformer and he likes jets. Unfortunately there are none to be found

. He doesn''t have to have that specific figure but he really wants a jet robot.

Honestly this whole kids thing can be used to support collectors are hurt them. Im sick of it.

I think the whole "all 3 seekers" (or all 6 or 7..) is getting a bit tired: I mean, we complain about repaints, but then want hasbro to do this. I realize why we want it done (I would've loved to have all the classic seekers..), I mean, if we get three repaints of anything else we complain (but kids might want it..), but then we want all these seekers..there's got to be a balance somewhere (let's say this occured; what if a kid wants classics mirage but can't find one through all the starscreams, thundercrackers, and skywarps?Also, they may be taking up a spot a new mold might've taken.

I can definitely see your point, though forcehunter: I think part of the problem is that toys aren't on shelves as long as they used to be. I thought that during g1 you could see the same figs on the shelves for months and months, but w/ cybertron, classics, etc., if you didn't get it w/in a limited period of time, you might have to pay crazy ebay prices, and of course many kids simply don't have that option (or the cash to make it a viable one).

They could have just put the final 3 seekers in a box set and sold it as a store exclusive. That would have been much better for everyone. That way no singles of this fig or that clogging pegs...they all go.

I don't think they would have lasted long if they did. And we'd be a bunch of happy campers right now.

No matter how you look at it, it SUCKS! We all wanted the final three and I still see a way for them to do it, but its up to them to do so. I still have hope that enough fan bitching might stir them up enough to come out with them as a Hasbrotoyshop exclusive.

Then they should have a market for collectors

they do, it's called the collectors club, which I think is releasing the rest of the seekers as a convention exlcusive if I am not mistaken. a collector market, which is limited in size, costs more than mass retail, which collectors then complain about as well.

I thought the reason was because whats his name who designed the toys decided they were boring and was sick of doing seekers

they do, it's called the collectors club, which I think is releasing the rest of the seekers as a convention exlcusive if I am not mistaken. a collector market, which is limited in size, costs more than mass retail, which collectors then complain about as well.

Eh i'm in that club its has repaints galore

Eh, MAstercollector isn't a collector club, its a rich boy club.

I was in that club and quite frankly it wasn't worth I would find out stuff about the club online long before anything ever came via mail

They could have released the last 3 seekers by doing some online deal. Sell them on the Hasbro, or some other site. Since they would not be mass released, sell them for more. If they sold for $9.99 at Wal-Mart, sell the online for $14.99. Its much better that the $300 - $600 that i have seen on ebay.

I think the whole "all 3 seekers" (or all 6 or 7..) is getting a bit tired: I mean, we complain about repaints, but then want hasbro to do this. I realize why we want it done (I would've loved to have all the classic seekers..), I mean, if we get three repaints of anything else we complain (but kids might want it..), but then we want all these seekers..there's got to be a balance somewhere (let's say this occured; what if a kid wants classics mirage but can't find one through all the starscreams, thundercrackers, and skywarps?Also, they may be taking up a spot a new mold might've taken.

I'll point out your example doesn't work at all.

You also have to consider that Thundercracker, especially will be CHEAPER to put out then new figures in the line (presuming new molds). So will Dirge and Thrust as just doing the wings will still be cheaper than whole new molds. Starscream and Skywarp already "validated" the mold, meaning that Hasbro already made it's money on the mold.

We are guaranteed to see repaints in the line. The rest of the seekers make logical sense to do in that situation because they work in the context of repaints. The main problem with repaints is that, well, that's all it is. That repaint of Cybertron Brakedown would have made a great Kup...but it was just a repaint of Brakedown. I believe there is a good possibility that figure would have sold better had it been called "Kup" instead of "GTS Brakedown". Or they will use a mold that doesn't work for the character in question. Alternator Swerve. The Prime mold would have worked better than the Tracks mold (Swerve's alt mode was a truck).

Again, we WILL be getting repaints. But I believe most would rather see Starscream repainted as Thundercracker than, say Prime repainted as Huffer. Basically speaking, the repaints that make sense over the ones that don't.

I'm not sure I could understand NOT doing a Skywarp for the movie line... they're ALREADY doing 3 of that mold(movie, Thundercracker, G1 starscream Target exclusive). Then again, it would make sense to release multiples of cheaper toys than costlier ones(buying 6 Classics jets would be the same as buying 3 movie jets).

You also have to consider that Thundercracker, especially will be CHEAPER to put out then new figures in the line (presuming new molds). So will Dirge and Thrust as just doing the wings will still be cheaper than whole new molds. Starscream and Skywarp already "validated" the mold, meaning that Hasbro already made it's money on the mold.

Of course repaints/remolds are cheaper; that's why I said they might be taking the place of new molds; it's a possibility. Sure it doesn't always work that way, but toy companies are known to milk molds; I'd rather have a classics prowl then a classics dirge..

We are guaranteed to see repaints in the line. The rest of the seekers make logical sense to do in that situation because they work in the context of repaints.

Except so far we've only gotten 3, and w/ the seekers it'd be up to as many as 8 (t-cracker, dirge, thrust, ramjet, and some fans always want sunstorm as well). I know there'll always be repaints; it's the nature of the beast.

I see your point about seeker repaints making sense; my point was referring to the idea that kids might not get a certain fig bc of too many repaints.

Again, we WILL be getting repaints. But I believe most would rather see Starscream repainted as Thundercracker than, say Prime repainted as Huffer. Basically speaking, the repaints that make sense over the ones that don't.

Well..of course. As some have mentioned, I think it would've made more sense to have a seeker box set or possibly an online exclusive. If hasbro did decide to release them at retail (which I seriously doubt), I'll be in line w/ the rest of ya to pick them up. :)

Weird thing is, Takara also stopped making reissues...sucks...but at least I gots most of them from hasbro :(

As for the Classics line, making three highly sought after characters as convention exlcusives I think was a big mistake on Hasbro's part since it appears they are continuing the Classics. For me I didnt get the con exclusives, and I'm not gonna pay the outragoues prices ive seen them go for on ebay, so I now have this huge whole in my collection. All this does is give me no incentive to continue collecting this line and therefore will likely pass on any future Classics that are released. Maybe thats just me but I don't think so, I think not getting those seeker jets will cause a number of people to really think about whether they want to continue collecting this line moving forward.

That's how I felt about the Alternators...when I couldnt get the nemesis prime..I just gave up & sold em all! :(

As for the Classics line, making three highly sought after characters as convention exlcusives I think was a big mistake on Hasbro's part since it appears they are continuing the Classics. For me I didnt get the con exclusives, and I'm not gonna pay the outragoues prices ive seen them go for on ebay, so I now have this huge whole in my collection. All this does is give me no incentive to continue collecting this line and therefore will likely pass on any future Classics that are released. Maybe thats just me but I don't think so, I think not getting those seeker jets will cause a number of people to really think about whether they want to continue collecting this line moving forward.

I agree with you Jay. I am going to have a hard time buying anymore classics. Its a sham, it was the only thing I collected other than G1.

Of course repaints/remolds are cheaper; that's why I said they might be taking the place of new molds; it's a possibility. Sure it doesn't always work that way, but toy companies are known to milk molds; I'd rather have a classics prowl then a classics dirge..

We are guaranteed to see repaints in the line. The rest of the seekers make logical sense to do in that situation because they work in the context of repaints.

Except so far we've only gotten 3, and w/ the seekers it'd be up to as many as 8 (t-cracker, dirge, thrust, ramjet, and some fans always want sunstorm as well). I know there'll always be repaints; it's the nature of the beast.

I see your point about seeker repaints making sense; my point was referring to the idea that kids might not get a certain fig bc of too many repaints.

Well..of course. As some have mentioned, I think it would've made more sense to have a seeker box set or possibly an online exclusive. If hasbro did decide to release them at retail (which I seriously doubt), I'll be in line w/ the rest of ya to pick them up. :)

Something I think you might be confusing. It seems, to me, your suggesting the seeker repaints all come out at the same time. Do Thundercracker in 2008's wave 1. Thrust in wave 3, Dirge in wave 4. That sort of thing.

My basic point is to make repaints that make sense. Simply put, in each wave, we are going to get repaints and we will get new molds. But in this discussion, new molds are irrelevant. I really don't think it would (frequently) come to a choice between a new mold and repaint in every wave. More than likely, we would get like 3 of each in a wave of 6 or something. New molds are just that and we can only hope they work as well as what we've seen. But repaints are something else. The best thing would be to get those 3 repaints done right.

As for kids, being put off by all the repaints, well, there really aren't that many for one. The seekers are the most obvious, there being 7 of them. But as you said, we've already GOT 3. Next would be Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak/(Jazz).

Something else you may be overlooking though is that, in the case of the seekers, Starscream and Skywarp, most likely, already paid for the molds in themselves. So it isn't like some kids not wanting them because they are just repaints will be all that bad. Especially if you consider that adult collectors would probably take up the slack there. Also, kids are already used to repaints and if Hasbro didn't think people would BUY all those repaints, they wouldn't put them out.

I was in that club and quite frankly it wasn't worth I would find out stuff about the club online long before anything ever came via mail

Join the MISB Club. it's very exclusive and super hard to get into. but I can put a good word for you.