Old Joes vs New Joes....Serious Debate

imthebigdawg

Well, all I can add, is it's not the emotional attachment to anything, driving my opinion on these toys. I was already grown up when RAH came along, and I judged them from a young adults pov and not as a kid. I just thought they were cool as hell, and still do. I'm not emotionally attached to the mythos surrounding RAH either, since i didn't partake in the whole thing like you guys did. I just thought (again) the toys were cool as hell! It's the toys themselves I like, and not so much the characters.

I won't buy just ANYTHING that's got Snake Eyes image on it, but I will buy every 3 3/4" action figure of him, if he has joints and not attached to a tube of toothpaste, that is! ^_^

These news Joes may not be constructed the same as RAH Joes were, but they are if fact still RAH characters, and some of that character-love is lost on me, because I don't care about the mythos, I just want some more cool action figures by Hasbro, who seemed to have a monopoly of how to make them better than anyone else, but now seem to be just copying everyone else trying to keep up and get back their position.

I know why they're TRYING to make them "better", but when you're trying to play catch up, you have a tendency to try TOO hard, and I think that's what the problem (as I see it) is with these 25th anniversary figures.

I just opened the single pack Snake Eyes, and I'm STILL not feeling the excitement for them, like others have expressed. You play around with them and go thru a variety of thoughts, that range from "hey, that's pretty neat" to "ugh..that sucks!" You see some potential in them, but they're not the bomb diggity bomb of Joes...not imo anyway.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at the RAH figs as the classics, the bar that was set, but the bar wasnt raised with the 25th stuff, it was replaced with a better made bar... so they cannot exceed it, only offer a contemporary updating.

this is pretty much my position. the 25th are arguably great figures, preferences aside, with better sculpting and technology behind them than RAH. comparing a toy made today against one made 25 years ago based simply an aesthetics is silly, there is no comparrison. the toy made today is going to be better.

so, how do you compare two different toylines 25 years apart? the only way is to consider the tertiary elements of the entire toyline, from its impact on the market to how much that toyline encompassed. that is where RAH's strength, history and relevance lies, not simply with whether you prefer the actual figures or not.

Does the 25th line need to go to the next level, or does it just need to respect the past and pay homage to it?

The 25th line is a fusion of both Hasbro and fandom. This has what the line has been evolving into for some time now. Kids that used to play with the figures are now the ones designing them.

The problem is that many are in denial about this little nugget. There is an underlying conflict beween (a.) fans, (b.) fans who have ascended to legitimate "player" status, and (c.) the wanna-bes in between who like to warp this fundamental truth.

Most of fandom is in denial about this, but it pretty much covers the action figure spectrum. Star Wars made the transition easily (just copy the movie as close as possible and borrow from EU.), Transformers maintains mostly a fan following that can keep up with the latest model (Beast Wars, RID, Alternators, Michael Bay, etc.).

This has a direct impact on how the figure is designed, received, and then reconsidered for another wave of release.

Think about it. You can't have this debate without considering these core fundamentals that form the basis of our business relationship with Hasbro. It's more complex now than simply "us vs. them" & "old vs. new".

-PJ

Does the 25th line need to go to the next level, or does it just need to respect the past and pay homage to it?

I hate to keep "flooding" the topic with my opinions and redundant responses, but I'll say I'd like Hasbro to keep trying. These 25th figures hit quite a few cylinders with the collecting community, and I think Hasbro was REEEEALLY giving it all they got, to impress and go total retro on these, with paying homage to everything from the looks of the characters as they first appeared to the packaging they came in.

That was definitely COOL!

I'd like to see something more solid done with the actual figures though, as I can't quite descibe whatever it is, that feels funky to me with these. I can't help but go back to the MLS comparison with them, as they feel that light and flimsy to me. I almost getting annoyed with the harnesses and belts on these figures, as they tend to just slide around and get in the way of trying to "play" with them, and even hinder the ability to get them into certain poses. Everything just slides and shifts and my big fat fingers can't get a hold of anything. Handling them, is like building a tower with a deck of cards. ^_^

I figure we'll ALWAYS get new versions of the top characters, so if Hasbro wants to keep plugging away at different things, I guess I'll keep checking them out.

What I don't understand are the opinions of certain fans who:

1. Have stated no interest, emotional investment, or attachment to any current wave that comes along.

2. Have stated no interest, emotional investment, or attachment to the ARAH mythos. Whether it's the toon or comics/filecards.

3. Claim to have a vague; subjective attachment regardless (to validate their existence), but continually fail to define exactly what that is.

The dossiers and character development are what separated GIJoe ARAH from being just another generic army man. Giving each one a "soul" is what revolutionized them in '82. The size was only a secondary matter to the Star Wars generation.

You can argue articulation and accessories and gimmicks all day, but that's not what kept ARAH going for over a decade. Where do you think dossiers on the backs of all the other figures in the 90s came from?

There's alot of better looking, more durable, more realistic 1:18 scale toy soldiers out there (BBI for example).

But is it possible to have any valid participation here if one is so flaky on all of the above, but at the same time hangs on so desperately to their "fan in name only" status?

-PJ

Well, to answer my own question, I'll impart the impressions of a gift I got last year.

One of those 21C XD 1/18th scale M151, MUTT Special Forces Jeeps.

Very detailed, very realistic version of a Spec War vehcile--it fits joes and they look pretty good in the thing.

This is along the lines where I see GIJOE possibly evolving to.

Not as model kits or historically accurate stuff, but as something more model kit-like.

I'm a detail freak......its my personal bias, the filter I screen a lot of toy impressions through. Some GIJOE stuff has a good amount of detail, some has next to none, I've always thought it could have more.

That radio stack in the Jungle Strike--THAT is in the right direction. The TOW launcher on top is sorta there, but its too clunky. I like the interchangeable M2 and Mk-19, but their mounting posts are too short. The JS is about 60% of the way there--but its an oasis in the Joe line.

Take the MOBAT.

Drop the running treads gimmick of the original. Spruce up the detail, add more crew slots, hatches.....cover it with Reactive Armor. It doesn't have to resemble any real-world tank--because its NOT real-world, its GIJOE. Its just has to be cool, and detailed.

They could make the stuff as snap-kits--end-user assembled. I'd be more than happy with that. I miss building the RAH vehicles--which was one of the more fun things for me with them.

Treat them more as a "serious" kit, maybe involving some simplified model-making skills--but nothing too fancy. Stickers instead of decals, maybe some cutting parts off sprues with a hobby knife--simple stuff. But load on the detail.

I don't care if they re-issue the FLAGG--I o not have room nor the disposal income ( nor the craziness) for that item. But a few smaller sets, some classic rides.....yea, I'll bite.

Something like the WHALE, or the MORAY to me, are nearly the quintessentail GIJOE/COBRA vehicles.

They have good detail, great styling. The are just on the near side of over-the-top, but fanciful enough to be eye-catching.

The NAC ( as much as I love it) is a Testosterone Toy--a copter on steroids. Its a bit of a cartoon that thing.....and neat though it be, it doesn't quite fit.........

Scale the "muscle" down on stuff like that--they don't need 12-foot diameter rocket pods under the wings.

The WHALE has completely sensible weapons on it, so does the MORAY. That is why they work. I'd like to see a return to that, but also a enhancement of it at the same time.

The coolest thing........the thing that gives me a real thrill ( ever since I was a kid) was something so very simple and "nerdy":

In the MORAY, you've got the cockpit, and there a small space behind the pilots seats. A figure can stand or sit there. Those kinds of little nooks and crannys were just so cool. We do not see that kind of thing hardly any more.

Gimme that kinda stuff again and I'll be very happy.

Its what I want to see.

Well, to answer my own question, I'll impart the impressions of a gift I got last year.

[snip]

Its what I want to see.

So. . .are you saying you're in it for the vehicles? :unsure:

Because I don't see the connection with your initial question and the way you answered it.

-PJ

[snip]

Its what I want to see.

So. . .are you saying you're in it for the vehicles? :unsure:

Because I don't see the connection with your initial question and the way you answered it.

-PJ

Here, let me help:

That is the basic question.

I want enhanced vehicles. The figures are already being enhanced and are at the "next level". Adding vehicles to the equation starts rebuilding the GIJOE line to the scope of that of RAH, but......they can do them one of two ways:

Straight re-issues, with no changes to them.

Or, reinterpretations, or enhanced detailed versions to keep in-line with the new figures.

Some collectors might just want re-issues. I don't........I want more juice out of the line.

The question is do you want more juice too, or do you want it to juice pay homage and keep the stuff the same as it was?

Does that clear things up?

But is it possible to have any valid participation here if one is so flaky on all of the above, but at the same time hangs on so desperately to their "fan in name only" status?

All they gotta do is spread the GIJOE-lovin, bruthah!

Jus' spread the love.

<just wash yer hands after, okay?>

Here, let me help:

That is the basic question.

Thanks man, back on track.

I want enhanced vehicles. The figures are already being enhanced and are at the "next level". Adding vehicles to the equation starts rebuilding the GIJOE line to the scope of that of RAH, but......they can do them one of two ways:

Straight re-issues, with not changes to them.

Or, reinterpretations, or enhanced detailed versions to keep in-line with the new figures.

Some collectors might just want re-issues. I don't........I want more juice out of the line.

The question is do you want more juice too, or do you want it to juice pay homage and keep the stuff the same as it was?

Does that clear things up?

Crystal.

When GIJoe made the switch from the 12" "blank-Barbie-counterpart-fighting-tabula-rasa" (with a handful of vehicles) to many 3&3/4" inch "individuals" with loads of vehicles. . .it was taken to a different level.

That level was media and fixed individual characterization.

It's not about accessories, level of detail. . .or a vague, subjective, (dare I say "liberal") non-objective "coolness factor". You can get that anywhere. All that does is serve to further confuse the issue.

GIJoe went from a blank slate to media-based character because Hasbro was following the trend of media based characters (see: Star Wars). The most necessary addition to that was the comic and the cartoon as "bargain basement movie tie-ins" to put the figure up and over the 12" Joe. Instead of a "Barbie-based" blank slate, you now had a "real" American hero that you could actually look up to. Why do you think they had to add disclaimers to the filecards later on?

Thus, the movie is going to be the one factor to take it to the next level. Since '82 the toy is, and has always been the secondary accessory to the character*, and not the other way around. If you're not into the mythos, you're just one of a million in the larger pool of generic toy soldier enthusiasts.

But that's not just my opinion, that's where it's going. And I hope it's as successful as Transformers is now.

-PJ

*EDIT: This should not be in any way confused with the GIJoe property or brand label itself. While ARAH is made of trademarked characters, they are still separate entities under the brand name.

Make us all a sandwich ( with Miracle Whip) and you can reply to anything you want...

I'm pretty sure "sandwich" and "mayo" is code for something. . .isn't it? @hmmm@

Hey, I've proven I can play fair. And it takes two to tango. I can keep this civil and still express an opinion that is truly a part of my own fully fleshed stack of convictions.

Some would want to mischaracterize my motives away from the issues. I don't want that. I'm yanking the ostrich's head out of the fanboy hole. My "agenda" is much more extensive than others would have you believe.

-PJ

The coolest thing........the thing that gives me a real thrill ( ever since I was a kid) was something so very simple and "nerdy":

In the MORAY, you've got the cockpit, and there a small space behind the pilots seats. A figure can stand or sit there. Those kinds of little nooks and crannys were just so cool. We do not see that kind of thing hardly any more.

Its what I want to see.

Yeah ARROW, I was the same way. That's why I used to love my Rolling Thunder so much. I loved that little compartment behind the cockpit where I would always put either Psyche-Out, Mainframe, or Dial-Tone, and Hawk so he could make decisions and lead "on the battlefield". I have the feeling that were I to actually open the R.H.I.N.O., I'd enjoy it for the same reasons.

My first Joe was also straight arm Flash. My first Cobra was Destro. Got them the same day. I was lured away from the ROTJ figures. What a great memory.

For me, the 25th figures just need to bring me back to that special trip to the store in September of 1983.

Okay, all kidding aside.........this has been a interesting topic.

I now have a serious question to pose to the lot of you.........think upon it, and answer.

It follows in the vein of something VH asked about the 25th figures, but I'll expand the question.

Taking the premise that we all pretty much accept: that RAH is considered the benchmark and would be hard to beat--if the 25th Anniversary line were to be expanded to the scope of the original RAH line, HOW WOULD YOU ENVISION IT SO THAT IT WOULD BE BETTER THAN RAH??

This is hypothetical, of course.

What attributes would you see, or like to see for the version of GIJOE that we have, at this moment, to make it as great as the RAH line it pays tribute to?

Would it be just straight re-issues and re-dresses of vehicles, figures and playsets, or would you use the figures and their re-dressing as a stepping stone for all-new designs?

Would it be another VAMP Mk II, or a re-done VAMP Mk III?? Would you want the classic HISS tank, or a tricked-out modernized version of the HISS, with loads of detail and an almost eerie "reality" about it?

The sky is the limit here.

I think the should continue the way they are by paying homage to the RAH line. My whole point of starting this topic was not whether they need to change the "essence" of the line. The "essence" is what makes the line great. I just wanted to know if people like the old or new sculpts better....I am also very worried that they may do vehicles and it kills the line. Vehicles are expensive and could go one way or the other. The only way I see them working is if they chose very specific vehicles and definately "updated" them, but used the same names...A Skystriker today would probably not translate very well. Same with a VAMP. Would absolutely go nuts to see them go balls out and remake the FLAGG...it would be the prodduct that makes everyone take notice of the line. I would be shocked to not see on the news/magazines (stuff/maxim etc)/ newspapers. It miht be something for Hasbro to really consider....Also, i would not be against them going the Major Barrage route and adding in a new figure here and there. Some of the ones they did recently would probably look real good in the new mold.

I don't usually post the "first Joes" stories myself, but since everyone else is doing it. . .here goes.

I'm part of the Star Wars generation. Practically cut my teeth on the '77 figures. And the first Joes I ever saw were from the TV commercial preview for the comic. I was at my friend Paul Perry's house.

I was stunned. I had to scrape my jaw off the floor. It was a modern day good vs. evil story that was even more plausible than Star Wars' claim of "this could all be happening. . .right now."

Then the commercial for the figures hit shortly thereafter. Wow. They all had names and abilities that our veteran uncles and grandfathers never talked about.

My friend Paul got his Joes first. Flash and Snake-Eyes. No, they didn't look very realistic, but Paul was a little older than me and kept selling me on it. He'd read the filecards like Orson Welles or a TV announcer. "A Commando is a guy who goes out at night by hisself on covert missions to sabotage stuff! I'll be him! He's wearing black so he won't be detected. You can be Flash, he knows everything about electronics and lasers!"

Yeah, I liked lasers and I didn't complain. Paul was the leader of our club and a total military enthusiast; he knew what Uzis and M-16s were. That was a huge deal for a generation that hadn't heard of The A-Team yet.

I thought, "Okay, I don't know much now, but I could learn to play war really well if I lissen to him and read all the filecards."

Paul, James, Jeff, myself. . .we didn't want to just play Army. Any idiot could do that with a stick and a bucket on their head. We wanted to know Army so we could play it better. Tell better stories. The filecards were kept safely with the Star Wars, Star Trek, and Mork and Mindy bubblegum cards. That shoebox was CLASSIFIED!!! :)

What was Project Gamma?!??

What the hell was an M-1911A1?? It sounded HUGE! We didn't have Grunt yet, so we imagined that the more letters and numbers, the bigger the gun) :D

What was a Ka-Bar, an or-di-nance, an artillery azimuth. . .and why was it all important?

Then we got issue #2 and #3 of the comic. Tons of info there for the impressionable youngster! ^_^ I was convinced that this is how it really is! We didn't have a VCR yet, so the comics and files were just as good, if not better than a TV show or movie. That's the wave we rode at the time. And every day we'd watch the toy and comic commercials praying for a Saturday morning Joe toon that was just like the comic. (well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad). ;)

The first 2 Cobra figures hadn't been released in my town yet, and getting enough flag points for the mail-order CC was a ways off (we kept losing them).

So the GIJoe team fought, "The Bad Guys" from the Sgt Rock line (still got one of 'em). :D

Then I finally got my first Joe. It was Short Fuse. I didn't know what he did, I just thought the card art looked really complicated and technical. I wanted the most detailed, most unique Joe I could get to add to the realistic play environment with my other friends.

Who remembers "choosing up" characters when they were a kid? We did that. I wanted my own Joe so I wouldn't get stuck with Snake Eyes, who didn't talk. <_< If you were Snake Eyes, you couldn't talk. That was the rule.

So I finally had Short Fuse, but I didn't even know what a Mortar was. So I asked my grandmother. She brightened up real quick and said my (step)grandpa Bud might know something about Short Fuse, "Go ask him." Grandpa Bud didn't talk to me much. He watched Price is Right, the soaps, and then he'd go play pool or work on his classic cars.

But when I asked him about Short Fuse, that was the first day my grandfather actually talked and interacted with me. He served on a mortar team in WWII (my real grandpa was a sniper). But Grandpa Bud knew all about small field artillery, its assembly, the charts, and why artillery was so important. I was really impressed that I had the only Joe on the block that could shoot over hills and walls and stuff.

There would only be a handful of other times my grandfather would talk to me like that before he died of colon cancer. One of those times was when he assembled my first Dragonfly copter.

So yeah. To me, my Joes are very much "alive" in a sense (thanks Larry) and that's why I'm so personally attached to the old ARAH. . .how about you?

-PJ

Wow obiwan. That's truly a great story. Best "My First Joe" story I've ever read. I'll be honest; when you're not giving Viper Hunter a hard time, I appreciate what you bring to the boards. I like your appreciation for the finer details concerning G.I. Joe. That's the way I am. The realism and mythos is what brings me back time and again. It's a big reason why I enjoyed G.I. Joe as a kid in the first place, and it's why I prefer the return to G.I. Joe's RAH roots with the Anniversary line.

Again obiwan, that's a great story, especially the part about your grandfather.

I have the feeling that were I to actually open the R.H.I.N.O., I'd enjoy it for the same reasons.

Open da damn thing!

There's a spot, on the left-hand side, where there's a back troop hatch and a side hatch--the two compartments are open and connected. That lil' space there between them is one of those sweet spots.

Makes me all shivery. :P

I jsut don't understand why GI Joe fans are so incredibly picky. I mean, these new 25th figures are far away the best ever in terms of detailing, quality, articulation and paint apps. I truly like the RAH stuff, like I said, I spent thousands re-buying all the original figures 5 years ago, they are great. BUT.... they really dont look as good as the new stuff. Not by a long shot.

I jsut don't understand why GI Joe fans are so incredibly picky. I mean, these new 25th figures are far away the best ever in terms of detailing, quality, articulation and paint apps.

We each have different views on them I guess. I doubt we'll ever totally "understand" each others various perspectives as to why we like one thing and dislike another? I think it's all okay as long as we can simply state "I think differently" rather than running around stating "YOU think wrong!"

Using your quote above as an example, I would agree with your opinion that the new Joes are more detailed, but then I would turn around and disagree that they're better "quality, articulated or painted".

I'm seeing flaws in all those last three descriptions, so we'd disagree on that much of it, but that doesn't mean I don't like you anymore or think you're stupid! @smilepunch@

I truly like the RAH stuff, like I said, I spent thousands re-buying all the original figures 5 years ago, they are great. BUT.... they really dont look as good as the new stuff. Not by a long shot.

I'm going to agree again here, on the fact that the new stuff "LOOKS" very cool. I think they just FUNCTION more poorly than the old stuff. Of course, there's so much stuff that's "older" than these new 25th Joes, which "older stuff" are we suppose to be comparing them to.....the ones they're all being imaged after, those first figures from '82-'86, or just anything prior?

That Major Barrage figure was a step and above those '82 figures and had they added ankle joints and hinged knee's to him...? :o OMG...PERFECTION!! I would have liked to have seen that base added upon, and used for the 25th line. The O-Ring is still better by far...imo. So I'm just not stuck on ARAH the '82-'86 years, letting those highlighted years cloud my opinion (for nostalgia reasons) as I think a few better and cooler things have come out since then, and I bring up MB as one of those examples. That's just me though, and I'm not suggesting that my attitude towards all of it is the most accurate approach, it's just different, like all our opinions. ;)

I jsut don't understand why GI Joe fans are so incredibly picky. I mean, these new 25th figures are far away the best ever in terms of detailing, quality, articulation and paint apps.

We each have different views on them I guess. I doubt we'll ever totally "understand" each others various perspectives as to why we like one thing and dislike another? I think it's all okay as long as we can simply state "I think differently" rather than running around stating "YOU think wrong!"

Using your quote above as an example, I would agree with your opinion that the new Joes are more detailed, but then I would turn around and disagree that they're better "quality, articulated or painted".

I'm seeing flaws in all those last three descriptions, so we'd disagree on that much of it, but that doesn't mean I don't like you anymore or think you're stupid! @smilepunch@

I truly like the RAH stuff, like I said, I spent thousands re-buying all the original figures 5 years ago, they are great. BUT.... they really dont look as good as the new stuff. Not by a long shot.

I'm going to agree again here, on the fact that the new stuff "LOOKS" very cool. I think they just FUNCTION more poorly than the old stuff. Of course, there's so much stuff that's "older" than these new 25th Joes, which "older stuff" are we suppose to be comparing them to.....the ones they're all being imaged after, those first figures from '82-'86, or just anything prior?

That Major Barrage figure was a step and above those '82 figures and had they added ankle joints and hinged knee's to him...? :o OMG...PERFECTION!! I would have liked to have seen that base added upon, and used for the 25th line. The O-Ring is still better by far...imo. So I'm just not stuck on ARAH the '82-'86 years, letting those highlighted years cloud my opinion (for nostalgia reasons) as I think a few better and cooler things have come out since then, and I bring up MB as one of those examples. That's just me though, and I'm not suggesting that my attitude towards all of it is the most accurate approach, it's just different, like all our opinions. ;)

well, I cannot deny that some of the new stuff is lacking, the hands particularly , it is almost like that was the last thing they designed and they were in a hurry, I would change the hands.

I would rather compare the 25th Anniversery Stuff to the VvV or JVC or maybe even the TRU Exclusives, though the TRU Cobra Trooper Tallboys were awesome and hold up against anything in the 25th.

for me RAH is , the classics, like 1982 thru like 1995 is a totally different animal and should only be compared to itself, period.

Everything after 1995 is fair to compare to the 25th stuff.

I think that the thing I like most about the 25th figs is that they stayed true to the look and feel but brought the articulation and detail up to speed

A couple of people have made reference to the fact that the O-ring is missing and that its absence takes away from the new 25th figures. However, after hearing about MOC figures who began falling apart due to their O-rings breaking down, I have to wonder if NO O-ring was actually a smart choice. I hope to have these figures forever and would appreciate them not breaking down on their own. What do other people think of this?

Now that I have all the 25th figures in hand I can say without a Shadow of a doubt they are better then the ARAH figures. ARAH will always be better due to quantity and vehicles but the figures themselves 25th wins. My only complaint with the new guys is some of the figures (not all duke and snake eyes and a few others hold their weapons perfectly) hands can't hold their weapon. Cobra soldier being worst, his rifle is way to small for his hand. Roadblock can hold his gun in pose only, move his arms and it falls out. Other then that I hope they make every single character in 25th style and bring on the vehicles!!!

A couple of people have made reference to the fact that the O-ring is missing and that its absence takes away from the new 25th figures. However, after hearing about MOC figures who began falling apart due to their O-rings breaking down, I have to wonder if NO O-ring was actually a smart choice. I hope to have these figures forever and would appreciate them not breaking down on their own. What do other people think of this?

Zartan anybody? His o-ring can't be replaced, therefore it is impossible for him not to fall apart some time down the road. I have three v.1 1984 zartans and two have fallen apart. Unscrew his back to open him up? The plastic is sealed due to his color changing feature. Why does he have to be sealed? He doesn't but they did anyway. I say good riddance to the o-ring.

I have the feeling that were I to actually open the R.H.I.N.O., I'd enjoy it for the same reasons.

Open da damn thing!

There's a spot, on the left-hand side, where there's a back troop hatch and a side hatch--the two compartments are open and connected. That lil' space there between them is one of those sweet spots.

Makes me all shivery. :P

YEAH!!! And there's one on the other side where if you stand a Joe on the peg, close it up, and then push a button. . .the Joe "jumps out" to attack! :D

I agree it's really one of the best vehicles in a long time.

-PJ