Help! What kind of paint for customizing my toys!

jahue

Ok so here is the deal. I've done a few customs nothing fancy, but I am getting more confident and impatient and I want to start branching out. Right now I have a Transformers Megatron movie figure that is dying for a new paint scheme. If anyone has any tips please let me know. Thanks

Ok so here is the deal. I've done a few customs nothing fancy, but I am getting more confident and impatient and I want to start branching out. Right now I have a Transformers Megatron movie figure that is dying for a new paint scheme. If anyone has any tips please let me know. Thanks

Hello. I don't do that myself (i wish i did) ... But i've heard nail polish works fine??? maybe i don't know..lol

Actually i have an Emma frost from hasbro and i though her eyebrows were so manly, it looked bad so i erased all her face and then i painted it again with normal thin markers, then i put clear nail polish on top to make it stay. It worked fine but she looks like she got punshed in one eye... Oh well i tried. :)

Good luck, hope you shows us your work sometime! ;)

Check it...I customize (I'm actually taking a snack break as I type this!) and If I can give you a word of advice...Don't cheap out on paint! Fugazie & Jin have bothe convinced me to pop for the good stuff. Sure you could use the Wally-World $.98 paint...but it has a higher water content; meaning it comes off far too easily! Testors, Tamiya & Games Workshop all make a nice acrylic, just explore a lil till you find a brand that fits! Good luck and oh yeah peep this:

Sunspot_done.jpg

Sunspot Medina Style

I use Tamiya Acrylic paint. Use acrylics rather than enamel coz they are water soluble. Also, easy to clean & they go on smooth.

Just like what Ares says don't use cheapo paints, they flake off easily & some of them become sticky after drying. Yeah I found out the hard way :D

I used to exclusively use Testors Enamel paints. Recently I've just been using general craft acrylic paint - various brands - and I think I've been meeting with some good success. Some joints wear the paint off really quickly but I usually just set up my figures a few times and don't move them much after that. Coverage isn't as good and you have to do multiple coats sometimes, but the ease of use makes up for the drawbacks in my opinion.

When I'm ready to paint, I always start with a solid primer-coat of pale gray lacquer (spray it on). This can be purchased in most reputable hobby stores. Lacquer is tough, durable, and forms a strong bond with PVC plastic. It also has a natural "smoothing" effect as it dries, and can be sanded if need be.

Then, I always add a second layer of lacquer primer-coat, this time with white. White primer brings out your colors better than grey, which can actually deaden the brightness.

Don't prime with enamel or acrylic; sometimes enamel paints, especially metallics, won't fully bond onto PVC plastic, and they never completely dry. Acrylics go on smoothly, but they don't bond very strongly, and can flake off when dry.

Now...acrylic or enamel as the outer-coat? Good question. Acrylics ARE easier to work with and easier to clean up...all you need is water. BUT...enamels are stronger when dry. I generally use a combo of both. I use enamels for the main color, and I wash and highlight with acrylics.