Is the MOBAT based on anything from real life?

obiwanjacoby

The GIJoe wiki states that this toy is supposed to be based on the XM-1 Abrams, but really. . .I just don't see it. The turret's all wrong, it doesn't cover the entire width of the vehicle. The front wedge portion (with the star) doesn't seem to match, and the rear engines look different too. Nevermind the scale, searchlight, or the number of bogeys.

Anyone have any ideas?

-PJ

thats why they said BASED on an Abrams @smilepunch@

besides most of the vehicles in JOE at least resemble some type of military vehicle, past and/or present

But that's the thing, see.

Because if I showed you a Lamborghini Cheetah, or a Bell AH-1 Huey Attack helicopter, you would instantly recognize which Joe toy they were based on.

But the Abrams. . .? C'mon now. <_<

-PJ

Your right about that, Obi it definitely isn't a direct representation of a Abrams but the body is somewhat similar but the turret is a big throw off

The MOBAT does kinda remind me of a Sherman a little bit, what do you think?

WHAT HE MOBAT ALWAYS REMINDED ME OF WAS A M-551 SHERIDAN

EVEN THOUGH THAT WAS A LIGHT DUTY TANK---NOT THE HEAVY ATTACK TANK THE MOBAT WAS PORTRAYED AS

BUT THEN AGAIN THE MAULER REMINDED ME OF THE SHERIDAN ALSO --------

--BUT THE MAULER TO MEIN THE JOE UNIVERSE WAS ALWAYS THE M-1 ABRAMS

I THINK IF YOU MAYBE COMINED THE TWO YOU MIGHT GET A M-1A1 ABRAMS -----

BUT YOU MAY HAVE TO THROW THE GRIZZLY IN THERE TOO BECAUSE THE ABRAMS IS A BAD A#@ TANK

YOU CAN SEE THE SHERIDAN HERE

THE SHERIDAN

DOC

EVEN THOUGH THAT WAS A LIGHT DUTY TANK---NOT THE HEAVY ATTACK TANK THE MOBAT WAS PORTRAYED AS

BUT THEN AGAIN THE MAULER REMINDED ME OF THE SHERIDAN ALSO --------

--BUT THE MAULER TO MEIN THE JOE UNIVERSE WAS ALWAYS THE M-1 ABRAMS

I THINK IF YOU MAYBE COMINED THE TWO YOU MIGHT GET A M-1A1 ABRAMS -----

BUT YOU MAY HAVE TO THROW THE GRIZZLY IN THERE TOO BECAUSE THE ABRAMS IS A BAD A#@ TANK

YOU CAN SEE THE SHERIDAN HERE

THE SHERIDAN

DOC

Yea, I agree here.

I see a LOT more aspects of the Sheridan than the M-1 in the MOBAT. The Grizzly has more salient associations with the M-1 imo.

Think is, in the most logical sense, the M-551 is the more logical choice to use for a rapid response team like GIJOE was portrayed as being. The Abrams is a large piece of gear to move around and its not exactly easy to get it from place to place. The Sheridan isn't a long gun tank like the Abrams, nor is it anywhere as heavily armored. Its essentially a missile launcher with treads--because its main gun doesn't fire a round so much as it fires a missile, iirc.

The Mauler had the bigger gun, but lacked the distinctive turret that sells the Abrams look. The Mauler is more like a arteillary piece than a main battle tank.

The vehicle I thought was out of place was the Skyhawk. It came out at the time when Joe vehicles still had that "realistic" look. The R.A.M. the W.H.A.L.E., The Water Moccasin, even the Rattler. But the Skyhawk?

Emphasis on the "realistic" as opposed to "real". Of the four you listed before the Skyhawk, only the R.A.M. would be in doubt with its side-mounted gun.

But after seeing the M-400 Skycar, I could easily envision a Skyhawk, as a lot of the Joe vehicles were more based on concepts from Popular Science and whatnot. EDIT: Go take a look at the Bell 65 Air test vehicle!

Also take the Defiant/Crusader shuttle for example. That really appears to have been based on early specs for the X-33 reusable launch vehicle.

http://images.google.com/images?q=x-33+&am...;um=1&hl=en

Swear I saw it in an issue of PS somewhere. <_<

-PJ

The vehicle I thought was out of place was the Skyhawk. It came out at the time when Joe vehicles still had that "realistic" look. The R.A.M. the W.H.A.L.E., The Water Moccasin, even the Rattler. But the Skyhawk?

Emphasis on the "realistic" as opposed to "real". Of the four you listed before the Skyhawk, only the R.A.M. would be in doubt with its side-mounted gun.

But after seeing the M-400 Skycar, I could easily envision a Skyhawk, as a lot of the Joe vehicles were more based on concepts from Popular Science and whatnot.

Take the Defiant/Crusader for example. That was based on early specs for the X-33 reusable launch vehicle.

http://images.google.com/images?q=x-33+&am...;um=1&hl=en

Swear I saw it in an issue of PS somewhere. <_<

-PJ

Well there was also the Dragonfly. A.P.C. and Skystriker as other examples. Even the Skystorm in 1988. And, yeah, the Rattler was only BASED on the A-10, but this is the only significant "real" version of the Skyhawk I could find.

You mean for the Skystorm X-wing chopper? Good find there! Kudos.

Well there was also the Dragonfly. A.P.C. and Skystriker as other examples. Even the Skystorm in 1988. And, yeah, the Rattler was only BASED on the A-10

The closest I could find for the Sky Hawk (other than what I mentioned above) would be the Nord 500 Cadet.

http://www.vstol.org/wheel/VSTOLWheel/Nord500Cadet.htm

Also found the Thunderwing below, but everyone knows that one already. Just fun to look at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_X-35

-PJ

Why are expecting realism? They had to "base" vehicles on others because for one thing it helps rationalize the messed-up scale, and it helps Habro's anti-military element happy with not promoting real military vehicles with the Joes.

I always thought it was based on the M-48/M-60 series of tanks, but I never really compared them. There are several differences though - I think you're right on the Sheridan.

Certainly not based on the Abrams, that should be edited in the Wiki article.

The Fort Lewis Military Museum, just south of Tacoma Washington, has a Humvee prototype on its display Tank farm that just scream VAMP all over it.

Stuff like the Conquest ( X/-F-29) and other craft are clearly based actual designs or prototypes and a lot of the package copy made a point of saying that the gear was based on actual military gear.

I think that and the spins they put to the designs make it all the more fun.

The Fort Lewis Military Museum, just south of Tacoma Washington, has a Humvee prototype on its display Tank farm that just scream VAMP all over it.

Stuff like the Conquest ( X/-F-29) and other craft are clearly based actual designs or prototypes and a lot of the package copy made a point of saying that the gear was based on actual military gear.

I think that and the spins they put to the designs make it all the more fun.

I agree, and I wish they kept doing it. Their own designs look like crap all too often.

Your right about that, Obi it definitely isn't a direct representation of a Abrams but the body is somewhat similar but the turret is a big throw off

The MOBAT does kinda remind me of a Sherman a little bit, what do you think?

I was thinking the same thing. It's like a more streamlined Sherman.

I'm not sure if it;s the Sherman or not, but the MOBAT IS based off a real tank. A friend of mine is into military collectables big time and he actually mentioned this to me the other day. I'll ask him exactly what tank it's based on.

I'm not sure if it;s the Sherman or not, but the MOBAT IS based off a real tank. A friend of mine is into military collectables big time and he actually mentioned this to me the other day. I'll ask him exactly what tank it's based on.

Yeah Mon, we'd really appreciate that.

One of the things that I wish YoJoe could do is add a bit about the design history in each of the archive entries, including stuff like what we're discussing. Mark Bellomo actually did a bit of this in his book. . .from what I've heard, adding the historical elements and stuff.

Again, thanks. Looking forward to it.

-PJ

Well there was also the Dragonfly. A.P.C. and Skystriker as other examples. Even the Skystorm in 1988. And, yeah, the Rattler was only BASED on the A-10

The closest I could find for the Sky Hawk (other than what I mentioned above) would be the Nord 500 Cadet.

Also found the Thunderwing below, but everyone knows that one already. Just fun to look at.

-PJ

I always thought this was the thunderwing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22_Raptor

-PJ

I always thought this was the thunderwing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22_Raptor

JoeRhyno is right, the Thunderwing is based off the raptor. Both the Thunderwing and Raptor have dual jet exhausts.

JoeRhyno is right, the Thunderwing is based off the raptor. Both the Thunderwing and Raptor have dual jet exhausts.

You know, he is right!

I was only paying attention to the front of the plane all along--err. . .my son hijacked my account actually,

and started banging on the keyboard. Yeah, that's the ticket. @hmmm@ @smilepunch@

-PJ