Watchmen

Commander Thire

Well i finished watchmen today and all i can say is wow. just wow. My favorite charecter had to be Rorschach. Any one else love this phenomanal graphic novel? Oh and are they doing the movie or not?

Showwing my age here, but I've loved it for the last twenty years. I've found that I still love reading it and sometimes even pick up on little things I might not have noticed before. As for the movie, last I heard Zack Snyder (sp) the director of 300 was at the helm, but nothing has really happened beyond a script and some casting.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Watchmen, and if you like Watchmen then you should read V for Vendetta if you haven't already. I prefer V for Vendetta, but Watchmen is a superior book to be sure. My favourite character is also Rorschach, and I have to admit that The Comedian is the other most interesting character in the book. Yeah, brilliant literature.

Also if you haven't read the trade of all of Alan Moores work that he did for DC - (Whatever happend to the man of Tomorrow, For the Man who has everything, Tales of the GL Corps, The killing joke etc) pick that up also. I also liked The Ballard of Halo Jones that he wrote for the UK comic 2000 AD.

Some of you know this but some of you might not. The Watchmen were originally the Charleston Comics characters. DC had bought the rights to them and wanted Moore to reboot the franchise, but he wasn't interested in doing same old super hero stuff, so he came up with the Watchmen idea. DC balked at basically killing off all their new purchases, so they asked him to rejigger all the characters a bit so they could still use the originals in the main DC continuity. NightOwl is Blue Beetle, Rorschach is the Question, Dr. Manhattan is Captain Atom, etc...pretty cool.

I can reread this book over and over and pick up something new everytime. I can't wait for the movie.

Yeah, DC didn't like the idea of Moore using the Charleston comics characters for interesting story telling.

The harsh part about Watchmen, and V for Vendetta is the fact that he's never going to own the rights to the book until they are out of print for a while, and thats never going to happen because more money can be made from it. Its a case of the artist being screwed in the a$$ just so some money can be made. Its a scary thought considering I want to be able to write for the industry myself.

I've seen the website for the film - Rorschach's journal with the morse code looks brilliant. Though Kate Winslett for Silk Spector? hmmm not sure about that.

One of the guys on a DC panel at SDCC said Watchmen is due in 2009. There have been several casting announcements as well as crew. Apparently the script is finished.

The harsh part about Watchmen, and V for Vendetta is the fact that he's never going to own the rights to the book until they are out of print for a while, and thats never going to happen because more money can be made from it. Its a case of the artist being screwed in the a$$ just so some money can be made. Its a scary thought considering I want to be able to write for the industry myself.

I believe that's only true for V for Vendetta. That and it's called work for hire for a reason, you may never own what you work on but that doesn't mean you'll never get stop getting money for it. Moore still gets checks from AOL/Time Warner though I hear he doesn't cash them. Most writer snad artist get revenue from projects that are continually in print. It may not always be a lot of money, but still.

I believe that's only true for V for Vendetta. That and it's called work for hire for a reason, you may never own what you work on but that doesn't mean you'll never get stop getting money for it. Moore still gets checks from AOL/Time Warner though I hear he doesn't cash them. Most writer snad artist get revenue from projects that are continually in print. It may not always be a lot of money, but still.

I think Alan Moore probably feels that its gone beyond money now for his creations, and I think he's pretty justified in his opinion, and especially considering how he has been treated in the past. He wants to own what he created, simple as that and although he gets royalties, I don't think thats really the point. As someone who is interested in the industry its given me a grander picture of how things work.

• 2 weeks later...

Rorschach. Easily.

"There's something you all need to understand. I'm not stuck in here with you. You are all stuck in here with me."

Frakkin' Brilliant.

I borrowed a friend's Absolute Watchmen this weekend. Rereading it again for like the fifteenth time.

• 4 weeks later...
Rorschach. Easily.

"There's something you all need to understand. I'm not stuck in here with you. You are all stuck in here with me."

Frakkin' Brilliant.

Agreed. I really enjoyed reading Watchmen some time ago and I think a great deal of that enjoyment was because of Rorschach. Great character.