Official Movie talk for those who HAVE seen it. SPOILERS GALORE

Starscream49

And guys (and girls), I'll have to admit to getting a little choked-up whenever Prime and the others made their debut, with the almost angelic-choir music in the background. I was just very unexpectedly (and slightly) emotional during that sequence, and I don't really know why. Maybe it was the culmination of waiting over twenty years to see something like that, but it struck me in a way that I wasn't ready for or aware that I would be.

Exactly what I was feeling......that was a great scene all around.....the introductions of the Autobots was great....although I could go without the 100,000 millionth Dirty Harry reference from Ironhide. But yeah the music was great.......I got a chill and a little choked up....total nerd moment.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...[A]t the end did Prime call Megatron brother?? Was it brother like robot brother or are they related?? I never knew that growing up, can someone enlighted me?

All I know is, the DS game refers to Optimus Prime and Megatron as brothers... As the movie and "expanded universe" is clearly its own continuity, why not?

Personally, I thought the Autobot characters came across as way too goofy and one-dimensional, personality-wise; still, they DID learn English from the Internet. (I was half expecting there to be cats for them to lol at.) The dialogue in generally was a little silly, but I liked it how Sam, after delivering the single worst line in the movie, proceeded to chide himself for the line. Overall, a good movie, but not great; I probably harmed the experience slightly by watching the excellent Pixar movie Ratito... um, Rate... that movie... first.

Did anyone catch Bays comment about this movie being so much better than Armageddon when the TF Protoforms (asteroids) crashed on Earth.

For those who dont know Bay also made Armageddon.

When that kid made that comment, the entire theater started cracking up. God, I can't wait to see this movie again!!! ^_^

I think he meant brother as in robot race.

no, early drafts of the script identified the two as brothers, which caused a lot of uproar in the fandom. while it may not have been made as big of a deal as it was in the early scripts, I am certain it harkens back to the concept as the two as brothers.

what I would like to know is how could the race be peaceful robots first, as Optimus describes in the narrative at the beginning, but when the cube brings a machine alive it is inherently bad and attacks. seems like a huge contradiction. the race seems to be inherently evil, and the autobots somehow broke free of that.

and two, nothing in the movie ever explains how the robots know that Megatron engraved the location on the glasses. there is no way any of them would know that happened, thus the entire plot is contrived because there is no reason for them to be looking for the glasses specifically.

and two, nothing in the movie ever explains how the robots know that Megatron engraved the location on the glasses. there is no way any of them would know that happened, thus the entire plot is contrived because there is no reason for them to be looking for the glasses specifically.

Well they new these were glasses because of E-Bay...Prime said that in the movie thats how they new

Well they new these were glasses because of E-Bay...Prime said that in the movie thats how they new

Exactly. Also the scene where Sam is at school show and tell and is talking about the newspaper articles about his grandfather and the symbols he drew contributes to the Aubots determining that the glasses had the key to the location. TheAutobots were very aware of Sam's history. I dunno. This made perfect sense to me.

I just saw the movie and I really loved it. I have never experienced being in a theatre where people cheered profusely when the open credits appeared. Optimus got a HUGe round of applause when he made his first entrance. His voice at the beginning of the movie brought me back to 1986 when I saw the Anitmated Movie. At the end when Starscream was shown retreating into space everyone was applaudig and chanting "Go Screamer, GO!"

I must admit I have not been this excited about a movie as when I saw X-men 1 for the first time, or when I saw Jean sacrifice herself in X2. I was like a little boy waiting to open his presents at Christmas time. I kept on dwelling on that one Christmas of 1984 when I got my first Autotbot Bluestreak, followed by Dec. Skywarp (even though I wanted Starscream). My brother ended up getting Thundercracker, and My cousins got Screamer and Trailbreaker.

My only complaint is that I wanted to see more Starscream. I was hopping to hear a Raspy sinister voice, and some back-talk or sarcasm at Megatron. SS totally rocked, and I hope to see more of him plus Soundwave in the sequel.

Megatron: "you failed me yet again SS."

I wanted to hear a response like "We failed through no account of mine, Mighty Megatron," or just something along the lines of SS's character.

no, early drafts of the script identified the two as brothers, which caused a lot of uproar in the fandom. while it may not have been made as big of a deal as it was in the early scripts, I am certain it harkens back to the concept as the two as brothers.

True but since it was left out of the script it never happened so it takes on a new meaning.

that's not a bad answer. but they didn't know Megatron crashed in the arctic, so there was no way to correlate some explorer to Megatron, and thus the importance of his glasses. very thin way to make it work.

that being said, it didn't bother me at all, I am just attempting to discuss it. at the end of the day the movie delivered exactly what I had hoped it would, and was, as far as I am concerned, the perfect execution for Transformers movie.

True but since it was left out of the script it never happened so it takes on a new meaning.

it wasn't left out of the script, it was there at the end, he called him brother, it simply wasn't explained in huge detail. I think it meant what it meant at face value, and isn't a horribly complex line that has some peripheral meaning. if it meant something different, Prime would have called Brawl brother when he killed him as well if it only meant because they were of the same species of autonomous robots.

And guys (and girls), I'll have to admit to getting a little choked-up whenever Prime and the others made their debut, with the almost angelic-choir music in the background. I was just very unexpectedly (and slightly) emotional during that sequence, and I don't really know why. Maybe it was the culmination of waiting over twenty years to see something like that, but it struck me in a way that I wasn't ready for or aware that I would be.

It was just so awesome, and worth the long, long wait. I'd like to see it at least two more times. I'm like others in that I could watch the action sequences and transformations over and over and over again. It was just so mesmerizing. Amazing, like..."How in the world did they animate that?!" amazing. (lol) Truly phenominal. It was seemingly the most dazzling destruction I've ever seen in a movie. But what would you expect from giant robots wreaking havoc upon one-another, right?

Don't worry my friend I was the EXACT SAME WAY. I'm glad someone else said something cuz I wasn't sure if I'd be the only one or not.

The only word that comes to mind that even comes close to describing it is ASTONISHING!

that's not a bad answer. but they didn't know Megatron crashed in the arctic, so there was no way to correlate some explorer to Megatron, and thus the importance of his glasses. very thin way to make it work.

that being said, it didn't bother me at all, I am just attempting to discuss it. at the end of the day the movie delivered exactly what I had hoped it would, and was, as far as I am concerned, the perfect execution for Transformers movie.

it wasn't left out of the script, it was there at the end, he called him brother, it simply wasn't explained in huge detail. I think it meant what it meant at face value, and isn't a horribly complex line that has some peripheral meaning. if it meant something different, Prime would have called Brawl brother when he killed him as well if it only meant because they were of the same species of autonomous robots.

Don't forget, the autobots said they studied and learned ALL about earth and how to speak the languages and everything through the internet. If they were combing the net looking for ANY hint of something of a cybertronian nature then they would eventually come upon the ebay auction.

They probably DIDN'T know about them until they simply stumbled upon them.

There also could have been other bits of info here and there that pointed them in the right direction until they did find the auction.

After all...the internet IS the information superhighway!

Yes the deceps found out about it by the ebay and ice giant thing in the newspapers or whatever it was... & BB was on earth longer was most likely feeding everything too prime and the bots too via the net... Man I wana see this movie again...

I decided not to go after all on opening night since I've allready seening... I was tooo tired & didn't wana fight the people to get there lol it was cheap day ($5) at my theater too for the opening movie... I'm sure it was packed as hell

Just wanted to say that I'm happy people on here liked the movie - I too cheered, I laughed, I had a good time. Michael Bay, for all his faults, delivered a perfect summer blockbuster (franchise) with this one. Nevertheless, I can understand why parents would be a little PO'd if they took their youngins to the movie and wound up having to explain masturbation jokes (of course it was rated PG-13, but Transformers is still targeted at a young audience).

I'm really dreading the inevitable nerd bitching, however. Has that happened? I don't frequent anywhere enough anymore to be aware of said bitchfest.

Ok, someone puts a gun to your head and says what race is jazz. You're going to say black. Don't lie in these forums and try and be holier than thou. Sure they're robots, but with human voice actors and human personalities. I wouldn't say any of the other robots are white, japanese, european, or any of that crap. But personality wise Jazz was definitely a stereotypical black person, which wasn't a good thing imo. In g1 Jazz had Scatman voicing him, but he was just another transformer. In this he was hip hopping and "sup bitches" and all that stupid crap.

Otherwise I totally agree with destro, more characterization would be nice but I expect that with the sequel.

Oh and the jazz thing, just to be clear I'm not saying skin I'm saying STEREOTYPICAL PERSONALITY. Doesn't mean all black people act that way, or that a lot of races don't act like that, but the way black people are portrayed in movies that is what Jazz acts like, and it was annoying and somewhat cliche to kill him first what with the "the black guy always dies first".

in my opinion i think because they picked up the language from the world wide web nd any other possible transmissions that maybe that he as a robot decided that he wanted to speak that way just like in the real world there are some other nationalities that decide they want to speak like a thug its the only possible answer cuz the movie i saw showed cybertron and i dont remember seeing anything that was black in fact they new nothing of earth until the destruction of the planet. makes you kind of wonder how he talked before he left the planet?

Okay... a few things I wanna say, most of which has already been said, so I'll try to just leave the new bits.

First of all, the big news.

I don't know how reliable IMDB.com is but on this page, maybe 2 days ago, was a quote that read:

"At one point the planet-sized robot Unicron was in the script, with James Earl Jones earmarked for the role. He is to appear in the film's sequel, with a larger role." *I know this is EXACTLY what the quote said because I copied it to a friend over MSN.*

This is now no longer on that page, which makes me believe either;

1: this is completely true and someone got IMDB to remove it for spoiler issues,

or

2: this is total b/s and they pulled it down to avoid feedback.

*COUGH* or, i could be blind and I just cant find it again.... either way.

So, this leaves me HUGEEEEEEE hopes for Galvatron and Unicron in the second movie. They have all but promised a sequel (Here) so I see this as VERY possible.

Also, I have to say this was the only movie in a year (or two?) that I saw in theater and I was not disapointed on ANY level. This movie was as fun and entertaining as it was groundbreaking, and it just felt like something new, not just recycled garbage that we've got over the few years. Althought it was PACKED to the brim with cheesy dialog, I think they pulled it off in the perfect way, making it not only believeable but at points friggen hilarious.

All the transformers were done well, but some of the best characters, especially Starscream and Megs, lacked the screentime they deserved. If the sequal comes along, I hope they focus on some of the other, fan-loved characters.

As a whole, this movie was an epic, top of the line action movie, even with a crappy director like Micheal Bay at the helm. I can't wait for number two!!!!

So I totally didn't like it that much. Haha!

I hope they get someone else to write the second movie. I thought this movie was lacking in practically everything except for action & even the action was tough to follow. Plot, character development, dialog, a conclusion...they all were pretty much missing from this film.

I don't go for the "well, it's an action movie" answer either. This movie could have been a lot better than it was.

The cool thing is - it can be better (in a way) when they put together the sequels.

Nevertheless, I can understand why parents would be a little PO'd if they took their youngins to the movie and wound up having to explain masturbation jokes...

(lol) Oh man...my older brother brought along his girls (nine and twelve, respectively), and when they said that in the movie, the older one piped right up and said, "Dad, what is masturbation?" (lol) I giggled on the inside, waiting to see what my brother would come up with, or how he was gonna get out of this one, and he simply told her that that's when someone looks at a "dirty book". I laughed and told him it was a good come-back. (lol) But it was embarassing because he was there with his girls, and my younger brother was there with his boys and his wife, and my wife and my MOM were all there. Sheesh... (lol)

But it was alot of fun because even my wife got into it and liked it. My neices and nephews discovered Transformers for the first time, and even my mom reminisced about Optimus Prime from the tv show. It was just alot of fun, a fun ride of a summer movie, and it was great. Now my dad, God rest his soul, if he had been there with us, he'd have been cracking "Optical Plus" jokes; that's what he jokingly called Optimus Prime back during Christmas of 1984 when he was looking all over creation for Optimus Prime for my little brother and couldn't remember his name right. (lol) He would have been right there with us though. He would have loved it.

Don't forget, the autobots said they studied and learned ALL about earth and how to speak the languages and everything through the internet. If they were combing the net looking for ANY hint of something of a cybertronian nature then they would eventually come upon the ebay auction.

They probably DIDN'T know about them until they simply stumbled upon them.

There also could have been other bits of info here and there that pointed them in the right direction until they did find the auction.

After all...the internet IS the information superhighway!

I'm cool with any explanation because it wasn't an issue with me that affected my enjoyment any. now, all machines being evil that are created by the cube was actually a bigger issue. how come the soda machine didn't come alive as a peaceful robot, or the cell phone, if they are actually a peaceful race as Prime describes in the opening? now that is a hole IMO, but not a glaring one, or one that affects my enjoyment of the movie. but I am curious about an explanation or rationalization from anyone who has one.

by far the best summer action film of the summer, even better than any of the last few years. balanced being a "real" movie with sound exposition for audiences of all ages with the fact that it is ultimately about toys for children.

Don't worry my friend I was the EXACT SAME WAY. I'm glad someone else said something cuz I wasn't sure if I'd be the only one or not.

The only word that comes to mind that even comes close to describing it is ASTONISHING!

Yeah man...wasn't that a weird but awesome feeling? I almost got goosebumps, as cheesy as that sounds. It was great. But it was just a big romp, and the action sequences and special effects were just phenominal. My jaw dropped durning the fight sequences. I remember realizing at one point that I was just staring at the screen in total awe. Incredible...

So I totally didn't like it that much. Haha!

I hope they get someone else to write the second movie. I thought this movie was lacking in practically everything except for action & even the action was tough to follow. Plot, character development, dialog, a conclusion...they all were pretty much missing from this film.

I don't go for the "well, it's an action movie" answer either. This movie could have been a lot better than it was.

The cool thing is - it can be better (in a way) when they put together the sequels.

but take this movie too serious and people are going to see right through it and not enjoy it. ultimately, audiences know it is about toys and don't expect it to be made with the same level of maturity as a movie aimed at adults, and even adults eager to reminisce about their childhood want it to still harbor on some childish elements IMO. I thought the filmmakers balanced the silliness of the movie perfectly with enough action and story to keep adults entertained. but put in adult dialogue and exposition and most adults are going to laugh that a movie about toys is taking it so seriously. sure, us toy fiends take it seriously, but that is also why we are laughed at, because we don't realize that nothing about these toys or their stories should ever be taken so.

now, if I ever hear a 7 year old say "the dialogue sucked, the exposition was poor, and the characters were 2 dimensional," than maybe I will see your gripe. but until then, I think the film intentionally made it so without dumbing it down simultaneously, and that is why it succeeded and why it was good screenwriting and filmmaking.

Some have come up w/ the argument that the "dew bot", cell phone robot, etc., weren't evil, they were merely feral, perhaps infantile. I mean, imagine if you were just created and you see destruction, chaos and violence all around you (heck the vehicle that comes to life has people inside it..it'd freak you out wouldn't it? In the case of the cellphone bot, it awakens it a cage; maybe it's just trying to free itself?), you'd probably feel the need to fight to survive..that's one take on it.

in the official prequel to the movie book, a group of Sector 7's scientists use Megatron's technology to make a ship and go into space, they get sucked into a wormhole and come out where the Decepticons are... Starscream scans their computer and finds out about Megatron and Earth and then Bumblebee befriends the Scientists and finds out also, tells Prime the rest and then after a big space battle(which reminds me of the G1 space battle on the back of all the old packages, lol).. the Decepticons head to earth to get the Allspark and Megs and the Autobots go after them...

Some have come up w/ the argument that the "dew bot", cell phone robot, etc., weren't evil, they were merely feral, perhaps infantile. I mean, imagine if you were just created and you see destruction, chaos and violence all around you (heck the vehicle that comes to life has people inside it..it'd freak you out wouldn't it? In the case of the cellphone bot, it awakens it a cage; maybe it's just trying to free itself?), you'd probably feel the need to fight to survive..that's one take on it.

That's how I see it. Those bots were created by people who didn't know what they were doing, just siphoning energy from the cube and aiming it at a random piece of technology in a cage (the cellphone bot) and, during Sam's mad dash through the city, the Cube was set off accidentally and started randomly activating machines.

Since it was accidental/experimental, none of them had any "core programming" (or consciousness, or whatever), and acted purely on feral instinct.

what I would like to know is how could the race be peaceful robots first, as Optimus describes in the narrative at the beginning, but when the cube brings a machine alive it is inherently bad and attacks. seems like a huge contradiction. the race seems to be inherently evil, and the autobots somehow broke free of that.

Not really, remember when Prime says were we any different (as a young species). implying that they evolved. The point of making the robots seem violent is to set up the chaos that would follow if (when ) megatron gets the cube. he could make an Army of mountain Dew machines. :)