Warner Bros. Consumer Products Names Mattel Master Toy Licensee for DC Comics & Monthly Mattel Q&A's To Begin

The Superfly

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=10&itemid=11501

Warner Bros. Consumer Products (WBCP), on behalf of DC Comics, announced today that it has entered into a multi-year deal with leading worldwide toy manufacturer, Mattel, Inc., which names them master toy licensee for the complete DC Universe property portfolio. Under the terms of this strategic alliance, Mattel is granted unprecedented access to the complete breadth and scope of the DC Comics vault of characters, which includes more than a thousand world-famous DC Super Heroes and Super Villains, such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Joker, and The Riddler. Further, the agreement includes well loved characters such as The Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Shazam!, Green Arrow and Hawkman. Financial terms of the relationship were not released.

In addition to the rights to existing DC Comics characters, animation and motion pictures, the deal gives Mattel rights to produce toys based on future DC Universe film and animation projects that are developed and produced during the term of the agreement. Mattel will support the DC Universe characters across all of its key brands including Hot Wheels, Radica, Fisher-Price, Tyco and Mattel Games.

Mattel will bring the talents of their world-class sculptors, designers and developers to create product lines that target both kids and collectors. In combination with their expertise in kids and kid-targeted marketing, product and content development, they will develop DC SUPER HEROES sections in the toy aisle designed to attract a new generation of kids into the DC Universe for the first time while fueling the flames of collectors’ and fans’ passion for these characters. With the broad scope of category rights granted, Mattel is uniquely positioned to leverage this rich portfolio across many different categories.

“Combining the power and richness of the DC Comics Universe with the unparalleled creativity and expertise of Mattel makes for an incredible alliance,” said Brad Globe, president, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “Knowing that the vast catalogue of DC Comics properties will be in the hands of the world’s most successful toy manufacturer ensures a consistency and quality in product development for years to come.”

Beyond the strong stable of notable heroes that serve as the face of the DC Universe, characters from such world renowned super powered teams as the Justice League and Teen Titans will allow Mattel to expand on their extensive, existing relationship with DC Comics to develop products that go far deeper and broader with their individual characters.

“Working closely with Mattel across a broad spectrum of our characters will increase the variety available to our fans and collectors, and help introduce the DC Universe to a new generation of toy buyers. We look forward to collaborating with their dedicated team to make toys as yet undreamed of into playful reality,” said Paul Levitz, President and Publisher of DC Comics.

During its seven-year relationship with Warner Bros. Consumer Products, Mattel has created and delivered a number of successful toy lines that bring the fun, action-packed heroism and excitement of DC Comics’ characters to life, including top-of-the-line action figures and vehicles for the 2005 release of “Batman Begins,” innovative toys for “The Batman” animated series, along with a collection of heroes and villains from the popular Justice League Animated Series and the Batman and Superman family of DC Super Heroes action figure lines.

“We are thrilled to expand our long-standing partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products,” said Neil Friedman, President, Mattel Brands. “We strongly value our close-working relationship and Warner Bros. Consumer Products’ extensive portfolio of characters from the DC Comics Universe presents a fantastic opportunity for us to bring even more characters to life for kids and collectors alike.”

- - - - -

The other release:

Variety is reporting that Mattel has finally landed the master toy license for all DC Comics properties. We know that this has been long in the works, and we expect to see at least a few teases of what’s to come at SDCC in a few short weeks. Here’s the press release:

" [as reported by Marc Graser] Mattel has inked a licensing deal with Warner Bros. Consumer Products to become the official toymaker for DC Comics.

Toy company has been working with WBCP for the past seven years on one-off properties, a relationship that began with "Harry Potter" and moved on to include "Batman Begins," "The Batman" and Justice League animated series.

But the new multi-year deal makes Mattel the master toy licensee for the complete DC portfolio, which includes characters such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Joker, the Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow and Justice League.

It also covers past and future films and animated properties.

Mattel’s brands such as Hot Wheels, Radica, Fisher-Price, Tyco and Mattel Games are expected to take full advantage of the deal.

Toymaker also plans to create a DC Superheroes-branded section in retailers’ toy aisles as part of the effort.

Financial terms of the pact were not released."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796787...yId=13&cs=1

Wow, great news! More characters in the DCSH line is what many of us have been hoping for, I'm game B)

Thats good news!!!

What does this mean for JLU!??~~ Woo hoo

This is FANTASTIC NEWS! It'll push Marvel to get their Legends in order because I'm ALL OVER the DCSH line but my interest was waning. Let's get a decent Flash figure, GL, GA, Martian Manhunter. This is HUGE! I may need to change my Thor logo to something more DC appropriate.

Quality of DC Superheroes has been….AMAZING! In my opinion, the line is toping Hasbro’s ML’s with ease. With the inclusion of other big named DC heroes now…I’m just ecstatic. Ever since the beginning of ML’s I’ve always wished for a DC counterpart line…now we can have two different but matching comic brand lines - technically three with the Indy toys coming. I can only imagine how awesome this line will be once we get Flash, Lantern, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and so forth…

I'm stoked about possibility of super-poseable GLs, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, etc... but, I'm a little concerned about DC Direct. Does this mean no more action figures from them? Will they have to change scale?

My first gut reaction and fear was that this meant DCD was over but then I thought about it and realized that prior to this the only things Mattel released were Superman and Batman and DCD keeps pooring this stuff out, I'd wager to think that DCD isn't going anywhwere and god I hope not because Mattel makes decent figures but DCD makes great figures.

I know I should be happy with this news but I dont think I am.

I'm so fallen behind with the DCSH figures.

For me, they're so hard to find and they are only availible in TRU here which charges $13 CAD for them or the comic shop $15 CAD.

I'm not too concerned about DC Direct. THere's still Marvel Legends and Marvel Select right? This is no different.

Great news about DCSH. Will there be a change in their crappy distribution?

On the bright side.....Putting the DCU next to my Marvels will be sweet! I'm hoping for a classic Aquaman. I'd say Power Girl too but the DCD Infinate Crisis one won't be toped.

My day cannot go bad after reading that...awesome news!

Same here! Fantastic news indeed. I'm finally going to get that Hawkman, Flash. Aquaman, Green Lantern, Captain Marvel, Red Tornado, Firestorm and Wonder Woman I've been wanting in DCSH line.

But between ML and Legendary Heroes and now DC.... my wallet is going to take a beating.

they've only been releasing batman and superman waves up until now because that's all they could do. Additionally they have to make the product that has the most appeal to the consumers and right now that's kids buying figures they recognize. My hope is that with Flash, Green Arrow, Justice League, Wonder Woman, plus more movies coming out in the next couple of years that we'll see more and more comic-related figures of these characters to compliment the batman and superman figures we basically have to have in the line to keep it going.

GREAT NEWS AND NOT FOR ME. I LOVED THE DCSH LINE FOR THE BADGUYS. SURE BATMAN AND SUPERMAN REPAINTS WHERE GETTING ON MY NERVES TOO. FOR ONCE I WILL HAVE A GREAT BATMAN LINE WITH ALL THE VILLAINS. I HOPED FOR A NEW CONDUIT AND LOIS LANE. NOW THAT MATTEL HAS THE DC UNIVERSE LICENSE THEY WILL CONCENTRATE ON THAT. DONT GET ME WRONG, I AM FIRST THERE WHEN FLASH, GREEN LANTERN AND ALL THE OTHERS ARRIVE BUT STILL THE SECONDARY CHARACTERS WILL BE LOST. I LOVED CLARK KENT AS A FIGURE AND ALL. I HOPE MATTEL WILL GO ON WITH FIGURES LIKE THAT. GORDON, BRUCE WAYNE, SCAREFACE, FOR ONCE AN ENTIRE BATMAN SERIE THAT LOOKS GOOD. MY DREAM #US1#

GREAT NEWS AND NOT FOR ME. I LOVED THE DCSH LINE FOR THE BADGUYS. SURE BATMAN AND SUPERMAN REPAINTS WHERE GETTING ON MY NERVES TOO. FOR ONCE I WILL HAVE A GREAT BATMAN LINE WITH ALL THE VILLAINS. I HOPED FOR A NEW CONDUIT AND LOIS LANE. NOW THAT MATTEL HAS THE DC UNIVERSE LICENSE THEY WILL CONCENTRATE ON THAT. DONT GET ME WRONG, I AM FIRST THERE WHEN FLASH, GREEN LANTERN AND ALL THE OTHERS ARRIVE BUT STILL THE SECONDARY CHARACTERS WILL BE LOST. I LOVED CLARK KENT AS A FIGURE AND ALL. I HOPE MATTEL WILL GO ON WITH FIGURES LIKE THAT. GORDON, BRUCE WAYNE, SCAREFACE, FOR ONCE AN ENTIRE BATMAN SERIE THAT LOOKS GOOD. MY DREAM #US1#

Cap lock.......try turning it off....... its a novel little button.........

Draven

I was talking to Dan Salazar from Mattel today and he mentioned that they will now be able to produce all characters in the DC Universe and they will be unveiled at Comic Con.

This is awesome news! Thanks for that additional news JayC. :D

...as long as Mattel's crappy distribution doesn't screw things up, we'll get plenty of kick-@$$ figures. They may even be available in Canadian retail stores again. I don't count Canadian TRUs right now because they only get 2 cases at at time, and they skip most waves (9 months in between receiving new figures at the TRUs in Ottawa doesn't cut it).

I want to be able to go to a Wal-Mart or Zellers and find Flash & Green Lanterns and not have to beg and beg and beg for an American board member kind enough to get the figures for me. Trust me, I've done a lot of pleading to get all the figures I've got so far, and I'm waiting for Two-Face & Cassie Batgirl to become more readily available to get some help obtaining those two figures as well.

There's not enough Canadians buying DCSH up here to clear out all the Superman & Batman repaints , so hopefully the entire DCU will finally bring DCSH back to Canada. :D

I'm hoping for hero-sentric waves. A Flash wave, a GL wave, and a GA wave would be great. Then maybe a JL wave consisting of the heroes that Kids might not be as fimiliar with aside from ther JLU cartoon (Aquaman, Atom, Hawkman, MM and so on).

I was talking to Dan Salazar from Mattel today and he mentioned that they will now be able to produce all characters in the DC Universe and they will be unveiled at Comic Con.

Imagine, if you will.....

A 45-year old man, lying on his back on the floor.

His arms and legs flailing in the air.

He is making loud whooping noises.

Tears of joy stream down his cheeks.

EFFIN' AAAYYYY!!!