More 25th Anniversary pics!

Leonardo T Dragon

Oh, I've been around the toy site world for years and actually know many of you from here and other sites. In fact, of those I remember and recognize, I am seeing the reaction I thought I would for the most part.

My question: would it have been better for Hasbro to have just left it all alone back in the early 90's and left a "good thing go out on top"?

This not my feeling ir opinion...I am just curious about what others think.

Is it better to see it redone now?

or

Should it have been left as is back in the 90's?

Well, it would be kinda silly for me to knock anything about the G.I.Joes I've been such a big fan of, for so long, and what I've collected so MUCH of, spending tons of money on over all these years. I still have all those 80's and 90's Joes, and I have to admit, I STILL love 'em, still like looking at them, and STILL think of them as some damn NEAT toys. #US1#

It would be a lie though, if I tried to claim there weren't ever any disppointments in them, in all those years and out of all those toys, it's just that I didn't have anyone to talk to about it, and now I do! Ain't you folks LUCKY or what?? @smilepunch@

I've liked some of the changes we've seen though, and some of the attempts made to improve upon the line, with added articulation and better details. I didn't like everything, but that shouldn't be a shock to anyone, as I doubt anyone likes everything anyway.

I hated all the funky color schemes from the 90's waves, so any attempt to keep the neon pastels down to a nominal amount is good for me. Having the ability to turn the wrsits is a nice added feature, and I've kinda warmed up to the swivel at the ankle. Anything else is unecessary and I think it distracts for the asthetic appeal of the figure.

I'm leary about these new figures, because I don't have one yet, and from the pics so far, I see things that concern me, but we'll have to wait and see. I've praised them anyway, based on same first impressions and updated pics and reviews, but the nit picks seem to get all the notice and the good points get glossed over.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who could care less if the things can sit down?!?! I really could give a rats ass, I will just display them on a shelf standing or in a action pose anyway.

Draven

What about "kids" playing with them? Why describe these as "the most articulated Joes EVER" when they are more limited then the older stuff?

No offense intended. If you want to not take advantage of the articulation and just pose them occasionally, that's fine. But "making them able to sit", fixing the inherent flaws, does NOT inhibit your ability to do so, does it? It doesn't make them any less fun, does it?

Well considering that these were made for the "adult collector" and most adult collectors do not play with them, the whole kid thing is mute imo. Now in a year if they take off big time, the kids will matter but they did not when Hasbro came up with these.

Draven

My question: would it have been better for Hasbro to have just left it all alone back in the early 90's and left a "good thing go out on top"?

So my final answer is a painfully drawn-out yes. It's still better to see it redone.

And after all this time, it was indeed worth the wait.

-PJ

Am I the only one who could care less if the things can sit down?!?! I really could give a rats ass, I will just display them on a shelf standing or in a action pose anyway.

Draven

What about "kids" playing with them? Why describe these as "the most articulated Joes EVER" when they are more limited then the older stuff?

No offense intended. If you want to not take advantage of the articulation and just pose them occasionally, that's fine. But "making them able to sit", fixing the inherent flaws, does NOT inhibit your ability to do so, does it? It doesn't make them any less fun, does it?

Well considering that these were made for the "adult collector" and most adult collectors do not play with them, the whole kid thing is mute imo. Now in a year if they take off big time, the kids will matter but they did not when Hasbro came up with these.

Draven

I agree about the "kid" thing, and believe MOST anniversary sets for an old toyline, are geared towards the old kids who played with them, that are collectors of them now, but that doesn't mean a real "kid" might not think they're cool as well and ask mom & dad for a set of their own, seeing how they'll be hanging in the toy section with the rest of the toys for them.

I have to disagree though, that the adult collectors wouldn't care about articulation features, especially one as basic as being able to sit properly in some vehicles, which all of us old timers certainly have, and are wanting to place the figures in. I think we all (loose collectors who take them out of the package) like to "play" a bit with these toys, before we put them back upon the display shelf, or work some custom magic on them for a dio or something, that we in turn take pictures of, and share with our online buddies.

Don't get me wrong Draven, I'm not saying your opinion is invalid or doesn't matter or is wrong or anything, when afterall it's your true feelings on it, and I respect that, I just have a different feeling on it is all. So before somebody chimes in to bust my balls about making these points in reflection to your points as being arrogant or insulting towards you in some way, that's not the case at all. I'm just responding to your question about whether anybody else didn't care as much about the sitting issue as you don't, and trying to explain why it's a minor concern to those of us who do care.

#US1#

I have never...EVER..seen a more critical group of collectors than thise of GI Joe.

In my humble opinion, it seems that no matter what Hasbro can do, if it isn't done the same exact way it was back in '82 than it just isn't right. I don't mean to flame..I am not trying to troll. It just amazes me how picky and exact a majority of Joe collectors are.

I can understand disdain for Sigma 6..it was a different universe altogether and nothing close to the classic 3 3/4". But the 25th? I would have thought that this was would be like the second toy coming.

Your forgeting the most important aspect of "fandom". Complaining. That's just what fans do and it doesn't matter WHAT line/comic/movie it is. There is just SOMETHING that could have been done "differently/better" in the eyes of every fan.

But has VH said, the G.I. Joe brand has been a rollercoaster since it's return in 1997. More so than with RAH. RAH had a uniformity of design that has held up well for 25 years. By the 90s, it was outside influences, the same as it was in the 70s for 12" G.I. Joe that forced them to "broaden" the scope of G.I. Joe. For 12" it was the inclusion of the Adventure team and a more "non-military" scope (as well as decreases in size). For RAH it was the infusion of Ninjas (Ninja Force) and ecological ideologies (Eco-Warriors), among others.

But from 2000 on, we had less uniformity and less of some of the things that made G.I. Joe fun (as I see it). Like all the unique gear figures came with. It wasn't just a shotgun it was FLINT'S shotgun. Or the weird things they tried like T-Crotches.

But even with all the stuff they tried, JvC, New Sculpt, etc., they were still fundamentally the same as what we were used to..

25th isn't. And it will definately take getting used to.

Oh, I've been around the toy site world for years and actually know many of you from here and other sites. In fact, of those I remember and recognize, I am seeing the reaction I thought I would for the most part.

(This includes both positive and negative)

This not my feeling ir opinion...I am just curious about what others think.

Is it better to see it redone now?

or

Should it have been left as is back in the 90's?

Well, as I partly mentioned in the other post, RAH had a uniformity of design that made them superior to most other similar toylines in the 80s. Something even Hasbro took advantage off frequently with their frankensteining of figures to create whole new characters.

I recall something VH said some time ago about "not re-inventing the wheel". They had a good thing going and, again, it was really outside influences that made them drop the line in 94. I think they wanted to make something different and unique with the relaunch but it didn't work out so they realized it was best to go with what worked which is why the new sculpt figures were fundamentally the same as RAH.

With 25th, I think they looked at what worked and what didn't, what they think the fans wanted and tried to come up with a brand new design that would satisfy their want of something "new and different" combined with the stuff that works for us.

But with all "experiments" there is still room for improvement. The question is WILL their be improvement?

So my final answer is a painfully drawn-out yes. It's still better to see it redone.

And after all this time, it was indeed worth the wait.

-PJ

That answer makes no sense.

As I read it, you answered "yes, Hasbro should have leftit alone back in the early 90's and left a "good thing go out on top".

Then you said it's better to see it redone and now it was worth the wait.

So which is it?

Draven

Draven

Hmm...okay.

I don't see it that way. I see that they are geared towards adult collectors. But to exclude kids would be foolish.

They intended these figures to look, well, EXACTLY like their RAH counterparts. But then due to "demand" they had to rush the rest and so they weren't exactly like their RAH counterparts anymore.

What demand? The fans? I don't believe there are any fans that have to have these IMMEDIATELY over getting them "accurate".

And lets not forget these were touted as "the most articulated EVER" yet in some ways they are inferior in articulation to RAH.

But I digress (and I think I was rambling, heh). There are three groups: Adult collectors that don't do anything with them but occasionally pose them (this includes MOC collectors), Adult collectors that play with them (this includes dio story makers), and kids.

Since the first group wouldn't really care, WHY is it a bad thing to make some relatively minor modifications to satisify the other two?

It is the overall look (ie. the RAH look) and characters that are meant to appeal to the adult collector. But it is the "fun aspects" of which articulation is one, that are meant to appeal to the kids.

If that weren't part of it, they we wouldn't NEED super articulated figures. We we need highly detailed 3" "statues" of our favorite Joes and Cobras.

That answer makes no sense.

As I read it, you answered "yes, Hasbro should have leftit alone back in the early 90's and left a "good thing go out on top".

Then you said it's better to see it redone and now it was worth the wait.

So which is it?

It was hastily edited on my part, I admit. But I'm certain the OP understands when read in context with his question.

-PJ