2nd Annual Custom Contest

Alyosha

I say second, because of the one I held a few years here at TNI (not so much on the annual, I guess).

I'm putting together a second custom contest to be held during the month of July and part of August. Prize announcements will be forthcoming, but I thought I'd throw the concept out there for you guys to start thinking about. The contest dates will be (commit to participate) Sunday July 1st, until Sunday August 12th.

I'd like to do something a little goofy, and much less serious than the tone of the last one I put one (remakes of foreign or exclusive figs). What I'm going to do is throw out three teams names, and allow you guys to put together whatever you like based on that theme.

The rules will be as follows:

1) I am the sole judge of the grand prize winner. Second and third place will be decided upon privately by a panel of three non-participating judges.

2) There will be large prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places.

3) EVERYONE who enters will receive a prize.

4) Entries are limited to two per person, however the two may be either singles or a small squad of figures.

5) There will be a special prize given out for Fan's Choice which will be voted on by you guys.

6) I'd like to see about having the first three prize winners send their customs to me, and they would be auctioned off to donate the winnings to a charity (which we will discuss) or the money will be set aside to pay for even bigger prizes for the next contest. This is open to debate, so speak your mind but be prepared to explain your opinion.

7) This contest is open to new customs only, made specifically for the contest.

8) ANY funny business with the rules of the contest will result in immediate ejection.

9) Judging criteria will be posted as the contest begins, so that everyone will know what I'm looking for. I think this is only fair.

10) No kvetching, and no sneak peeks.

The squad names are (yes, I know they are goofy, but that's the point):

Iron Python Crimson Night Grenadiers Watch Patrol Guard

Eco Star Ninja CORPS Brigade Force Battlers

Slaughter's Night Tiger Steel Force Marauders Brigade

I want to thank Phalanxx for his Duro-Steel Battalion for giving me the base idea for this concept. Nice stuff there buddy! Also, email me if you want to participate as a judge.

wait. . . if it can be any combination of those group names. . .they kinda cover every major group. . .does it have to be a mixture of all of those things? or a mixture of one or two of the things in each group?

like could you make a python patrol iron grenadier? or does it have to somehow fit all of those names to be in the group? it kinda makes sense but i think there should be some minimum/maximum as to how many of those categories your group can fall under. like obviously someone couldn't just make a night watch group. I like this idea because it gives a lot of leeway for people to customize whatever team they want.

also, i wouldn't want to give up my custom, even though if i did join the competition i probably wouldn't be ranked in the top 3, i'd still like to keep the custom i made (if by some chance i did get in the top 3) even if it was going to be given off to help some charity. i guess that is one thing that would have to be decided by the winning customizers.

and your saying each person could enter a maximum of two teams/ one figure and a team/ 2 figures as long as they are from different groups?

and one more thing . . . :) does there have to be any kind of background story for the group? and if there isn't and someone wrote one would it effect your opinion of the customs?

The idea is to make a custom for one of the three teams listed. You should try to cleverly incorporate as many traits for each part of the team name as you can into your figure (tiger stripes, night force colors, SM paint design, SB look...whatever). The whole idea is to use your noggin' and do something funny but well thought out.

Here's the judging criteria:

Each custom will be based not solely on skill level, but how well the customizer accomplished what he appeared to be trying to do. If you don't beleive me, we gave third prize to an LBC at the last contest I judged because it was "right".

The things I will be looking for in the main, is how well did you incorporate all the parts of the team name into the appearence and construction of your figure(s). I'm doing a custom myslf just to demonstrate and will have some of those pics available soon if need pointers. A good example would be for team number 3:

Steel Brigade helmet and body armor, with Tiger Force Striping in Night Force color. Add that to a body that has the Slaughter paint pattern but in Night force colors and Tiger Stripes and you've got an entry. That give you any ideas?

Anyway, any format is welcome, and your not limited to just one or two figures...if you get on a roll and do a whole squad, then your work will be judged as a whole.

The prizes are as follows:

1st Place: choice of Project '95 ReDux figure

2nd Place: action figure kit of your choice (must be in stock in the store inventory)

3rd Place: $25 worth of heads and parts from the store

Don't forget the deadline mentioned above, and please drop a line in this thread if your intending to participate. Each person who has a custom in the contest will be sent a head from the store. Any questions?

yup, sounds fun to me! any idea of the charity we will be donating to?

Dunno' for sure yet. I thought Toy for Tots is always good, but I am going to see what local alternatives there are here in Fort Worth. Whne possible, I always like to put a face(s) with the charities that I work with.

Im IN..... how do I sign up?

Eco Star Ninja CORPS Brigade Force Battlers

HA!!! That one's just awesome!!! ##1#

Too bad I don't have the parts.

Or the time. @grumpy@

Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

-PJ

if anyone needs parts, post themin the thread and hopefully we can help each other out. I have more fodder than I'll ever use so if I can part with it I am more than happy to.

i think i'd like in but i'll let you know for sure depending on when these things are supposed to me done lol.

i'm still kinda confused on something though. do we have to somehow incorporate every single one of those traits into the figures in that group or just some/most of them? or doesn't it matter?

i think i'd like in but i'll let you know for sure depending on when these things are supposed to me done lol.

i'm still kinda confused on something though. do we have to somehow incorporate every single one of those traits into the figures in that group or just some/most of them? or doesn't it matter?

I think it is as much as you can. but of course, the more you can, the more creativity you are exhibiting and thus the better chance you have to win.

And right you are sir. If you can fit every single trait for the team you choose into your custom that will go a very long way. I said silly, but I never said easy.

I know, I'm being pedantic now. But I thought it might help to parse out the three divisions to see what 'grading categories' there are in each. Remember, the more 'checkmarks' you make in the categories of the division in which you are competing, the better!

1) Iron Python Crimson Night Grenadiers Watch Patrol Guard

*) Iron Grenadiers

*) Python Patrol

*) Crimson Guard

*) Night Watch

*) Grenadiers (solo): Frag-Vipers?

*) Guard (solo): Crimson Shadow Guardsmen likely count for both CG and NW.

*) Night (solo): Night Force?

2) Eco Star Ninja CORPS Brigade Force Battlers

*) Eco- (solo): Eco-Warriors

*) Star Brigade

*) Ninja Force

*) CORPS

*) Brigade (solo): Steel Brigade?

*) Force (solo): Tiger Force, Night Force?

*) Force Battlers: From the 5".. 6"? Star Wars line with the whomping huge feet.

3) Slaughter's Night Tiger Steel Force Marauders Brigade

*) Slaughter's (solo): The Sarge himself.

*) Night (solo): Night Watch?

*) Night Force

*) Tiger Force

*) Steel Brigade

*) Force (solo): Ninja Force, Force Battlers?

*) Slaughter's Marauders

*) Brigade (solo): Star Brigade?

Actually, you are very close Middy. It's not quite so labrynthine though:

Team 1: Iron Grenadiers, Crimson Guard, Python Patrol, Night Watch

Team 2: Eco Warriors, Star Brigade, Ninja Force, Battle CORPS

Team 3: Slaughter's Marauders, Night Force, Tiger Force, Steel Brigade

I hope that helps clarify even more. I never thought that this would be so hard to pick up on truthfully. Thanks Middy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Aly, how do you want us to submit peeps for this? Email, I'm guessing, but # of photos, size of photos, etc?

So far, I've only had three entries submitted. If you already have submitted them, then please do so again to: alyoshas_corner@yahoo.com .

If i don't receive at least 10 entrants, then I'll be closing the contest off, and those who sent entries will receive a consolation prize pack from my store.