It's called "Bazooka Syndrome". . .

obiwanjacoby

In a way,I kinda see your point I think. It's basically the same with Torpedo if I understand this right. On the file card he has the personality of a dead fish,on the cartoon he's the Joe equal of Norm from Cheers.

Or Airtight being a practical joker. Don't recall ever seening that in either medium.

Is that not both the "toon interpretation" and the "filecard" interpretation?

No, it's not. In the end, James defers to the filecard as plainly stated. Joes won that day. #US1#

Distinctly NOT part of any interpretation.

This is an "At first we used to, but then we decided to. . ." example. Again, as plainly stated.

-PJ

No, it's not. In the end, James defers to the filecard as plainly stated. Joes won that day. #US1#

Distinctly NOT part of any interpretation.

This is an "At first we used to, but then we decided to. . ." example. Again, as plainly stated.

-PJ

I was talking about the fact you even CONSIDERED other interpretations. If you ONLY used the filecards, you wouldn't need to "defer" to them, would you?

Being the anal-retentive/obsessive-compulsive kid I was, I adhered strictly to the file cards when fleshing-out characters in my own mind. The toon was interesting of course, very entertaining, but definitely not my gold standard. I sometimes associate the voices of course, except most of the Cobras; they were too over the top for me. I really leaned more towards the comic as well in terms of further developing the G.I. Joe "reality", as it were. But then again, I wasn't a very imaginative kid when it came to playing with my Joes; I didn't want to wear their joints out or mess them up in any way. Pathetic, huh. (lol) Now I did have a Rambo figure that I played heavily with in my backyard where we had a sand pit. Y'know, really dry sand makes for a great mushroom cloud when you throw it up in the air. (BTW, there's no extra charge for that.) (lol) I do remember times when Destro was a Star Wars bounty hunter though, and I played Robocop out with my Dreadnoks, Chuckles, and Sci-Fi. So I did cut loose every now and then. (lol)

I guess my point is that kids are gonna probably interpret the personality of their toys they way they want no matter what. I personally put more stock in the file cards and sometimes the comic; they seemed more realistic to me in general. The comic started off kinda shaky I'll admit, but it got better. To each his own...

Being the anal-retentive/obsessive-compulsive kid I was, I adhered strictly to the file cards when fleshing-out characters in my own mind. The toon was interesting of course, very entertaining, but definitely not my gold standard. I sometimes associate the voices of course, except most of the Cobras; they were too over the top for me. I really leaned more towards the comic as well in terms of further developing the G.I. Joe "reality", as it were. But then again, I wasn't a very imaginative kid when it came to playing with my Joes; I didn't want to wear their joints out or mess them up in any way. Pathetic, huh. (lol) Now I did have a Rambo figure that I played heavily with in my backyard where we had a sand pit. Y'know, really dry sand makes for a great mushroom cloud when you throw it up in the air. (BTW, there's no extra charge for that.) (lol) I do remember times when Destro was a Star Wars bounty hunter though, and I played Robocop out with my Dreadnoks, Chuckles, and Sci-Fi. So I did cut loose every now and then. (lol)

I guess my point is that kids are gonna probably interpret the personality of their toys they way they want no matter what. I personally put more stock in the file cards and sometimes the comic; they seemed more realistic to me in general. The comic started off kinda shaky I'll admit, but it got better. To each his own...

Exactly. You take parts from all the sources and expand upon them with your own imagination to flesh out the characters.

hey guys. . . its a toy. if you wanted to you could make bazooka into superman. when it comes to "playing" with your toys, do whatever you want. how boring your playtime must have been if it was limited to the standards set by a paragraph on the back of a file card! you shouldn't even be limited by the cartoon or comic books. if you were saying those things you said as a kid then i feel really bad for your lack of imagination.

"Look, i made bazooka cut the wrong wire on this bomb and he blew up everyone!"

"YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!! READ THE FILECARD!!! READ THE FILECARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

QUOTE(pesatyel @ Jun 25 2007, 11:27 PM) *

No, it's not. In the end, James defers to the filecard as plainly stated. Joes won that day. 893USA1-thumb.gif

uhh so the cartoon isn't gi joe to you? so then why did you watch it and why do you know so much about it if you deny it in such a way?

the show was meant to be entertaining not historically accurate so to say. i know how you feel if you're looking at it that way. i get kinda mad when movies go way off track when it comes to being historically accurate, but it all becomes meaningless if the story is good and it is well executed. i for one like the goofiness of bazooka. sometimes he's a goof in my joeverse and sometimes he's a hero. does it really matter either way?