I Don't Know If Anyone Has Ever Asked....

madman1366

Probably the toys first. I was 3 in '84 when it debuted, and got my first Transformers (Ironhide and Dirge) for my 4th birthday and that's the earliest memory of TFs I can recall. So Toys -> Cartoon -> Comic I'd say.

Toys.

For me it was G1 Jazz, Soundwave and Trailbreaker.

Got em with my allowance as soon as they came out. Then I saw the show and I've been broke ever since.

Starman

Toys I duno...

But TF ...

I duno either :D

I am pretty sure I just stumbled on the toon though like everyone else... I remember watching the first ep I think + others...

that part of my life is really just a blurr to me though :D

toys :) in 2001 when RID came out, I saw the new toys online through these forums, went out and bought some, and started watching the cartoon, I was hooked instantly

actually for me it's a more recent thing... when i heard they were making the movie a long time ago, i decided that i'd hunt down the G1 show and watch a bit of it to get myself acquainted with the idea.

watching a bit of it turned into watching all of it.

watching all of it turned into branching out into other shows

branching out turned into casually reading the comics.

that turned into me telling myself no matter WHAT, i am NOT buying transformers toys... i collect enough lines as it is, i told myself, and once you go down that road there's no turning back

...that turned into starting to collect Transformers.

For me it was most definitely the toys. I was actually hooked before they came out as TF's though. I saw the old Diakron line at TRU, mainly the red Sunstreaker, and I was just instantly hooked. I thought they were quite simply the coolest things I could ever imagine!

I was a fan of some late 70's and early 80's robot shows already at the time so it was a natural progression to TF's.

I remember going to TRU for months just staring at the Diakron figs until I actually had the money to buy one. When TF's finally hit that just pushed me over the edge.

Toys and the toon!

When in 1984 I was only 4 years old, and since I've had multiple concussions, seizures and other neurological traumas I don't remember if it was the toys or the toon, lol. Probably the cartoon but there's no way for me to remember. The first Transformers memory though was when my brother got Prime for his first successful use of the toliet if you follow me. I was so pissed that day. Ultimately I wound up with him though.

Like most kids, toys became passe for me in middle school and high school but sometime in sophomore or junior year my parents found a Machine Wars Prime and got it for me for Christmas. It reawakened something in me and I became a collector then. I didn't have much money, there was little to no internet in 1996-1997 and there were few Transformers on the shelves so I didn't have much to collect but by the time college rolled around I had begun my collecting again, based solely on that one toy and re-runs of Beast Wars and Beast Machines. In my junior year of college RiD came out in Japan and I remember importing Prime and Magnus and being tickled pink about having them, and my collecting days really started then. So while I cannot attribute my original fascination to anything, but more recent fascination is directing tied to a toy.

It was the toys,I remember seeing them on the shelf before I ever saw the show....I would beg my mother to take me to the mall just to look at Megatron(G1) among others.....I really miss those days.....

Oh yeah I should add I was collecting g1 before bw (did not get into collecting the bw stuff though till the TM era )started & then bw only added more fuel to the fire... How ever I don't think I had the net until around the last few seasons of beastwars... & even when I did get the net I was still only posting on news groups and such (Uhg... ) I did not find this site until I think around or some time before the TF armada time ... Cause I wanted to win that unicron ...

which I DID! @jump# @jump# Best thing I've ever one in my life ... still sitting proudly misb on shelf :P

For me it was the toys.Back in 1984 you had Go bots and the Transformers.I thought the Transformers were better.They had a batter story line behind it with the cartoon and better character development.The first Transformer I has was Hound.Great looking figure.

Definitely toons. It's what made me get into them. That and Joe. @lol@