Translating HASBRO...

So No Tornato

the price of oil is not the reason for the price increase. this is just hasbro being greedy with the marvel license.

You've got to be joking. Oil is causing the price on almost everything to go up, gasoline not included.

the cost of oil maybe high here in north america but it is cheaper in other countries. then again you might not have known that. so it still costs the same as it did with toybiz. so once again it boils down to one thing , and that is GREED!!!

LMAO. Talk to anyone who lives in Europe and pays the equivalent of $5-6+ for a gallon of gas (obviously, they don't buy their gas by the gallon as they are on the metric system). What's going on here SUCKS but we are just catching up w/ the rest of the world, trust me. Not sure what 3rd-world countries you have been to, but most of the industrialized world pays a lot more for their gas than we do. Then again you might not have known that.

Oil prices are not the only reason for the price increase but they are one of the reasons, whether you want to believe it or not. And I can't believe you just made me *almost* defend Hasbro there. Not cool. @grumpy@

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it really kill Hasbro to apply a few more little dabs of paint to their Marvel Legends figures, and include a flying stand here and there? Hasbro is one of the biggest companies in the world, they are not suffering, in fact they're super rich. There's no need to apologize for them. So what's the problem?

The way Hasbro will see it, is that if ML sells are too low because of minimal paint apps, low accesories , etc, they may then consider adding these things to the figures. But they would only do this because not doing so cuts into their profit expectations. Or they could just drop the line. Huge corporations like Hasbro only respond to one thing: the bottom line.

Hasbro needs to step it up, stop cutting corners, and keep their prices fair, or Marvel Legends will get driven into the ground.

the price of oil is not the reason for the price increase. this is just hasbro being greedy with the marvel license.

You've got to be joking. Oil is causing the price on almost everything to go up, gasoline not included.

the cost of oil maybe high here in north america but it is cheaper in other countries. then again you might not have known that. so it still costs the same as it did with toybiz. so once again it boils down to one thing , and that is GREED!!!

LMAO. Talk to anyone who lives in Europe and pays the equivalent of $5-6+ for a gallon of gas (obviously, they don't buy their gas by the gallon as they are on the metric system). What's going on here SUCKS but we are just catching up w/ the rest of the world, trust me. Not sure what 3rd-world countries you have been to, but most of the industrialized world pays a lot more for their gas than we do. Then again you might not have known that.

Oil prices are not the only reason for the price increase but they are one of the reasons, whether you want to believe it or not. And I can't believe you just made me *almost* defend Hasbro there. Not cool. @grumpy@

first off i do not go around to 3rd world countries nor have i been to europe but it apparently seems you know people there. see your talking about how much a gallon of gas costs where as i am talking about the price of oil. price of oil by the barrel is cheaper than gas by the gallon. you don't see them by oil by the gallons now do you. then again you might not have known that. and yes i do know the oil prices are not the only reason. and yes i do believe there are other reasons. no one made you "almost" defend hasbro, that one is all on you. and as far as catching up with the rest of the world, well let's just say there's more to it than you happen to know. also with you replying to my earlier posts and making yourself sound like a smart ass, that is not cool.

Why is it "GREED" ????

I like to make money.

Presumably, you do, too...or do you work for free? (if, in fact, you actually have a job)

Companies like too make money...in fact, that's why they exist...to make money, and turn a profit for their investors.

So why is HASBRO, or the oil companies, "greedy"?? They are offering a service, for which they'd like to be paid.

That's capitalism. It's a beautiful thing. It's why the world works. It brings freedom...and keeps costs low.

So again...Why is it "GREED" ????

first off i do not go around to 3rd world countries nor have i been to europe but it apparently seems you know people there. see your talking about how much a gallon of gas costs where as i am talking about the price of oil. price of oil by the barrel is cheaper than gas by the gallon. you don't see them by oil by the gallons now do you. then again you might not have known that. and yes i do know the oil prices are not the only reason. and yes i do believe there are other reasons. no one made you "almost" defend hasbro, that one is all on you. and as far as catching up with the rest of the world, well let's just say there's more to it than you happen to know. also with you replying to my earlier posts and making yourself sound like a smart ass, that is not cool.

I realize you were talking about oil. Most people could care less what the price of oil is, except that it has a direct effect on the price of gasoline (since that is how gas is made) which, in turn, has a direct effect on the price of everything we consume. To think the skyrocketing price of oil has nothing to do w/ the increase in the price of figures is beyond foolish. And don't backtrack now and say that you acknowledge the increase in oil prices is a factor, because just one post ago you said "so it still costs the same as it did with toybiz. so once again it boils down to one thing , and that is GREED!!!" Fact is, you have no idea what you are talking about, you are just looking for an excuse to bash Hasbro. I'm usually all for that and like to do it myself, but try to actually make sense when you do it next time.

I realize you were talking about oil. Most people could care less what the price of oil is, except that it has a direct effect on the price of gasoline (since that is how gas is made) which, in turn, has a direct effect on the price of everything we consume. To think the skyrocketing price of oil has nothing to do w/ the increase in the price of figures is beyond foolish. And don't backtrack now and say that you acknowledge the increase in oil prices is a factor, because just one post ago you said "so it still costs the same as it did with toybiz. so once again it boils down to one thing , and that is GREED!!!" Fact is, you have no idea what you are talking about, you are just looking for an excuse to bash Hasbro. I'm usually all for that and like to do it myself, but try to actually make sense when you do it next time.

`

if you do not like what i am saying than go f yourself. and bythe way i was not backtracking anything. i said in that post that it costs the same to make the figure as it did when toybiz did them, not the cost of oil. i have been saying a long time it was all about GREED. you seem to have a problem with understanding this. i understand if you may seem to be a little slow, but i really do not care. and just to let you know i am not looking for an excuse to bash hasbro. i would be just as upset if toybiz raised the price and took out all the extras.

But Toybiz wasn't paying royalties. That alone would up the price somewhat in Hasbro's case. Hence why Joes are a few bucks cheaper single packed than Star Wars figures and at the same size/articulation/accessories. I think the point is throwing out the word Greed when in conjunction with a company. Seems kind of silly. Trying to make more money? What ever was a multi-billion dollar corporation thinking?

Very mature. You're not smart enough to comprehend what is obvious to everyone else so you tell me to go f' myself. You can tell 5th grade is out for the summer already.

If you haven't noticed, the price for all figures in general has risen noticeably in the past 6 months. Do you know what the SRP is on the new Legendary Comic Book Heroes series (yeah, the ones done by Toy Biz)? That's right...$9.99. Guess what...NO comic book. You need a reality check. A couple more series by TB and we would have seen the same thing. They would have dropped the comic and raised the price because they have no choice. They already shrunk the BAF on their last couple series and dropped planned pack-ins. Why do you think they did that?

And yes, you did backtrack. First you say "it boils down to one thing , and that is GREED." Then when people call you out on it you say "yes i do know the oil prices are not the only reason." If you thought it was ALL about greed and that's the ONLY reason, how could the oil prices be one of the reasons then? I would have thought you would have played the "greedy toy company" card again in that situation instead of admitting that there are multiple factors. But the fact is, you have no idea what to think so you tucked your tail between your legs. Maybe instead of running your mouth and continuing to make a jackass of yourself you should sit down and figure out exactly what you opinion actually is, because I don't think you know.

Hasbro sucks and they are obviously out to make a buck over anything else, but anyone who thinks that is the only reason for the price hike is a fool.

Actually, capitalism and money-based values are the reason the world is so messed up. You got it backwards.

If you actually believe that, then you know nothing of world history, politics, or economics.

If you actually beleive that, then please explain why the capitalist countries are far more advanced socially, politically, and economically than the rest of the world...c'mon...please...explain yourself.

I'd say that you're backwards, but that would be a compliment. You're not backwards...you're completely clueless.

#US1#

WHAT are they teaching in schools today?!?!?

If you actually believe that, then you know nothing of world history, politics, or economics.

If you actually beleive that, then please explain why the capitalist countries are far more advanced socially, politically, and economically than the rest of the world...c'mon...please...explain yourself.

No, that's why individual capitalist nations work. Not the world as a whole.

If you know anything about capitalism, you know that in a capitalist society, someone has to get the short stick, by definition. If there are rich folk, then it's inevitable that there will also be poor folk. Translate that into nations: when there are rich nations (the West), there's also going to be poor nations (essentially everyone else). This is what you should have been thinking about when you saw the term "the world." I think you should have considered what you were saying before going into a condescending knee-jerk reaction. You're only making your fellow Americans look like uneducated tools.

That said, I agree that Hasbro can't be blamed for trying to come up with ways to make more money. It's only natural, since that's the way any business works. However, Hasbro has a tendency to make cost-cutting decisions that ultimately result in an inferior product, be it lack of paint, poor sculpting, different kinds of plastic, leaving out accessories, etc. I know that Hasbro has to pay a licensing fee (which, as someone explained, is the reason a 3 inch R2-D2 goes for $6.50), and it costs more now to produce plastic than it did two years ago. But in comparison to Hasbro's past actions, their current actions are rather miserly.

I mean, look at the BAFs. They've been getting smaller since the tail end of Toy Biz's run. Annihilus was shrimpy, but passable- you only needed to buy six figures to get him. Blob is a well-scaled figure... But dividing Blob's pieces into a nine-figure wave? Come on. The only Toy Biz BAFs divided into such large portions were the really big guys (though they did kind of screw us with Onslaught, but the large-sized Abomination and Blackheart made it easier). Fin Fang Foom is supposed to be huge, but we'll wait to see if he's a decent size for a twelve-figure span.

Really, I'd be satisfied if they agreed not to divide their smaller BAFs among larger waves (with only stuff like Fin Fang Foom being divided among 10-12 figures), and at least included (as someone mentioned) the same clear "flying" stand that Toy Biz included in a few release. Did they ever buy that mold from Toy Biz? If not, it couldn't be too hard to make their own version. And once they have the mold, Hasbro can partake in their favorite activity: reusing molds.

No, that's why individual capitalist nations work. Not the world as a whole.

If you know anything about capitalism, you know that in a capitalist society, someone has to get the short stick, by definition. If there are rich folk, then it's inevitable that there will also be poor folk. Translate that into nations: when there are rich nations (the West), there's also going to be poor nations (essentially everyone else). This is what you should have been thinking about when you saw the term "the world." I think you should have considered what you were saying before going into a condescending knee-jerk reaction. You're only making your fellow Americans look like uneducated tools.

Thanks again for proving my point. You know nothing about economics, and next-to-nothing about world history or politics.

Your assertion that "in a capitalist society, someone has to get the short stick, by definition. If there are rich folk, then it's inevitable that there will also be poor folk" is sophomoric, and 100% dead-wrong.

The economy is not a zero-sum game. In other words, the reason you don't have a yacht is NOT because the guy down the street has one, and he took yours. The reason he has one is because he worked his ass of and earned it, while you didn't. And that's makes you jealous...and envious.

Envy and class anger do not combine to make a viable economic or political system. They make socilaism and communism, two of the most absolutely inefficient systems ever developed.

Capitalism is actually the great equalizer, because it separates the wheat from the chaff. People rise and fall on their own abilities and ambition, and provide that you're not breaking the law, the sky's the limit - as well it should be.

So, in essence, if capitalist nations "work", and the rest of the world doesn't, it's because the rest of the world isn't capitalist. And don't try some lame example like China...the only reason China is economically viable is precisely because they adopted free-market, capitalistic reforms n the 1980's that allowed them to prosper today.

I did consider what I was saying...and I stand by it completely. Again (with feeling):

You know nothing about economics.

The state of our educational system is pathetic.

The economy is not a zero-sum game. In other words, the reason you don't have a yacht is NOT because the guy down the street has one, and he took yours. The reason he has one is because he worked his ass of and earned it, while you didn't. And that's makes you jealous...and envious.

You misunderstood what I said. I didn't say that people are poor solely because others are rich. But resources are limited, and if one individual controls more of them, it's only natural that there will be less to go around. Yachts aren't finite- but money is. You're describing the capitalist ideal, not the reality. You seem to believe capitalism is a perfect system. It's a good system, but by no means perfect.

You sound like you've taken a few courses in economics, considering you know the theory, but don't seem to understand the practice or are a blind elitist, which I sincerely hope not, though you do seem to believe I favor communism (another knee-jerk reaction). Might I suggest you also take a few sociology courses? They go a long way towards painting a complete picture.

Lots of great points here on both sides make me realize that both companies have there ups and downs. I can live with Hasbros limited articulation, higher price and even Emma Frost's ugly head. It's the lack of availability that drives me crazy. Half the year has gone by and I still haven't seen Series 2 out at the major retailers. On the upside for Hasbro, figure choice has been pretty darn good for me, especially if the latest rumors are true. I'm still geeking out about the chance of a Hellcat/Valkrye figure, or maybe a Son of Satan or Doc Samson? Too cool.

Toy Biz did make some awesome stuff, but they also made some things that frustrated me as well.

My Hawkeye required glue gun surgery from a tight paint wash after I tried to adjust his foot.

Not to mention that I had to buy him, the Vision, Juggernaut, Cable and Phoenix off ebay b/c I never saw them in a store.

I remember detesting the huge Adam's apple the Black Widow had and not initially buying her. Now she can hide it by sitting on Hercules' shoulders (who I love BTW) and looking down.

I remember thinking WTH did they make this version of Storm?

I'm still pissed about how the stupid looking Wasp was the mainstream release, while the true representation of the character was the variant (or unmade variant).

Figure choices weren't always the best when you consider ManThing, Omega Red, Doc Ock & Green Goblin (when Spidey has his own line) have been made, but we've yet to see Black Bolt, Wrecker or Vindicator. Not to mention that one guy really wants a Namor in green trunks.

Anyhow, 2 sides to every coin. Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on a Black Knight and a Hydra Soldier. And I can't wait to see what series 4 looks like. Hasbro sculpting (the most important thing to me) seems to be improving with each wave.

actally i dont have a problem with hasbro the paint job looks cleaner and the only difrence is that they dont come with comics wich no one even used and in toybizs last series they didnt come the bases and there wernt any accessorys the only thing they need to improve is there head sculps.And if what we hears true we have a hulk,spider man 3 ect. seires coming .I say at least wait till comic con to judge them.

You sound like you've taken a few courses in economics, considering you know the theory, but don't seem to understand the practice or are a blind elitist, which I sincerely hope not, though you do seem to believe I favor communism (another knee-jerk reaction). Might I suggest you also take a few sociology courses? They go a long way towards painting a complete picture.

More than a few. And I know both the theory and the practice...can you say the same??

And you're probably unaware of this, but whether or not you favor communism, your rhetoric is Socialism 101.

By the way, a course in Sociology, which is a meaningless, non-academic discipline, won't help you understand economics...but they will feed a grievance "us-vs.-them" mentality.

Elitist? Hardly. It's not my fault that I know more about this than you do. Take advantage of our great, near-perfect capitalist system, and get an education.

More than a few. And I know both the theory and the practice...can you say the same??

And you're probably unaware of this, but whether or not you favor communism, your rhetoric is Socialism 101.

By the way, a course in Sociology, which is a meaningless, non-academic discipline, won't help you understand economics...but they will feed a grievance "us-vs.-them" mentality.

Elitist? Hardly. It's not my fault that I know more about this than you do. Take advantage of our great, near-perfect capitalist system, and get an education.

The more you write, the more you project your ignorance onto other people. You sound like you graduated from the school of Bill O'Reily. Try thinking outside the box for a sec and maybe you'll see the world through a broader lens. Sociology is "meaningless" you say? That's like saying History or Math is meaningless. Dude, get a clue.

The more you write, the more you project your ignorance onto other people. You sound like you graduated from the school of Bill O'Reily. Try thinking outside the box for a sec and maybe you'll see the world through a broader lens. Sociology is "meaningless" you say? That's like saying History or Math is meaningless. Dude, get a clue.

@loll@

Comparing hard science like math or a true academic discipline like history to a pseudo-academic "non-discipline" like Sociology is about what I'd expect from someone whose "nom-de-plume" is "SatanLovesYou".

By the way, other than attacking my position, let's hear you try and refute it. Go ahead...try. I'm all giddy with anticipation at what will most certainly be your stunning insights.

Also...the phrase "thinking outside the box" is most often applied by folks who truly can't...as your reply illustrates.

Thank me very much!

@loll@

@loll@

Comparing hard science like math or a true academic discipline like history to a pseudo-academic "non-discipline" like Sociology is about what I'd expect from someone whose "nom-de-plume" is "SatanLovesYou".

By the way, other than attacking my position, let's hear you try and refute it. Go ahead...try. I'm all giddy with anticipation at what will most certainly be your stunning insights.

Also...the phrase "thinking outside the box" is most often applied by folks who truly can't...as your reply illustrates.

Thank me very much!

@loll@

Bonz...stop wasting your time. He's clueless.

#US1#

So, fields which you are interested in are "true academic discipline"s, but studies that don't appeal to you are "meaningless" and "pseudo-academic"? How very self-centered of you. Maybe if you bothered studying a field like sociology you would actually understand how economics is played out in real life and how it affects the world around us. All disciplines of study matter, all of them are equally important.

If you really think capitalism and money-based values are so great, why don't you take a look at the state of the world? Most people on the planet are without health care, live in poverty, education is in the toilet, and we're facing a global ecological crisis. It's messed up and getting worse. Don't you think maybe it's time we started to broaden our sphere of values to include more than just profit margins?

In order to understand that a paradigm shift is necessary, you must first realize you are operating from within a paradigm. Only then can you have a paradigm shift which allows you to see more. Break out of your box and be free.

So, fields which you are interested in are "true academic discipline"s, but studies that don't appeal to you are "meaningless" and "pseudo-academic"? How very self-centered of you. Maybe if you bothered studying a field like sociology you would actually understand how economics is played out in real life and how it affects the world around us. All disciplines of study matter, all of them are equally important.

If you really think capitalism and money-based values are so great, why don't you take a look at the state of the world? Most people on the planet are without health care, live in poverty, education is in the toilet, and we're facing a global ecological crisis. It's messed up and getting worse. Don't you think maybe it's time we started to broaden our sphere of values to include more than just profit margins?

In order to understand that a paradigm shift is necessary, you must first realize you are operating from within a paradigm. Only then can you have a paradigm shift which allows you to see more. Break out of your box and be free.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! I couldn't have asked for a more cliche-filled response!!!

Now, let's begin to dissect you talking points...this should be FUN!

Sorry, but no. My personal preferences have nothing to do with it. Facts are facts...and the fact of the matter is that mathematics IS a "hard science", meaning that by and large, it's priciples haven't been corrupted by soft, squishy, flavor-of-the-month academic theories. On the other hand, "Sociology" is nothing but soft, squishy, flavor-of-the-month academic theories that have little use in the real world.

I guess we know what your personal preferences are...

You're wrong on so many levels here that I don't know where to begin. As I stated previously, you know little of economics, politics, or world history. This response proves it...again.

Capitalism is great because capitalism is the great equalizer. It is the most humane, most compassionate, and most liberal form of economic policy that has EVER existed. Because of capitalism and the "profit motive" (as you so derisively refer to it), we live in a world where incredibly smart and incredibly dedicated people are free to accomplish amazing things that benefit mankind, all in the name of "evil" profits.

The reason that so many people live poverty and desperation is due to a lack of capitalism, NOT because of it. They live in societies (mostly socialist societies) that are neither politically nor economically free, and they suffer greatly from it. The best example is where they choose to go when they get a chance to leave the crap-hole countries they live in - they come here, to the USA, to seek a better life in a free, capitalist system. In other words, if the entire world was a lot like the USA, then the world would be a much better place.

Hopefully, that makes sense to you now.

I absolutely love it when people say "paradigm"...it's a way of sounding smart, without acrtually saying anything.

While we're on the subject...what "paradigm" do you operate from? Looks like one that is incredibly weak on economics, politics, history, and how the world actually works.

In that regard, I'm happy to help you achieve your "shift"...

@loll@

Sorry, but no. My personal preferences have nothing to do with it. Facts are facts...and the fact of the matter is that mathematics IS a "hard science", meaning that by and large, it's priciples haven't been corrupted by soft, squishy, flavor-of-the-month academic theories. On the other hand, "Sociology" is nothing but soft, squishy, flavor-of-the-month academic theories that have little use in the real world.

Hard sciences do not account for the human mind or experiences beyond the neurosciences. The orthodox view is that everything is mechanistic, placing human beings outside of nature, at war with the self. An integral approach, which is what I would advocate instead, brings into account the full spectrum, allowing us to study both the hard sciences as well as causal factors. Math is just as important as psychology, economics is as important as sociology, etc. If we only look at the world through a mechanistic perspective we end up divorcing ourselves from nature and missing out on the big picture. All knowledge is equally important.

Capitalism is great because capitalism is the great equalizer. It is the most humane, most compassionate, and most liberal form of economic policy that has EVER existed. Because of capitalism and the "profit motive" (as you so derisively refer to it), we live in a world where incredibly smart and incredibly dedicated people are free to accomplish amazing things that benefit mankind, all in the name of "evil" profits.

The reason that so many people live poverty and desperation is due to a lack of capitalism, NOT because of it. They live in societies (mostly socialist societies) that are neither politically nor economically free, and they suffer greatly from it. The best example is where they choose to go when they get a chance to leave the crap-hole countries they live in - they come here, to the USA, to seek a better life in a free, capitalist system. In other words, if the entire world was a lot like the USA, then the world would be a much better place.

Capitalism is not "humane" or "compassionate", these are not part of its value-sphere. Capitalism has one interest, one motive, one goal ONLY, always and forever - profit. This means human life, the environment, the future, nothing matters beyond the profit motive, because this is their highest value. If you believe another story that's because you've bought into the tale of the elite, which wants you to think capitalism is the greatest thing to ever happen to humanity. Capitalism serves the interests of the super rich, no one else. You ever heard of a thing called "labor history"? Try checking it out sometime.

If the entire world subscribed to American values the planet would be completely depleted of all resources in a few years. The American ideal is not feasible for our future or the world, in fact it's a recipe for total disaster.

The problem here is not making money per se, but rather money as the #1 value. Anytime you place cash as a value above human life and the environemnt, we have a problem. Our entire system is based off this problem.

I absolutely love it when people say "paradigm"...it's a way of sounding smart, without acrtually saying anything.

While we're on the subject...what "paradigm" do you operate from? Looks like one that is incredibly weak on economics, politics, history, and how the world actually works.

In that regard, I'm happy to help you achieve your "shift"...

Why would you mock a paradigm shift? To say this doesn't have meaning is a sign of your own limited worldview.

This has become the longest running pissing contest I have quite possibly seen. Ever. Not to try and burst in on the psychological/philosophical/morale fiber/ethical battle of wits - but I believe Capitalism has done one thing and one thing only. It hijacked this thread several pages ago. A thread devoted to defacing Hasbro for not answering questions about upcoming and future issues that are probably not readily known to the PR guys writing to QA sessions on the intraweb. I found the newest Shortpacked to be very much insightful to the problem of ambiguous questions.

I appreciate the humor found from the capitalism vs sociology debate, but its gone way off key and becoming less about the fight and more about being pretentious because I'm still wondering how the state of third world countries economy deals with Hasbro not telling us what boxsets we will see next year.