Hasbro Banks Movie Will 'Herald A New Era'

Mike

Hasbro, Inc. is banking that "Transformers" will "herald a new era" for the toymaker. The Associated Press via USA Today quotes Hasbro's Chief Operating Office Brian Goldner saying, "'Transformers' sort of opens another chapter for us."

Read the full article here

Very bold statement, but I think it's true. Look at how hasbro relied on the spidey 3 toys to be a big hit and initially they were, but now they are clogging shelves to no end. The TF movie toys are selling out in alot of stores near me, plus mostly every toy in the movie line is a winner and they all have their plusses.

I don't really think the TF movie toys will be any different then any other movie line. Most toyline that "Herald New Eras" of toymaker are small and underrated at first, and are usually surprise successes. Toted something as a herald of a new era viva PR almost ensures that it won't be.

I don't really think the TF movie toys will be any different then any other movie line. Most toyline that "Herald New Eras" of toymaker are small and underrated at first, and are usually surprise successes. Toted something as a herald of a new era viva PR almost ensures that it won't be.

Transformers haven't exactly been a big thing in pop culture probably since the 80's. While BW does get a nod for starting the revival it still didn't have quite the same impact.

A lot of 30-40 year old guys haven't so much as seen a TF since the 80's and just the idea seems to be getting a lot of them psyched.

Oddly enough, even many women have taken interest. I can testify to that! Not just girls who have boyfriends that are into them either. (not saying they'll be collectors or anything, but fans)

This is going to be the largest amount of exposure for the franchise in it's history. Expectations will soar above the norm. I don't think it's going to disappoint either.

The thing is, TF's are still unique enough to keep drawing in interest from all different walks of life. Young and old who may or may not have ever collected before. Something about TF's are different than all the rest. It's kind of like getting 2 toys in 1 and I just don't think ANYTHING has ever managed to match their cool factor.

The influx may not even truely be felt until some of the younger kids now grow up. For all we know in 10 years all these message boards could be mobbed full of collectors. I'm sure some of us will be there to find out too.

But I think we most definitely will see more parents buying their kids the movie figures. Especially after they've seen it. I can't fathom how many Dad's will buy them for Jr. just so they can play with them themselves.

I think parents are more likely to give in when buying something for the kids if it's something they enjoy too. The movie is the ultimate bridge between toys and parents wallets.

....oh yeah, and us insignificant little collectors!

Transformers haven't exactly been a big thing in pop culture probably since the 80's. While BW does get a nod for starting the revival it still didn't have quite the same impact.

A lot of 30-40 year old guys haven't so much as seen a TF since the 80's and just the idea seems to be getting a lot of them psyched.

Oddly enough, even many women have taken interest. I can testify to that! Not just girls who have boyfriends that are into them either. (not saying they'll be collectors or anything, but fans)

This is going to be the largest amount of exposure for the franchise in it's history. Expectations will soar above the norm. I don't think it's going to disappoint either.

The thing is, TF's are still unique enough to keep drawing in interest from all different walks of life. Young and old who may or may not have ever collected before. Something about TF's are different than all the rest. It's kind of like getting 2 toys in 1 and I just don't think ANYTHING has ever managed to match their cool factor.

The influx may not even truely be felt until some of the younger kids now grow up. For all we know in 10 years all these message boards could be mobbed full of collectors. I'm sure some of us will be there to find out too.

But I think we most definitely will see more parents buying their kids the movie figures. Especially after they've seen it. I can't fathom how many Dad's will buy them for Jr. just so they can play with them themselves.

I think parents are more likely to give in when buying something for the kids if it's something they enjoy too. The movie is the ultimate bridge between toys and parents wallets.

All of these points may be true. (Have to wait and see on some), but that still doesn't mean that it's going to herald a new era. There really isn't anything that makes this any different then say Spider-Man and it's toyline. Yeah Spidey was a big hit, but the toys did just about the same as any other line and nothing really changed because of it. I don't think anything is going to change because of the TF movie line.

Well the reason that the Spidey 3 toys clog the shelves is because the OVERproduced Spiderman himself. It was like He-man all over again. The TF movie toys are different because its not the same to buy a movie Prime and to buy a Cybertron Prime or a Classics Prime.

All of these points may be true. (Have to wait and see on some), but that still doesn't mean that it's going to herald a new era. There really isn't anything that makes this any different then say Spider-Man and it's toyline. Yeah Spidey was a big hit, but the toys did just about the same as any other line and nothing really changed because of it. I don't think anything is going to change because of the TF movie line.

Then I don't know what you're definition of a new era is.

You can't make too many comparisons between superhero movies and TF's. The superheroes have been around a lot longer and I don't think there's anyone who will doubt that most everyday people knew Spiderman a helluva lot more than Optimus Prime.

Still you can say it was a new era for them as well. Most of us grew up mostly only knowing them as comic and cartoon heroes. We had some flaky movies and tv shows but nothing mind blowing.

The kids growing up now will always remember the movie characters of them first, because that's what they grew up with.

So you can define "new era" as anything that will change what defines a franchise to a generation. Marvel itself begain a new era with the successes of Spiderman and X-men.

And by the same token Transformers will start a new era with this movie. Just as g1 and BW define their own significant era's.

new era toys last one to come by was marvel legends. don't think transformers will be like that as there is nothing new about them, they transform from car or animal to robot.

Well what was so new about Marvel Legends? Superhero action figures have been around for a long time, have they not?

Just as designs for the ML figs became new and more complex so have the TF designs.

I think of it in terms like this, using an amusement park for reference.

Superhero figs are like the Tilt-A-Whirl. You go up down and all around getting dizzy and it's fun, but it gets kinda dull sometimes.

Transformers are like the biggest baddest rollercoaster in the park which changes every time you ride it so you never really know what you'll get until you do. Yeah some ups and downs but it's NEVER a dull ride!

No "new era" will happen. The movie will come, do OK, then go. Even if it's the best, it will get lost in the summer of tons of blockbusters in the minds of the average moviegoer in the long run. The fans will watch it for many years, but as Hasbro sees it, the fans don't exactly mean much.

No "new era" will happen. The movie will come, do OK, then go. Even if it's the best, it will get lost in the summer of tons of blockbusters in the minds of the average moviegoer in the long run.

It might be a new era of tf toys..maybe. I don't see the movie itself really breaking any cinematic ground.

The fans will watch it for many years, but as Hasbro sees it, the fans don't exactly mean much.

Huh? Tf fans have it better than almost any, if not all, other fandoms; we get fanwanks like they're a dime a dozen! If you don't like this stuff, that's cool, your entitled to your opinion of course, but the majority of fans are liking what they see; hasbro's done more than enough for we fans, imo.

I don't think anyone's thinking that will be so big that it will completely take over the world.

The movie line is already selling extremely well and once the movie finally is released it will most likely kick start the figure sales once again.

Let us not forget, we're not just talking about one movie either. We pretty much know that 2 is a lock and 3 most likely is too.

I don't know people say there is nothing new about this. I don't remember ever seeing any big blockbuster live action tranformer-type movies before.

Where I think the ultimate benefit to the franchise will be is in the trickle down effect from grown adults to their children. Keeping TF's strong in their consciousness is a good way of ensuring that dad's remember them at the toy store.

Like I said, we'll see how the fandom shapes up over the next several years and then we'll know for sure what kind of impact the movie will really have.

Then I don't know what you're definition of a new era is.

Well Hasbro has said themselves that they feel this will be a new era for toymakers.....not for Transformers, or Hasbro....but for toymakers as a whole. So not only would it have to be something that is different from what is out there, but something that makes other toy company's change how they do things. The orginal G.I.Joe started a new Era. Before the 12inch figure, toy soliders where little plastic army men. After Joe most Army figures offered by most companys that made them were 12 inch. Megos superheros where another line that did this. Figures where all 12inch when they came out, but the time it ended even G.I.Joe had switched to an 8inch scale. And yet another is Star Wars which ushered in the 3 3/4 figure scale that most other toymakers adopted.

When you look at TF, there is nothing different about it. It's a standard approach to a movie line, made in the standard TF way. The fact that the TF movie is a live-action movie based on a toy isn't even new. MOTU beat them to that punch in 1987. There is nothing earthshaking or new that could change the way toys are made across the board about the TF movie line. There will be no new Era as a result of this toyline.

Since I've never seen the MOTU movie, was it any good? Did filmakers respect the movie, did it have a big budget etc?

I'm not saying big budget means this film will be good, but so far this film is getting quite a bit of respect from alot of people and isn't treated as a joke. Would that be the first time for a movie based on a toyline?

Since I've never seen the MOTU movie, was it any good? Did filmakers respect the movie, did it have a big budget etc?

I'm not saying big budget means this film will be good, but so far this film is getting quite a bit of respect from alot of people and isn't treated as a joke. Would that be the first time for a movie based on a toyline?

It was very poor and didn't stay true to the characters or anything. It didn't make you feel like you could get into the characters. Skeletor was the only one who stole the show.

The TF movie I think will be different. IT's not meant to be the original show or comics but trying to get the characters across to movie goers and stay true to the heart of TFs.