25th Anniversary figures (best representation of v1's?)

firefly69

Quick question for you guys:

A lot of people are complaining about knee joints, re-using molds and other technical stuff which is fine, but as someone who is less interested in o-rings and more interested in the look's.....

My question is:

How do these figures compare to valor vs venom joe vs cobra etc? I look at these figures and I see a pretty accurate and in some cases improvement on the classic RAH v1 figures. For example, I think that the cobra trooper and snake eyes not only look amazing and really capture the v1 essence but also, you put them beside other versions and they kill the other versions (in my opinion).

I have also seen someone put a bunch of gung ho's together and I look at all the other gung ho's and they look terrible. They look like a bad character from a biker gang, while this one, looks like an awesome update of his iconic figure.

Anyways, my point is, if you forget about everything and just go by the look of the figures, how do you guys think these compare to all the other joe offerings? I am interested in hearing some of your guys thoughts on this issue....

Well yeah, they're better than VVV and JvsC, but that's not saying much as far as I'm concerned. I was never a fan of those lines, although there were a few ones that were great.

SE, Scarlett and Cobra Trooper look better than the originals, but that's not saying much either as those figures were from the very first wave back in 1982. That being said, I don't think that Cobra Commander looks better than the original, and he was from the first wave too. I certainly don't think that V2 SE, V2 SS or Flint look better than the original versions, but V1 SS, Roadblock and Gung Ho do. As for Destro, the Baroness and Duke, I think the original versions look better.

Well, it's hard to just ignore the rest. It's part of a package.

And it isn't all fair a comparison. Think of the technological changes, for example. Sure G.I. Joe has changed little in 25 years (not counting 25th, of course). But look at the improvement as the line progressed.

Face it, the original figures were, well, bland and boring. Why? Sharing a mold was necessary. G.I. Joe was just starting up as 3" a venture with some risk, I'd think. But after 25 years? G.I. Joe is a household name. Back in 1982, Hasbro was limited in what they could do. Now? Not so much.

Basically speaking, OF COURSE these are going to look better than RAH. Simply because they CAN.

Well, I for one think the new Roadblock is ten times better than the original figure. Same goes for the new v1 and v2 Snake-Eyes, as well as Scarlett. The same can be said for the mail-away hooded Cobra Commander. The original looked like a sleepy-headed Blinky from Pac-Man. (lol) I like the defiant closed fist the new one has.

In all honesty, if these figures are sturdy and hold up well, I'd say they were all improvements over their original counterparts. They are at least in terms of looks IMO.

Well, I for one think the new Roadblock is ten times better than the original figure. Same goes for the new v1 and v2 Snake-Eyes, as well as Scarlett. The same can be said for the mail-away hooded Cobra Commander. The original looked like a sleepy-headed Blinky from Pac-Man. (lol) I like the defiant closed fist the new one has.

In all honesty, if these figures are sturdy and hold up well, I'd say they were all improvements over their original counterparts. They are at least in terms of looks IMO.

See, that's what I mean though, how could they NOT look better? These aren't Corps figures. @smilepunch@

G.I. Joe was just starting up as 3" a venture with some risk, I'd think. But after 25 years? G.I. Joe is a household name. Back in 1982, Hasbro was limited in what they could do. Now? Not so much.

Not to be a nagger, but GIJoe was, of course, a household name 18 years *before* the launch of the Real American Hero line. Hasbro cut corners, but not because the *name* was unproven... just the size-class. The reason RAH was so popular right out of the gate is *in spite* of the cheap and repetitve design of the 1982 line-up, and largely depended on the new generation of fathers who had played with Joes as a boy, and were now buying toys for their kids.

GIJoe was familiar ground, compared to the barbarian he-men and intergalactic robots that were the mainstays of the 80's toy store.

Speaking of CORPS figures...

How long before Lanard tries to mimic the NEW style of Joes, as seen here for the 25th line?

They went T-Crotch way back when, just after the first waves of t-crotched Joes hit the market, but Hasbro changed up real quick, and Lanard (like always) kept with the same molds and style over these past few years since.

I was wondering if they're about due for another change up, and if they'll copy these?

Anyways, my point is, if you forget about everything and just go by the look of the figures, how do you guys think these compare to all the other joe offerings? I am interested in hearing some of your guys thoughts on this issue....

I'm looking forward to figures that can truly squat or crouch, or kneel one-legged. None of the previous incarnations have been able to do that. If any of the figures have double-hinged elbows, then I look forward to doing a tighter weapons grip on a rifle or SMG.

Having characters that can step up or lean in a more realistic/less stiff manner is something I've wanted.

I'm looking forward to more details, on both figures and weapons. Gung Ho's opening M-79 grenade launcher fits that kind of want.

The added points of articulation increases the possibilties of these figures, and more possibilites means more fun to me. Just that alone has inspired with tangent interests, like dioramas and carefully upgrading my existing vehicles with added details and paint to make them "worthy" of these newer figures.

Of course, if Hasbro releases vehicles with more detail ( like the Jungle Strike/Night Ops Humvee) then I will squeal like a school girl.

How long before Lanard tries to mimic the NEW style of Joes, as seen here for the 25th line?

They went T-Crotch way back when, just after the first waves of t-crotched Joes hit the market, but Hasbro changed up real quick, and Lanard (like always) kept with the same molds and style over these past few years since.

I was wondering if they're about due for another change up, and if they'll copy these?

I dunno.

At first I got the impression that Lanard was aiming to match Hasbro because they went to T-crotches while upping the details on their figures. But nothing else changed after that.

Their vehicles remained the same, and all they did was re-release stuff over and over. I get the impression now that the T-crotch thing was just a way to save money, and having done so, they've seen no reason to change.

Their early T-crotch figures were actually paint really nice too--the ones we have on the pegs here right now look pretty bad compared to the few I bought when they first appeared.

Of course, if Hasbro releases vehicles with more detail ( like the Jungle Strike/Night Ops Humvee) then I will squeal like a school girl.

I'm not banking on Hasbro going hog wild with vehicles, even in 2008 (assuming the line is selling beyond expectations by that point). Rereleases of the few good ones they've done in recent year would be the most I could hope for. So if they do even a few, I'm going to hope for a modern, realistic tank and a blackhawk-type chopper. For the moment, I'll be using my NAC chopper, and the Jungle-camo Patriot Grizzly I have... but paired up with the realistc Humvee makes for sad comparison.

On the Cobra side, I'll just be wishing for updates of the Stinger jeep (not a Humvee repaint) and FANG copters... and a rerelease of the new HISS with proper twin-Vulcan turret guns.

i like most of the new designs so far i will have to actually have them in hand to tell fully. i don't know about the rest of you but it's not just about how a figure looks but also about how it feels.

i like all of them except for Destro and cobra commander. Destro's legs are to thin in comparison to his body and something about cobra commander just sucks and i can't put my finger on it.

i think the rest are pretty awesome but my major complaint is the inconvenient 5 pack you have to buy. like what if i don't want Gung ho?

Honestly, I'd settle for tweaked re-issues in the place of completely new items. Take the VAMP/Stinger for example; add in a detailed radio stack and instrument panel in the dash, maybe a stickshift in the centre console--if there is one. Make some small detailed additions to the chassis' screwholes and open tie-down slots--maybe a more detailed gas can as a add-on. Small details that were simplified the first time around could be the tings that are addressed here. More detailed stickers/decals--so the overall look is leaning towards a model-kit......still a toy, but a more intricate looking toy.

Things like giving the R.A.M. cycle some actual detail handlebars and engine gauges would go a long way I think

If they go that route, it would get me really excited--kind of like a GIJOE-Remastered take on things.

Honestly, I'd settle for tweaked re-issues in the place of completely new items.

That's assuming the new figures will be compatible with the old vehicles. Even where vintage sculpts are concerned, not all the later figures fit into those little cockpits. And as it is, the 25th figures look just a shade bigger than the average vintage figure... I'm doubting you'll be able to squeeze a 25th Stinger Driver into the original jeep.

And talking about Hasbro, the liklihood that they'd tweak an old toy like that... I don't think I've ever seen such a thing done. My guess is straight rereleases, completely new vehicles... or neither.

Honestly, I'd settle for tweaked re-issues in the place of completely new items.

That's assuming the new figures will be compatible with the old vehicles. Even where vintage sculpts are concerned, not all the later figures fit into those little cockpits. And as it is, the 25th figures look just a shade bigger than the average vintage figure... I'm doubting you'll be able to squeeze a 25th Stinger Driver into the original jeep.

If the figures have those double hinged knees, they can probably scrunch up enough to fit in a cockpit, The iffy question is the width of their shoulders.

And talking about Hasbro, the liklihood that they'd tweak an old toy like that... I don't think I've ever seen such a thing done. My guess is straight rereleases, completely new vehicles... or neither.

They HAVE done it before, but not to the degree that I was talking about-- several vehicles (VAMP , HISS etc.)have been re-purposed with added parts before to create "new versions. If adding a new cockpit tub or snap-on instrument panel does the trick then it would be much the same kind of repurposing. Its not exactly what I've talked about, but its along similar lines.

Realistically, I expect straight re-issues and then eventually all-new stuff.

I dunno.

At first I got the impression that Lanard was aiming to match Hasbro because they went to T-crotches while upping the details on their figures. But nothing else changed after that.

Their vehicles remained the same, and all they did was re-release stuff over and over. I get the impression now that the T-crotch thing was just a way to save money, and having done so, they've seen no reason to change.

Their early T-crotch figures were actually paint really nice too--the ones we have on the pegs here right now look pretty bad compared to the few I bought when they first appeared.

I grabbed up the first of the new t-crotch assortment early on, when the eyeballs on'em weren't all screwed up, but since then (just like you stated) they've pretty much all been the same molds, repainted, and not much better. The vehicles catch my eye every now and then, and the accessories also, but that's about it.

If these new Joes take of, stick around and continue for awhile longer than anticipated....I'd bet ol' Lanard might do SOMETHING to keep up, although it's not likely to be much, if it's more expensive to make (like you mentioned).

G.I. Joe was just starting up as 3" a venture with some risk, I'd think. But after 25 years? G.I. Joe is a household name. Back in 1982, Hasbro was limited in what they could do. Now? Not so much.

Not to be a nagger, but GIJoe was, of course, a household name 18 years *before* the launch of the Real American Hero line. Hasbro cut corners, but not because the *name* was unproven... just the size-class. The reason RAH was so popular right out of the gate is *in spite* of the cheap and repetitve design of the 1982 line-up, and largely depended on the new generation of fathers who had played with Joes as a boy, and were now buying toys for their kids.

GIJoe was familiar ground, compared to the barbarian he-men and intergalactic robots that were the mainstays of the 80's toy store.

I didn't say it was popular right out of the gate. I said it was a risky venture. Yeah, the brand had the stuff from the 60s and early 70s. But it wasn't just name. How many of those fathers looked at the 3" Joes and thought "what the hell is this? This isn't G.I. Joe!" Going by brand recognition, it was a big risk to make such a SIGNIFICANT change. That was part of the reason they all shared parts in 82.

But what made G.I. Joe what it is was the characterization and story (and I'm not even talking the comics and toon). 12" Joe was just a generic "American soldier". People may know that G.I. Joe was 12", but when people think G.I.Joe, what do they think? COBRA! Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander, etc.

I'm saying that I don't think "brand recognition" is as strong a factor given how significantly different 1964 G.I.Joe, 1974 G.I. Joe and 1982 G.I. Joe were from each other. Of course you may be right. I think there was generally more negativity towards Sigma Six and positive. Sigma Six was a s significantly different from RAH as RAH was from 12". But, of course, it wasn't JUST brand recognition (as in the G.I. Joe name) there was also the character recognition.

They HAVE done it before, but not to the degree that I was talking about-- several vehicles (VAMP , HISS etc.)have been re-purposed with added parts before to create "new versions. If adding a new cockpit tub or snap-on instrument panel does the trick then it would be much the same kind of repurposing. Its not exactly what I've talked about, but its along similar lines.

What they did ti the VAMP was just terrible, and other modified vehicles like the Rattler, snowcat, and polar battle bear were ruined by add-on gimmicks like new over-sized missles or that sound attack stuff. I would definitely prefer straight reissues or repaints. New vehicles based on the classics isn't a bad idea at all when done right, but right now there are some vehicles for which originals are too expensive and a reissue/repaint would be perfect, like the Whale and Tomahawk.

What they did ti the VAMP was just terrible

I take it you don't mean the Mk II or Stinger? ;)

I say bring on a WHALE repaint, make it a dark navy grey.

I agree whole heartedly, and I think most of these figs are great improvements to their original counterparts, Duke doesn't have his dumb grin anymore, RB is finally larger then the other guys, Gung-Ho looks like a large intimidating Marine, and the list continues

I mean this atrocity:

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/04/vamp3/

The re-shaped rollbar and hood totally trash it, and if it's anything like the firebat, short-sighted Hasbro most likely ruined the molds permanently to make it.

If the figures have those double hinged knees, they can probably scrunch up enough to fit in a cockpit, The iffy question is the width of their shoulders.

But their legs are also wide apart when sitting due to the crotch piece. I doubt you could squeeze the legs together enough to get them under the dash. They'd have to ride with one leg dangling out the door.

I mean this atrocity:

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/04/vamp3/

The re-shaped rollbar and hood totally trash it, and if it's anything like the firebat, short-sighted Hasbro most likely ruined the molds permanently to make it.

Yeah, I knew what you meant, hence the wink. Still, it does prove that, at least back in the '80s, they were able to tweak old molds and still make them cool.

Too bad about that VAMP, though... it does look like crap.